Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P8X32A-Q44 ProtoBoard - Your Input Requested from Parallax - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

P8X32A-Q44 ProtoBoard - Your Input Requested from Parallax

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-13 15:36
    Very pretty (and a bargain as well)
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2006-12-13 15:37
    Rsadeika,

No problem. PropPlug, PropClip or USB2SER! All of the adapters work with the board!

We kept the USB circuitry off this board to keep the costs down. This way, you need only one USB adapter for your six pack!

Ken Gracey
  • ciw1973ciw1973 Posts: 64
    edited 2006-12-13 15:38
    Count me in for six at $100, and I'm quite happy to pre-order these now, or as soon as I'm able.
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2006-12-13 15:43
    I'll spring for $100 worth. Hopefully 6 rather than 5.
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-12-13 15:50
    Boy, I have so many projects going on right now that need a cross between the demo board and a breadboard or me laying out my own boards and crossing my fingers, I'll buy $100 at whatever qty as soon as they are good to go.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
    AppBee -·2.4GHz Wireless Adapters & transceivers·for the BASIC Stamp & Other controllers·
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-12-13 15:51
    And we'll probably make the students buy these for future controller classes, again, a great in-between for student projects.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
    AppBee -·2.4GHz Wireless Adapters & transceivers·for the BASIC Stamp & Other controllers·
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-12-13 16:07
    6 4 100

and I'm in

Graham
    edited 2006-12-13 16:36
    Our price research shows that customers prefer six (6) boards at $100. What a surprise! Parallax is becoming like WalMart.

We'll see what we can do. I'll meet with the Marketing Manager today. If there's a special deal until they ship, Mike Cook gets one for free since he proposed a good idea to us.

Ken Gracey
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2006-12-13 16:46
    I'll by a 6- or 5-pack, and I'm ready to go as soon as you have a link.

If you get the link up soon, there'll be a few more bucks for Christmas in Rocklin, California!

Post Edited (rokicki) : 12/13/2006 5:20:22 PM GMT
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2006-12-13 16:48
    Great pic of the P8X32A-Q44 ProtoBoard.

I'll pre-order at least 6 @ $100. jumpin.gif

By the way, might there be any better deal for larger quantities, say 10 - 12?___ Or more?___ idea.gif

yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
    edited 2006-12-13 16:48
    rokicki,

Not really. Unfortunately we can't charge your credit card until your boards ship. . . but that's okay because it's Christmas year 'round when you work in the toy shop.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-12-13 17:42
    Is there a schematic available?

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Don't have VGA?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-12-13 19:38
    Here is the in-house schematic, we will be releasing the nicer looking one with the product. You should be able to tell which components are populated when you buy it by comparing it with the picture Ken posted. A grey box around a resistor means it is part of the accessory pack. This was to·prevent a feedback path through the resistor networks when the Norcomp part is not used.·All·traces are on the schematic are on the board, the mouse and keyboard in the schematic are connected via connection bubbles for clarity, these traces are connected on the board. All components in the accessory pack are through-hole for easy soldering.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-12-13 20:15
    Thanks, Paul.· You answered my question.· I see the VGA and PS/2 connectors
    are connected - or are connectible -·to the Propeller.· Excellent!· I shall wait
    for the availability announcement.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Don't have VGA?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 2006-12-14 00:58
    Any plans for offering an enclosure for this board? Kind of like the stamp PLC.

Brian
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2006-12-14 01:12
    Thanks Paul for the schematic.

In-house or out-house, it gives us a much better idea of what we're betting on hoping to make use of. Helps in planning ahead.yeah.gif

What exactly are the "extra through-hole parts in a kit from us for around $10"?__ Just the mouse/keyboard/VGA connector assembly, maybe a few resistors to complete the connections. Anything else?__ (So curious.....) smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • GavinGavin Posts: 134
    edited 2006-12-14 01:13
    Paul,

That looks like it was done with Eagle, do you have the library file for the VGA/PS2 connector?

Gavin
    edited 2006-12-14 01:39
    Brian, no the required tooling cost for enclosures would mean they would cost several times the amount of the board.

