Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available - Page 21 — Parallax Forums

Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available

Comments

• RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,824
    edited 2014-04-02 03:44
    Re:V0.6
    When I have a Propeller board that I am using turned on, at the time that I start the IDE, the correct COM port does not get locked in. I hate to make this comparison, but with SimpleIDE, under the same circumstances, the correct COM port number gets locked in. I think that the Propeller Tool users will expect that the correct COM port has been selected by the IDE at the time of starting the IDE.

I am glad to see that the debug terminal is available for use, but I am not sure what the best use for it is. For instance, I am using my viewRTC.spin program for testing purposes, which uses the debug terminal. When I run it with the debug icon it works as expected, but when I select 'Run' and then select an external terminal using the port that the board is using, I do not see a program running on my external terminal program, nor is there any complaints about the port being in use, or locked out, by another program. So, I am not sure what the best use of debug terminal is.

As for the rest of the program, it seems to working as expected. I do try the beanie on all occasions, that is working as expected. The auto insertion probably needs some more fine tuning, but for some very small coded programs it will be fine, I think.

Ray
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-04-02 08:44
    Hey guys,

I'm not adding an AUTO search/program Propeller feature to the IDE for the first cut release. The current expectation is that you to discover the port and select it in the list. If it doesn't work that way, let me know.

Ray, If you want to use another Serial Terminal program with this IDE, it is up to you to figure that out (not the IDE).

I will be adding a provision for making sure the FTDI drivers are up to date. This is a requirement for SimpleIDE too, so it isn't too much trouble.
    edited 2014-04-02 08:47
    lmclaren wrote: »
    When using the auto complete, if I have the name of a object with both functions and constants, I can hit the "." and see both functions and constants but I can not use a constant, eg, I must have a "." before it instead of "#", maybe if you can not use the "#" to bring up the list, how about it you choose a constant, it removes the "." and puts in a "#"?
    This is a little unclear without an example. Can you post a zip of the spin program so I can reproduce the issue?

Thanks.
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,623
    edited 2014-04-02 12:15
    dgately wrote: »
    Jazzed,

Built and ran on Mac OS X (10.9.2). Had no problems ID'ing my Activity Board, loading, debugging! The console worked, running my test code from last month's postings.

OK, so I got out a couple of other propeller boards for testing...

Plugged-in the Activity Board & a Quickstart. compiled and ran my test app on the Activity Board. Once it had run through it's test, I modified the code to use the QS's LEDS (22,23) and compiled and ran on the QS. Success on that front!

Plugged-in a Propeller DNA board in place of the Quickstart. Tried to compile and run the same (QS-edit) code on the DNA board, knowing that the LEDs would not light, but the rest of the test SHOULD run. Cannot load the DNA with the compiled code. In fact, it now locks-up my Mac! Ran this test several times and required rebooting my MacBook Pro to get the USB port where the DNA is plugged in to work again.

To test whether this was a DNA board problem or Propeller IDE problem, on reboot, I ran SimpleIDE and was able to run all of the tests (Activity Board, Quickstart, DNA board) several times without issue.

The question is what does Propeller IDE do differently than SimpleIDE as far as USB ports and loading?

Lock-up was accompanied by the following:
    photo 2.JPG

dgately
    640 x 480 - 116K
    edited 2014-04-02 12:20
    Bug #2 with latest Propeller IDE source.

I am no longer able to resize the Propeller IDE window.

Steps:

1. Move the cursor to the bottom-right of the Propeller IDE window
    2. Look for an indication that the window will resize (cursor change?)
    RESULT: No indication that resize is available
    3. Try to click and drag the window to a new size
    RESULT: Nada! Window will not resize.

dgately
    edited 2014-04-02 12:47
    Dennis,

Thanks for more testing!

SimpleIDE uses an external loader. This version of PropellerIDE uses the same code, but as a library.

If your port gets stuck, just unplug the USB. If that doesn't clear the problem, then that's terribly bad.

I really hate to lose the ability to have instant-on terminal ability because of these issues, but may not have much choice. Possibility of change is the reason this code is on the "loader" branch.

If you like, there is a flag for using an external loader in the code. Look for this in EzIDE.pro ... "# Use a reliable external loader<br/> #DEFINES += EXTERNAL_SPIN_LOADER" and remove the # from #DEFINES .... Then do Rebuild on the project. You will need to select a loader. To do that enter the loader folder and do "make" .... Let me know if you have trouble. I haven't tested this in a while.

OK, so I got out a couple of other propeller boards for testing...
    edited 2014-04-02 12:51
    Resize works for me on my Mac.

Did you enable the Debug window?
    Are you in the loader branch?

Bug #2 with latest Propeller IDE source.

I am no longer able to resize the Propeller IDE window.

Steps:

1. Move the cursor to the bottom-right of the Propeller IDE window
    2. Look for an indication that the window will resize (cursor change?)
    RESULT: No indication that resize is available
    3. Try to click and drag the window to a new size
    RESULT: Nada! Window will not resize.

dgately
    edited 2014-04-02 13:19
    Rsadeika wrote: »
    Re:V0.6
    When I have a Propeller board that I am using turned on, at the time that I start the IDE, the correct COM port does not get locked in. ...
    Oops, I've been able to reproduce a problem now where the combo box starts with COM29 selected, and programming works fine, but switching to COM52 doesn't work because it's still trying to program COM29. This should be a simple fix ... famous last words of a programmer under pressure. LOL.

Follow-up: This only happens if the Serial Terminal debug window is open when the port is changed.
    edited 2014-04-02 14:45
    A fix for this problem is now in the repository.
    jazzed wrote: »
    Oops, I've been able to reproduce a problem now where the combo box starts with COM29 selected, and programming works fine, but switching to COM52 doesn't work because it's still trying to program COM29. This should be a simple fix ... famous last words of a programmer under pressure. LOL.

Follow-up: This only happens if the Serial Terminal debug window is open when the port is changed.
    edited 2014-04-02 14:58
    Resize works for me on my Mac.

Did you enable the Debug window?
    Are you in the loader branch?

Yeah, I enabled the Debug window because... Well, just because I could :smile:

I'll retry without.

dgately
    edited 2014-04-02 15:13
    If you like, there is a flag for using an external loader in the code. Look for this in EzIDE.pro ... "# Use a reliable external loader<br/> #DEFINES += EXTERNAL_SPIN_LOADER" and remove the # from #DEFINES .... Then do Rebuild on the project. You will need to select a loader. To do that enter the loader folder and do "make" .... Let me know if you have trouble. I haven't tested this in a while.

OK, so I rebuilt without the DEBUG define and window resize works!

But, the EXTERNAL_SPIN_LOADER mod only works part way... It builds and tries to use an external loader, but fails, using /opt/parallax/bin/propeller-load (since I just happen to have that loader handy). Is that the loader you mean?

OR

Are there sources for an external loader that I am missing? I don;t see a loader directory other than ploadlib and it has no Makefile, unless I run "quake" but doing that gives me a Makefile that only builds a library archive which PropellerIDE won't let me select in the Properties Dialog...

dgately
    edited 2014-04-02 20:43
    Sorry to leave you hanging Dennis, I'll look at the external loader stuff tomorrow.

I'm probably dreaming of something else that I didn't commit that has a Makefile.

OK, so I rebuilt without the DEBUG define and window resize works!

But, the EXTERNAL_SPIN_LOADER mod only works part way... It builds and tries to use an external loader, but fails, using /opt/parallax/bin/propeller-load (since I just happen to have that loader handy). Is that the loader you mean?

OR

Are there sources for an external loader that I am missing? I don;t see a loader directory other than ploadlib and it has no Makefile, unless I run "quake" but doing that gives me a Makefile that only builds a library archive which PropellerIDE won't let me select in the Properties Dialog...

dgately
  • RoadsterRoadster Posts: 209
    edited 2014-04-02 21:59
    @jazzed V 0.6 has simular results to V 0.5 for loading, however I do question weather the V 0.6 install is newer than V 0.5, when I goto the about it still says version 0.5 and when I look as the install folder the propellerIDE.exe is dated march 31
    edited 2014-04-02 22:48
    Roadster wrote: »
    @jazzed V 0.6 has simular results to V 0.5 for loading, however I do question weather the V 0.6 install is newer than V 0.5, when I goto the about it still says version 0.5 and when I look as the install folder the propellerIDE.exe is dated march 31

Hmm. Maybe I forgot to rebuild.
    Sorry for the trouble.

Make sure you uninstall the program before running the installer.
    edited 2014-04-02 23:25
    Oivey. Disregard that last package. Same problem. I see what happened now.

This one is correct. Try it please.
    edited 2014-04-03 04:19
    I just installed "the correct one", and when I run my test program, viewRTC.spin, I have nothing showing in the debug screen, did debug screen get turned off, or is the program not being loaded? At least my computer is not being locked up, I am using the DNARTC board.

Ray

<edit> Now it seems to be working correctly, not sure what happened when I first installed and tried the test program. <edit>
    edited 2014-04-03 06:11
    Version 0.6 is working, but here is what I noticed:

This first load is fast and most loads after that are very slow but do work.

If I disconnect and re-connect the usb cable from the quick start board before every load it is fast just like the propeller tool.

If I click the propeller hat to detect the port that works, but all loads fail after that until disconnect and re-connect the usb cable
    edited 2014-04-03 07:42
    If I click the propeller hat to detect the port that works, but all loads fail after that until disconnect and re-connect the usb cable
    This is very mysterious to me. Does anyone else see it?
    edited 2014-04-03 08:12
    Do you have more than one port connected? Are propellers on more than one port? Does the port change when you reconnect the usb cable?
    edited 2014-04-03 08:30
    I just tried my QuickStart board, doing what Roadster is doing, and I could not replicate the problem that he is having, my test run was good to go. In fact I just tried my GG PPUSB board, and that one did not have any problems either.

