Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
KISS Eval board (general discussion) - Page 7 — Parallax Forums

KISS Eval board (general discussion)

Comments

• MaciekMaciek Posts: 668
    edited 2021-08-28 07:49

@RS_Jim ,

Jim, would this help ?
    The KISS0001 (KISS v2) schematic and layout (post #116 on page #4 ) of this thread.
    The original KISS0000 schematic and layout (post #1 and#2 on page #1 ) of this thread.

• mykemikemykemike Posts: 2
    edited 2021-08-28 10:20

For noobs (like me) let you know in Spin2 sample codes replace the
    CON _clkfreq = 160_000_000
    with
    con _xtlfreq = 25_000_000 _clkfreq = 200_000_000

After that debug and timing will work fine.

• @RS_Jim said:
    @ManAtWork,
    I am impatiently waiting for the arrival of my Kiss eval board that shipped from Tn today! I have been laboriously going through every post regarding this board and somehow been unable to find the board layout and schematics. Any documentation that you can point me to would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jim

Two treads to get started:

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/172225/kiss-eval-board-general-discussion/p1

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/172391/kiss-eval-board-ready-to-ship-taking-orders#latest

• @Maciek said:
    @RS_Jim ,

Jim, would this help ?
    The KISS0001 (KISS v2) schematic and layout (post #116 on page #4 ) of this thread.
    The original KISS0000 schematic and layout (post #1 and#2 on page #1 ) of this thread.

Missing links.

edited 2021-08-28 12:20

@Publison said:

@Maciek said:
    @RS_Jim ,

Jim, would this help ?

Missing links.

Not really. By "this thread" I meant this very thread we're in. But, here is the link to "this thread". I had no intention to link directly. When you search for something you often dig out something valuable.

• @Maciek said:

@Publison said:

@Maciek said:
    @RS_Jim ,

Jim, would this help ?

Missing links.

Not really. By "this thread" I meant this very thread we're in. But, here is the link to "this thread". I had no intention to link directly. When you search for something you often dig out something valuable.

OK. There are actually two threads running on the KISS board. I thought you where referring to the two.

• I have updated the first post with the newest schematic files and a preliminary version of the manual. If anybody likes to correct typos or add missing information there's also an editable version here (open document format).

• @ManAtWork ,
    Perfect timing1 I just received my Kiss Eval board in yesterday's mail. Will download and study the manual before I ever apply power. I did solder on the header for the program plug. I am hoping that my cm2102 kludge works so I don't have to buy a new prop plug. I think my old one got fried by a ground loop.
    Jim

• I cannot find how to force my board into internal Tachoz.
    Jim

• rosco_pcrosco_pc Posts: 449
    edited 2021-08-31 14:24

Same as usual, from the TAQOZ user manual:

GETTING THE TAQOZ ROM PROMPT UP

Connect a terminal and I recommend using ones that don't drop characters and support ANSI such as TeraTerm, RealTerm, GtkTerm, Minicom. You can use any baud rate from 9600 to 2M baud (or more) but by default select 115200, 8 data, 1 stop, no parity, no handshakes, no echo, no extra CR/LFs etc.

Now that you have your P2 connected to a terminal you can type a "greater than sign" and a "space" to autobaud the serial loader after which you can hit "escape" to escape to TAQOZ. That is the ASCII key sequence for $3E,$20,$1B.

PS I can confirm that works on the KISS0000 board

• Thanks
    Jim

• @RS_Jim said:
    I cannot find how to force my board into internal Tachoz.

;)

• @ManAtWork said:
    I have updated the first post with the newest schematic files and a preliminary version of the manual....

What's the part number for an xtal ?
    I'm trying to figure out which TCXO would fit the footprint but the schematic just says 25 MHz and the manual doesn't say too.

I'd rename the title of the manual to P2KISS Hardware Manual or you will soon find yourself flooded with the software examples crafted specifically for the KISS boards requests to be put in it too :).

• I can tell you the exact part numbr tomorrow when I'm at the office. It's a 1210 (~3.0 x 2.5mm) package with 4 pins. Standard pinout for oscillators is

4=VCC  3=OUT
    1=n.c. 2=GND

• I'd rename the title of the manual to P2KISS Hardware Manual or you will soon find yourself flooded with the software examples crafted specifically for the KISS boards requests to be put in it too :).

We will deal with that when it happens. Examples are welcome... :D

• @ManAtWork said:
    I can tell you the exact part numbr tomorrow when I'm at the office. It's a 1210 (~3.0 x 2.5mm) package with 4 pins. Standard pinout for oscillators is

4=VCC  3=OUT
    1=n.c. 2=GND

Thanks, that's all I need. Do not bother with the exact part number. I'm 100% satisfied with that info.

• Christof Eb.Christof Eb. Posts: 1,087
    edited 2021-09-05 10:30

@"Christof Eb." said:

@Cluso99 said:
    IIRC Flash boot comes before SD provided there is a pull-up on P61. If there is not valid code (checksum) in the Flash and P62 contains a pull-up (provided from the SD cards internals) the the SD Rom code initialises the SD card and then searches for the MBR, VOL and _BOOT_P2.BIX and _BOOT_P2.BIY files in that order and if not found (can take up to 1/2s or more depending on the SD card). If not found, the Rom code will try the serial next.

