Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New SD mode P2 accessory board - Page 9 — Parallax Forums

New SD mode P2 accessory board

12345679»

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,392
    edited 2024-06-29 14:05

I still got some bugs to iron out:

• rxlag matching between routines isn't entirely sorted when High-Speed access mode is engaged. (This is likely affecting other issues.)
    • The Adata card, my oldest uSD card, and the newer of the two SanDisk cards are timing out on CMD7 SELECT when High-Speed is engaged. (Haven't looked into this at all.) Solved with P_INVERT_OUTPUT bug fix.
    • The Adata wasn't happy with sysclock/2 and 120 MHz Default-Speed either. EDIT: Okay, this one looks like our old friend from HyperRAM days. It's okay at both SD clock of 115 MHz (rxlag=7) and 125 MHz (rxlag=8). So probably wise to cap all future clocks at 100 MHz. >100 MHz wasn't looking effective generally anyway.
    • When in High-Speed access mode, both the older Sandisk card and the Samsung card have to calibrate rxlag twice before they settle. They seem happy otherwise. It's like they aren't actually changing access mode immediately. (Not that I've looked closely.) Solved with P_INVERT_OUTPUT bug fix.

UPDATE: Right, fixed two with one stone: Part of making the High-Speed mode changes function cleanly was to revert the SD clock back to positive polarity. For Default-Speed I'd had P_INVERT_OUTPUT applied to the clock pin. ... Well, I'd failed to thoroughly apply the reversion to all the needed parts of the source code. There is a lot places where the clock smartpin is reconfigured. Each one reapplies the inversion or not.

edited 2024-07-01 10:55

Well, I've been running the combinations and am now settling on using P_PULSE for clock gen. Even though it creates a little more bloat when adjusting the clock divider, it has its advantages. I hadn't used P_TRANSITION very much and thought I better actually compare them.

It turns out there is a notable advantage with the start-bit search, of both the command response and data blocks, where P_PULSE can be operated at double the rate of P_TRANSITION. (A little clarification: I've also decided that I want to avoid using input redirection so then no restrictions of where each pin is assigned. This means that the P_PWM_SMPS smartpin mode is off limits for the start-bit search.)

With P_PULSE, the streamer lead-in is computed to a whole SD clock cycle after DIRH, but with P_TRANSITION this is a half-cycle instead. That whole cycle available to the lead-in can be taken advantage of by shifting the streamer's first sample ahead of the first clock pulse gen. Ie: Read in the already present response's T bit, or first data bit, that has been presented by an overclocked start-bit search.

edited 2024-07-01 11:09

Another advantage of P_PULSE is it can handle sysclock/3. And that is actually a nice divider to use. It has the same rx sampling reliability that sysclock/4 has. Adjusting rxlag to align with the centre slot is hugely better than having to pick from two questionable sample points with sysclock/2.

That said, I guess making use of pin registration like we did with HyperRAM helps alleviate this at sysclock/2. It's something still to be investigated. It may have a negative impact on the above start-bit searching speed.

edited 2024-07-01 11:34

I've learnt that the Sandisk cards will go faster than 50 MB/s. They also have the worst latencies generally.
    None of the others will though. Those others just add extra latency to make any SD clock rate above about 110 MHz ineffective.

I'm thinking of settling on sysclock/2 for sysclocks up to 200 MHz. Above that use sysclock/3. Keeps the decision tree small and will still give ridiculously high performance.

• roglohrogloh Posts: 5,281
    edited 2024-07-01 12:01

So with your start bit search approach, how much time is wasted now after after the start bit actually occurs? IMO I don't think it really has to be 100% optimal for command transfers, given the larger percentage of time allotted to the data transfer itself vs overall time of entire transfer and its outer CMD transaction. For data it does need to be fast in order to respond in time.

As to sysclk/2 vs sysclk/3 I know I was still able to get sysclk/2 transfer rates working at high P2 speeds though perhaps I just was lucky with my choice of card - it should be documented somewhere earlier in this thread... here it was:
    https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1545820/#Comment_1545820

@rogloh said:
    So with your start bit search approach, how much time is wasted now after after the start bit actually occurs? IMO I don't think it really has to be 100% optimal for command transfers, given the larger percentage of time allotted to the data transfer itself vs overall time of entire transfer and its outer CMD transaction. For data it does need to be fast in order to respond in time.

Each block also has the same search. It definitely impacts throughput. I report both bulk data and command/response performances now, in a bulk repeating manner, to gauge which combinations of methods fit together.

As to sysclk/2 vs sysclk/3 I know I was still able to get sysclk/2 transfer rates working at high P2 speeds though perhaps I just was lucky with my choice of card - it should be documented somewhere earlier in this thread... here it was:
    https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1545820/#Comment_1545820

It's definitely card dependant. My oldest card, the Adata, struggles above 100 MHz SD clock.

edited 2024-07-01 12:56

@evanh said:
    Each block also has the same search. It definitely impacts throughput. I report both bulk data and command/response performances now, in a bulk repeating manner, to gauge which combinations of methods fit together.

Command/response runs for one card (Kingston) at one clock rate (40 MHz sysclock, 20 MHz SD clock):

- Response handler #3
      - Multi-block-read loop
      - CRC before block-read
      - P_PULSE clock-gen
     Response-test duration = 28100 us

- Response handler #3
      - Multi-block-read loop
      - CRC during block-read
      - P_PULSE clock-gen
     Response-test duration = 28000 us

- Response handler #4
      - Multi-block-read loop
      - CRC during block-read
      - P_PULSE clock-gen
     Response-test duration = 30500 us

- Response handler #2
      - Multi-block-read loop
      - CRC during block-read
      - P_PULSE clock-gen
     Response-test duration = 28700 us

- Response handler #2
      - Multi-block-read loop
      - CRC during block-read
      - P_TRANSITION clock-gen
     Response-test duration = 30000 us

- Response handler #2
      - Single-block-read loop
      - CRC before block-read
      - P_TRANSITION clock-gen
     Response-test duration = 30100 us

- Response handler #3
      - Multi-block-read loop
      - CRC during block-read
      - P_TRANSITION clock-gen
     Response-test duration = 27700 us

- Response handler #3
      - Multi-block-read loop
      - CRC before block-read
      - P_TRANSITION clock-gen
     Response-test duration = 28000 us

- Response handler #3
      - Single-block-read loop
      - CRC before block-read
      - P_TRANSITION clock-gen
     Response-test duration = 27800 us

- Response handler #3
      - Single-block-read loop
      - CRC during block-read
      - P_TRANSITION clock-gen
     Response-test duration = 28200 us

- Response handler #4
      - Single-block-read loop
      - CRC before block-read
      - P_TRANSITION clock-gen
     Response-test duration = 30200 us

EDIT: In hindsight, some those results are a little dubious. Two of those options, the "block" related ones, shouldn't impact the command/response performance. Yet there is differences. EDIT2: I suppose it could be put down to CALL/RET execution speed with different hubRAM alignments for different compile options.

edited 2024-07-01 13:07

Response handlers #2 and #3 are similar, #4 is clearly slower and that's because it uses the slowest one clock at a time for its search method. However response handler #3 uses P_PWM_SMPS so its search is not impacted by the clock gen smartpin mode. It is therefore also disqualified for using pin redirection. Response handlers #1 is also disqualified because it doesn't use the streamer so can't calibrate rxlag.

edited 2024-07-01 14:17

Hmm, thinking about the posted times. They are very rounded in lots of 0.1 ms. Uh-oh, I'm not verifying any validity of the responses in that test ...

EDIT: Shrug Seems fine. No timeouts and CRCs all check out.

Huh, of course, convention has made the data block's nibble order as big-endian. There's nothing stopping FAT filesystems using least nibble as first in the data block bytes, but it just isn't.

Typical of the PC world. They often mix big-endian and little-endian because Intel has always used big-endian number format for documentation - which is not all that surprising given we are only taught big-endian numbers at school. So this all spills over into implementations, creating those confusing mixes.

LOL, endianness matters yet again. Having grown up with Z80 and x86 LE stuff I remember freaking out a little when I was first exposed to a Motorola PPC405 buses at work and reading the docs seeing them label registers with bit 0 on the left side of a 32 bit binary value in the MS bit position increasing to 31 on the right side as the LS bit position. I knew it used big-endian inherently and can even switch to a little-endian mode too but at the time I just couldn't get my head around why on earth it was written like that. Also their A0 was the most significant address bit and A31 was the least. Bizarro.

See here for details.
    http://www.icbase.com/pdf/IBM/IBM02400107.pdf

edited 2024-07-03 03:29

IBM didn't really help there. They made it work for LE, that's how Intel should have done their LE. It was a bad way to document BE though. Bit numbering not following significance screwed everyone over.

I guess, to be fair, it did allow IBM to use one diagram to represent both. It was up to the reader of the document to fill in which significance the bits were. I don't think there has ever been a LE PPC processor, so still somewhat academic.

edited 2024-07-13 16:09

@rogloh said:

setq2 #128-1 ' 512 bytes 
        rdlong 0, databuf ' read from HUB to LUT
        rep #12, #128 ' repeat 128 times (@25 clocks per iteration = 3200 cycles)
        rdlut data, ptra++ ' get data
        movbyts data, #%%0123
        splitb data
        setq data
        crcnib crc3, poly
        crcnib crc3, poly
        crcnib crc2, poly
        crcnib crc2, poly
        crcnib crc1, poly
        crcnib crc1, poly
        crcnib crc0, poly
        crcnib crc0, poly

I've used your code but gone with RFLONG and feeding a 32-bit immediate mode streamer op once per loop:

xzero   mdat, data

This is sufficient for uninterrupted real-time CRC computing at sysclock/4 - Which I'm happy enough with. It's just a lot easier not using a large cog buffer in the C executing cog.

To transmit the CRCs as 4-bit parallel at the block end, I found a tidy solution with:

rolbyte pa, crc3, #0
            rolbyte pa, crc2, #0
            rolbyte pa, crc1, #0
            rolbyte pa, crc0, #0
            mergeb  pa
            xzero   mcrc, pa
            rolbyte pa, crc3, #1
            rolbyte pa, crc2, #1
            rolbyte pa, crc1, #1
            rolbyte pa, crc0, #1
            mergeb  pa
            xzero   mcrc, pa

mdat and mcrc are:

mdat        long    X_IMM_8X4_1DAC4 | PIN_DAT0<<17 | X_PINS_ON | X_ALT_ON | 8  // mode and nibble count
    mcrc        long    X_IMM_8X4_1DAC4 | PIN_DAT0<<17 | X_PINS_ON | 8  // mode and nibble count

edited 2024-07-13 16:17

One thing I haven't yet tried to solve is pin assignment. As you can see above, my test code is relying on compile-time constants, but that's not an option in the finished driver. It'll be painful if I'm inline patching all the streamer modes. It was a more humane process when it was just smartpins or bit-bashed.

I'd like to do all the patching during card init/mount only, but I've not figured out how as yet.

@evanh said:

@rogloh said:

setq2 #128-1 ' 512 bytes 
        rdlong 0, databuf ' read from HUB to LUT
        rep #12, #128 ' repeat 128 times (@25 clocks per iteration = 3200 cycles)
        rdlut data, ptra++ ' get data
        movbyts data, #%%0123
        splitb data
        setq data
        crcnib crc3, poly
        crcnib crc3, poly
        crcnib crc2, poly
        crcnib crc2, poly
        crcnib crc1, poly
        crcnib crc1, poly
        crcnib crc0, poly
        crcnib crc0, poly

I've used your code but gone with RFLONG and feeding a 32-bit immediate mode streamer op once per loop:

xzero   mdat, data

This is sufficient for uninterrupted real-time CRC computing at sysclock/4 - Which I'm happy enough with. It's just a lot easier not using a large cog buffer in the C executing cog.

Makes sense this way if you want to save on the LUT space, yeah. I may have coded it that way so it could coexist with some possible parallel reads from HUB via streamer but it's been a while so I can't recall why off hand. Still, it would be nice to be able to support sysclk/2 operation at some point if the underlying HW is capable of that.

