Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
In search of Hostess Blueberry Fruit Pies - Page 6 — Parallax Forums

In search of Hostess Blueberry Fruit Pies

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-07-31 12:38
    Strangest thing....Saturday, the orchard down the road put out their sign that they had peaches. Last night, I spotted a PEACH Hostess Pie in the gas station a bit further down the road! Coincidence?? I think NOT!

P.S. Yes, it was purchased and consumed for the taste test study.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2012-07-31 13:18
    Guys, give it up already. Skip the junk food and get yourselves a Rasperry Pi.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-07-31 13:23
    Kinda' like Hanno eatin' a proto board.

(Gotta find the link)
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2012-07-31 13:32
    No, no, Raspberry Pi is not for eating. It's food for the mind.
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2012-07-31 13:51
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Strangest thing....Saturday, the orchard down the road put out their sign that they had peaches. Last night, I spotted a PEACH Hostess Pie in the gas station a bit further down the road! Coincidence?? I think NOT!

P.S. Yes, it was purchased and consumed for the taste test study.

I just did that same taste test, it was pretty good. I went in to look for more strawberry, didn't see any, but they had one peach begging to be eaten.

C.W.
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,045
    edited 2012-07-31 14:24
    @ C.W. and mindrobots:

You guys make me proud!!! March on and keep eatin!

@ Heater:

...phhhfffttt! Raspberry Pi (unlies it's pie) is for weenies. Now a Hostess Peach Pie? That'll put hair in your nose - and - stimulate the synapses!

:smile:
  • DrockDrock Posts: 1
    edited 2012-07-31 16:19
    Found this thread searching on Google for Hostess blueberry pies. Stopped into my local hostess shop today and they had Cherry, Strawberry, Peach, Apple, Lemon, and Pudding. When I asked about blueberry the lady said they were too expensive to make so they were discontinued a few years ago. I had never seen strawberry, peach or pudding before so that was new to me. I bought a peach and strawberry. My son and I split them and we liked the strawberry better but I think Cherry or Apple is better the ones we got today. Blueberry is still king in my heart though. This was in Minnesota btw.
    edited 2012-07-31 16:47
    Drock wrote: »
    Found this thread searching on Google for Hostess blueberry pies.

This thread has gone Google?!!?!?!?!?! COOL!

Welcome Drock.

While it was the search of the elusive HBP (a search done on his own, I'll have you know Heater) that led you to this site, you won't find pies here. What you will find is one of the most congenial group of techies on the web. If you have any interest in things electronic, and micro-controllers in particular, hang around and enjoy the company!

Regards,

DJ
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2012-07-31 17:57
    I finally made it back to the supermarket, but all they had left was cherry.
    edited 2012-07-31 18:22
    Welcome, Drock!

You can stick around if you just enjoy pie,too!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2012-07-31 18:33
    Come for the pie, stay for the snappy banter!
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2012-07-31 19:35
    Blueberry Fruit Pies.... hmmm... anyway you could kluge one by injecting blue-berry flavored high-fructose corn syrup into a frosted Pop Tart?

Or a barf bag?
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-07-31 19:42
    Drock wrote:
    When I asked about blueberry the lady said they were too expensive to make so they were discontinued a few years ago.
    ATTN davejames: CHECK THOSE DATE CODES! (Oh, right: Hostess UltraChemTM preservatives -- good for 20 years or more. Nevermind. Carry on.)

-Phil
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2012-08-13 05:11
    Ah - my first find! Strawberry Fruit Pies - three of them - at a local Walgreen's yesterday.

IMAG0131.jpg

I bought one. Haven't eaten it yet.
    1024 x 612 - 63K
    edited 2012-08-13 06:11
    If you like strawberry, you'll want to go back and buy the other two.....trust me.
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2012-08-13 06:56
    ATTN davejames: CHECK THOSE DATE CODES! (Oh, right: Hostess UltraChemTM preservatives -- good for 20 years or more. Nevermind. Carry on.)