Hi,
    question while I am waiting for my Kiss-SD...

There is a pullup on P61.
    I want to boot Taqoz from SD-Card. Are these the steps needed?

Solved. Due to 25MHz crystal, there is some work to do about the settings. See post #40 here: https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/173727/taqoz-sysclock-confusion/p2

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/173767/p2-taqoz-v2-8-for-25mhz-crystal-of-kiss-with-sd-card-921600-baud/p1?new=1

edited 2021-09-28 18:38

@ManAtWork,
    I have just received your (now mine) KISS0001 boards.
    I must say this loud and clear: hats off to you for the placement of that R4 pull down resistor. Ingenious.
    Not only that. It's also very elegant and well thought out, given the circumstances of how it came to this R4 existence in the first place. And even the size of it matches the unusual place it occupies. I could hardly find it at first even though I was sure it's there. I'm still smiling when looking at this board.
    Thank you.

• I need an assist! My environment:
    Kiss0001 no sd card
    Linux mint
    latest prop plug
    flex prop
    I am trying to run jonnymac jm_fdsserial numbers demo.
    I do get the screen saying enter your name, I dont get it to accept any input from the keyboard, nor do I get the rest after the CR from that except the formatted numbers in hex, dec, bin etc, and it stops after one iteration.
    If it runs,what clk settings do you use?
    Jim

• @RS_Jim Have you tried the settings in post #193?

• RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,751
    edited 2021-11-10 23:29

I brought this thread to the fore ground because I needed to beable to refer another forum member to the manual which is on Post 1 of this thread.
    Jim

• hinvhinv Posts: 1,252

@Publison said:

@RS_Jim said:
    @ManAtWork,
    I am impatiently waiting for the arrival of my Kiss eval board that shipped from Tn today! I have been laboriously going through every post regarding this board and somehow been unable to find the board layout and schematics. Any documentation that you can point me to would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jim

Two treads to get started:

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/172225/kiss-eval-board-general-discussion/p1

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/172391/kiss-eval-board-ready-to-ship-taking-orders#latest

You taking crypto yet?

• hinvhinv Posts: 1,252

Oh, I forgot to ask. How fast will these boards reliably clock? Maybe 328MHz so I can play MetalSlug?

• I seem to remember @ManAtWork (Nicolas) stating in the documentation, words to the effect that these 2-layer(?) boards might not be suited to much overclocking.

Craig

• @hinv said:
    Oh, I forgot to ask. How fast will these boards reliably clock? Maybe 328MHz so I can play MetalSlug?

I don't guarantee anything above 180MHz but if I remeber correctly I did some tests in the LCD driver thread and it worked up to 350MHz. The P2 on the board should be pretty stable. It is NOT a 2-layer board but has 4 layers and a carefully designed ground and power plane layout. The lengths of the IO pin traces is not as well matched as on the Parallax P2 EVAL board so you might have some timing issues with memory extension boards that rely on ns-exact timing.

But if I, again, remember correctly somebody has built adaptor boards for hyper-RAM and he didn't mentioned any problems. So I'd give it a try.

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,800

I'll be very impressed if it can run NeoYume for >10 minutes.
    None of my boards can, even ones that use an Edge module.
    Latest board can run for ~5 minutes then goes off the rails...

• @Rayman said:
    None of my boards can, even ones that use an Edge module.

You mean with a 32MB Edge? That'd be strange.

Latest board can run for ~5 minutes then goes off the rails...

Could be memory config issue. I had that on the Edge when I started adding sound. Had to mess with the memory timings to get it stable again.

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,800

No, not the 32 MB Edge. All I have is one Rev. A and a bunch of Rev. B.

I'm pretty sure it's thermal, but who knows.
    I can tell when it's about to go unhinged when the black VGA background turns a little gray and the video gets slightly wobbly.

• @Rayman said:
    No, not the 32 MB Edge. All I have is one Rev. A and a bunch of Rev. B.

I'm pretty sure it's thermal, but who knows.
    I can tell when it's about to go unhinged when the black VGA background turns a little gray and the video gets slightly wobbly.

Yeah that sounds like a thermal PLL issue. Wobbly video likely indicates the P2 clock is being modulated a bit. We've seen this before on a VGA monitor when the P2 moves through a thermal range. @Tubular did some earlier work on this measuring the frequency changes as the chip heated up and he captured a thermal noise band...
    https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1460091/#Comment_1460091

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    edited 2022-08-23 23:44

As the Prop2 chip reaches this PLL limit the hubRAM becomes unreliable. The PLL stability is the warning but it's the hubRAM corruption that crashes the program.

PS: Any task's code that's 100% contained within the cog it's running on will continue unbothered by the hubRAM limitation. Data accesses to hubRAM will be glitchy though.