To transmit the CRCs as 4-bit parallel at the block end, I found a tidy solution with:

rolbyte pa, crc3, #0
          rolbyte pa, crc2, #0
          rolbyte pa, crc1, #0
          rolbyte pa, crc0, #0
          mergeb  pa
          xzero   mcrc, pa
          rolbyte pa, crc3, #1
          rolbyte pa, crc2, #1
          rolbyte pa, crc1, #1
          rolbyte pa, crc0, #1
          mergeb  pa
          xzero   mcrc, pa

mdat and mcrc are:

mdat      long    X_IMM_8X4_1DAC4 | PIN_DAT0<<17 | X_PINS_ON | X_ALT_ON | 8  // mode and nibble count
    mcrc      long    X_IMM_8X4_1DAC4 | PIN_DAT0<<17 | X_PINS_ON | 8  // mode and nibble count

Good, seems tight.

@evanh said:
    One thing I haven't yet tried to solve is pin assignment. As you can see above, my test code is relying on compile-time constants, but that's not an option in the finished driver. It'll be painful if I'm inline patching all the streamer modes. It was a more humane process when it was just smartpins or bit-bashed.

I'd like to do all the patching during card init/mount only, but I've not figured out how as yet.

Instead of patching code you could probably assign some variable with the pin number and then have the executed mount code at runtime use that variable to generate the correct streamer mode data and other "constants" to be used. This is probably a lot simpler than trying to patch the executable code, but may likely involve developing more actual code. If only done once at init time it's not going slow anything down significantly.

@rogloh said:
    Instead of patching code you could probably assign some variable with the pin number and then have the executed mount code at runtime use that variable to generate the correct streamer mode data and other "constants" to be used. This is probably a lot simpler than trying to patch the executable code, but may likely involve developing more actual code. If only done once at init time it's not going slow anything down significantly.

It gets very bulky building the mode words for each and every use on the fly. Applying rxlag is easier since it's literally only a single add at each case and only applies to some routines. Pin assignments are multiple cases for every routine. Could be as much as ten variables to build up within one routine.

At the very least I'd want do a SETQ + RDLONG fast copy to registers from prebuilt structures. I'm fuzzy as to whether this could be done officially in Flexspin without future breakage. Hence I avoided the fast copy to lutRAM earlier.

edited 2024-07-14 06:17

@evanh said:
    ... I'm fuzzy as to whether this could be done officially in Flexspin without future breakage.

Actually, I have done this once already and got away with it. It was plain linear data buffer copied into a series of two local variables on the assumption that each local, in source order, would be consecutive registers in the cog. It's actually in Flexspin's existing SPI SD card driver. One occurrence at the head of the byte transmit routine. It reduced two initial RDLONG instructions to one. Pretty minor optimisation but it has proved reliable, afaik.

edited 2024-07-14 13:02

First basic CMD25 write tests are netting me up to 30 MB/s but is highly card dependant.

EDIT2: Ah, there is one still slow - seems limited to write speed of 10 MB/s. It's an older 16 GB SD card, Apacer brand.
    EDIT3: Make that two slow cards. I thought it was better but my oldest 16 GB Adata isn't doing so great either. It's hovering in the 11 to 14 MB/s range.

EDIT4: Actually, each card can vary quite a lot from run to run. So can't really count on consistent write performance at this stage. Now removed first speculation comments because of this.

edited 2024-07-17 12:03

Well, I think the oddity I had with the Kingston SD card has gone away in the interim. I no longer am getting the timeout when using CMD12 cancelling just after CMD18's response, before first block is read.

I've done a bunch of bug fixes to many of my routines recently, so I guess it had been my fault all along for not following the spec properly.

So now I no longer have any solid reason to use High-Speed over Default-Speed access mode. Which is good because doing the waterfall tests indicates that signalling is marginally better in Default-Speed access mode. I suspect this isn't due to changes in a cards behaviour, but rather likely related to the clock inversion that goes with Default-Speed.

In Default-Speed access mode the SD card outputs data to the pins on falling edge of the clock. To make this most responsive for the Prop2 driver it's best to have the leading clock edge be a falling one. And that means idle high, inverted. For some reason this inverted arrangement gives slightly wider margins at the sharp end of 180 MHz SD clock.