Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New SD mode P2 accessory board - Page 7 — Parallax Forums

New SD mode P2 accessory board

123457»

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,198

The Edge Card has an SD slot. I gather you're thinking of using two at once then?

Having an I2C port might be handy.

• roglohrogloh Posts: 5,172

@evanh said:
    The Edge Card has an SD slot. I gather you're thinking of using two at once then?

No, I only need one. I still just don't trust booting off flash and then accessing the on board SD card reader on the P2 Edge (even though that is the simplest/preferable solution). I hate the idea of it locking up and preventing boot unless the system is manually powered down. If I could safely use the on board reader along with SPI flash for booting I'd just get one of these and route it to the front or back panel somewhere. I guess if I can make the front panel switch power off the system I might at least have a way to reset in case of problems.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162837010654

@evanh said:
    Having an I2C port might be handy.

Yeah was thinking about that as well.

I'm making progress again with details of smartpin/streamer/bit-bash timing interactions of using the SD command set in 4-bit mode. Every line of assembly has to be checked and tested and thrashed out over and over. Assumptions about what is happening is such a bug fest! I guess I'm not helping by testing and comparing about four alternative solutions at the same time. The start-bit search method has been something of thorn. It's funny, I get bogged down and too tired to concentrate from the myriad of ideas and options popping up as I go. I enjoy the puzzle too much I suspect. Never getting to the end.

I did think I'd be well into integrating with Flexspin's FAT filesystem by now but alas I've not even touched that beyond checking that the #ifdef switch works for flipped back and forth with the SPI based driver.

It's funny, I get bogged down and too tired to concentrate from the myriad of ideas and options popping up as I go. I enjoy the puzzle too much I suspect. Never getting to the end.

In this case, maybe best to just focus on one piece at a time until it works. Eg. single sector reads, then single sector writes, then try multi-reads etc.

I can't help myself. I want to optimise as I go. It's all good. I'm much happier that I've put the time in to tests the options. Learnt behaviours of the hardware.

edited 2024-04-15 11:33

Gotta write this one down! I've bumped into some really specific bug in one of my methods ...

CMD17 "single block read" fails to wait on a WAITSE1 instruction on every fourth block of the SD card, offset +2 (eg: block 2, block 6, block 10, ...). Moving the WAITSE1 out of Fcache fixes it, changing it to a WAITSE2 fixes it, and changing the call path also makes it go away. All of these are fully repeatable.

I can't see any change in behaviour coming from the SD card with the different block numbers, and indeed a different SD card makes no diff either. Err, I didn't look at the scope close enough. Changing to an SD card with longer block latency fails on all block numbers. So latency is a factor I guess ... WAITSE2 still fixes it in this situation.

I've done compares of the compiled binaries with the only diff being these two instructions ... and their encoding checks out.
    This is buggy:

setse1  #0b001<<6 | PIN_CLK    // trigger on rising edge
            waitse1        // wait for clocking to complete

This is fine:

setse2  #0b001<<6 | PIN_CLK    // trigger on rising edge
            waitse2        // wait for clocking to complete

• Well that sounds curious. My best guess would be that there's a hazard between SETSEx and WAITSEx, so if SE1 was previously set, it might not get unset fast enough. Though that doesn't track with the regular pattern... Does putting a NOP inbetween work? What is the previous SE1?

edited 2024-04-15 11:36

Okay, I now wonder if a prior event timeout setting that is done with SE1 might be lingering ...

edited 2024-04-15 11:45

@Wuerfel_21 said:
    Well that sounds curious. My best guess would be that there's a hazard between SETSEx and WAITSEx, so if SE1 was previously set, it might not get unset fast enough. Though that doesn't track with the regular pattern... Does putting a NOP inbetween work? What is the previous SE1?

Tried that and also uses of POLLSE1. No effect.

PS: Here's a fuller snippet of the offending code:

fltl    #PIN_CLK
            wrpin   mclk, #PIN_CLK    // revert to regular clock gen
            wxpin   mclkr, #PIN_CLK

// start-bit found, now read the data block
            xinit   mleadin, #0    // lead-in delay from here at sysclock/1
            setq    mnco        // streamer transfer rate (takes effect with buffered command below)
            xzero   mdat, #0     // rx buffered-op, aligned with clock via lead-in
            dirh    #PIN_CLK    // clock timing starts here
            wypin   clocks, #PIN_CLK    // first pulse outputs during second clock period
            rdpin   j, #PIN_CD    // count of latency clocks searching for start-bit

// begin thumb twiddling

// CRC check of five-byte response, Reference code courtesy of Ariba
            loc ptrb, #resp
            mov pb, #5
            mov crc, #0
    cr7lp
            rdbyte  pa, ptrb++
            movbyts pa, #0b00_01_10_11
            setq    pa
            crcnib  crc, #0x48    // CCITT polynomial is 1 + x3 + x7 (0x09 reversed for CRCNIB)
            crcnib  crc, #0x48
            djnz    pb, #cr7lp

// end thumb twiddling

setse1  #0b110<<6 | PIN_CLK    // trigger on high level
            waitse1        // wait for clocking to complete
    //      waitxfi    // wait for rx data completion before resuming hubexec
            ret

edited 2024-04-15 12:50

Huh, I was applying the full 100 ms spec'd timeout to block latency during the start-bit search and decided to also swap it's WAITSE1 to a WAITSE2. And guess what, that flipped the bug around. It's now buggy with a WAITSE2 on the block completion instead of with WAITSE1.

So it's not a timeout problem, it didn't have a timeout and now it does. But that event setup in the start-bit search code has a lingering effect of some sort ... here's the whole function:

static uint32_t  rxblock( const uint8_t * buf, const uint32_t rxlag )
    {
        uint32_t  i, j, crc;

// locate data block start-bit
        _pinf( PIN_DAT );
        _pinf( PIN_CD );    // reset latency counter
        _pinstart( PIN_CLK, P_PWM_SMPS | P_OE | P_INVERT_OUTPUT |    // clock gen stops when PIN_DAT3 goes low
                    (PIN_DAT3 - PIN_CLK & 7)<<28 | P_INVERT_A |    // smartA input select
                    (PIN_DAT3 - PIN_CLK & 7)<<24 | P_INVERT_B,    // smartB input select
                    1 | 10<<16, 5 );    // clock rate of sysclock/10
        __asm {
            getct   j
            add j, ##_clkfreq / 10    // SDHC 100 ms timeout of start-bit search, Nac (SD spec 4.12.4)

setse2  #0b100<<6 | PIN_DAT3    // trigger on low level, preferred to falling edge trigger
            // because DAT pins idle high during command and response and also ensures best chance
            // of seeing an early start-bit.
        }
        _pinl( PIN_CD );    // latency counter

__asm volatile {    // "volatile" enforces unoptimised use of FCACHE
            wrfast  nowait, buf    // setup FIFO for streamer use
            setxfrq nowait         // set streamer to sysclock/1 for lead-in timing
            add mleadin, rxlag    // adjust lead-in delay for rx lag compensation

setq    j    // apply the 100 ms timeout
            waitse2   wc    // wait for start-bit, C is set if timed-out
            dirl    #PIN_CLK
            wrpin   mclk, #PIN_CLK    // revert to regular clock gen
            wxpin   mclkr, #PIN_CLK

// start-bit found, now read the data block
        if_nc   xinit   mleadin, #0    // lead-in delay from here at sysclock/1
        if_nc   setq    mnco        // streamer transfer rate (takes effect with buffered command below)
        if_nc   xzero   mdat, #0     // rx buffered-op, aligned with clock via lead-in
            dirh    #PIN_CLK    // clock timing starts here
        if_nc   wypin   clocks, #PIN_CLK    // first pulse outputs during second clock period
            rdpin   j, #PIN_CD    // count of latency clocks searching for start-bit

// begin thumb twiddling

// CRC check of five-byte response, Reference code courtesy of Ariba
            loc ptrb, #resp
            mov pb, #5
            mov crc, #0
    cr7lp
            rdbyte  pa, ptrb++
            movbyts pa, #0b00_01_10_11
            setq    pa
            crcnib  crc, #0x48    // CCITT polynomial is 1 + x3 + x7 (0x09 reversed for CRCNIB)
            crcnib  crc, #0x48
            djnz    pb, #cr7lp

