Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P8X32A-Q44 ProtoBoard - Your Input Requested from Parallax - Page 7 — Parallax Forums

P8X32A-Q44 ProtoBoard - Your Input Requested from Parallax

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2007-02-03 22:02
    bassmaster,

You must be correct. We may be citing the leaded part number. I'll find out for certain. At least there's an RoHS version. Without that we'd have big problems selling this board in Europe.

Dennis,

Send me your shipping address and I'll set one aside for you courtesy of Parallax. I'd like to see you have a Prop Proto Board so you have something to do besides study. Our forum members must be supported with Propeller hardware!

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-02-04 04:33
    I can weigh in on the RoHS situation. Norcomp has discontinued production of the non-RoHS part. It takes a while before Digikey removes discontinued items from thier database. Their was a point where I quoted the non-RoHS part and our purchasing agent asked me about it because Digikey showed a quantity on hand of 0. I directed her to the RoHS part which was what we purchased. I do need to update the documentation for the product for more than just this and make sure all webpages reflect the correction. I appologize for any confusion this has caused.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • bassmasterbassmaster Posts: 181
    edited 2007-02-04 04:42
    no problem Paul, glad it was caught early.
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2007-02-05 16:55
    Anyone know how much of the 5V current an app could consume without choking the Prop?
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-02-05 17:10
    The 5v regulator could be completely separate from the 3.3v regulator. That is the way the Hydra is and it provides the maximum output [noparse][[/noparse]maybe 750ma are available when using a mouse and keyboard].

The dilemma is that the mouse and keyboard do use quite a bit of power.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
    edited 2007-02-05 17:16
    I was not going to use mouse and keyboard, just an LCD screen.

No Problem, There is plenty room to place in another regulator if it can put out enough. Just thought it would be convienent to use the one provided.
    edited 2007-02-05 18:26
    The regulators are daisy chained and handle 1.5A a piece.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-02-05 18:29
    > The dilemma is that the mouse and keyboard do use quite a bit of power.

Yesterday I measured my Parallax keyboard. In normal usage, it requires 20ma---because in normal usage it has
    one LED on. With no LEDs on, it requires 10ma; with all three on, it goes up to 40ma.

I have not yet measured the mouse.

-tom
    edited 2007-02-06 13:13
    Thanks Paul,

The ezLCD states that it needs 2A, so I will just add another regulator to my circuit. There should be plenty room left.
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,252
    edited 2007-02-06 15:48
    Hi Bambino,

How big of an LCD are you running?
    Got a link to it? 2Amps(10 watts at 5V) sounds like a lot.
    I can run a 400MHz Via x86 compatable motherboard, processor loaded down, with 512MB memory, 1GB Compact flash, keyboard, mouse and 100BaseT network for 10 watts.
    Got a link to the specs on it?
    edited 2007-02-06 16:08
    hinv,

It's the ezLCD004. It splits the input into several different voltages to run it's accesories. Not just an LCD screen. The add ons to it actually turn it into an avr Programmer, thus the extra current. I hope since I am only using the screen and the SD Card that my consumption will be a lot less.

Right now I am just preparing for the worst!

http://store.earthlcd.com/LCD-Products/ezLCD;jsessionid=ac112b321f43dd63c77d8db24e77bd61c2e6159e1a86.e3eSc38TaNqNe3yObh0NaNiTe6fznA5Pp7ftolbGmkTy
    edited 2007-02-06 16:24
    Thank you hinv,

Your skeptisism prompted me to look at the manuel again. 2A is the rating of the walwart that ships with it.

The module Max consumption is 1.3 amps, and typ. 1A.roll.gif
    edited 2007-02-07 20:43
    Well guys (and gals),

We just received the shipment of Propeller Protoboards today, and I have the picture to prove it:

attachment.php?attachmentid=45362

The stack of boxes immediately behind Mark are the rest of the shipment. For those of you who have yet to purchase any, do so quick before marketing realizes we have them and discontinues the introductory price.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 2/7/2007 8:56:07 PM GMT
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2007-02-07 20:46
    And there was much rejoicing!
  • RetrobitsRetrobits Posts: 46
    edited 2007-02-07 21:40
    Hi there,

Having spent virtually 100% of my electronics hobby time using breadboards, can anyone point me to an educational resource that would introduce me to how I would use a board such as this?· I have a permanent project idea that this board looks ideal for.· However, there are some things about it that I don't understand, mostly, how would I hook up components to one another?

I can see from the picture that there are traces from the surface mount Prop to certain pre-drilled pads/holes on the board, presumably giving access to the Prop pins.· Some of these traces go to the proper pins on accessory mounting areas, like the VGA + PS/2 connector.· There are areas of the board that appear to be busses, like Vdd.· Also, there are areas of real estate on the board that have no traces, presumably I would use these areas to put components unique to my own design.· Given that the holes have solder pads attached, it appears I would use those pads for soldering/mounting.

