Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available - Page 19 — Parallax Forums

Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-03-21 17:08
    I just installed it on my WIn7 laptop. Worked fine! I was able to build PropForth and it didn't spew bits all over the floor!! I'll try more on my Mac/Parallels/Win7 setup this weekend.

Silly cosmetic change: In the debug menu, it lists Debug(F8), Build(F9), Run(F10), Burn(F11), Identify(F7)

But across the top the icons are: Ident(F7), Build(F9), Burn(F11), Run(F10), Debug(F8)

Wouldn't it be more intuitive to have them in order by F# in both places?

Also, the button on the far right side, actually toggles the terminal instead of giving any kind of port status.

Other than that, it looks good!

So, you want a user guide, huh? :smile:
  • lmclarenlmclaren Posts: 104
    edited 2014-03-22 04:34
    Thank you again, loving the auto complete.

If you are looking at feature requests (please feel free to ignore), The ability to open multiple edit windows would be good, eg spit vertical and horizontal so that depending on peoples monitors they could open 2 or more files at the same time.

regards

Lee
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-03-22 09:04
    No mystery bug finders yet?
    lmclaren wrote: »
    Thank you again, loving the auto complete.

Glad that's working for you.
    lmclaren wrote: »
    If you are looking at feature requests (please feel free to ignore), The ability to open multiple edit windows would be good, eg spit vertical and horizontal so that depending on peoples monitors they could open 2 or more files at the same time.

While this is possible it would take lots of effort and disruptive changes. It could be done later, but I can't promise anything now.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,261
    edited 2014-03-22 09:23
    Do we have a Mac package yet?
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,629
    edited 2014-03-22 10:57
    I've just committed an update that gives Mac OS X usable key sequences for the Debug menu items. Since Mac OS X likes to use Function keys differently than Windows or Linux, the new commands use Command-Shift variants. (Cmd-Shift-B to Build, Cmd-Shift-R to Run, Cmd-Shift-W to write the eeprom, Cmd-Shift-I to ID prop hardware, Cmd-Shift-D to Debug)

Here's an image of the new menus for Mac OS X:

MacMenuChanges.jpg

Let me know if there are problems with this change.

Thanks,
    dgately
    1024 x 630 - 90K
    edited 2014-03-22 15:29
    Hi.

Please give this package a try for loader issues: ... ugh, never mind. I've been looking at loader stuff all day today. I may not have another chance until Monday night.

Sorry, no Mac package until loader stuff is under control.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,261
    edited 2014-03-22 17:41
    No rush, no worries.
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 9,061
    edited 2014-03-23 04:20
    I'm in St. Louis at Transworld, the biggest trade show in the Halloween industry. Most EFX-TEK products use the Propeller and we encourage "hacking" (this is how we do quick custom work for Disneyland, Legoland, the movie business, etc.). We've been giving mini intros to Spin for programmers all weekend -- several having prop control goals that they cannot accomplish with run-of-the-mill Halloween controllers, or even the Arduino.

I decided to use Propeller IDE as our demo platform so that we could let folks know it has native versions for the other major OSes. So far, no real troubles. Having used Propeller Tool so long there are habits I have to change because they don't work in Propeller IDE -- yet. Just tossing this out for consideration:

-- Press [F12] to bring up terminal window
    -- I often use [Alt] + drag select to select text portions; if the editor code supports that style of selecting, I hope it finds its way into Propeller IDE
    -- I would love to be able to specify a template file that's loaded with the File \ New (set in Properties dialog)
    -- It would be nice if program remembered by Browser button setting and the splitter position
    -- It would be nice if I could specify a favorite folder and have File \ Open start from there
    -- It would be nice to have File \ Open from Library (like Propeller Tool)

One thing I did note: I often download with F10 having a serial.rx line at the top of my program -- that way things won't start until I press a key. This does not seem to work in Propeller IDE; it's as if opening the terminal window always resets the Propeller. I do like having the DTR and RST check buttons on the PST window -- I use these (DTR) to restart a program (I often write product code with test features that look for a key press just after the program starts; if not there, the normal code runs).

On the terminal window... the text seems coarse/rough (visually) compared to the text displayed in the editor window.

I'm really enjoying not having to open an object to find the name and parameters list for methods.

Thanks, guys, for your efforts on Propeller IDE.
    edited 2014-03-23 10:36
    Hi.

A new Windows Package has been uploaded here: PropellerIDE V0.3

One of the concerns Joh had about F10 and the terminal was probably resolved in the V0.2 build (and hence will be in V0.3), but V0.2 was a functional flop for other reasons :<

Please test V0.3 for Identify, Load, Burn, Debug, etc.... If you have trouble repeat the steps and post them here; open the Debug Menu and click the eye, then copy/paste below the steps that caused the problem.

Once the loader issues are resolved, I'll look into some of Jon's "would be nice" requests.

In lieu of F12, please just click the white on green plus next to the console port. F keys are not easy to deal with on Mac and we'll need "yet another concocted key sequence" or YACKS on Mac for F12 emulation.

The terminal text is now set by default to Parallax.ttf (and all the problems that come with it). Before it was set to Parallax2-Bold. The font can be changed with the options button.

I just wanted to mention one more item. These test packages are not meant for general distribution. Please let's test it more before spreading it around too much.
    JonnyMac wrote: »
    I'm in St. Louis at Transworld, the biggest trade show in the Halloween industry. Most EFX-TEK products use the Propeller and we encourage "hacking" (this is how we do quick custom work for Disneyland, Legoland, the movie business, etc.). We've been giving mini intros to Spin for programmers all weekend -- several having prop control goals that they cannot accomplish with run-of-the-mill Halloween controllers, or even the Arduino.

I decided to use Propeller IDE as our demo platform so that we could let folks know it has native versions for the other major OSes. So far, no real troubles. Having used Propeller Tool so long there are habits I have to change because they don't work in Propeller IDE -- yet. Just tossing this out for consideration:

-- Press [F12] to bring up terminal window
    -- I often use [Alt] + drag select to select text portions; if the editor code supports that style of selecting, I hope it finds its way into Propeller IDE
    -- I would love to be able to specify a template file that's loaded with the File \ New (set in Properties dialog)
    -- It would be nice if program remembered by Browser button setting and the splitter position
    -- It would be nice if I could specify a favorite folder and have File \ Open start from there
    -- It would be nice to have File \ Open from Library (like Propeller Tool)

One thing I did note: I often download with F10 having a serial.rx line at the top of my program -- that way things won't start until I press a key. This does not seem to work in Propeller IDE; it's as if opening the terminal window always resets the Propeller. I do like having the DTR and RST check buttons on the PST window -- I use these (DTR) to restart a program (I often write product code with test features that look for a key press just after the program starts; if not there, the normal code runs).

On the terminal window... the text seems coarse/rough (visually) compared to the text displayed in the editor window.

I'm really enjoying not having to open an object to find the name and parameters list for methods.

Thanks, guys, for your efforts on Propeller IDE.
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
    edited 2014-03-23 11:40
    I guess I am still the only one here that is having a problem with the IDE. I just installed v0.3 and now it has problems with my QS board, the same one that worked before. I also just ran the latest hg clone version, that seems to work without a problem with all my boards. So I am not sure whether it is a problem with my system or something else is going on. As an experiment, how would I make a runnable Windows version of PropellerIDE using QT5? I noticed in the QT Creator the "Deploy ezIDE project" is greyed out, so there must be other steps that are needed to be done too get a workable Windows version.

Ray
    edited 2014-03-23 12:18
    OK, installed the new one (v.3) on my Win7 Desktop which has never had OpenSpin, the PropellerIDE testing (w/ QT and such) or a PropellerIDE installed on it before. Sorry for the rambling test story.

Installed fine.
    Pointed to my Spin Library
    Beanie found my Activity Board
    Loaded PST Demo from Propeller Tool Demo file: Build, Load to EEPROM, RUN and DEBUG all worked (loaded something to the Activity Board)
    Debug when it started the terminal displayed garbage (same behavior I saw on my Laptop with the v.1 install) - thought it might be due to funky characters the demo uses.
    Tried PropellerTool with same program - it worked fine and displayed fine with the Propeller Terminal (as expected)

<see attached PropTool PST demo.jpg>

Reloaded same program to EEPROM with PropellerIDE - enabled Propeller Terminal and reset Activity board - it displayed garbage:

<see attached PropIDE PST demo.jpg>

This is what I was seeing with the v.1 package. It appears to be generating bad code or text strings someplace along the processing chain.

After playing back and forth between the two tools and loading and reloading, I received The Propeller Load Failed message after an F11 OK, this would be a nice one to recreate, right?

I can't recreate it because everything I try now gets this message. Sometimes PropellerIDE hangs. I've restarted it several times, I've unplugged my Activity board and plugged it back in several times.
    Underneath the "Load Failed" dialog, there is a "Programming Timeout Error" message. One time, there was a "PropellerIDE Has Stopped Working" message from Windows.

I just uninstalled and reinstalled PropellerIDE - I still get the same Propeller Load Failed message.

Next step is to uninstall, reboot and reinstall.

I'll be back with some Edit updates to this message after that process is complete.

Before Rebooting: I just noticed that now, when PropellerIDE is running, even if it not actively programming the Prop or running the terminal, is has the COM Port assigned somehow and prevents anyone else from using it.
    No other programs can get to it. As soon as I kill Propeller IDE, I can get to the Prop via other programs.

Off to reboot!!

EDIT: Back from my reboot/reinstall

OK, I shutdown and started PC up again - started PropIDE, Activity board shows up on COM19, F11 of PST demo program - "Load Failed"

Next: Uninstall, restart PC, reinstall
    Start PropIDE
    Point to Spin Library
    Open PST Demo program
    F11 - Propeller Load Failed
    switch to QS (never seen by this PC before, so I go through device install and get a new Com port - COM20)
    F11 to COM20 - Propeller Load Failed and PropIDE hangs
    Killed PropIDE

Switched to PropTool, loaded PST Demo program, F11 and it loads fine on QS. Switched to Activity Board, F11 and it worked.

Switched back to PropIDE, F11 and it failed.

I did notice during the last switch, there was a "Propeller IDE has stopped working" message again hidden behind things.

Killed PropIDE once more, started again, F11 to Activity Board and it failed.

Now it seems this PC is no longer able to run PropIDE once some combination of events has occurred.

I can't wipe this PC, so I may be done with Windows testing for PropIDE unless we can figure out what to clear out to fix the problem and move forward. :frown:

Maybe I'll go delete all my COM ports.

By the way, I'm on FTDI driver 2.8.30 dated 7/12/2013 on this system.
    1024 x 730 - 45K
    1024 x 730 - 30K
    edited 2014-03-23 12:33
    Hmm. Ok, cancel V0.3 testing (it has been removed).

Guess I need to go visit the nuclear option. Can't do it today though. Will look at it tonight if I'm not exhausted by non-propeller activities.

Ray, the list of files you need can be found in EzIDE.iss ...
    Add them to your release output folder (referred to as {app} below).
    That's all I can tell you today.

#define MyQtPath "C:\Qt\Qt5.2.1"
    // C:\Qt\Qt5.2.1\5.2.1\mingw48_32\bin
    Source: "{#MyQtPath}\5.2.1\mingw48_32\bin\icuin51.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion
    Source: "{#MyQtPath}\5.2.1\mingw48_32\bin\icuuc51.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion
    Source: "{#MyQtPath}\5.2.1\mingw48_32\bin\icudt51.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion
    Source: "{#MyQtPath}\5.2.1\mingw48_32\bin\libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion
    Source: "{#MyQtPath}\5.2.1\mingw48_32\bin\libstdc++-6.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion
    Source: "{#MyQtPath}\5.2.1\mingw48_32\bin\libwinpthread-1.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion
    Source: "zlib1.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion // zlib1.dll is in the easyside/ide folder.
    Source: "{#MyQtPath}\5.2.1\mingw48_32\bin\Qt5Core.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion
    Source: "{#MyQtPath}\5.2.1\mingw48_32\bin\Qt5Gui.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion
    Source: "{#MyQtPath}\5.2.1\mingw48_32\bin\Qt5Widgets.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion
    Source: "{#MyQtPath}\5.2.1\mingw48_32\plugins\platforms\qwindows.dll"; DestDir: "{app}\platforms"; Flags: ignoreversion
    edited 2014-03-23 17:11
    I went back to my laptop to test with v.3 but since the test have been cancelled, I won't go into the really weird behavior I'm seeing on my laptop with 2 completely different boards.

Standing down until further notice!
  • heichheich Posts: 26
    edited 2014-03-24 19:01
    jazzed wrote: »
    Here are some recent pictures of the IDE. We still need a program icon .... Any volunteers?

Hey Jazzed!!