Ray
    edited 2014-04-03 10:48
    Do you have more than one port connected? Are propellers on more than one port? Does the port change when you reconnect the usb cable?
    All of the above question are no.

I copied my virtual machine to different hardware I5 cpu vs I7 cpu and it works perfectly as long as don't hit the propeller hat, once I do that it fails to load

one other hardware difference is my I5 has usb 2.0 ports, my I7 has usb 3.0 ports

I don't think at this point you should spend too much time on my issue, I'm not sure how many uses are using vmware

here is something I found off the topic, the zip / archive function doesn't add time add date to the file like the propeller tool.
    edited 2014-04-03 13:21

Here is version 0.7. Please test this binary.

It uses an external loader derived from the Propeller-GCC loader.

I've pushed changes to the repository, but haven't had a chance to test them on linux/mac yet.
    edited 2014-04-03 15:33

Here is version 0.7. Please test this binary.

It uses an external loader derived from the Propeller-GCC loader.

I've pushed changes to the repository, but haven't had a chance to test them on linux/mac yet.

After hg pull & hg update, I rebuilt PropellerIDE (made sure to =comment-out "DEFINES+=EXTERNAL_SPIN_LOADER") and here are my results:

1. Plugged in an Activity Board and a QuickStart to MacBook Pro on OS X, 10.9
    2. Launched Propeller IDE, clicked on the Beanie and it showed both boards on available ports
    3. Went through a compile and load on each board, seemed to work as expected. Closed the Terminal window at the end of test
    4. Switched-off the Activity Board and unplugged its USB connection...
    RESULT: The Terminal window displayed (Should it?) And, it displayed and with the /dev/cu.usbserial-NNNNNNN of the other prop board! Wha?

More testing to do but after doing the above several times, my mouse is not allowing clicks. Have to restart now, so I'm completing this via the keyboard. I'll EDIT once back up & running...

(Power button restart)

Ah, back now... Looks like there are some interactions when there are multiple prop boards plugged in that cause the Terminal to break-down. Personally, I think the way SimpleIDE works is fine, though I understand that this is a feature to get NOOBIEs up & running quickly with little expectation of them understanding ports and such...

I'll update once I've dome some specific testing.

dgately
    edited 2014-04-03 16:36
    V 0.6 works much better, V 0.7 does not work at all on my I7 hardware and on my I5 hardware its not as reliable, it fails half of the time
    edited 2014-04-03 17:23
    Further testing with a Propeller DNA board...

Although the DNA board shows up when plugged in and actually pulls-up the Terminal window and displays text from a previously stored program, I'm not able to load newly compiled code to the board. The same board is able to be loaded from Simple IDE on the same computer.

Does the Propeller IDE set any delay when it invokes the loader? I didn't need one with SimpleIDE.

dgately
    edited 2014-04-04 11:50
    V 0.6 works much better, V 0.7 does not work at all on my I7 hardware and on my I5 hardware its not as reliable, it fails half of the time

Hmm. The loader is now external which should be more reliable because it is based on the well worn and reliable propeller-gcc loader used in SimpleIDE. I think I made a mistake in changing the loader syntax.

Does the little Loader3 app I posted before still behave the same as you described?

I'm attaching Loader4 GUI here similar to Loader3 to use for comparisons.

Please try it with pload.exe and propeller-load.exe and post results here ... you can choose the loader.

@Dennis,

I may need to come see you to understand what's happening. Are available tomorrow April 5th?
  • KMyersKMyers Posts: 433
    edited 2014-04-04 12:19
    For my win7 I7 works good. No prob loading my C3 and Activity board. Beanie sees all my com ports even those with out Props...
    edited 2014-04-04 12:23
    @Dennis,

I may need to come see you to understand what's happening. Are available tomorrow April 5th?

I'm kinda busy until the afternoon as I'm helping out at the Annual Cinderella Cycling event, here in the Tri-Valley. Will be handing out refreshments to the ladys as they complete their 100K bike ride.

I'll send you an email with my phone info!

dgately
  • KMyersKMyers Posts: 433
    edited 2014-04-05 09:46
    Jazzed, just tried working with Parallax's Learn XB to Pc. Acts like it builds compiles ok, nothing pops up. When I download to ram I get "send long error load failrd"

Works ok on Prop tool. Am I doing something wrong? Win 7 system.
    edited 2014-04-05 10:07
    KMyers wrote: »
    Jazzed, just tried working with Parallax's Learn XB to Pc. Acts like it builds compiles ok, nothing pops up. When I download to ram I get "send long error load failrd"

Works ok on Prop tool. Am I doing something wrong? Win 7 system.

Hi Ken.

I take it you are using V0.7? What happens with V0.6?

Did you happen to try Loader4.zip?

Would you be willing to run programs from the big ugly black command window? I could make a .bat file for you to double-click for running loader programs ... can you do that?

Not sure what Learn XB to Pc is. Can you post the Spin file?

Thanks.