Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New 4.3" touchscreen LCD for Propeller: "used" screens almost free w/purchase. - Page 15 — Parallax Forums

New 4.3" touchscreen LCD for Propeller: "used" screens almost free w/purchase.

Comments

• EaglemanEagleman Posts: 31
    edited 2009-12-17 01:15
    Great work, Ariba!!· I have another tool to use with Ray's LCDs in learning how this mysterious SPIN stuff works.·· I tried to take a picture of the display for you, but it runs too quickly - they all came out blurred.· Is there a way to slow it down for a slower lens?
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,685
    edited 2009-12-17 07:44
    Thanks guys

There are some wrong comments in the Driver file (just copied from a 2 bit driver and forgot to change).
    So I attach a polished version. The code has not changed, only some description. If you don't want study
    the driver you don't need to update it.

Eagleman
    You can add the following line after the last line of PUB GraphicsDemo (same indention as k++):
    waitcnt(clkfreq+cnt)

This updates the display only 1 time every second. Enough time for a photo...

Andy
    edited 2009-12-17 14:23
    Ariba,

Here is the photo of your TSD_Graphics_Demo on my 4.3" LCD.· Hope this is good enough.

Also attached is a photo·of one of Ray's TFT LCDs in a Serpac 15-S-A box from Mouser.

Post Edited (Eagleman) : 12/17/2009 2:44:30 PM GMT
    1043 x 898 - 193K
    898 x 582 - 136K
  • M.E.S.HM.E.S.H Posts: 18
    edited 2009-12-17 16:00
    I was just wondering what kind of case that would fit the lcd !

Would be nice to get a metal front-plate to this lcd (witch actually keeps the lcd in place behind it as well). As thin as possible (of course not in the nano level of thin just because it's possible smile.gif ), so that the lcd's edges are click-friendly (with a finger-tip), even in the corners. Also some fixing points in that plate so that different back-ends could be used (45 degree uptilted table/kiosk mini stand, Ariba - the Pocket/PDA Prop, a Wall-mounted etc.)..

Nice to see the photos w installations (and even more graphics drivers freaked.gifsmile.gif

/M.E.S.H
  • mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
    edited 2009-12-17 16:08
    I like the look of that box. Is there much room for circuitry?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    24 bit LCD Breakout Board now in. $21.99 has backlight driver and touch sensitive decoder.
    edited 2009-12-17 17:02
    Metal case for the LCD, something like this fake image perhaps... and on the Prop II ? (Note that the graphics is from another existing system , just looked cool)

/M.E.S.H
    434 x 296 - 216K
  • FlyingFishFingerFlyingFishFinger Posts: 461
    edited 2009-12-17 17:41
    Wow that fake picture looks like something I'm dreaming of for the driver information display in our solar car...minus the shifting, of course tongue.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    UC Berkeley '12 EECS
    CalSol: Berkeley Solar Car team
    www.calsol.berkeley.edu
    KJ6AWU
    edited 2009-12-17 18:23
    Love the graphics. Now to mimic on display.

I think psodo 24bit color could be achieved using 3 prom chips like this

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=M27W401-80B6-ND

You still only get 64 colors but they can be any 64 colors

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    24 bit LCD Breakout Board now in. $21.99 has backlight driver and touch sensitive decoder.
    edited 2009-12-17 18:58
    Yes, must be perfect for the solar car, not stealing any power at all, and does not build any weight. This lcd (and equals) + prop will hopefully bring many (now in the drawer) projects up and into the light so to say, especially those projects that really needed the observers WOW factor to "work" , not just 4 blinking led and a couple of micro switches.
    edited 2009-12-17 20:14
    mctrivia, could you elaborate on the use of the three prom chips, sound really interesting!

/M.E.S.H
    edited 2009-12-17 21:08
    Parallel the inputs and have the outputs of each as a color band(rgb)

You can then program the prom with the 64 colors you want to use. Same idea as gif color table.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-12-17 21:30
    M.E.S.H,

Your display looks fantastic, but....· The·special box to exactly fit the display is impractical because of cost, circuitry space, fastenings (the screws on your display would go right through the display), battery space, switches and space for connectors like power, I/O, etc.· Once you try to really make everything fit together then reality sets in and the enclosure size and some other features may have to play the compromise game.· It's like looking at a picture of the dream living room with all of the necessary things like lamps, tv, phone, but you never see a power cord or cable anywhere.

McTrivia,

There is space for circuitry.· The amount of that space is dependent on things like whether the box is ordered with the 9 volt battery compartment (I had to notch the top of the battery box for LCD clearance), height and placement of tall components (had to shave a little off the box's board mountings for DB15H clearance).· The LCD fits nicely and taking the que from earlier posts, the LCD is held rather securely with double stick (cushioned) tape from Loews or Home Depot.· They also make a slightly larger box (27-S-x) with the slope from long edge to long edge that might work better.· The 4.3" LCD display is in·landscape mode which might be better suited to the #27 box than my setup.· Again, it's a compromise.· A portrait oriented font is needed for my box.

When I work out exact placements for my box, I'm going to send some boxes to neoteric for him to practice on with his new CNC machine.

I've attached a photo showing comparative sizes with and without batteries, the inverted top with the LCD securely in place, and also showing the box as I've used before with the Hill 20 key pad.

Post Edited (Eagleman) : 12/17/2009 9:37:39 PM GMT
    1197 x 598 - 178K
    edited 2009-12-17 22:34
    Eagleman,

Yes you're completely right. You have to excuse my photoshop skills and other drawing, they are out of proportions and all. I'm just a fan of the instrumentation plates/panels you see in old submarine movies and old fighter plane cockpits, nearly rusty w. old weared out screws etc. Plastic is great, but...

A thin universal metal frame for this lcd exact measurements let's one mount it on any home made "box", as small as it would allow for that particular project, I think the hard part is just near the edges around the frame, to get the feeling of "no edges" height-wise around it since it's a touch screen, perhaps there is a panel mount kit that has the right measurements already?

/M.E.S.H
    1449 x 462 - 62K
    edited 2009-12-18 01:32
    Here is a schematic to use 3x AT28BV16-25JC to give you 24bit color.

Requires only 6 pins.

Under normal mode you tie OE# low and WE# high.

To program set OE high and WE low. Have the prop step through each of the 64 colour combinations and for each one with another prop or dip switches feed the 24 bit colour it should represent.

A programing rig could be built to auto program and these ics can be socketed easily.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    863 x 1482 - 21K
    edited 2009-12-18 02:26
    M.E.S.H.·· Take a look at··www.emachineshop.com.· It looks like just what you are looking for. I priced (roughly) what I think you are suggesting for a top plate and the price came out to be about $10.00 each for a run of 25 in inexpensive ABS plastic (more for metals).· That's more than what the box would cost.· Try the link, tho, I think you'd enjoy seeing the possibilities of doing the designing and having someone like emachineshop to the fabrication.
    edited 2009-12-18 09:15
    Eagleman,

Thank you so much, that's -= exactly =- what I was looking for! I will download their software and give it a go!

/M.E.S.H
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,181
    edited 2009-12-19 18:12
    Ariba said...
    I tried your 6 bit driver, but my SD card is to slow (a 512MB older card). I get only the half buffer filled for every
    16 lines.
    Ok, I've cleaned up the 6-bit demo a bit.· I should now work with slow and fast SD cards.· Also, the number of rows of image is dynamically variable.· Also, it will show you a message if the SD fails to mount or open.· Also fixed the documentation a bit.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My Prop Info&Apps: ·http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/propeller.htm
  • Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2009-12-19 23:47
    Take a look at Front Panel Express too...

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

Tim
    edited 2009-12-20 21:04
    Tim-M: Frontpanelexpress looks very interesting. I like the emachineshop place too.

I think my next driver will be for a 6x10 font like this one:
    http://www.dr-hoiby.com/res/HobTiny.php

I think it looks pretty good and will give 80 columns by 27 rows!