How about something like this?:

g3066_200.png

It's a simple union between the beanie logo and keyhole on the open source initiative logo

http://opensource.org/

The beanie logo was vectorized from the Parallax Hat Decal page, so, it's in poor svg quality. (I wish I could have a SVG Version). So, for now it's difficult to make a 32x32 ico version.
    http://www.parallax.com/product/125-00005

I dont know if my image violates copy rights does it?
    201 x 162 - 17K
    edited 2014-03-24 20:01
    I noticed that on V0.3 the minimize and maximize window buttons are missing.
    edited 2014-03-27 14:36
    Ok folks.

Here's a package with the "tactical nuclear loader option" PropellerIDE V0.4

Please focus on testing all propeller communications F7,F8,F10,F11 (PropHat, Run with Terminal, Load RAM and Run, Load EEPROM and Run).

The Minimize/Maximize buttons are not available with the special IDE debugger window. The debugger has been disabled.
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2014-03-27 15:20
    Old (.1) version uninstalled OK. New version (0.4) installed OK. Identify hardware opens up a dialog box that closes, rather quickly (1 Sec?), on its on. If it is going to close on its own, I would leave it up a little longer. It would be nice to have a browse library menu choice for those of us who don't remember if it is "SimpelSerial", "Simple Serial" or "Simple_Serial" Exiting the program does not ask if you want to save changed files.

John Abshier

PS. A link under help to the Propeller manual is very handy for new/occasional programmers.
  • RoadsterRoadster Posts: 209
    edited 2014-03-27 17:56
    I have tried version 0.4, I'm using window 7 32 bit and the loader doesn't work consistently it fails most of the time and when it loads its very slow.
    I should note that I use vmware but the propeller tool never has any problems loading on the same virtual machine, I will try some tests on a real machine this weekend.

The terminal program doesn't seem to send carriage return when you hit the enter key
    edited 2014-03-27 20:18
    Roadster wrote: »
    I have tried version 0.4, I'm using window 7 32 bit and the loader doesn't work consistently it fails most of the time and when it loads its very slow.
    I should note that I use vmware but the propeller tool never has any problems loading on the same virtual machine, I will try some tests on a real machine this weekend.

Ok. Can you try the attached .zip and the program Loader.exe to load your .binary program? Loader.exe is a small GUI program - just double-click it. There is also a test.binary in the package. It is a key data-point to find out if the loader works for you and everyone else for that matter. The Loader.exe simply runs the propeller-load.exe program which is known to be very reliable.

It would also be useful to know your CPU speed and number of cores.

The terminal program doesn't seem to send carriage return when you hit the enter key

Will look into that. There are two different definitions depending on the platform, and I thought that was handled. What object are you using?

Thanks.
    --Steve
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
    edited 2014-03-28 03:31
    Windows 7 machine.
    I just downloaded and installed IDE .0.4 and it seems to be running as expected, it works. I also used F7,F8,F10,F11, which I normally do not use, and they seemed to be working as expected. I tried out the boards that were previously showing problems, those seemed to be working as expected. So far it looks like it is working on my setup, good work jazzed.

Ray
  • RoadsterRoadster Posts: 209
    edited 2014-03-28 06:34
    Ok. Can you try the attached .zip and the program Loader.exe to load your .binary program? Loader.exe is a small GUI program - just double-click it. There is also a test.binary in the package. It is a key data-point to find out if the loader works for you and everyone else for that matter. The Loader.exe simply runs the propeller-load.exe program which is known to be very reliable.
    I will try the other loader tonight
    It would also be useful to know your CPU speed and number of cores.
    Intel i7-3520M 2.90Ghz with 4 cores
    Will look into that. There are two different definitions depending on the platform, and I thought that was handled. What object are you using?
    I'm trying to run the "Parallax Serial Terminal Demo", I get the prompt in the terminal (Enter a decimal value) but when I enter a value and hit enter the terminal goes to the next line but I get no response back from the propeller chip, which leads me to believe that the propeller never receives the carriage return, this demo works find with the Parallax serial Terminal program.

I should note that I have QT 5.1 installed and I'm able to make builds from the source code
    edited 2014-03-28 07:52
    Ray, thanks for letting me know your boards work with version 0.4.

Rick (@mindrobots) can you test version 0.4?

I will try the other loader tonight
    Thanks. The reason it's important to do this is because I'm using exactly the same code as the propeller-load.exe program for loading. There are two possible outcomes. I.E. the Loader GUI running propeller-load.exe will 1) fail or 2) work. If it fails, then we need to look at propeller-load.exe again. If it works, well, I guess I'll give up on integrating the loader in the GUI.

