Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available - Page 18 — Parallax Forums

Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available

Comments

• dgatelydgately Posts: 1,629
    edited 2014-03-18 23:10
    Heater. wrote: »
    Except on Linux gcc is not necessary, Qt stuff compiles with Clang just fine.

As it does on Mac OS X

dgately
    edited 2014-03-19 00:52
    Update of the update...
    dgately wrote: »
    Menu commands:
    1. Cntl-F (Cmd-F on Mac OS X) will invoke the Find & Replace panel
    2. Cntl-F (Cmd-F on Mac OS X) will hide the Find & Replace panel if it is currently visible
    3. Cntl-G (Cmd-G on Mac OS X) will search forward to find the next occurrence of the searched text (Update! these keyboard shortcuts don't work on Linux)
    4. Cntl-Shift-G (Cmd-Shift-G on Mac OS X) will search backwards for a previous occurrence of the searched text (Update! these keyboard shortcuts don't work on Linux)
    Buttons:
    1. Left-arrow button is same as Cntl-Shift-G (Cmd-Shift-G on Mac OS X) <== Note: arrow icon file may be missing until repository is updated
    2. Right-arrow button is same as Cntl-G (Cmd-G on Mac OS X) <== Note: arrow icon file may be missing until repository is updated
    3. Text-balloon button sets the Whole-word-search filter (just like SimpleIDE) <== Note: whole-word-search icon file may be missing until repository is updated
    4. Magnifying-glass button sets the Case-sensative-search filter (just like SimpleIDE) <== Note: case-sensative-search icon file may be missing until repository is updated
    5. Done button hides the Find & Replace panel (just like Cntl-F/Cmd-F when panel is already visible) and exits
    6. Replace Previous, Replace Next & Replace All buttons were left as text buttons to relay their more complex actions (if you have a better idea for graphical icons, please let me know)

All of the issues in red above have been resolved in latest sources.

dgately
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-03-19 13:28
    Hi. I've added the .zip feature back into the repository. It no longer uses the quazip library.

There is no Unzip feature yet ! That is, if you open a zip file, it won't work. This will be added later. It is much easier to do now.

Let me know if there is anything you don't like about it. There is an information message after zip succeeds for example; maybe that is bad?
    And no, I'm not adding a huge timestamp to the zip file name. Someone else can do that later.

Please pull, update, and test.

Thanks.
    edited 2014-03-19 16:08
    Added highlight for error line. Found a bug during testing where the library file was being used before the local file.

One more feature left, then packaging, and this sucker goes into maintenance mode as far as I'm concerned.

You all should be testing this thing while I'm interested in it ;)
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2014-03-19 16:35
    jazzed/Steve,

So it's ready for prime time testing! Well done.

As a windoze person who doesn't use git, would you mind posting a quick link and what to do?
    edited 2014-03-19 18:42
    Jazzed,

zipissue.png

I get this when I try to open the .zip file from the Finder in Mac OS X (10.9). Weird, but I'm able to open and it from 7zX (a free unarchiver app)...

dgately
    401 x 198 - 32K
    edited 2014-03-19 19:41
    Thanks Dennis. Opening a zip in Windows/Linux works fine. I've reproduced the Mac error and will look into it.

Most likely I'll make a Windows test package tonight. Hopefully we can get more testing with that. I'll change the thread title too.
    edited 2014-03-19 21:47
    Tested latest sources on Linux (Debian Wheezy 64-bit)...

Did not see the same error where .zip file could not be unarchived as I had on Mac OS X (Good news, that!)

Enhancement request: Can we add a Cntl-T (Cmd-T on Mac OS X) to the Fonts menu? That may go against typical Win or Linux key binding (I wouldn't know), but I think it helps keeping the user from having to use the mouse to access menu items. Same for Zip (Cntl-Z?)...

dgately
    edited 2014-03-19 22:00
    Hi Dennis.

Yes, these things are fairly easy to control per platform. #ifdef Q_OS_MAC, Q_OS_WIN, Q_OS_X11 etc.... Ctrl+Z for zip is not very good :)

I'm up for anything you can do to make the Mac user experience better. I'm a little bewildered by some things I've seen lately in "some other programs" :)

I have a very simple "zipper" test program that produces files readable by Mac archive using the same files as PropelleRide. So, it should work at some point.
    edited 2014-03-19 22:32
    I've pushed a fix for the Mac-zip problem.

Working on a PropelleRide installer now.
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
    edited 2014-03-20 03:48
    Windows 7 box.
    The latest clone:
    :-1: error: cannot find -lzlib1
    collect2.exe:-1: error: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Ray
  • pgbpsupgbpsu Posts: 460
    edited 2014-03-20 05:47
    Jazzed, mindrobots-

I tried on a second machine and got the same problems so I set it aside. A day later when I tried a 3rd machine it worked. I thought I was doing everything the same but something about that final installation must have been different. Now I need to go back and figure out what was different and fix the other 1st installation because that's the machine I actually want to use.