I've already converted the font into a machine readable text file here:

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-12-20 21:54
    Ray, You are my HERO!!· I'm learning a lot from your LCD, breakout board, your software and now you're going to provide me with a usable small font for the LCD.· What a Christmas!!·· turn.gif······ Thanks

My first real Prop project is to modify your version of Paint3 into an on screen keyboard with touch "pickup" of keystrokes to be displayed above the keyboard image and stored into a temporary buffer.· I've done this with a PIC18F4620 and a MultiLabs· ezDisplay and it seemed to work pretty well.· Although my need is for portait format stuff, I'm doing this in landscape because it's the easiest right now.· This may have already been done or it turn out to be garbage, but it is a learning project.
  • ry.davidry.david Posts: 63
    edited 2009-12-20 22:10
    Does the variables defining the LCD pins work differently Ariba's drivers compared to Rayman's? I have the PSB Paint and PSB VGA Demo working fine. I can kind of make out the spinning triangles in the graphics demo, but it is really noisy.

This is what I have it set the driver to currently. (My physical setup is set to the default of Rayman's driver)
    DAT   'LCD connection and settings
    sync          long  0           'Sync indicator variable
    basepin       long  16          'CUSTOMIZE this Pin settings!!
    DEpin         long  26
    PCLKpin       long  25
    DONpin        long  24
    BLpin         long  24
    Brightness    long  22          '1..31
    parpass       long  0        'reserved for parameter passing   

Also, how tolerant is the display of longer wires? I have jumper wires ~8" from the prop to the break out board.

Thanks!
    edited 2009-12-20 23:43
    Are you saying it looks perfect with my driver, but noisy with Ariba's? Or, noisy with both?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-12-21 00:22
    PSB Paint, VGA Demo, and Graphics Demo are working perfect. I wired the display according to the LCD Driver vars.

I am having trouble with Arribas' driver. I had modified his driver to reflect how I have it hooked up, and the attached (crummy - sorry!) picture is what I get.

Thanks!
    1600 x 1200 - 125K
    lcd.jpg 124.9K
    edited 2009-12-21 01:26
    Well, it should work. All I can say is double-check that you've modified Ariba's code to reflect your pin wiring...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-12-21 01:28
    Also, make sure you are compiling the correct top-level file and not just the underlying driver...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-12-21 02:12
    blush.gif

I changed the DE and PCLK pins to 14 and 15, and now it works. Some reason it will not work with pins 24 and 25.

Thanks for all your help (and to Ariba for all your work on the driver)!
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,685
    edited 2009-12-21 10:10
    Rayman said...
    Tim-M: Frontpanelexpress looks very interesting. I like the emachineshop place too.

I think my next driver will be for a 6x10 font like this one:
    http://www.dr-hoiby.com/res/HobTiny.php

I think it looks pretty good and will give 80 columns by 27 rows!
    I've already converted the font into a machine readable text file here:

Here is this font conditioned to copy into a Spin source.

I have adapted one of my Text drivers to the font, but I am not totally convinced....
    I will post first my Text Drivers which use other fonts.

Andy
  • OakGraphicsOakGraphics Posts: 202
    edited 2009-12-21 19:08
    mctrivia said...

Requires only 6 pins.

To program set OE high and WE low. Have the prop step through each of the 64 colour combinations and for each one with another prop or dip switches feed the 24 bit colour it should represent.

A programing rig could be built to auto program and these ics can be socketed easily.

Interesting. So it's still 6bit to the propeller, but you are not limited by the color representation of the 6-bit, but rather you have a 6-bit pallet from a possible 24-bit library.

It comes in soic and pdip - very nice.
  • OakGraphicsOakGraphics Posts: 202
    edited 2009-12-21 22:39
    mctrivia said...

Requires only 6 pins.

Would be interesting to see if an 'inline' programming circuit could be made with 4x 74xx595 and some way to flip between the eeproms being pinned to the lcd and set as input from the 595's. Then you could load a pallet just like GIF whenever you like without having to remove the chips from the circuit.
    edited 2009-12-21 22:43
    It could but would require tri state latches or i2c expander.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