Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New 4.3" touchscreen LCD for Propeller: "used" screens almost free w/purchase. - Page 19 — Parallax Forums

New 4.3" touchscreen LCD for Propeller: "used" screens almost free w/purchase.

Comments

• FlyingFishFingerFlyingFishFinger Posts: 461
    edited 2010-01-06 01:18
    I like your schematics [noparse];)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    UC Berkeley '12 EECS
    CalSol: Berkeley Solar Car team
    www.calsol.berkeley.edu
    KJ6AWU
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2010-01-06 01:48
    Thank you,

I reread Ray's 12:36 pm post over and over, looked at that PSB demo source and the breakout board. Finally I figured out what you wrote. (sorry I called you 'Peter'; had two posts to get out and I goofed.)

Those 'middle eight signals, on pins 9 - 16, R1, R0, G1, G0, B1, B0, HSync and VSync are the color and sync signals you referred to. So, I come back and find Ray and tdeyle show me what they have.

Had I dealt with VGA before, I'm sure it would have made loads more sense. (How does all the 60 conductors from the LCD get transformed down to under 20 signals and pwr/ground, I'm wondering?) I suppose only 2 signals/color, this limits the colors to 64 color at any one time.

Thanks for clearing up my fog. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2010-01-09 00:20
    @ anyone,

Below is what I think is one way to interface the 4.3" LCD breakout board to a Prop. (I used Rayman's rough schematic to understand the purpose and organization of the Prop signals vs. the breakout board (silk screened) names at header zone J1. I trust it was correct.)

Does my list below appear to be correct? I prefer to NOT wire up this i/f with unknown errors! Thank for any help or suggestions to improve it.

Propeller / 4.3 breakout board i/f for 4.3" Samsung color LCD module - 7 Jan.2010

GND     1    GND
        A29     2    SDA    (I2C)    
        A28     3    SCL       "
        GND     4    GND
        3.3V     5    Vdd
        A27     6    IRQ
        A26     7    PCLK
        A25     8    DE
        A23     9    R1    msb
        A22    10    R0       |
        A21    11    G1       |
        A20    12    G0    (byte)
        A19    13    B1       |
        A18    14    B0       |
        A17    15    HSync   |
        A16    16    VSync  lsb
        A24    17    DON  (DON/BL = 1 for ON)
        A24    18    BL
        GND    19    GND (for backlight)
        +5V    20    VBL
    Prop  H1 pin    J1 Breakout board

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,797
    edited 2010-01-09 00:47
    I don't see any problems...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My Prop Info&Apps: ·http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/propeller.htm
    edited 2010-01-09 01:32
    Ray,

Looking at the PSB_LcdDriver source listing it has PCLK on A25 and DE on A26 (opposite to what I first found...somewhere; maybe a reading error?)

Also, WHY is there a "...Need to define one pin as NOT used"? That would be difficult to 'discover' a need for doing such.

I'm about to wire up this i/f and hope to have the documentation, at least, correct to begin with. yeah.gif

It appears if the breakout board is plugged in upside down, the the LCD would display 6 o'clock down and the Prop Protoboard in 'normal' position. That is the breakout would have the header pins or socket on the component side. The module then could be attached with double-sided tape to the back of the b/o board nicely. Do you see any problem doing that?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2010-01-09 01:47
    PSB has PCLK on P25.

The "not used pin" is needed in order to get a pixel clock that is 180 degrees out of phase with the pixels...
    Needed that so as to not violate setup and hold times for the display color inputs...

Should work upside down. Looking forward to hearing about your results...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • wjsteelewjsteele Posts: 697
    edited 2010-01-09 19:41
    By chance, does anybody have or know where I can get the Eagle files for the 60 pin connector for these LCDs? I'm pulling my hair out looking for them and I don't know Eagle well enough to make one.

Bill
  • ry.davidry.david Posts: 63
    edited 2010-01-09 22:51
    Eagle library I created is attached... Please note that is this UNTESTED, and I will find out if it works this Friday
    edited 2010-01-10 04:45
    Fantastic!!!! Thanks ry.david!!!
    edited 2010-01-10 20:16
    Wow... acid etching those little buggers are hard! Anyone do it by themselves before successfully? If, what's the secret?
    edited 2010-01-11 17:25
    Rayman, How are you releasing the driver for this (ie. MIT license, etc)?
    edited 2010-01-11 17:44
    If you buy a product from me, you are free to use the code I post for it as you like as long as the copyright notice remains intact...
    I just wouldn't want somebody selling another display packaged with my code without an arrangement...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2010-01-17 14:48
    Hi all, just to let you know, I finally got my LCD Touch Break out boards yesterday from mctrivia, and soldered it up today, and it works [noparse]:)[/noparse] and the LCD's work fine too.

Cheers guys. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·
    edited 2010-01-18 03:48
    Rayman,
    Sounds fair enough - thanks!

The Eagle library I posted earlier looks like it will work. There are some slight modifications I will need to make (make mounting pads larger), but the critical dimensions check out. I will update it tomorrow, too late to be soldering tonight
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,252
    edited 2010-01-18 21:12
    It would be nice if someone who knows how would make a display holder kind of like this:
    http://www.esky-sh.com/ebay_gallary/3.5/show2.jpg
    edited 2010-01-19 01:44
    I got my proto board soldered up, and I realized I forgot to order some FTDI chips, so I can't do much until they get here. That 60-pin connector is a pain, but a whole bunch of desoldering braid later it looks okay lol.gif
    1940 x 1104 - 211K
    822 x 1437 - 101K
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2010-01-19 02:00
    http://www.mountainkingtech.com/ sells similar LCD mounting kits for other size displays. I just requested a LCD kit/bezel for this LCD.
    edited 2010-01-19 10:49
    Update:

Chuck at Mountain King Technologies replied with pictures of handsome bezels/cases - he just has to price them.

