Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available - Page 29 — Parallax Forums

Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available

1232425262729»

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-09-17 15:44
    You must have qt libraries installed and qmake must be in your path. The plinrelease.sh script mentions this. You will also need openspin.

Please read https://code.google.com/p/easyside/
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2014-09-17 16:29
    jazzed wrote: »
    You must have qt libraries installed and qmake must be in your path. The plinrelease.sh script mentions this. You will also need openspin.

Please read https://code.google.com/p/easyside/

I installed Qtlib, open spin, Etc as I did all the things (commands) as listed by You on page42 of this thread up to plinrelease.sh,
    So then I assume that Qmake is not in my path, so how do I get it there?

Is there anything else I should have done besides what I said and what You listed there?

Or rather, can you say exactly everything to do with a new Pi to get PropellerIDE running?
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2014-09-17 19:31
    Apparently libqt4-dev is failing to install because of 404 errors.

After guessing to try apt-get update, ilibqt4-dev successfully installed...
    ./plinrelease.sh got past Qmake. Now "having lunch"...

Ok. Got through the rest of the commands given by Jazzed.
    An error in dpkg, not sure what effect it had.
    I type propelleride,
    error- cannot access x server... So I type startx, I go into its terminal and type propelleride,
    And I see the nice colored welcome.spin in a window. It says to save it in a user folder, and gives Desktop
    as an option, and I click save.

Soon I will try programming a prop with a prop plug. I have a USB available on Pi,
    because the keyboard has a mousepad. I will also try the GPIO eventually. Maybe that
    option was included in the update loader command, but I don't know. It's somewhere.

Well, that's how I got here...

Got NOOBS on 8GB SD, by downloading it and copying its files to 8GB SD.
    Didn't need to special format SD because it was new.
    Put SD in Pi and booted it.
    Chose raspbian OS.
    Typed pi and raspberry as user and password.
    Typed sudo passwd root, then typed mypassword twice, then su.
    Typed apt-get update.
    Typed all the commands given by Jazzed on page 42 of this thread.
    Typed startx, went to terminal, typed propelleride, saw the spin window.

Hope that helps others, and thanks to Jazzed.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-09-17 21:41
    Great. :)

Most errors in dpkg output are not really errors. The wording is very poorly chosen.

They are pointing out that you need to resolve missing dependencies. That's what "apt-get install -f" does.

As mentioned before:
    Do the command $ apt-get install -f

This allows linux to resolve dependencies for us!

BTW, I've found that RPi performance is much better if you use VNC instead of starting the window manager with startx.

Since I have a "real computer", my RPi is connected to my router in another room, and it runs vncserver. I use the UltraVNC Viewer client in 64 color mode (256 colors is OK). The resulting window system is quite snappy. Now if there was only a better SSD system than SDHC for RPi, I'd not have any I'll will at all toward it :)
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-09-18 00:01
    VIRAND,
    I will also try the GPIO eventually. Maybe that option was included in the update loader command, but I don't know. It's somewhere.
    Please try pi-propeller-load from here: https://github.com/ZiCog/pi-propeller-load

That is basically the loader from propgcc with added capability to work over a Raspi UART using a GPIO pin for Propeller reset.
  • PaulPaul Posts: 263
    edited 2014-10-03 08:30
    RE:
    PropellerIDE Version 0.19
    Copyright (c) 2014 by Parallax, Inc.
    Windows XP (yeah, I know.)

Some random thoughts....
    • 1. The numbers inside of quotes are getting highlighted as regular numbers and not "text". Looking at older screen shots this was working at one point. example: DAT PROG byte "PGM-0041-19-2110EL-R1.04",13,0
    • 2. After "build" compiling the only indication is "Program size is 1888 bytes" at the bottom. I guess I was expecting fireworks or the flashing word "SUCCESS" or something. Subtleness is lost on some of us.
    • 3. F8 is not the same as the "build" icon? It tries to load a prop like F10 or F11. This was a surprise and I'll admit that this may be just my assumption that the F-keys would be the same as the Propeller Tool. No reason they have to be.

Any chance on getting the Propeller Manual link put in the Help?

Over all I'm very happy with the new IDE. Keep up the good work.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2014-11-02 12:30
    Hi! I got as far as post 839 in this thread:

Ran "apt-get install -f"

and received no error messages.

But I do not see any icon in the menu to launch Propeller IDE.

So, how do we launch Propeller IDE?

(No, I did not read the entire thread)
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2014-11-02 13:22
    Type propelleride and hit enter.
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,621
    edited 2014-11-02 13:24
    Hi! I got as far as post 839 in this thread:

Ran "apt-get install -f"

and received no error messages.

But I do not see any icon in the menu to launch Propeller IDE.

So, how do we launch Propeller IDE?

(No, I did not read the entire thread)

Prof,

Did you go through all of post #826? If so, look at post #844...

In a nutshell, VIRAND said:
    [COLOR=#333333]Got NOOBS on 8GB SD, by downloading it and copying its files to 8GB SD. [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333]Didn't need to special format SD because it was new.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333]Put SD in Pi and booted it.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333]Chose raspbian OS.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333]Typed pi and raspberry as user and password.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333]Typed sudo passwd root, then typed mypassword twice, then su.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333]Typed apt-get update.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333]Typed all the commands given by Jazzed on page 42 of this thread.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333]Typed startx, went to terminal, typed propelleride, saw the spin window.[/COLOR]

I hope that helps!
    dgately
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2014-11-02 13:48
    I figgered it out on my lonesome. Thanks anyway! I also distilled the correct instructions (maybe) out ot the 850 preceding posts, and zillions of external links. Its actually totally easy once all the instructions are in one place, and in the correct order. It took me all afternoon to chase through it, but it should take the next guy about 15 minutes.

http://code.google.com/p/propforth/wiki/PropellerIDE

CAUTION! The instructions above make you load propforth onto your board to test that the PropellerIDE works. STOP before that step or risk enjoying propforth!

If anytbody finds mistakes let me know, I'll fix 'em. No, the proforth stuff is not a mistake, I don't want to trim those steps off.

Also, I'm not using raspberry pi at this point, I did it on a virtual box Linux install on the PC. I'll try RPi if I can unbury one, I know they are around here someplace.
  • edited 2014-11-02 18:35
    I figgered it out on my lonesome. Thanks anyway! I also distilled the correct instructions (maybe) out ot the 850 preceding posts, and zillions of external links. Its actually totally easy once all the instructions are in one place, and in the correct order. It took me all afternoon to chase through it, but it should take the next guy about 15 minutes.

Maybe I'll just stick with the Parallax Propeller Tool for this lifetime.

Sandy