Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller II update - BLOG - Page 59 — Parallax Forums

Propeller II update - BLOG

Comments

• Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2012-11-28 08:40
    cgracey wrote: »
    That FPGA could only support a 32KB main memory. It wouldn't do 64KB, anyway. Someone said it could do 48KB, but that's not a power of 2 and I'm too tired to think, anymore. I've been up all night and now I'm falling asleep in my chair and waking up with a sore neck, dry mouth, and drool.

Really nice work Chip - now go get some well deserved sleep...
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2012-11-28 08:44
    That's what I'm working on next. I should have a lot of documentation ready in a few days.

Have you tried the monitor?

Yes!!!! I am able to run the monitor. I guess that means that my P2 is up and running. Thanks Chip!!!!!!!
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2012-11-28 08:47
    Hi Chip.

NOT Yet.

Made some test board to show what happens on P0-P31.

BUT already programmed DE0-NANO

That's what I'm working on next. I should have a lot of documentation ready in a few days.

Have you tried the monitor?
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2012-11-28 08:50
    David Betz wrote: »
    Yes!!!! I am able to run the monitor. I guess that means that my P2 is up and running. Thanks Chip!!!!!!!

Thanks for trying that out. NOW I can go to bed.

BTW, to turn on the LEDs from the monitor, just start cogs (that don't exist):

>2+0
    >3+0
    >4+0
    >7+0
    >m
    1 0 0 1 1 1 0 M
    >2-
    >3-
    >4-
    >7-
    edited 2012-11-28 08:56
    Thanks for trying that out. NOW I can go to bed.

BTW, to turn on the LEDs from the monitor, just start cogs (that don't exist):

>2+0
    >3+0
    >4+0
    >7+0
    >m
    1 0 0 1 1 1 0 M
    >2-
    >3-
    >4-
    >7-
    Cool! That works! I guess I'm up and running with no excuse now for not writing P2 code!

Thanks again and get some rest!
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2012-11-28 09:43
    I'm missing all the fun here.

Chip
    That FPGA could only support a 32KB main memory.

But Chip...after you have had a well deserved rest...The DE0 Nano board has a 32MB SDRAM on it. Is it not possible to hook that up as HUB RAM?
    Or is it so that this Prop implementation does not allow for such a wide address bus anway?
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2012-11-28 09:58
    Heater. wrote: »

Chip

But Chip...after you have had a well deserved rest...The DE0 Nano board has a 32MB SDRAM on it. Is it not possible to hook that up as HUB RAM?
    Or is it so that this Prop implementation does not allow for such a wide address bus anway?

Chip hopefully getting some well-deserved sleep, so I will jump in...

Assuming that the DE0-nano configuration is a cycle accurate emulation (but running at 60Mhz) it is unlikely that the DRAM could emulate hub memory without drastically slowing down the emulation.

The 16Mbit x 16 wide SDRAM would require 8 cycles to clock in (or out) the 128 bit hub width, and would also need RAS and CAS cycles, and while the emulation would have 8 prop cycles available, it would not be trivial to get all the SDRAM access accomplished in that time (hmm... maybe if the SDRAM was clocked at 120Mhz...)

What I would like to see is Chip "enabling" (once he had a lot of rest) the SDRAM on the nano as if it was hooked up to prop2 pins that cannot be brought outside.. after all, the SDRAM is connected to the FPGA pins, so it should be possible to map them in the same way they would be mapped in a real prop - thus allowing the SDRAM transfer instruction to work :)
    edited 2012-11-28 09:59
    Heater. wrote: »

Chip

I intend to get the SDRAM pins mapped to the Prop2 pins, but that memory is not usable as hub space because it cannot be accessed randomly on a per-clock basis. It's like a freight train that takes umpteen clocks to get turned around. It can be accessed by a cog, though, that serves other cogs.
    edited 2012-11-28 10:14
    Chip posted the source for the Propeller II monitor somewhere in this thread but I can't find it. Can someone point me to the right post? That is the largest sample of Propeller II code that I know about and I'd like to use it to get an idea of how to program my new DE0-Nano Propeller II emulator.

Thanks,
    David
    edited 2012-11-28 10:15
    Chip,

OK, gotcha. But brilliant, so we can get some big XMM programs running somehow.
    edited 2012-11-28 10:17
    Chip posted the source for the Propeller II monitor somewhere in this thread but I can't find it. Can someone point me to the right post? That is the largest sample of Propeller II code that I know about and I'd like to use it to get an idea of how to program my new DE0-Nano Propeller II emulator.

Thanks,
    David

Post #1506
    edited 2012-11-28 10:18
    Post #1506
    Thanks Chip! I guess you decided you didn't need sleep after all? :-)
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2012-11-28 10:38
    Hi Chip.

If You change You mind.