Thanks for the help.
    Peter
    edited 2014-03-20 09:12
    Hi Ray (@Rsadeika),

I've pushed a binary zlib1.dll for temporary testing use.

@Cluso99, the instructions are on the main page of easyside.googlecode.com. I can't really add lots of details on how to use Qt.

I'm having trouble making a Windows install package. Hopefully I can resolve it today. Once the package is available, you can test with that.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2014-03-20 17:33
    Thanks Steve.
    As soon as there is a windows install (no hurry) I will give it a workout. I will mainly use it for editting P2 code - I use PropTool for that now - so editing will get a bit of a workout. I understand the auto features will be irrelevant.
    edited 2014-03-20 17:39
    Hi. A Windows package is now available here: PropellerIDE Version 0.1 (about 12MB).

There is still work to do, but I have to stop now and focus on more important items.

Items Left:

* Add multiple spin library path ability.
    * Add click to open Spin files.
    * Add unzip open of Spin files.
    * Include latest FTDI driver if possible.
    * Need a real program icon set.

* Write program documentation. I'd like to see someone on the forum try to write the user-guide.

There are some bugs left to resolve.

* The auto-completer does not work for new files until the IDE restarts. Oddly, SpinSuggest works though.
    * Mac background highlight white-space on some font sizes.
    * Bugs I haven't found yet.
    * Mystery bugs. If you find one, I'll send you a DIP32 Propeller chip and other Propeller related what-nots.
  • FredBlaisFredBlais Posts: 370
    edited 2014-03-20 20:59
    I easily got it to work on Linux Mint. From now, I'm just not too sure on where to get the openspin binary. I tried https://googledrive.com/host/0B0tev9Y3WaL4anpnQkxxMWxZR2M/ but did not found the bz2 files.

easyside.png
    806 x 627 - 122K
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-03-20 21:37
    Fred,

I suggest building openspin from source, it only takes a minute.

Check out the source from github:
    $ git clone  https://github.com/reltham/OpenSpin.git
    $ cd OpenSpin
    $ make

You will probably need to install git first "apt-get install git"
    edited 2014-03-21 03:06
    Windows 7 box.
    I just downloaded the Propeller IDE setup program, problems as follows:
    1. Setup program took a very long time too start, about ~2 minutes, if not longer.
    2. When I ran a Spin test program, the "Verifying Propeller RAM" appeared, and shortly after that "Propeller Load Failed" appeared. That is as far as I could get.

I ran the latest Propeller IDE clone via QT5, just too make sure there was nothing wrong with the hardware, and the same Spin test program ran fine. So, no problems with the hardware, unless the released Propeller IDE version has some kind of enhanced RAM checking capabilities and my RAM is borderline.

Since the PropellerIDE properties has to have the Compiler option filled in, will the PropellerIDE setup package contain openspin.exe for all the OSs it will be used on?

Ray
    edited 2014-03-21 06:34
    I just did an uninstall, a new download, and a new install, it ran much faster this time around, but I still get:
    2. When I ran a Spin test program, the "Verifying Propeller RAM" appeared, and shortly after that "Propeller Load Failed" appeared.
    I also tried three different boards and I still end up with the "Propeller Load Failed" . So, at this point I am not sure if it just my Windows 7 box acting up, or something else is going on. Unfortunately I do not have another Windows box too try this out on.

Ray
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2014-03-21 08:04
    Loaded Version 0.1 on Windows 7, installed and blinking LED-embedded hello world works on a run (from ram) and load (to EEPROM). A possible difference from Rsadeika is that I did use "run as administrator" to install.

John Abshier

PS. The Propeller board was a BOE.
    edited 2014-03-21 08:31
    A possible difference from Rsadeika is that I did use "run as administrator" to install.
    I just did a re-install as an administrator, and I still have the same problem. So, I am not sure what the problem is with my system and the new PropellerIDE install. The boards I tested with - Activity Board, GG PPUSB board, and the DNA-RTC board.

Ray
    edited 2014-03-21 09:28
    Rsadeika wrote: »
    Windows 7 box.
    I just downloaded the Propeller IDE setup program, problems as follows:
    1. Setup program took a very long time too start, about ~2 minutes, if not longer.
    2. When I ran a Spin test program, the "Verifying Propeller RAM" appeared, and shortly after that "Propeller Load Failed" appeared. That is as far as I could get.

I ran the latest Propeller IDE clone via QT5, just too make sure there was nothing wrong with the hardware, and the same Spin test program ran fine. So, no problems with the hardware, unless the released Propeller IDE version has some kind of enhanced RAM checking capabilities and my RAM is borderline.