Forrest
    edited 2010-01-27 17:36
    Just sold a box of 100 displays! I think that only leaves ~200 or less left...

(There were about 10,000 of these, but they were almost all destroyed. Isn't that sad?)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2010-01-27 17:58
    OMG that is terrible. They are great little displays, I can hardly wait until I have time to fire mine up!

mctrivia did a great job on the breakout board too, I already have it mounted on a Proteus, that is plugged into a Propteus... I just need time to hook up the wires between my EXP1/EXP2 connectors and the pins on the breakout board.

I've figured out how to do 256 colors on them by removing the 3R3G2B and Hsync/Vsync resistors from one of my Morpheus boards, and using SDA from CPU2 as the dot clock - and since I have a lot of memory to play with, 480x272 by 256 colors per pixel, with multiple pages, are coming to Morpheus [noparse]:)[/noparse] [noparse]:)[/noparse] [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Rayman said...
    Just sold a box of 100 displays! I think that only leaves ~200 or less left...

(There were about 10,000 of these, but they were almost all destroyed. Isn't that sad?)
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.mikronauts.com E-mail: mikronauts _at_ gmail _dot_ com 5.0" VGA LCD in stock!
    Morpheus dual Prop SBC w/ 512KB kit $119.95, Mem+2MB memory/IO kit $89.95, both kits $189.95 SerPlug $9.95
    Propteus and Proteus for Propeller prototyping 6.250MHz custom Crystals run Propellers at 100MHz
    Las - Large model assembler Largos - upcoming nano operating system

Post Edited (Bill Henning) : 1/27/2010 6:06:53 PM GMT
  • mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
    edited 2010-01-27 18:01
    That isterible. You should make sure you can get as many as possible of the 3.5" variety.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    24 bit LCD Breakout Board now in. $24.99 has backlight driver and touch sensitive decoder.

If you have not already. Add yourself to the prophead map
    edited 2010-01-27 20:02
    Forrest said...
    Chuck at Mountain King Technologies replied with pictures of handsome bezels/cases - he just has to price them.

Forrest, we won't believe you until you post them. wink.gif

Bill
    edited 2010-01-28 01:33
    wjsteele said...
    Forrest said...

Forrest, we won't believe you until you post them. wink.gif

Bill

OK - see two attached pictures

Forrest
    3296 x 2472 - 1M
    3296 x 2472 - 1M
  • mikestefoymikestefoy Posts: 84
    edited 2010-01-28 07:31
    seems too large for my tastes.

I want the bezel to be say 1/2" max around the display.

Mike
    edited 2010-01-28 10:28
    Judging by the size of the lower portion, I'd say he is planning on cutting it down. The bottom pictures show the demo board size bottom... but the tops appear to be from the Radio Shack cases, with a window cut in them.

Also, Chuck said he can do custom work if you want it. I am going to have him do some for me.

Bill
  • AquaaddictAquaaddict Posts: 20
    edited 2010-01-29 16:49
    James Long said...
    Rayman said...
    Harley: Have fun! There is a chip in there somewhere, maybe I'll dissect the one bad display I have one day...

Ants: I think Luis may have pointed out the problem. If you are using a cable where certain wires are hard grounded (may some color pins?), that could explain why the display goes haywire only with certian colors...

Hey...that is a thought. The wire would ohm out from point to point, but could still be connected to ground as well.

James L

Unfortunatley thats not the problem / fix, i didn't use a header connector, but rather soldered·wires in made from an old 40 pin IDE cable; so the mystery remiains unsolved.

Just got back from my travels, as soon as jet lag induced brain fog clears I'll get back to looking at it.

Thanks for the suggestion though...

Anthony
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2010-02-03 02:49
    I hooked up a 4.3" LCD with mctrivia's breakout board. The display works great but I can't figure out how to get the touchscreen to work. Question: is PI on the breakout board the Touch IRQ pin?
    edited 2010-02-03 02:51
    yes PI is the touch interupt request. by default my breakout I2C is set to 11 instead of 00 like in rays exable code. IIRC you need to change the 8 to a B in the address to compensate.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    24 bit LCD Breakout Board now in. $24.99 has backlight driver and touch sensitive decoder.

• mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2010-02-03 03:08
    You mean here in PSB_i2cDriver?
    TouchAdd = $4b 'Address of touchscreen controller

It didn't make any difference. I assume when PSB Paint starts up I should be able to just drag my fingernail across the big black rectangle and it'll draw colored lines? Nothing's happening.

Any other hints?
    edited 2010-02-03 03:22
    Checklist:
    1) SCL and SDA soldered
    2) Pull ups on SCL and SDA on your board
    3) jumpers on breakout are soldered(2 little ressister by touch decoder labeled 010. both should be in the 1 positon.
    4) see 4 traces from touch decoder ic 2 ribon. make sure they have not been broken and are soldered to header.
    5) make sure there are no solder bridges on 4 traces/

3 to 5 should not be a problem since they worked when I tested but worth checking as these are where most fail when I test.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