So tomorow You will have Gerbers to that PCB
    1024 x 512 - 115K
  • nutsonnutson Posts: 242
    edited 2012-11-28 10:55
    David, how did you remap the COM port? My propplug is at COM11.

Nico
    edited 2012-11-28 10:58
    nutson wrote: »
    David, how did you remap the COM port? My propplug is at COM11.

Nico
    Go to the properties tab in the device manager and click on the "Advanced" button.
    edited 2012-11-28 11:00
    Go to the properties tab in the device manager and click on the "Advanced" button.
    Oops, sorry. You have to first select the "Hardware" tab in properties.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    edited 2012-11-28 11:42

Is this the milestone of a first off-site pulse ?

Does this Prop II FPGA Emulation now warrant its very own forum section ?
    edited 2012-11-28 11:42
    Dave, Sapieha, I managed to program my DE0 board, and remapped the Propplug to COM2 (checked with plain propeller) But I get no activity with a terminal program (9600 Baud) or Pnut.exe. Any suggestion what I could have overlooked?
    edited 2012-11-28 11:45
    jmg wrote: »
    Is this the milestone of a first off-site pulse ?

Does this Prop II FPGA Emulation now warrant its very own forum section ?
    It's definitely pulsing! Now I have to spend some time reading over Chip's ROM code to learn enough about the instruction set to write a simple program. I guess instruction set documentation will be coming soon which will make this much easier. I'm particularly interested in experimenting with the CLUT instructions.
    edited 2012-11-28 14:11
    My PII emulator is working both with a terminal program and using Pnut.exe. The Quartus 12.1 standalone programmer did the job o.k. That makes 3 succesfull implementations. Great and incredibly fast job, Chip, its only a few days ago that th DE0-nano came into the picture.

Regards

Nico Hatatink
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2012-11-28 14:14
    wow - i am missing all the fun.

btw beware there are two different deo boards - but only 1 DE0-nano.

definately time flor a new thread for deo-nano.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2012-11-28 14:18
    Ken: Do you think this is newsworthy? Perhaps Parallax Semi could generate some excellent free press - no other vendor offers this.
    EE JOURNAL
    HACKADAY

ETC.
    edited 2012-11-28 14:28
    A new Prop II DE0-NANO thread is a great idea. I'm going to order one now. ZiCog need a head start:)
  • KyeKye Posts: 2,200
    edited 2012-11-28 14:34
    Hi Chip & Ken,

Very cool,

@Clusso - Releasing info about a new chip without everything done is not a good idea. There's an amazing amount of Prop Chip bashing people out there. Do not give them something to taste until the meal is complete.

Thanks,
    edited 2012-11-28 15:06
    If you want to inspect hub memory after your program has run, just put the following code at the end of your program:
    		coginit	monitor_pgm,monitor_ptr	'relaunch cog0 with monitor

monitor_pgm	long	$70C			'monitor program address
    monitor_ptr	long	90<<9 + 91		'monitor parameter (conveys tx/rx pins)

This will launch the ROM Monitor and let you view what your program did to hub memory. The monitor only affects the hub memory when you give it a command to do so. So, when the monitor starts up, hub memory is just as your program left it, ready to be inspected.
    edited 2012-11-28 15:14
    Sapieha wrote: »
    Hi Chip.

If You change You mind.

So tomorow You will have Gerbers to that PCB

Wow! It looks like you are anticipating using some taller female headers? You'll need clearance over your parts that are under the DE0-Nano board, or maybe you'll just remove the acrylic cover.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2012-11-28 15:29
    Well I am a bit disappointed as I got myself a DE2-115 but now the focus has shifted to the DE0 and I still don't have anything running, or have I missed something in the thread?
    edited 2012-11-28 15:32
    Well I am a bit disappointed as I got myself a DE2-115 but now the focus has shifted to the DE0 and I still don't have anything running, or have I missed something in the thread?
    I think the DE2-115 board needs a PCB that Parallax is in the process of making.
    edited 2012-11-28 16:01

The DE2-115 board needs an HSMC adapter board to get the signals out of it. The little DE0-Nano, just uses .100" headers, so it was easy to connect to.

Wait... there is a 40-pin header on the DE2-115 that we could plug a Prop Plug into. Do you have a Prop Plug? Let me see if I can make a special configuration for you.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2012-11-28 16:04
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Ken: Do you think this is newsworthy? Perhaps Parallax Semi could generate some excellent free press - no other vendor offers this.
    EE JOURNAL
    HACKADAY

ETC.

Yes, I do. I'm watching it closely for a bit and seeing what Chip decides board-wise. When we know where he's headed, then I'll round up the troops for some PR action and we'll start a thread for Propeller 2 core programming in board "X". When Chip was here at my place last week I extracted enough information from him to get behind this movement.