Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available - Page 24 — Parallax Forums

Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-04-11 13:44
    The 127KB propeller-load appears to be from the "default" propellergcc tree.
    The 134KB propeller-load appears to be from the release_1_0 tree.

Not sure what the difference is ... checking ....
  • KMyersKMyers Posts: 433
    edited 2014-04-11 13:46
    Jazzed,

Changed as you suggested but this time no good loads. Loads work in prop tool so cables and boards are ok. My path was in PropIDE. Did not compare file sizes but will check in a bit.
    edited 2014-04-11 13:52
    Ray,

What loader were you using when you got the BSOD ?

I'll post a V0.10 in a while pending answer to this question.
    edited 2014-04-11 13:59
    Checked file sized in Prop IDE and Simple IDE..

In prop IDE propeller-load.exe was 134KB
    In Simple IDE it is 132KB

Did not find one of 127KB???
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,824
    edited 2014-04-11 13:59
    BSOD, come on, I am an old flatus, I do not know what that means. I first ran V0.9 as is, did not change anything in the properties window.

Ray
    edited 2014-04-11 14:30
    Rsadeika wrote: »
    BSOD, come on, I am an old flatus, I do not know what that means. I first ran V0.9 as is, did not change anything in the properties window.

It's that thing you mentioned in earlier in post 682.

Try this V0.10 package please - it should use p1load.exe automatically. Before V0.9 had the suspect bad propeller-load version in it by default.
  • RoadsterRoadster Posts: 209
    edited 2014-04-12 03:32
    I have tested with v 0.10 with the following boards with no issues:
    C3
    Quick Start ver A
    Propeller ASC+
    Propeller Platform USB
    Chameleon propeller / avr version
    Hydra
    edited 2014-04-12 06:50
    Roadster wrote: »
    I have tested with v 0.10 with the following boards with no issues:
    C3
    Quick Start ver A
    Propeller ASC+
    Propeller Platform USB
    Hydra
    Thanks Roadster.
    edited 2014-04-12 09:03
    This version ID's correctly, builds and loads correctly to 2 activity boards and my C3. Just cant get the terminal to display anything but displays correct with putty and pst. Seems fast with no slowdown. Can now do multiple loads and burns..
    edited 2014-04-12 09:07
    KMyers wrote: »
    This version ID's correctly, builds and loads correctly to 2 activity boards and my C3. Just cant get the terminal to display anything but displays correct with putty and pst. Seems fast with no slowdown. Can now do multiple loads and burns..

Hi Ken,

Can you post your program?

Does it help to add a delay before the output?

For example ...

waitcnt(CLKFREQ+CNT)
    edited 2014-04-12 09:34
    I experimented last night and you need to put in at a 635ms delay before your output. Just to be on the safe side I would recommend 700ms delay. It looks like V0.10 is working as expected, have not run into problems yet.

In the properties window you have a spin tab and of course the Loader and Compiler selections, what is the Library selection for?

Ray
    edited 2014-04-12 09:44
    Ray,

The Library is for selecting a folder that contains spin OBJ files which may not be in the same folder as the one you are using. It is important for people who want to reuse code between projects.

So, even with the latest version you need the delay?

If folks are up for testing it ..... a version with a library version of David's p1load inside the IDE instead of an external program would be useful. That wouldn't require any delays before serial output. It has been a struggle getting this to work before, but it's worth one more chance. All I have to do is flip a switch to go back to the external loader.

I experimented last night and you need to put in at a 635ms delay before your output. Just to be on the safe side I would recommend 700ms delay. It looks like V0.10 is working as expected, have not run into problems yet.

In the properties window you have a spin tab and of course the Loader and Compiler selections, what is the Library selection for?

Ray
    edited 2014-04-12 13:31
    jazzed wrote: »
    If folks are up for testing it ..... a version with a library version of David's p1load inside the IDE instead of an external program would be useful. That wouldn't require any delays before serial output. It has been a struggle getting this to work before, but it's worth one more chance. All I have to do is flip a switch to go back to the external loader.
    I'll try it.
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2014-04-12 20:08
    Just wanted to say sorry for not participating here more over the last few weeks. I've been sidetracked with other local things. I should be able to get back to participating more in the near future.

Seems like Steve has been having fun with the loader issues. ;)
    edited 2014-04-12 22:07
    Welcome back Roy.

Ok, here is a version V0.11 with David's p1load program integrated as a library for Windows.

Please test and look for loading failures more than anything.

It all works for me including the terminal in XP, Win7, and Win8.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-04-13 05:14
    EDIT: Sorry, Steve, I reread this original post and it sounded way too negative - blame it on writing morning reports at work. V.11 works great! It loads the propeller more faster and the transition from IDE to debug terminal is faster. This may not be actual but percieved but with a user interface, it's perception not clock time. I haven't lost any "first output" from my test programs - no delays were required. It works very well overall, unless you have a QS Rev A, then there are random loading issues. I don't think I have a Rev B to test with, I'll have to dig through my inventory. All in all, well done!!

Original post:

Uninstalled v.8 and installed v.11 on my Win7 Laptop

Pointed to Libraries

Opened the PST demo. I had changed crystal setting for one board but didn't realize it so I hit the Debug Icon and it compiled and loaded to the QS Rev A it had correctly found.
    Terminal opened up and displayed garbage - DOH! Realized my crystal didn't match the board, Recompiled and got:

pide-v11-load-fail.png

This was repeatable for me every other load. Load it with Debug Icon on ribbon bar, close terminal window with red X, load again with debug icon and it fails. I then tried it with F8 and it worked consistently. Now I can't get it to fail. (Stupid QS boards!)

