Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
In search of Hostess Blueberry Fruit Pies - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

In search of Hostess Blueberry Fruit Pies

Comments

• lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2012-07-13 22:49
    I've eaten a lot of Hostess pies. Peter KG6LSE posted a picture that reminded me of something I'd forgotten. "Real Fruit Filling!". I'd buy one today if I could find one but I still find it curious that "real" fruit was a selling point.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-07-13 22:58
    lardom wrote:
    "Real Fruit Filling!". I'd buy one today if I could find one but I still find it curious that "real" fruit was a selling point.
    So long as it's purple ...

-Phil
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,045
    edited 2012-07-13 23:39
    @mark - they arrived!!

Thanks much! This batch will keep my buddy busy for a bit, so I'll say "hold off" on any more.

After so many years of searching for these, finding them of a sudden is pleasurably wierd.

Oh I'd like to nosh into one....but at 420 calories, it's nearly 1/3 of my daily allotment.:depressed:
    edited 2012-07-13 23:44
    lardom wrote: »
    I've eaten a lot of Hostess pies. Peter KG6LSE posted a picture that reminded me of something I'd forgotten. "Real Fruit Filling!". I'd buy one today if I could find one but I still find it curious that "real" fruit was a selling point.

Quite often, grape and apple would be processed to appear as other types of fruit. Surprisingly, the cherry pie Peter noted actually has real cherries. The same goes for the strawberry, apple, mixed berry, and blackberry versions.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2012-07-14 01:46
    After 18 plus years living abroad one finds out there is quite a bit that Americans believe that isn't real.

I suspect "real fruit" has a legal parameter in advertising that falls far short of what is real.

But rather than try to explain what is rather odd about American culture, I'd rather keep my friends and just smile. After all, every culture has beliefs that have no basis in reality - just study Economics and you will see what I mean.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2012-07-14 05:47
    I have the pudding ones too!

Isn't pudding the mysterious new 5th food group, just as Umami is the mysterious new 5th taste? http://www.amazon.com/The-Fifth-Taste-Cooking-Umami/dp/0789313561

http://www.naturalnews.com/029134_umami_MSG.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami
  • lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2012-07-14 06:55
    Forgive me this once for going off subject! I clicked on erco's link and I see that "umami" is "msg" which I try to avoid. I also avoid hydrogenated oil (margarine) which is chemically a 'polymer'. I stick with 'good ol' butter.
    edited 2012-07-18 00:20
    ALERT!!! ALERT!!!
    Hostess Blueberry pie sighting in/around the Winston-Salem area of North Carolina!!!

Are there any Forumistas in that local willing to check the Lowes Foods #214 in Morehead City, and if they truly have these evasive tasties, pack up a bunch and send them out to pie-starved-California?

It would be stupendously appreciated.
  • markaericmarkaeric Posts: 282
    edited 2012-07-18 00:33
    WHAT?! Blueberry pies?! I'm jealous.

On another note, I was at the gas station and decided to pick up a strawberry pie for myself. It was delicious.

No back to your regular scheduled programming (pun somewhat intended?)!
    edited 2012-07-18 00:45
    Hostess Snipeberry pie alert! :)
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2012-07-18 01:29
    Eric I have a empty wrapper where My cherry one was once enclosed ......... i can still small the cherry . When I go shoping tomarrow Iam gonna have to stock up ..........
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2012-07-18 18:36
    PIE UPDATE !
    Attachment not found.
    I can has PIE!
    edited 2012-07-18 21:55
    Tragedy on Interstate 5!

from http://atom.smasher.org/construction
    480 x 640 - 59K
  • JimInCAJimInCA Posts: 80
    edited 2012-07-19 06:26
    PIE UPDATE !
    Attachment not found.
    I can has PIE!

Is that a Pudding Pie in this picture? I don't think I've ever seen one of those... mmmmmm... pudding..... droll... droll...
    edited 2012-07-19 08:40
    JimInCA wrote: »
    Is that a Pudding Pie in this picture? I don't think I've ever seen one of those... mmmmmm... pudding..... droll... droll...