Since the PropellerIDE properties has to have the Compiler option filled in, will the PropellerIDE setup package contain openspin.exe for all the OSs it will be used on?

Ray

It's beyond me why the latest clone would behave differently from the package. Are you sure your repository is up-to-date?

I doubt that there is anything wrong with your Propeller boards.

I did have to change the loader a little so it would work on my Windows 8 VM. I'll try it on more hardware and see if I can reproduce the problem. Can't do that today though.

Packages for each OS will use OpenSpin built on the OS.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-03-21 10:37
    Testing of Windows Package on Win7 running as VM on Mac OSX under Parallels: Results inconclusive.
    • Installed without problem.
    • Pointed to Library
    • Loaded the PST Demo
    • Beanie worked in identifying the attach QuickStart
    • Build without load worked fine
    • Burn to EEPROM - would generate a Load Error dialogue w/ "Propeller Load Failed" - If you tried this again, it would hang program and you needed to close it to recover.
    • Run appears to work OK but I'm not sure it actually loaded anything.
    • Debug worked once and gave me some program output but then stopped working, subsequent attempts with Debug gave me a blank terminal screen.
    Inconclusive because:
    • Rev A Quickstart which I never recall having had hooked up to the Mac and running though a Parallels VM (unsure of Rev A QuickStart on OSX FTDI drivers going through USB emulation to Win7 or however that works or doesn't work)
    • I tried same tests with Propeller Tool - mixed results when using Prop Tool terminal, puTTY and TerraTerm after an F10 load of same program.
    This is just documenting observations at this time - no firm issues to report.

I will try on a REAL Win7 Machine at first opportunity to set a baseline for my testing.
    edited 2014-03-21 11:06
    I just had an opportunity to use a Windows 7 Home laptop, and installed a fresh PropellerIDE. I tested my DNA-RTC board and got the "Propeller Load Failed", again. The only board that I have not used for this round of testing was a QuickStart board. When using that one it searched for and assigned a new COM Port, and after running my test program, it programmed just fine. Then I decided too test the Burn EEPROM, now that I know QS board works, it started the process but I get a "Propeller Load Failed", for that Burn. I tried another RUN on the QS board, which still worked. So far I am getting hit and miss with this IDE. So, two different machines and I am getting different results.

I am wondering if the loader program got messed up some where along the line for the Windows version? How do you remove a virtual COM Port? Since the com port does not appear in the device manager until you have the board plugged in, maybe that would be temporary fix?

Ray
    edited 2014-03-21 11:10
    How do you remove a virtual COM Port? Since the com port does not appear in the device manager until you have the board plugged in, maybe that would be temporary fix?

Ray

There's a way to do it, every so often, I go in and clean up the ports on my laptop but it's so few and far between that I always forget the steps and end up looking in Google.
    edited 2014-03-21 11:13
    I am wondering if the loader program got messed up some where along the line for the Windows version? How do you remove a virtual COM Port? Since the com port does not appear in the device manager until you have the board plugged in, maybe that would be temporary fix?
    As mentioned above. I had to change the loader to make it work with one of my VMs. I'll look at it again, but I can't today.
    edited 2014-03-21 11:19
    I took my QuickStart board and gave it a try on my Windows 7 box, the PropellerIDE seemed to behave with this board, did a RUN and a Burn EEPROM without any problems. Plugged my other test boards in, and they failed.

Ray
    edited 2014-03-21 11:24
    jazzed wrote: »
    As mentioned above. I had to change the loader to make it work with one of my VMs. I'll look at it again, but I can't today.

Thanks, Steve. We will calmly wait for your solution. I'll go play elsewhere in PropellerLand...or there's always work...... :frown:
    edited 2014-03-21 11:29
    I took my QuickStart board and gave it a try on my Windows 7 box, the PropellerIDE seemed to behave with this board, did a RUN and a Burn EEPROM without any problems. Plugged my other test boards in, and they failed.
    If you can reproduce the problem with the latest repository updated Qt5 build, there are some things you can do for testing.

In PortListener.cpp there is a #define change the loader behavior.
    Look for "#define RESPWAIT 5" and change it to "#define RESPWAIT 2"
    Look for "#undef PORTDEBUG" and change it to "#define PORTDEBUG"

There is also a debug window that can be enabled for Windows in mainwindow.cpp.
    Look for "#undef IDEDEBUG" and change it to "#define IDEDEBUG"

Don't forget to rebuild.

This would help a great deal.

If you can't reproduce it with the latest repository, I could create a few more builds to try, but not today.
  • KMyersKMyers Posts: 433
    edited 2014-03-21 14:58
    Jazzed,

Works good on my Win 7 system. Even compilied my convoluted SHT project.