Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
In search of Hostess Blueberry Fruit Pies - Page 7 — Parallax Forums

In search of Hostess Blueberry Fruit Pies

Comments

• davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,045
    edited 2012-09-14 08:37
    erco wrote: »
    davejames: How far would your friend get with a trailer full of blueberry pies? Or might he simply stay home and eat them all himself? :)

That many Blueberry Pies? I think he'd probably roll around in them!!! :lol:
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2012-11-15 10:32
    OMG! Hostess could close their doors TODAY, stock up now!

http://news.yahoo.com/twinkies-maker-may-close-today-115733014--abc-news-topstories.html
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-11-15 10:40
    The union, which represents more than 80,000 industry workers, maintains that the company's policies will bring its members back to workplace standards of the 1950s.

The workplace standards of the Great Depression are more acceptable to the Union??

On the bright side, rights and recipes for the pies may be available for right buyer!!!
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2012-11-15 12:19
    erco wrote: »

Looks like several people already have and posted them up on ebay for sale......
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2012-11-15 12:29
    Sometimes I am amazed at what forum topics garner so much interest that they seem to go on forever, and others that fade with little or no interest.
    edited 2012-11-15 12:41
    ...but we're talking pies here.....Blueberry PIES!!!!
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2012-11-15 14:11
    Common guys! The last two months I've pretty much recovered from my soda pop addiction. (I'm down to around 1 12oz can a week)

Last week I took the next step and asked my wife to quit buying me the Hostess snacks, cakes, etc.

I'm still having width drawl symptoms and now I gotta see this thread re-appear! This isn't helping..

/me munching another Fit&Active bar...
    edited 2012-11-15 16:17
    Jeff,

Did you see the "hostess going bankrupt" story above?

Kinda frightening that you ask your wife to stop buying Hostess last week and this week they're teetering on the edge of bankruptcy!!! :0)

They mean it when they say "every sale counts!"
    edited 2012-11-15 16:23
    ...sigh. Just when I thought the availability of the these tasty treats would stabilize. Now I find out that Hostess had already filled for bankruptcy earlier this year - the second time since 2004. AND, dumb as people are, some want to choose unemployment versus reduced bennies/wages.

My Hostess-pie-freak buddy is NOT gonna be happy about this.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2012-11-15 19:26
    mindrobots wrote: »

Well, I do like pies, and blueberry pies are my favorite! Particularly the ones for sale at the roadside stands along Highway 7 between Peterborough and Ottawa Ontario. Just picked wild blueberries and pies baked fresh that morning. Mmmmmmmm. Never pass up the chance to buy one when I go that way.

Still, 187 posts is a bit surprising on that subject.

OOOPS make that 190.
    edited 2012-11-15 19:30

AMEN Rick!!
    edited 2012-11-15 20:54
    Couldn't find a "PG" clip from youtube for Zombieland..

Tons of Twinkie jokes.. Gonna have to re-watch this weekend...

Jeff
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2012-11-16 06:04
    Hostess has gone under:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324556304578122632560842670.html

I don't think that I've ever seen any of their delicacies on sale here in the UK.
    edited 2012-11-16 06:23
    Leon wrote: »
    I don't think that I've ever seen any of their delicacies on sale here in the UK.

The good news, Leon, is that we could ship you a crate of them via the slowest, most circuitous route available and they would arrive as fresh as when they left the factory. The bad news, is that we could ship you a crate of them via the slowest, most circuitous route available and they would arrive as fresh as when they left the factory.

This especially applies to the beloved Twinkie which is rumored to have an indefinite shelf life and people have tried to calculate the half life of a twinkie but nobody has lived long enough to detect any decay. The Internets are filled with rumors and jokes about the longevity of Hostess products.

So some percentage of the 18,000 Hostess employees were union workers and followed their leadership by standing strong to force their employer out of business so they can join the unemployed in the booing US economy and job market. The union leadership risked nothing and won the battle!!! Collateral damages are never important!!

RIP Hostess!
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2012-11-16 06:41
    They are available in the UK:

http://www.cybercandy.co.uk/

Perhaps I ought to try them, while they are still available.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2012-11-16 06:45

So some percentage of the 18,000 Hostess employees were union workers and followed their leadership by standing strong to force their employer out of business so they can join the unemployed in the booing US economy and job market. ...

Apparently one of the big factors is that the company wants to make big cuts to pensions. For many workers, that amounts to a breach of contract. You work at a place for 25 years being told one thing, then as you approach retirement, the company says, "Oh, about all those promises we made when you were young - just kidding." A sense of betrayal is driving things on the strikers' side. This technique has been used on employees for years now - allow us to cut your promised pensions or you'll get nothing. Take it or leave it. For the consumer, however, there's nothing to worry about. I'm sure the fine company name will soon be bought up by some other industrial interest (might just be a total coincidence that the same people just so happen to be running and owning it again), new factories will be built in Mexico (they probably already are, ribbon cutting ceremonies sure to be soon), and the consumer will never know anything happened. The workers, on the other hand, will be efficiently shaken from the money tree and life will go on. And the unions will be blamed.

Bon appetit.
  • JimInCAJimInCA Posts: 80
    edited 2012-11-16 07:24
    I just heard on the radio that Hostess has filed for bankruptcy. This on the tail of their baker's strike.
    So Dave, what are you going to do? It seems to me that it may be time to start hording... ;-)
    Jim...
    edited 2012-11-16 07:35
    JimInCA wrote: »
    I just heard on the radio that Hostess has filed for bankruptcy. This on the tail of their baker's strike.
    So Dave, what are you going to do? It seems to me that it may be time to start hording... ;-)
    Jim...

Jim - I'm not driven to eat Hostess products as much as my buddy (and really, the guy does exist - it's not just an alter-ego!).

It's a sad day...not as sad as some recent past days to be sure. But it's still sad to see an iconic product go down in flames due to conditions that could have been avoided.
    edited 2012-11-16 09:10
    Hostess bankruptcy? I think not! I smell a government bailout in the offing!

Jill Kelly is available to broker the deal for $80 million!
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-11-16 11:20
    Took my Mom shopping this morning, and they had a full shelf of Hostess products. When back three hours later, and there were only two boxes of Twinkies left. Those two boxes are mine...all mine....
    edited 2012-11-16 14:21
    Picked up eight two-packs when I was pumping gas..

Heading for Ebay next week.. should be a riot.. :)

Jeff
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2012-11-16 14:31
    Wow. That's a lot of folks out of work.
    http://hostessbrands.com/Closing.aspx
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2012-11-16 14:44
    I bet there's nothing quite like sinking your teeth into some bakery goods manufactured by a bunch of union dudes who've just been told today is their last day.

twinkie2.jpg
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2012-11-16 21:22
    well there goes them ther Pies
    edited 2012-11-18 16:41
    edited 2012-11-18 17:15
    There goes my small fortune in "Twinkie Futures" -- /munch..
    edited 2012-11-18 18:39
    ...so at my church's men's retreat this weekend, I relayed the Hostess situation to my pie buddy - he was quite upset about the news. He expressed gratitude about the windfall of strawberry pies earlier this year, but he was extremely sad as well.

Another member of the music team wandered up and joined the conversation with "here Bryan - I found these at a Quickie Mart by where I live", and hands my friend a Hostess Strawberry pie. My buddy just about fell off the drum throne (he's the drummer), mouth a gape.

The moment couldn't have been better timed.

:thumb: