Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New 4.3" touchscreen LCD for Propeller: "used" screens almost free w/purchase. - Page 18 — Parallax Forums

New 4.3" touchscreen LCD for Propeller: "used" screens almost free w/purchase.

Comments

• James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2010-01-02 22:37
    Aquaaddict said...
    James Long said...

Ants,

I hate to ask, but I'm counting pins, and I do not see the SDA, and SCL for the breakout board. You may be using a different name than what I expect, but I still do not come up with enough.

Could you give me a list of each break out pin, and where it is connected?

James L

No problem James, my connections are as follows:

p0 Vsync
    p1 Hsync
    p2 B0-2-4-6
    p3 B1-3-5-7
    p4 G0-2-4-6
    p5 G1-3-5-7
    p6 R0-2-4-6
    p7 R1-3-5-7
    p8 DEN
    p9 DE
    p10 PCLK
    p11 BL

p27 IRQ (PI)
    p28 SCL
    p29 SDA

Neg VSS
    3.3v VDD

And are set in my code as:

BackLightPin=11
    DisplayOnPin=8
    PixelClockPin=10
    DataEnablePin=9
    TouchIrqPin=27 'This pin is really optional, but touchscreen sets this whenever screen is touched
    NotUsedPin=26 'Need to define one pin that is not to be used for LCD (can still be used for anything else)
    VgaPins=%000_111

Thanks,

Ants

Ants,

I think the first set of pins are the problem. Something isn't right there.

Ray will have to comment further about if that will work or not. I don't remember the order of those pins.

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer
    Lil Brother SMT Assembly Services

Are you addicted to technology or Micro-controllers..... then checkout the forums at Savage Circuits. Learn to build your own Gizmos!
  • AquaaddictAquaaddict Posts: 20
    edited 2010-01-02 22:44
    changed them to GRB and it just corrupts the same but this time with pychadelic colours, with the way I had it originally the colours looked normal compared to others screenshots.
    edited 2010-01-02 22:53
    Aquaaddict said...
    changed them to GRB and it just corrupts the same but this time with pychadelic colours, with the way I had it originally the colours looked normal compared to others screenshots.

I'm wondering about the sync pins and where they fall.

They way you have the VGA pins called out, they would start at pin 0 if I'm correct. But I am working from memory here, and it's not so good anymore.

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer

Are you addicted to technology or Micro-controllers..... then checkout the forums at Savage Circuits. Learn to build your own Gizmos!
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,805
    edited 2010-01-02 23:14
    Can you try moving the wires from P0...P7 to P16...P23?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My Prop Info&Apps: ·http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/propeller.htm
    edited 2010-01-02 23:17
    Rayman said...
    Can you try moving the wires from P0...P7 to P16...P23?

Yep, already tried that, and moved the DEN, DE, PCLK, and BL to different pins also; exactly the same problem remained.

Also tried 100R resistors on H & V sync pins to VSS on breakout board, again no difference.

Ants
    edited 2010-01-02 23:21
    Sounds like there's a bad connection on the breakout board somewhere... Can you try checking continuity to lcd connector's vsync and hsync pins? I know they're tiny, but you can just do it with a regular ohm-meter...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-01-02 23:25
    Also, try measuring voltage on Vsync (should be 3.3 V) and HSync (should be ~3.0 V)...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-01-02 23:42
    Rayman said...
    Also, try measuring voltage on Vsync (should be 3.3 V) and HSync (should be ~3.0 V)...

Yes have good continuity from prop leg thru to the pin in LCD connector for both V&H sync, and can see the trace on those pins when running. If I disconnect either from prop the LCD goes blank so they must be doing somthing.

Hsync=3.05v, Vsync 3.27 as measured at the LCD connector

Ants
    ·
    edited 2010-01-03 00:30
    Well, I'm at a loss... I'd break out an oscilloscope about now!

Maybe you could check resistance between the sync pins and all the other pins to make sure nothing is shorted together anywhere...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-01-03 00:37
    Also, can you post a photo of your setup?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
    edited 2010-01-03 00:43
    My guess is screen prop or breakout is bad. I can mail you another breakout to test but screen is more likely. Temp can cause tested good screens to go bad in shipping.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    24 bit LCD Breakout Board now in. $21.99 has backlight driver and touch sensitive decoder.
    edited 2010-01-03 03:53
    mctrivia said...
    My guess is screen prop or breakout is bad. I can mail you another breakout to test but screen is more likely. Temp can cause tested good screens to go bad in shipping.

Matt,

He has tried different screens.....so I doubt it is the screens.

I don't see how the breakout could be bad.

I'm at a loss.......

@All,

I was thinking because of the way he is calling the VGA pins "%000_111, the Hsync, and Vsync, need to be somewhere different. I would have figured the VGA call would be using 0-2 pins.......but I really do not remember.

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer

• ry.davidry.david Posts: 63
    edited 2010-01-03 16:32
    I modified the original 8x16 font Rayman posted (thanks again!) to make some a basic GUI. I modified the first 30 characters for the GUI elements, and slightly modified the 0-9, A-Z, and a-z.

Here are the functions I added to the driver test:

'UpdateProgressBar
    'Creates and updates a progress bar
    'Call first time with percent of 0 to create, afterwards call with percent

PUB UpdateProgressBar(percent, barcolor) | columns, oldcolor
      columns := (percent * 40) / 100

oldcolor := color
      color := barcolor

if columns == 0
        SetPos(10, 14)
        print($01)
        repeat 38
          print($02)
        print($03)

elseif columns == 1
        SetPos(10, 14)
        print($04)

elseif columns == 40
        SetPos(49, 14)
        print($06)

else
        SetPos(columns + 9, 14)
        print($05)

color := oldcolor

'CreateButton
    'Creates button using supplied text, framecolor, and text color

PUB CreateButton(text, framecolor, textcolor) | oldcolor
      oldcolor := color
      color := framecolor

Print($08)
      repeat strsize(text)
        Print($09)
      Print($0A)

row++
      col -= strsize(text) + 2

Print($07)

color := textcolor
      PrintStr(text)

color := framecolor
      Print($0B)

row++
      col -= strsize(text) + 2

Print($0E)
      repeat strsize(text)
        Print($0D)
      Print($0C)

col++
      row -= 2

color := oldcolor 

'SetPos
    'Moves cursor to specific column and row

PUB SetPos(x, y)
      col := x
      row := y

640 x 421 - 60K
    edited 2010-01-03 19:43
    Looks great!· Don't get mad, but I think I like this new version of 8x16 font driver better:

It's based on 8x8 tiles, stored in 4-color mode, like the Parallax ROM font.

This way, one can mix in 2-bit color tiles with the regular font...

The dat generator program now recognizes "GLYPH2" as a 2-bit color glyph (see first two characters in this example).

This should make it easier to add fancy looking buttons, etc...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-01-03 20:00
    Thanks for all the help, still no closer to solving the problem, but am away fro a few weeks so will try again when I return, starting with replacing the cable just to be sure.

Thanks,

Ants
    edited 2010-01-03 20:29
    Aquaaddict said...
    Thanks for all the help, still no closer to solving the problem, but am away fro a few weeks so will try again when I return, starting with replacing the cable just to be sure.

Thanks,

Ants

We'll be here when you return to the issue. I'm pretty much out of ideas at the moment, but I may come up with some........who knows.

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer

edited 2010-01-03 20:41
    Ants,

Sorry we couldn't figure it out...· I also doubt it's the LCD, since you tried 3 of them.· That leaves breakout board, cable, code, and Prop board as possible problems.· Since you tried a couple different pin groups and it seems like you know how to use the code, I'd say it's either the cable or the breakout board.· At this point, I'd lean toward the breakout board as the problem.· Maybe your best approach is to get hold of another breakout board...

Or, if you want, you can mail me your setup.· I'll figure out what's wrong and mail it back.· You just have to pay for return shipping...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Luis DigitalLuis Digital Posts: 371
    edited 2010-01-03 21:29
    Warning to all (if you use an IDE cable):

The latest of 80 Pins are not electrically compatible.
    If you want to use has to disassemble the connector and remove the bar contact is at the center.

Another problem is that the cables are thinner.
  • mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
    edited 2010-01-03 21:44
    yes unfortunetly i had to cheat a few pins. i tried to keep to the ide cable specs as close as possible but there are not enough signal wires on the ide so i had to steal a few ground wires.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    24 bit LCD Breakout Board now in. $21.99 has backlight driver and touch sensitive decoder.
  • ry.davidry.david Posts: 63
    edited 2010-01-03 21:52
    Thanks Rayman, the 8x8 tiles look very promising!

Could you please explain the longs defined under vga colors? I am assuming they are in binary as RRGGBBxx? How do the bytes 0-3 within each long work?

Thanks!
    Ryan
    edited 2010-01-03 22:07
    It's exactly the same as the regular VGA (&TV) driver...· Some primer here:

http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/Programming/Colors.htm

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2010-01-04 19:44
    Rayman,

Today I received my order of two 4.3" LCDs and one breakout board. Items appear in fine condition.

I'm surprised at the beautifully thin LCD modules. I assume there is one or more LCD controller chips -- somewhere -- within that module?

Now to look for the documentation on this items in preparation for a Prop Protoboard for them. Such fun. Compact display with COLOR. Will I ever be spoiled once I get this working.

Thank you for 'salvaging' these displays for those of us who can make use of them. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2010-01-05 15:01
    Harley: Have fun! There is a chip in there somewhere, maybe I'll dissect the one bad display I have one day...

Ants: I think Luis may have pointed out the problem. If you are using a cable where certain wires are hard grounded (may some color pins?), that could explain why the display goes haywire only with certian colors...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-01-05 17:38
    Rayman said...
    Harley: Have fun! There is a chip in there somewhere, maybe I'll dissect the one bad display I have one day...

Ants: I think Luis may have pointed out the problem. If you are using a cable where certain wires are hard grounded (may some color pins?), that could explain why the display goes haywire only with certian colors...

Hey...that is a thought. The wire would ohm out from point to point, but could still be connected to ground as well.

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer

edited 2010-01-05 20:24
    @ anyone

Yesterday I went through ALL the posts on this subject. Phew, was I beat after that. Was looking for some info, some of which I found, some not.

Where is the Prop <=> breakout board signals listed. I see some signal names on the b/o board, but that doesn't tell me what the Prop I/Os are needed for them. Is there a table somewhere; I didn't see how the Prop-to-breakout board should be wired? I will be using the original Prop Protoboard.

Unfortunately the orientation of the LCD flat cable below the display (6 o'clock position) and the available edge pads on the Prop Protoboard are a bit awkward. That seems to be quite often the case, in my experience. Makes the LCD upside down, closer to the viewer, below the Protoboard.

From the photos I saw looking through all the posts, this display should be a very good one. Photos don't always do justice to the actual display.

I plan to have a SD card on this Protoboard also. So I hope there are sufficient I/Os left over for other interfaces. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2010-01-05 20:36
    Well, the main thing is that the color and sync pins have to be used the same way as with the VGA driver... I think this means they have to be in a group of 8 pins. Choices are pins P0...P7 or P8...P15 or P16...P23 etc. VSync has to be the lowest number pin and HSync the next lowest.
    All the other signals can be on any pin you like...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-01-05 23:05
    Also, for the protoboard, it's probably better to use the +5V for the backlight voltage (AVDD), although you could also use the same 3.3V as for DVDD...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-01-06 00:14
    Peter said...
    Well, the main thing is that the color and sync pins have to be used the same way as with the VGA driver... I think this means they have to be in a group of 8 pins. Choices are pins P0...P7 or P8...P15 or P16...P23 etc. VSync has to be the lowest number pin and HSync the next lowest.
    All the other signals can be on any pin you like...

Sorry to be a pain, but I've not worked with any VGA and your information isn't very helpful. I have looked at the PSB demo code and need to study that, maybe, more to understand. For some reason, this interface seems so vague. I'm trying to draw up the Prop to breakout board wiring for those 20 pins; can't get very far. Don't know what the PSB is really; hopefully the code can be used for a demo. Or is there a better selection?

Thank you for the info on the backlight supply being better on +5v; lesser load on the input current I'd suppose. Would help if I looked up the data sheet on what that IC is.

Thanks for any further guidance.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2010-01-06 00:18
    Hmm...· Well, since PSB is almost out the door, I'll post a couple schematics here, in case you want to copy the pin setup exactly with your protoboard:

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    2365 x 1359 - 88K
    2343 x 1339 - 52K
  • tdeyletdeyle Posts: 85
    edited 2010-01-06 00:45
    Here's a pinout using the DIP Prop, just in case someone else is using that instead of the SMD versions.
    816 x 1056 - 187K