So, aside from the pre-populated traces, how are interconnects accomplished?· Are jumper wires used, or is there some other way to hook up components?

Thanks for any pointers folks could provide.· I'm exciting to start taking the next steps in the hobby, including using proto boards, and eventually a dedicated PC board layout.

- Earl
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-02-07 22:16
    Basically, you buy a spool (or several spools of different colors) of hookup wire. I often use wire-wrap wire since it's a bit finer, has good stiffness, solders well, and has good insulation strippers available. I use IC sockets that have a little bit of "tail" on the pin sockets so they project a bit past the back surface of the board. I "tack" the sockets and other components in place with a little bit of solder, clip off the excess component lead length, then go about wrapping a few turns (typically 2) of the wire-wrap wire around the leads of the components or sockets and solder in place. If I have a lot of wires I'm routing over the same route, I may solder a "post" (usually a 1/2" piece of heavy wire) into a spare hole near a "corner" of the route and use that to hold the wires in place, then bend it over or cut off the excess later. If a discrete component attaches to a socket pin, I may just bend the lead over so it touches the socket pin, then solder. If there's not much interconnection, I try to do it all on the top surface of the board, put the wire ends through a hole, bend over and solder to the socket pin or component lead in the next hole over. If I'm using wire-wrap wire, I try to strip it so the insulation projects through the hole and a tiny bit beyond (so the plastic protects the wire as it's bent sharply over, then solder the wire to the connection on the adjacent hole.
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2007-02-08 17:25

So I hate to ask but............

Any ETA on when the Pre-Orders will ship?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2007-02-08 18:10
    Hi Mike,

Today, or tomorrow at the very latest. The kitting staff was assembling the Prop Proto Board Accessory Packs yesterday afternoon. We thought that these boards would arrive a bit later in February, so [noparse][[/noparse]internally, at least!] we're ahead of our schedule.

Thanks Mike Green for the explanation on how to solder on this board, by the way.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2007-02-08 18:16
    Dang! You guys are too quick!· I need to get a couple component kits ordered!
    Off to the Sales pages to make this shipment!

-Marty
    edited 2007-02-08 18:37
    Today or tommorrow.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-02-08 18:51
    Sweet!

Thanks Ken, Paul

Off to mouser to order some more SD sockets and bits an pieces!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2007-02-09 08:35
    And they've begun shipping.

smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2007-02-09 09:01
    I got an email notice around 5pm that mine shipped [noparse]:)[/noparse] [noparse]:)[/noparse] [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.mikronauts.com - a new blog about microcontrollers
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-02-09 15:57
    My email notice arrived around 4:43 pm PST.

Now for the shipping to get it into my hands. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2007-02-10 15:44
    I don't need VGA for my protoboard but would like keyboard or mouse. Will the this connector work?
    Digikey shielded right angle receptacle part number 275-1049-ND
    edited 2007-02-10 22:22
    The clincher for chosing the part was that it maintains the proper pin configuration and mounting holes for both PS/2 and VGA connectors. So in theory you should be able to use either·the vga or PS/2s without the other. The theory comes in because the two PS/2 connectors are packed pretty close and when you get your board you will see the PS/2 side mounting holes are very close to each other. Rather than using the shielded variety which would allow no room for error, you may want to get the unshielded variety (the type used on the demo board), this way if you find the parts do overhang thier mounting hole, you could file down some of the plastic housing to get them to fit into thier respective holes, if you used the shielded variety, they may work, but if they don't you are left with little recourse other than removing the shielding or purchasing the unshielded variety.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • Brian_BBrian_B Posts: 841
    edited 2007-02-12 16:41
    Hi, what do I have to do to plug my proto board into 12 volt ?

Brian

Ps - they look better in person
    edited 2007-02-12 19:00
    You can use 12V supply on them as-is. We just make it a policy to rate input for our boards as 6-9V to be conservative, the issue is the higher the voltage differential, the hotter the regulator will get, and if you are drawing a lot of current it will get even hotter. A frequent tech support question is about the unexpected heat of a part so we underate the input voltage to minimize those calls.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-02-12 23:56
    Happiness is a whole box of Propeller·ProtoBoards!

Here's one populated with the accessory kit and I added the TV interface. Right now running Mike's Propeller OS. Now where did I put those SD card sockets..........

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

Post Edited (Mike Cook) : 2/13/2007 12:00:47 AM GMT
    1701 x 1091 - 610K
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-02-13 00:04
    YaHoooo! yeah.gifcool.gif

The 6-pack of ProtoBoards arrived today. They really do look nicely done. Thank you Parallax.

Now to get the present project done and out of the way.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn