Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
In search of Hostess Blueberry Fruit Pies — Parallax Forums

In search of Hostess Blueberry Fruit Pies

davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,046
edited 2014-02-28 01:40 in General Discussion
Hi All,

I know I know...this is about as "chatter" as one can get.

I've a friend who is a Hostess Pie junky, and he's been on the search for the Strawberry and Blueberry types for a number of years. Hostess lists them as discontinued, but via the InterWeb, sightings of these wonderous creations have been posted. In fact, they showed up near Springfield, MO. last year and a friend of a friend of a friend was able to send some out - much to my buddy's delight.

Hostess pies are evidently seasonal and location oriented (peach is available in north California, but not in the bay area...berry is available in the bay area, but not over in the San Joaquin valley - that kinda thing).

So, I have a request of the USA-based Forum members.

Could you/Would you be so kind as to keep an eye out for these little beasties? They seem to live mainly in convenience stores (7-Eleven, Circle K, gas station stores, etc.)

PM me if they are discovered and we can work out payment/shipment details.

You'll make my junky friend extremely happy.

Thanks much!

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-07-20 10:52
    Um, I have a friend who has this problem, and um...

Sure, will advise if I see any here in LA. You got peach up north, huh? Never seen those! Haven't had one in years, but I was a cherry & apple man back when I was banging!
  • David BDavid B Posts: 591
    edited 2011-07-20 11:16
    Try this forum - they were able to point me to how to get a rare cookie I'd been searching for a few years ago -

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Hostess-Fruit-Pies-m507377.aspx
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-07-20 21:01
    Dave,

'Checked the local convenience store: just apple, cherry, and blackberry here. Of course, if you were a True Friend, you'd make your buddy some form scratch. Here's a recipe for a blackberry Hostess knock-off, but it wouldn't be hard to substitute the flavors of your friend's twin obsessions:

Either that, or convert him to Pop Tarts (same flavor, same preservatives).

-Phil
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2011-07-21 08:41
    @davejames - see http://freshchocodiles.com/hostess/fruit_pies.html

Wonder if they could help?
    edited 2011-07-21 09:23
    Halle Berry is my new flavorite!
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,046
    edited 2011-07-21 19:00
    @erco - LOL!
    @Mr. Pilgrim - uh, my firend is extremely particular and very bent on eating the actual Hostess product. Thank you for the link, I might try them for myself!
    @DavidB - thank you for the link. It does show some activity, so I'll post a "search for" request.
    @Whit - thank you for the link..I'll check them out.

...the search continues!
    edited 2011-07-21 19:05
    davejames wrote:
    my firend is extremely particular and very bent on eating the actual Hostess product.
    Just load the homemade ones with preservatives. He won't know the difference!

-Phil
    edited 2011-07-21 19:11
    ....oohh,oh,oh,oh........you.do.not.know.the.man!

A connoisseur he is - verily!
    edited 2011-07-21 19:26
    Well, I do understand. When I was an undergrad in Springfield, Ohio, I developed a passion for Decker's bologna. No other brand of fatty, processed meat byproducts would do. After graduation, while doing grad work at U. Mich., I could no longer find this gustatorial delicacy anywhere. A friend of mine, sensing my desperate situation, mailed me a Decker's bologna sandwich, complete with Wonder Bread and French's mustard. Needless to say, it was squashed flat, and the meat was completely spoiled; but the thought and the effort behind that gesture meant a lot.

Good luck with your quest!

-Phil
  • markaericmarkaeric Posts: 282
    edited 2011-07-21 19:51
    I'm surprised to hear that the Hostess blueberry pies are no more. They used to be at every gas station in the metro Detroit area, but I guess I haven't paid much attention lately. Since I'm curious now, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them.. Maybe even drop by the Wonder Bread outlet store.
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2011-07-22 05:28
    Well, I do understand. When I was an undergrad in Springfield, Ohio, I developed a passion for Decker's bologna. No other brand of fatty, processed meat byproducts would do. After graduation, while doing grad work at U. Mich., I could no longer find this gustatorial delicacy anywhere. A friend of mine, sensing my desperate situation, mailed me a Decker's bologna sandwich, complete with Wonder Bread and French's mustard. Needless to say, it was squashed flat, and the meat was completely spoiled; but the thought and the effort behind that gesture meant a lot.

Good luck with your quest!

-Phil

Not that he was fan of them, but in college some friends and I mailed a breaded veal patty from one of the campus dining halls to another friend that was on co-op. That patty was around for years afterward, moving from one freezer to the next. Eventually, somebody's mom found it and threw it away.

I still have a square slice of pizza around somewhere that's leftover from grad school (maybe c. 1990). It's covered in fiber glass and has survived pretty much intact (composite sandwich construction with fiberglass faces on a pizza core).