-Phil

Lol, actually they seem to have really short shelf lives. I saw three that I was going to buy with the intent of sending them to Dave, but I noticed they only had a couple days shelf life left, so I didn't get them.

C.W.
    edited 2012-08-13 07:05
    If you like strawberry, you'll want to go back and buy the other two.....trust me.

Well, I just ate half of it, and I have to admit that I'm not a fan. I'll finish it off after lunch, but it doesn't make me want to run out for more. If I see one of the odd varieties (something other than apple or cherry or chocolate) I'll buy it and try it, but just for old time's sake.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2012-08-13 10:37
    Apparently the global harvesting of blueberries is big business. Norway has recently had to take a look at its dependency on Chinese migrant berry pickers that they have been using to pick their crop. Apparently Norway has a huge blueberry harvest because wild blueberries can be picked for commercial resale on private land without the permission of the landowner.

http://www.blueberry.org/norway/connections.htm

I
    suppose if you wanted to, you could apply for a work visa and go to Norway and pick blueberries for a working holiday.
    edited 2012-08-13 10:45
    sylvie369 wrote: »
    Ah - my first find! Strawberry Fruit Pies - three of them - at a local Walgreen's yesterday.

IMAG0131.jpg

I bought one. Haven't eaten it yet.

...I'm jealous!!! My current weight-loss efforts don't allow me the luxury.
    edited 2012-08-13 10:47
    ctwardell wrote: »
    Lol, actually they seem to have really short shelf lives. I saw three that I was going to buy with the intent of sending them to Dave, but I noticed they only had a couple days shelf life left, so I didn't get them.

C.W.

CW - thanks for the thought. My Hostess-pie-junky friend has been inundated with pies recently, and needs time for his glucose levels to subside.
    edited 2012-08-13 10:49
    sylvie369 wrote: »
    Well, I just ate half of it, and I have to admit that I'm not a fan. I'll finish it off after lunch, but it doesn't make me want to run out for more. If I see one of the odd varieties (something other than apple or cherry or chocolate) I'll buy it and try it, but just for old time's sake.

...guess I should have read this one first!

Not want for more?!?!? How can that be???

Keep on the lookout for peach - it might fit your tast buds better.
    edited 2012-08-13 10:51
    Apparently the global harvesting of blueberries is big business. Norway has recently had to take a look at its dependency on Chinese migrant berry pickers that they have been using to pick their crop. Apparently Norway has a huge blueberry harvest because wild blueberries can be picked for commercial resale on private land without the permission of the landowner.

http://www.blueberry.org/norway/connections.htm

I
    suppose if you wanted to, you could apply for a work visa and go to Norway and pick blueberries for a working holiday.

Thanks Loopy...picking for a working holiday? No. Eating for a working holiday? YES!!!
    edited 2012-08-13 11:16
    I was disappointed in the peach pies but then, I consider a properly made peach pie to be the paragon of fruit pies so I may be a bit harsh in my judgement. (Not enough fruit and missing the pinch of cinnamon that elevate it beyond mere peach pie!)

...luckily, it's peach season in Ohio so I was able to cleanse my palate!
    edited 2012-08-13 14:45
    I expect I'd like the strawberry better than the peach. I did finish the other half. Sorta okay. Sorry - this isn't quite my cup of tea. The hunt is the exciting part. I did really enjoy that.
    edited 2012-08-14 08:36
    This morning I saw the Lemon pie for my first time. Didn't buy one, though. I know in advance I won't like that, and I certainly don't need to be eating these two days in a row.
    Still, the hunt is fun.
    edited 2012-08-14 13:20

-Phil

...yessir! At your order, Sir!
    edited 2012-08-14 13:22
    I consider a properly made peach pie to be the paragon of fruit pies...

...absolutely agree!

:thumb:
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2012-09-13 16:06
    davejames: How far would your friend get with a trailer full of blueberry pies? Or might he simply stay home and eat them all himself? :)

http://news.yahoo.com/man-drives-across-usa-only-uses-bacon-currency-143811130.html