// end thumb twiddling

if_nc   setse2  #0b110<<6 | PIN_CLK    // trigger on high level
        if_nc   waitse2    // wait for clocking to complete
    //      waitxfi    // wait for rx data completion before resuming hubexec
            ret

mclk        long    P_PULSE | P_OE | P_INVERT_OUTPUT | P_SCHMITT_A
    mclkr       long    DAT_DIV | DAT_DIV/2<<16
    clocks      long    512 * 2 + 16 + 1    // nibble count + 16-bit CRC + stop-bit
    nowait      long    0x8000_0000    // tells RDFAST/WRFAST not to wait for FIFO ready
    mnco        long    0x8000_0000UL / DAT_DIV + (0x8000_0000UL % DAT_DIV > 0UL ? 1 : 0) // round up upon non-zero remainder
    mleadin     long    X_IMM_32X1_1DAC1 | DAT_DIV * 2 + 9  // + rxlag, first nibble to store is subsequent to the start-bit
    mdat        long    X_4P_1DAC4_WFBYTE | PIN_DAT0<<17 | X_PINS_ON | X_ALT_ON | 512 * 2    // mode and nibble count
        }
        _pinf( PIN_CD );    // reset latency counter

crc = _rev( crc )>>24 | 1;
    #ifdef _DIAG
        printf( " CRC = %02x  Data latency = %d clocks\n", crc, j );

//    for( i = 0; i <= 799/32; i++ )  {    // diag
            for( j = 0; j < 32; j++ )
    //            printf( " %02x", buf[i*32+j] );
                printf( " %02x", buf[j] );
            puts("");
    //    }
    #endif
        return crc;    // calculated CRC of command response - with stop-bit added
    }

edited 2024-04-15 12:56

@evanh said:
    ... But that event setup in the start-bit search code has a lingering effect of some sort ...

It doesn't make any sense. I've got a response handler that uses SETSE1/WAITSE1 pairs three times in one function, including a timeout in the middle, and never had this sort of bug with that.

I wonder if things like this are a result of doing the SETSEn instruction while the condition itself is true, vs the condition being false at the time, then soon followed by the WAITSEn instruction.

SETSEx is meant to clear any prior event. And I've also tried using POLLSE1 to do the same. I tried again about 15 minutes ago.

edited 2024-04-16 12:22

I'm now getting quicker/easier results by measuring the bug's impact using a smartpin counter, and debugging code enabled, instead of having to rely on the oscilloscope. And with help from the more frequent occurrences of the second SD card, seems I was wrong about the call path too. The bug is happening both ways.

I had thought it only occurred when debugging was off. But that was just when it became obvious on the scope.

Still can't explain why it happens though.

Oh, wow, you were both right. It was totally a lingering event trigger. My previous tests using POLLSEn to clear it were always placed immediately following the SETSEn - which didn't work. It needs one instruction spacing after the SETSEn before adding a POLLSEn to guarantee any prior active trigger won't interfere. eg:

setse2  #0b110<<6 | PIN_CLK    // trigger on high level
            nop
            pollse2
            waitse2

PS: This shows up most severely with level triggering, but it's not impossible for a badly timed edge trigger to also glitch a reused SETSEn transition.

edited 2024-04-17 07:09

Ha! An improvement:

setse2  #0    // cancel active trigger before reuse
            setse2  #0b110<<6 | PIN_CLK    // trigger on high level
            waitse2

I'm going to class this as a bug in the Verilog code for SETSEn instructions ... or all event setup instructions. err, it can only apply to selectable event sources, so SETPAT may be another.

edited 2024-04-17 08:49

It's same glitch effect that occurs when switching ADC input sources, and when changing the sysclock source too. Hence the shenanigans with multiple HUBSET's to reliably change frequency.

Okay, in light of this, I've made a design decision to setup SETSE1 upon each fresh SD command and it solely is used for checking the clock smartpin completion. All other event uses are now performed using SE2 as needed. Both are also reset ahead of each fresh command.

• @evanh said:
    Oh, wow, you were both right. It was totally a lingering event trigger. My previous tests using POLLSEn to clear it were always placed immediately following the SETSEn - which didn't work. It needs one instruction spacing after the SETSEn before adding a POLLSEn to guarantee any prior active trigger won't interfere.

Ah, thanks. I already knew that the event system is edge triggered, e.g. an event which state is already active won't cause a trigger if not cleared previously. But I didn't know that there is a NOP necessary.

edited 2024-04-17 12:26

Ah, it's faster to reset the event hardware than adding nop+poll. See the second post - https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1558763/#Comment_1558763.
    What I've found is not about the retriggering mechanism of recurring events. That works fine. What I've found is a flaw in the SETSEn instructions, in how they initially configure and arm those events.

And I've now made a demo program for the tricks'n'traps - https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1558770/#Comment_1558770