Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
KISS Eval board (general discussion) - Page 8 — Parallax Forums

KISS Eval board (general discussion)

1234568»

Comments

• hinvhinv Posts: 1,252

@evanh said:
    As the Prop2 chip reaches this PLL limit the hubRAM becomes unreliable. The PLL stability is the warning but it's the hubRAM corruption that crashes the program.

PS: Any task's code that's 100% contained within the cog it's running on will continue unbothered by the hubRAM limitation. Data accesses to hubRAM will be glitchy though.

What have you seen for the highest frequency with stable hubRAM?

• @Publison said:
    I will be receiving an order of 30 KIS0001 boards to the US in the next week for distribution to North America. Price will be $29.50+$5.15 First Class mail in a padded envelope.

I still have 16 KISS0000 without SD for $23.50+$5.15 First Class mail in a padded envelope.

You can use my PayPal account in my sig.

Are these prices still current?

• Unfortunately Jim @Publison has not been in great health recently, and he's not been active on the forums since Nov. 29th.

Jim- I hope you are resting and recovering. We miss you.

Anyone waiting on US boards might want to consider alternative plans at the moment.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,126

@hinv said:

@evanh said:
    As the Prop2 chip reaches this PLL limit the hubRAM becomes unreliable. The PLL stability is the warning but it's the hubRAM corruption that crashes the program.

PS: Any task's code that's 100% contained within the cog it's running on will continue unbothered by the hubRAM limitation. Data accesses to hubRAM will be glitchy though.

What have you seen for the highest frequency with stable hubRAM?

Oh, I'd definitely missed your question. But I did answer the same elsewhere. The upper stable frequency is entirely temperature dependant. See this graph - https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1545243/#Comment_1545243

Anybody selling the KISS boards for crypto? Anybody selling these at all stateside?

Thanks,
    Doug

• Hi @ManAtWork
    as described here https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/175264/does-taqoz-2-8-work-with-32gb-card/p1?new=1
    I now have problems to get some SD cards (SanDisk 32GB Ultra SDHC UHS-I A1 card, Rev. 85, manufactured in Dec. 22) working with Taqoz. Tested OK with PC programs.
    Up to now I have not found anything special with them other than that Taqoz reports, that they can draw up to 200mA. As far as I can see in the schematic, the 3.3V regulator can supply up to 0.8A. But just to be sure: Do you see any problems, if the card draws 200mA?
    Thank you, Christof

• 200mA is absolutely no problem. The LDO is rated at 0.8A but it probably gets very hot if it has to take more than 1W. So I'd consider 500 to 600mA as a practical limit. But don't worry, it has a thermal shutdown so it's protected against damage.

Any availability on these in the states?

• @Publison had some but his health deteriorated and he has not been heard from in some time. I could use one more myself. Maybe someone else could take care of US distribution. I would offer, but my wife has health issues right now and I don't need anything else on my plate.
    Jim

• I'm using KISS0000 and spin IDE and load the program to Flash, but when I powers off and on the program won't start, but if I upload to Ram it works again one time. Is Flash bad, is 280Mhz to high or how do I troubleshoot this? https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/175596/line-following-bot-using-low-cost-arducam-camera-module-more-or-less-working-already#15

• ManAtWorkManAtWork Posts: 2,049
    edited 2023-12-23 17:12

I don't know how spin IDE handles loading to flash. Propeller Tool and FlexProp both program the flash first and then do a hardware reset. So it's always assured that the flash is actually programmed and there is no difference if you do a second reset. If spin IDE only loads to RAM and then programs a copy into the flash that could fail and still run for the first time.

I think the frequency your program runs doesn't affect the flash programming. The bootloader should use RCFAST and switch to your custom frequency right after loading. The flash chips on the first KISS boards had a problem with the internal boot ROM of the P2 which violates the startup delay after reset. (see this discussion) But that should be fixed with the pullup resistor soldered to the flash chip.

• Does it work if you run a simple hello world program from flash using a lower frequency?

I've tested some boards and they worked up to 350MHz without problems. But this depends on how much IO pins are connected externally and the frequency they toggle. If you have a wide data bus and toggle many pins that draws a lot of extra power.

• I installed a newer Propeller Tools version instead and now it works as intended.
    Thanks,
    Stefan

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    edited 2023-12-24 00:15

Doug (hinv),
    Rereading my above post, I've now also combined the two graphs - https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1551043/#Comment_1551043