Plugged in PropKey and DNA for a total of 3 Props. PropKey and DNA load fine, repeatedly. The QS is acting up again - about every other load. The others have never failed a load (but we know that).

VERY ANNOYING FEATURE: Each time I start the debug terminal, it moves down the screen a bit until after about 10 cycles, it's 1/2 off the screen. You can move it to a new location before closing and it will remember that location but then with each new opening, it starts to move down the screen. This FEATURE is independent of board type!

More load testing and toggling back and forth, now the QS is not failing. Nothing to make it repeatedly fail but it is lurking out there on the QS. It's a shame Parallax's best entry level board is plagued with this design issue. :frown:
    828 x 649 - 92K
    edited 2014-04-13 07:51
    I have tested v 0.11 with win7 on vmware with an I7 and I5 processors with the following boards and had no issues:
    C3
    Quick Start ver A
    Propeller ASC+
    Propeller Platform USB
    Hydra
    edited 2014-04-13 08:48
    Will try the delay in my program later after company leaves. I currently only have a delay after I init the term and LCD.
    edited 2014-04-13 09:59
    For V0.11, you do not need a delay, works just fine. Tested some of the other boards with the latest version, and they work as expected except for the QuickStart board. That one was having trouble with the PORT select and then reporting that no Propeller found. But that did not occur all the time, after trying a couple of times it was working as expected, on occasion. So, if it does not the first time, try again.

Ray
    edited 2014-04-13 10:07
    Hi Guys.

Yes, Quickstart RevA is the biggest MCU PITA I've had the pleasure of meeting ;-) If you recall, I also had trouble with it at one time with the stand-alone p1load program.

Since this V0.11 seems to be working well, I'll probably add it to the repository and test on Mac/Linux.

Please beat on it more.

Thanks for testing, and thanks to David Betz for making a new loader.
    edited 2014-04-13 13:44
    Well success! Adding a delay to all term outputs I got same output as on Putty etc. Have not tried V0.11 yet.

Question What happens when the buffer fills up?
    edited 2014-04-13 14:40
    KMyers wrote: »
    Well success! Adding a delay to all term outputs I got same output as on Putty etc. Have not tried V0.11 yet.

Question What happens when the buffer fills up?

The terminal buffer should be limited according to the settings in Options -> Appearance.

Find a PropellerIDE V0.12 that should fix Quickstart RevA problems here.

Please retest all boards, and Quickstarts. Thanks.
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,929
    edited 2014-04-13 17:07
    I just ran a very quick test on a Rev A board (load FDS, wait 10ms, display a string) with no problems.

I initially had trouble with the space count for the TAB key, but it now seems to be working (I had initially entered two, but got only one space. I changed to eight, it started working, I put it back to two and it works as desired.)
    edited 2014-04-14 08:55
    Thanks for testing Jon. Is the tab thing resolved?

Need more V0.12 Quickstart RevA Windows testing from others here ... please.

I've pushed changes for Linux/Mac on the loader branch.
    edited 2014-04-14 10:33
    Re:V0.12
    The QuickStart Rev A boards are working, BUT now the other boards are not displaying anything to the debug screen, even with a 1000ms delay inserted. The port selections are being found correctly, the Propeller is being found, but for a board other than a QS there is nothing being shown in the debug screen, and that includes the PropBOE that I tried.

Ray
    edited 2014-04-14 10:40
    Re:V0.12
    The QuickStart Rev A boards are working, BUT now the other boards are not displaying anything to the debug screen, even with a 1000ms delay inserted. The port selections are being found correctly, the Propeller is being found, but for a board other than a QS there is nothing being shown in the debug screen, and that includes the PropBOE that I tried.

Ray
    Ugh. There should be no difference for other boards.

Without changing anything else like power-cycle, installing other programs, etc.....

Uninstall V0.12, install V0.11 and retest with other boards. Then go back to V0.12 and retest.

More results from anyone else?

Thanks.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-04-14 10:54
    This won't make it any easier.

Win7 Desktop w/ v.12 - using PST demo for test program.

Switching back and forth between Activty Board and QS Rev A.

No issues seen. No delays in code.

20+ loads of QS with I/O to terminal when terminal killed and them QS reloaded. No issues.

Beanie, EEPROM, RAM loads all work. Switching between the two boards works.

I can probably test more later.

:thumb:
    edited 2014-04-14 11:43
    Thanks for testing Jon. Is the tab thing resolved?

Not sure if it resolved itself or was operator error -- will call it my error unless it is reported by others.

Request: Can a "Projects" directory be added to the Spin tab of the Properties dialog?
    edited 2014-04-14 11:50
    Something I just noticed: I unchecked Enable AutoComplete and Enable SpinSuggest. The next time I started the program they were checked again.

I closed a modified program from the X on the editor panel name tab and was not prompted to save.
    edited 2014-04-14 12:13
    JonnyMac wrote: »
    Something I just noticed: I unchecked Enable AutoComplete and Enable SpinSuggest. The next time I started the program they were checked again.
    Yes. I haven't had time to add that to settings yet. Sorry.
    I closed a modified program from the X on the editor panel name tab and was not prompted to save.
    Ok, will look into it.
    Not sure if it resolved itself or was operator error -- will call it my error unless it is reported by others.
    Ok. Thanks.
    Request: Can a "Projects" directory be added to the Spin tab of the Properties dialog?
    There is some insane revulsion to the idea of Projects here ;-) Choose another word? Maybe Workspace?