Harley, thats pretty much it, the connector, the resistors, headers for servos and shorting block, and the 2x10 pin sockets.

Gavin, the schematic was done in Eagle, but the layout was done in PADS. I used seperate components and didnt create an integrated part since we were not doing layout in Eagle.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-12-14 01:40
    Brian,

We had an enclosure in progress at one time, but the project sufferred from lack of internal support and confusion over features. It seemed like no enclosure would be acceptable to our customers, so we stopped the project. We can revisit it again, especially considering most of our PCBs are 3x4" in size (a single enclosure would fit the PropProto, SX Prto, BOE, Javelin Stamp boards).

What kinds of features do you want in an enclosure, and at what price? Sealed, non-sealed, types of holes for power supply, grommets vs. cable glands, removeable top, LCD cutout, etc? Aluminum or plastic, anodized or not? Folded sheetmetal approach? I'd love to offer one if I knew what would sell, so tell us!

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2006-12-14 01:56
    Very nice board! I saw your comments about the resistors that are not going to be mounted, but are instead part of the accessory pack. What type(package) will these resistors be? Surface mount can be tricky to solder for some, I know it took me alot of practice to get it right. Especially small resistors and capacitors, I tombstoned quite a few. Also might be a good idea to include a few extra, invariably one will be dropped on the floor, never to be found again.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 2006-12-14 02:04
    Well, It depends on what you guys have coming down the pipe. I would like to see a second board that plugs into the header on that one, so that you could populate it the way you see fit. I don't see the enclosure being "one size fits all” but I think that a person could design separate modules so that you could add or reconfigure depending on your needs.

Brian

ps. I don't know what your market focus is , but It wasn't to long· ago that I paid· $800 for a "smart Relay" & a display . I'm still·smiling over finding the stamp PLC & I think that was just a hair over 20 bucks (Ha,Ha)

Post Edited (truckwiz) : 12/14/2006 6:32:20 AM GMT
  • Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
    edited 2006-12-14 02:38
    Put me down for·12 boards @ the 6/$100 price.· lol.gif
    edited 2006-12-14 02:40
    Brian Meade-

Those are likely 1/4 watt through-hole resistors, very basic. No SMT for you guys - we're installing the SMT parts for you.

Ken Gracey
  • IanMIanM Posts: 40
    edited 2006-12-14 05:57
    Quick question. is the crystal in a socket or at least easily replaceable?

Thanks, Ian

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ian Mitchell
    www.research.utas.edu.au
    edited 2006-12-14 07:01
    It is socketed, we have also made two connection holes for Xi and Xo for those wanting to provide an alternate clock (100 synchronized Propellers anyone?)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2006-12-14 07:12
    Nice board! I assume that is the reset button beside the propeller chip, isn't there some concern that ESD might cause some havoc here, from someone having to put their finger so close to the pins of the propeller? As far as an enclosure box, here is my recommendation. I would like to see just a box, translucent acrylic ( coloured would be nice )cool to see the leds working. 2 piece, as in a flat bottom with pegs to screw the board to, and the top cover with a gasket for some sealing. There would be no component holes provided. The idea would be for the customer to customize the box themselves. This could be done by providing hole or cutout " templates " that are actual size. It could be supplied as graphic decals, or graphic files to print your own. Users could contribute templates.

kelvin
  • Matthew HayMatthew Hay Posts: 63
    edited 2007-01-02 22:51
    So any update on the pre-order for these?

Thanks,
    Matt
    edited 2007-01-03 00:31
    Matt,

Lauren promises to have the pre-order link ready to go by Friday.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-01-03 15:55
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    It is socketed, we have also made two connection holes for Xi and Xo for those wanting to provide an alternate clock (100 synchronized Propellers anyone?)

Hmmm, niiice [noparse]:)[/noparse]

So, if I use some wire-wrap headers I can stack these babies, right? (I bet you've already got a superPropStack in the toy shop eh!)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
  • Matthew HayMatthew Hay Posts: 63
    edited 2007-01-05 23:02
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...
    Matt,

Lauren promises to have the pre-order link ready to go by Friday.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    This been delayed?