Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P8X32A-Q44 ProtoBoard - Your Input Requested from Parallax - Page 6 — Parallax Forums

P8X32A-Q44 ProtoBoard - Your Input Requested from Parallax

Comments

• Luis DigitalLuis Digital Posts: 371
    edited 2007-01-16 15:32
    If I order now (by means of my distributor in Dominican Republic), in how many days will be list the order?

6x100 for the poor people of Dominican Republic? smilewinkgrin.gif
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2007-01-16 16:19
    Any chance the Pre-order will still be available friday?
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-01-16 20:58
    Yes pre-sale will still be up then.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • samsn4samsn4 Posts: 49
    edited 2007-01-17 19:48
    in the picture attached was posted prevously, Where can i find the wire sockets that are mounted around the propellar IC? and are they included in the optional parts kit for it ?

THanks
    772 x 574 - 250K
    edited 2007-01-17 20:26
    Yes they are included in the accessory pack.

Correction, we have decided to not include those parts in the Accessory pack. The intent of the board is for permanent projects and the headers are used for prototyping, also thier cost to us is significant enough to affect the price we can offer the Accessory pack for an item not everyone will use. You can easily find them on your own, using either a 1x10 or 2x10 pin socket will work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 1/17/2007 8:58:17 PM GMT
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2007-01-17 22:35
    doesn't parallax already offer the 2x10 as the appmod header in the component shop?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2007-01-17 22:49
    yup!

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=450-02003

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
  • Brian_BBrian_B Posts: 842
    edited 2007-01-17 22:56
    Hi,
    Are these being shipped , or just pre-order ?

Thank's Brian
    edited 2007-01-17 23:02
    Right now from what I know, these are pre-order, probably will ship some time between now and 45 days. If its like the Propeller D40 chip pre-order, they will sell out and then there will be an additional 30 to 45 day·delay before they get more.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
    edited 2007-01-17 23:07
    We have already sold 1/4 of our original quantity being manufactured, so there is a definite possibility of selling out before we actually ship.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-01-17 23:09
    better get'em now or wait! I knew this would be BIG!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
  • Brian_BBrian_B Posts: 842
    edited 2007-01-17 23:21
    Got my order in , thank's Mike
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2007-01-17 23:22
    Heck, I ordered 5 and I'm not even sure I know what to use them for yet.... I just wanted 5 around just in case... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
    AppBee -·2.4GHz Wireless Adapters & transceivers·for the BASIC Stamp & Other controllers·
    edited 2007-01-17 23:26
    Oh, as far as headers go, you really don't want the AppMod header, way too expensive (2.95 from Parallax) and the pins are very long. Here's what I use from digikey for the headers for 0.98 each: search for S4310-ND, choose Sullins is asked.

http://catalog.digikey.com/scripts/partsearch.dll?Detail?name=S4310-ND

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    AppBee -·2.4GHz Wireless Adapters & transceivers·for the BASIC Stamp & Other controllers·
    edited 2007-01-17 23:44
    Martin is correct, there are always cheaper places to get the same thing (headers, sockets, resistors, whatever)!

But Parallax carries these items for convenience so it can be a almost a 'one stop shop'. Sometimes navigating those big catalog web sites (www.digikey.com or www.mouser.com) really confuse the newbies, that just need a few discrete parts.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
    edited 2007-01-18 00:30
    Mike Cook said...

Martin is correct, there are always cheaper places to get the same thing (headers, sockets, resistors, whatever)!

But Parallax carries these items for convenience so it can be a almost a 'one stop shop'. Sometimes navigating those big catalog web sites (www.digikey.com or www.mouser.com) really confuse the newbies, that just need a few discrete parts.

But what my main point was, is that the appMod header is NOT what·is needed·anyway.· It's made to plug into a header such as the one I pointed out.· I use the appmod headers (and buy from Parallax because I can't find the component numbers I need - like Mike said, it's a battle) to go with the adapters I sell to PLUG INTO the Board of education.· But again, what you want for the board itself is a different part than the appMod header.· I wasn't trying to undercut Parallax's sales of these.