I managed to eat quite a few late-night Hostess pies (mostly apple) from the vending machine in the engineering building while in school. They were selected primarily by optimizing on mass/cost - finding the most filling food for the buck.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-07-22 05:42
    The fruit in 'em isn't necessarily the fruit the labelling purports.
    (Pop-Tarts, too.)
    Yes, there's fruit in there, but, regardless, it's apples and pears, with blueberry or cherry or whatever flavour.
    Every once in a while I buy one and scrape all the iridescent mucous/gunk out - the crusts are the best part.
  • PoloPolo Posts: 4
    edited 2011-07-22 07:09
    Hmm, this is interesting. I've never really noticed those around, but I'll look out for them at gas stations and such.

~Polo
    edited 2011-07-22 08:29
    No other brand of fatty, processed meat byproducts would do.
    I could no longer find this gustatorial delicacy anywhere.

That was a mouthful!

:lol:
    edited 2011-07-22 08:32
    PJ Allen wrote: »
    The fruit in 'em isn't necessarily the fruit the labelling purports.
    (Pop-Tarts, too.)
    Yes, there's fruit in there, but, regardless, it's apples and pears, with blueberry or cherry or whatever flavour.
    Every once in a while I buy one and scrape all the iridescent mucous/gunk out - the crusts are the best part.

Mr. Allen - I agree. I like the crust more than the filling. Although I've never had the "strawberry" or "blueberry" for comparison.

However, your description of the filling makes me wonder if you had a pie that was just a "leetle" out-of-date. That iridescent part is a concern!
    edited 2011-07-22 08:35
    @markaeric & @Polo - thanks for the effort!
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2011-07-22 14:05
    I've been on a similar search. There is a candy bar discontinued 2 years ago after just 6 months of production called a "Wazoo Bar". Its really good, but you can't find them anywhere and when you do they are quite expensive. It was discontinued because the name is slang for, well, I'll let you Google that. :)

P.S. I'll check the local walmart for your pies.
    edited 2011-07-22 14:30
    ... "Wazoo Bar" ... It was discontinued because the name is slang for ...
    ... Washington State University. Everybody around here knows that. Maybe there's a store in Pullman that carries them. :)

-Phil
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2011-07-22 14:52
    Every time I see this thread I keep hearing Woody Harrelson in my head looking for "Spongy, Delicious, Twinkies". (Zombieland)

OBC
    edited 2011-07-22 19:25
    Every time I see this thread I keep hearing Woody Harrelson in my head looking for "Spongy, Delicious, Twinkies". (Zombieland)
    OBC

...well, hey! At least it's memorable!!!
  • markaericmarkaeric Posts: 282
    edited 2011-07-23 16:49
    So I spotted the strawberry pies at the gas station right around the corner from where I live. They had some other flavors, but blueberry was not one of them. I asked the clerk whether they still exist, and while she didn't know for sure, she kept on saying that she would order them for me, despite me insisting that I don't really want them and was just asking out of curiosity. I do have a feeling that the Hostess/Wonder Bread outlet store carries them.
    edited 2011-07-23 17:11
    markaeric wrote: »
    So I spotted the strawberry pies at the gas station right around the corner from where I live. They had some other flavors, but blueberry was not one of them. I asked the clerk whether they still exist, and while she didn't know for sure, she kept on saying that she would order them for me, despite me insisting that I don't really want them and was just asking out of curiosity. I do have a feeling that the Hostess/Wonder Bread outlet store carries them.

...sending you a PM.
    edited 2011-08-10 13:19
    ...well, my potential source has disappeared off the face of the planet so I'm asking (again) for you all to keep your eyes opened for these most elusive delights.

Thanks much!
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-08-10 13:52
    Have you tried contacting the company directly??

http://www.hostesscakes.com/contact.aspx
    edited 2011-08-10 14:51
    Have you tried contacting the company directly??

http://www.hostesscakes.com/contact.aspx

Yes, of course. And the "official reply" is that these two pies are discontinued.

However, they still show up from time to time, highlighting the regional and seasonal nature of the little beasties.
    edited 2011-08-10 16:17
    Much like the highly-vaunted McRib sightings!
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2011-08-10 16:28
    All the Hostess outlet stores near me have closed. We also had a couple of Oroweat outlet stores close down too. Took all the goodies with them, and now they expect us to pay full price at the grocery store. Like that's going to happen.

-- Gordon
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2011-08-10 19:10
    davejames wrote: »
    ... And the "official reply" is that these two pies are discontinued.....

As I've told you before: make your product addictive:

tumblr_lkmv3i76FI1qagkhko1_500.jpg

Then create the illusion of scarcity:

beanie+babies.bmp
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2011-08-11 08:52
    Hey these aren't Hostess, but are a New Orlean's Classic...

http://www.hubigs.com/
    edited 2011-08-11 16:27
    As I've told you before: make your product addictive:

Then create the illusion of scarcity:

Electric - so are you saying I should package my product in a cigarette-smoking Beenie Baby?