Does the Propeller Beanie (F7 Identify Hardware) always work for you?

Building from source right now will probably have the same troubles that version 0.2 and 0.3 had (although they work on my virtual machines). Version 0.1 failed on my windows virtual machines (Linux Mint32, Ubuntu 13, XP and Win8.1) but worked fine on my Windows 7 host.

Thanks.
    edited 2014-03-28 08:01
    Rick (@mindrobots) can you test version 0.4?

Yes, I can load it onto the Win7 PC that version .3 BROKE!! :lol:

Should have results in an hour or two.

EDIT: UPDATE!!

I uninstalled 0.3 and installed 0.4.
    Pointed to my libraries and loaded the PST demo program. It compiled and loaded without problem. I had teh same issues with teh built in terminal NOT sending a CR when you press enter, so there is really no way to talk to an application with this terminal. I did get the first screen of output.

All the assorted F keys did their proepr thing with my Activity board (same one that failed repeatedly with 0.3)

Did F11 and connected it to TeraTerm - got garbage on the screen (PST Control characaters?) but I was able to interact.

Loaded ProForth (sorry to mention it by name) - it compiled and loaded with all the F keys and talked fine to Tera Term (had same problem with enter key using the built in terminal)

Tried it with the QuickStart that failed repeatedly with 0.3 - iot worked fine.

It looks 200% better.

It also handled the Beanie well, reported unable to find Prop when the Prop was attached to a terminal program, noticed Prop boards being atached and unattached.

It DID NOT leave my PC unusable as a Prop development PC like 0.3 did! :lol:

The only annoying thing with this test is the enter problem with the debug terminal.

YAY, Steve!!
  • KMyersKMyers Posts: 433
    edited 2014-03-28 09:15
    Same issues here with the beanie! Would it be possible for the message to stay on until I close it? The text is too small foe my old eyes to focus on that quick! I know about the make text bigger option but it dont carry over for the beanie. I will play more in a bit. Didnt yet try to program.

BTW I uninstalled the old installed the new with no problems on my win7.
    edited 2014-03-28 09:30
    Sounds like some progress here.

Rick, can I bother you (when you have time) to run the posted Loader program on your PC?
    That should work perfectly - if not, then propeller-load needs some attention.

Ken, I'll make the beanie result an OK box.
    edited 2014-03-28 09:39
    Very low priority thing: Syntax highlighting not applied to method name unless method has parameter(s) -- seems to be looking for opening parenthesis.
  • KMyersKMyers Posts: 433
    edited 2014-03-28 09:53
    Thanks Jazzed, no big rush on this!!!
    edited 2014-03-28 10:31
    Rick, can I bother you (when you have time) to run the posted Loader program on your PC?
    That should work perfectly - if not, then propeller-load needs some attention.

Worked like a champ!

I burned and loaded your test binary to my QuickStart, switched boards then burned and loaded it to my Activity board. No problems.

The I took a BIG binary (program to go unnamed) and burned and loaded it to my Activity board. Started up Tera Term and saw a familiar prompt!

Attempt to load to a Prop that is connected to a terminal gives a nice littel dialogue about not being able to find a port with a propeller chip.

Appears to work without problems. It's nice being able to create binaries and just load those instead of having to start up IDE, compile and load. (At least for some users of interactive development platforms that get loaded to the Propeller.)
    edited 2014-03-28 10:54
    mindrobots wrote: »
    It's nice being able to create binaries and just load those instead of having to start up IDE, compile and load. (At least for some users of interactive development platforms that get loaded to the Propeller.)
    See, I told you I could make an IDE just for your favorite language ;-) Made it last year actually.

Ok, this settles it (mostly). I have to go back to using an external loader. The code is exactly the same as in the propeller load program, but the Qt environment is getting in the way of the strict propeller loader timing requirements. There is an alternative ... but it involves another program also. Fortunately the beanie still works. Unfortunately, we will need a delay before printing anything to the console.

Jon, Being able to highlight a method that doesn't have an open paren is pretty hard to do relatively speaking. We may have to live with it for a while.
    edited 2014-03-28 11:03
    Does anyone feel strongly about keeping the grey line-number bar?

How about a green one?
    676 x 564 - 55K
    680 x 561 - 63K