-Martin
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,252
    edited 2007-01-18 02:44
    Actually, I was thinking of getting the ApMod Header and stacking the boards with them. I thaught I might have a go at Chip's parallel processing idea.
    I am assuming I can pull the pins I really don't want in the header right?
    edited 2007-01-18 02:57
    If you are going to stack, the appMods are great, just too long for a PCB so they all need to be cut down, but after that, stack away! As far as pulling pins, it'd be a battle, you'd be better off simply cutting off the ones you don't want. And it's no problem having extra pins, simply don't connect anything to them.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2007-01-18 07:40
    Martin Hebel said...
    Heck, I ordered 5 and I'm not even sure I know what to use them for yet.... I just wanted 5 around just in case... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

-Martin

Same here.

I only have one active Propeller project going at the time, and in that, this board wouldn't even fit.
    (There's 'a few' on the backburner, but the gods only knows when I ever get around to them)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-01-29 22:25
    The accessory kit is available for preorder! It doesn't include the female headers, so it's just a few resistors, the big old dual
    PS/2/VGA connector, a few servo headers, and a jumper.

Looks like Digikey is out of the PS/2/VGA connector, and I can't find an alternate source, so this accessory kit may be the only
    way to get that connector for a bit. I figure it's worth it just for the connector.
    edited 2007-01-29 22:36
    Marketing did a cost benefit analysis on the components of the accessory kit and determined the cost of the female headers wasn't worth it given the target for this board (they are nearly $2 for each). Since the board is intended to be populated on the board in through hole fashion, a part who's primary application is in breadboarding didn't seem like a proper fit.

We are the likely culprit for Digikey's lack of availibility, we just puchased the part for our kit.

BTW, I just approved the first article, this means I received working production samples and authorized production for the entire order.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2007-01-31 07:17
    . . . and that entire order should be in our office, ready to ship, no later than February 15th!

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2007-01-31 07:30
    Woohooo!!!!

I ordered 4 so far·and my best·friend ordered 2.

I also ordered five SX48 proto boards, ten SX28 dips and a second·SX Key; I got a used sx-lite kit from ebay a few weeks ago and found some clever uses for SX chips [noparse]:)[/noparse] ... and yes, it has to to with Propellers [noparse]:)[/noparse] [noparse]:)[/noparse] [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...
    . . . and that entire order should be in our office, ready to ship, no later than February 15th!

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.mikronauts.com - a new blog about microcontrollers
  • JoannaKJoannaK Posts: 44
    edited 2007-01-31 22:40
    Ordered couple of these today.. with Dip-Propellers and usb-adapter. Shipping cost calculator don't seem to work on international orders, but I do hope they'll be reasonable.
  • bassmasterbassmaster Posts: 181
    edited 2007-02-03 17:16
    the vga /ps2 connector part number in the kit is not rohs compliant, will this change?
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2007-02-03 18:21
    bassmaster,

DigiKey shows the part as non-compliant, but the Parallax web shows it as RoHS-compliant.

I'll have to check into why our internal planning believes the part is RoHS-compliant when it appears obviously not to be.

If it is not, we could have a problem. If Norcomm isn't going to make it RoHS-compliant, we'll either mold our own, talk them into making it RoHS-compliant, or find an alternative supplier.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Ken Gracey
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2007-02-03 18:35
    As usual, I am out of money just when there is a good deal to be had, and I will have to watch them be sold out and wait until the second round of prototype boards comes in to buy them later at a slightly higher price... One of the joys of being a college student: universities make you wait and wait and wait to get your stipend money, and think you'll live on smiles and sunshine for a month until it comes in. At least I HAVE a stipend; doing an internship for NASA for a monthly check from the University sure beats working for McDonalds, even if I do have to wait longer to get paid! I wonder how long the wait will be if the first round of boards sells out and I have to wait for the next?
  • bassmasterbassmaster Posts: 181
    edited 2007-02-03 18:36
    No problem, I am just·prototyping now, so it does not affect me, fyi, the ROHC part # is 999-H15-PS2L571 so it might be a typo on your site.

Post Edited (bassmaster) : 2/4/2007 1:24:13 AM GMT
  • Goran (Sweden)Goran (Sweden) Posts: 68
    edited 2007-02-03 20:51
    It would have been nice to have the prop chip in PLCC to be able to add a quick connector.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2007-02-03 21:59
    I can't wait to get my propeller protoboards... I got my sx48 protoboards in, got one running last nite - nice little board; I'll use them as i/o coprocessors for the propeller [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.mikronauts.com - a new blog about microcontrollers