Hi Jim - yup, that's a chocolate pudding pie.

And FYI, they are common in our immediate area along with cherry, apple and lemon...and sometimes peach.
    edited 2012-07-19 08:43
    erco wrote: »
    tragedy on interstate 5!

...Oh! The humanity!!!
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2012-07-19 09:34
    I saw a blueberry bagel at Starbucks here in Kaohsiung. I know it isn't a Hostess product, but Starbucks had stopped selling them for maybe a year or so. I used to have one every day or so. But I was so surprised about 'the return of the blueberry bagel' that I didn't order one.

Still, I prefer regular onion bagels that no one has here, and boysenberry jam. Living abroad is all about dreaming of food that you can never find.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-07-19 10:09
    Sadly, Blueberry is still missing from their current lineup:

http://www.hostesscakes.com/products/fruit-pie
    edited 2012-07-19 10:16
    The frosting on those things makes me cringe. It looks more a shellac coat to make the pie airtight and preserve the fruit filling. I wonder if they come with a NEMA rating.

-Phil
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-07-19 10:22
    I imagine this is very regional and seasonal and driven by the spot market on fruit (fruit futures).

Our Dunkin Donuts stopped having Blueberry Bagels for a while...it was tragic but we did survive. I'll have to look for Blueberry ones in our stores since we seem to be having a good year for blueberry crops in our area. I did notice the Strawberry were available and we also had an early (and strong) showing of California strawberries this year.

I'm sure hostess has their fruit costing and forecasting models finely tuned to maximize the pie profit. If you throw bad fruit prices in, I imagine it generates decision support for the production planners.

THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUT MBAS IN CHARGE OF YOUR PIES!
    edited 2012-07-19 10:24
    I wonder if they come with a NEMA rating.

-Phil

There is an MSDS printed inside the label.

simpsons_08807_large.jpg
    260 x 335 - 26K
    edited 2012-07-19 10:43
    The frosting on those things makes me cringe. It looks more a shellac coat to make the pie airtight and preserve the fruit filling. I wonder if they come with a NEMA rating.

-Phil

Or a MSDS. :)

EDIT: Rick beat me to it!
    edited 2012-07-19 10:47
    Maine supposedly had a bumper crop of blueberries this year. Maybe they will show up in a few months?
    edited 2012-07-19 11:51
    Publison wrote: »
    Maine supposedly had a bumper crop of blueberries this year. Maybe they will show up in a few months?

...they already have, and that's why I was asking if anyone in the Morehead City area of North Carolina could help out.
    edited 2012-07-19 12:04
    Interesting, the Official Hostess Pie website doesn't even list blueberry as an official flavor. But they do list CHOCOLATE as a "fruit", so you gotta love a company like that just for practical purposes!! This would lead me to think they have their standard flavors and then do special flavors as the fruit harvest makes possible.
    edited 2012-07-19 12:10
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Interesting, the Official Hostess Pie website doesn't even list blueberry as an official flavor. But they do list CHOCOLATE as a "fruit", so you gotta love a company like that just for practical purposes!! This would lead me to think they have their standard flavors and then do special flavors as the fruit harvest makes possible.

Isn't chocolate on the new food pyramid? :)
    edited 2012-07-19 12:34

To me, that's like putting water on the food pyramid. It's a basic organic compound necessary for life as we know it. Research is showing that the primordial ooze was 68% cocoa fine dark chocolate.
    edited 2012-07-19 12:35

...it's in *my* food group!
    edited 2012-07-19 13:07
    mindrobots wrote:
    ... But they do list CHOCOLATE as a "fruit" ...
    It might well be a fruit. What color are very rotten apples? Add a little cocoa flavoring, and voila!, chocolate fruit!

-Phil
    edited 2012-07-19 13:33
    Talked to a local Deli owner today, (they were on the list at Hostess.com),
    and he said he thought they had Blueberry in last week. They were out of all fruit pies, but the delivery guy comes in on Tuesday. I told him to put a half dozen aside. Now I'm going to have to buy some Pastrami. :)