Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller II update - BLOG - Page 36 — Parallax Forums

Propeller II update - BLOG

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2012-03-06 22:32
    jmg,

See the LPC1111 data sheet. It'll be a month or two before they are available, I have a couple of them in QFN.
  • CircuitsoftCircuitsoft Posts: 1,166
    edited 2012-03-06 22:52
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    I think there is a typo with those instructions in that pdf.

Here's my understanding of how they work. For DECOD5 if the register passed in contained a value A between 0 and 31, then it would write back into that register a value with the A bit set and the other bits 0. For DECOD4 if the register passed in contained a value A between 0 and 15, then it would write back into that register a value with the lower 16bits having bit A set and the upper 16bits having bit A set (all other bits 0). And so on for the rest with more repeats as the size of the "field" shrinks.
    So, "x := 1<<x"?
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2012-03-06 23:45
    Parallax is looking at having a test chip in hand within 4 months. Chip also said that if (and that is a big if, as there are an incredible number of details that have to be accounted for) everything goes smoothly, chips can be in your hands in 6 - 9 months from now.

Fingers crossed, we may get a nice Christmas present?
    :-)
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2012-03-07 00:14
    Hi ALL.

This PDF don't say anything - Mostly only what instructions we will have in assembly (Some very bad described to) .
    As jmg pointed in other threads it leaks much of important info on some Hardware solutions and even some instructions functions.

As I pointed many times and even jmg point in theirs threads --- Some things are simply waste of silicon.
    And degrade possibility's what will be possible on PropII.

Even if I see some nice solutions -- Total words on it --- Are not so good.

Sorry Parallax --- It was possible to be better -- But if any look only on single peoples NEED's not at How much people need find it usable -- It will always be bad directions taken.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2012-03-07 01:12
    Well I have read the docs. I basically concur with Sapieha's comments. I was expecting a lot more info. Really, it is nothing more than a brief instruction set summary, and for that you have to know the Prop 1 instructions. I guess it is really an end of year availability at best - yeah 6 mths is October but it will be Xmas at least.

So, having that off my chest, there is plenty of time for the info to be detailed better.

I found the external ram access interesting... 5ns cycle time, 16bit.

I could not work out how the quadlong cache works - actually how does it fill ?

I am extremely disappointed that there appears to be no silicon to permit those fantastic registers to be used to clock anyting into them. What a waste for a tiny piece of silicon. Please tell me I am wrong???

I note that we cannot set the carry on a hub read. I don't think that matters because we can still set the zero flag.

Does TJZ/TJNZ(D) set the Z flag (WZ)? Same for IJZ/IJNZ(D) & DJZ/DJNZ(D) ?

Table 16 OFFP mneumonic? Does this toggle the DIR for the Pin? OFF seems wrong for TOGGLE ?

Table 18 SETSER How are the pins set with only 0-63 ?

Table 19 SETMAP How does register mapping work ?

errata:
    Table 5 COGINIT, etc missing the word "access" in operation
    Table 14 INDA & INDB word "my" should be "by" in operation
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,155
    edited 2012-03-07 02:39
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    I am extremely disappointed that there appears to be no silicon to permit those fantastic registers to be used to clock anyting into them. What a waste for a tiny piece of silicon. Please tell me I am wrong???

That's how I read it too, A highly custom Prop-prop serial support, even with special opcodes, but no Standard SPI, and no QuadSPI.
    There are a LOT more QuadSPI devices out there, than Prop II's !!
    QuadSPI would allow execute in place at much higher speeds. Cost is a handful of gates/ff. Opcodes & SFR are there already.\
    I'm frankly stunned they missed this.
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Table 18 SETSER How are the pins set with only 0-63 ?

My take here, is they are in groups of 3 or 4, and so that number will be a Pin-Group, likely x4 to select actual base-pin.

The pin-map is highly flexible; why not take the same care with the shifter engine itself ?
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2012-03-07 06:48
    There's been some nice enhancements to the single-cycle multiplier since the last version of the spec. It's been increased from 16 bits to 24 bits, and there're instructions to normalize the product. This should make floating point operations execute much faster.

Is there a way to diff two PDF files? It would be helpful to know exectly what has changed since the last version was posted.
  • BigFootBigFoot Posts: 259
    edited 2012-03-07 08:08
    Leon wrote: »
    Not true! Microchip has the 32-bit PIC32 in 0.3" DIP28, and NXP has ARM Cortex-M0 chips in 0.6" DIP24.

I couldn't resist posting this again, it is the new Parallax 128 pin dip package and special socket.128pDip.bmp
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2012-03-07 08:10
    I think the Prop 2 sounds fantastic! I'm not sure what the quibbling over SPI is about - SRAM transfer will be enormously faster than any QuadSPI. Same folks who think the design has been compromised by catering to just a few users are those who want Chip to cater to them, seems to me.

Can't wait to have a Prop2 proto board!!!
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2012-03-07 08:35
    Just for completeness, here is another thread discussing the Propeller 2 chip to chip communication:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?138458-Prop-II-question-Serial-Chip-To-Chip-Communication&p=1080219
  • turbosupraturbosupra Posts: 1,088
    edited 2012-03-07 09:18
    Is my math right?

System clock roll over is once every ~2900 years? :)
    The system counter counts the number of clock ticks since power up – it is a 64-bit counter,
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2012-03-07 09:37
    Boot device information appears to be missing from the spec. As I recall it will be a SPI device interface.

I asked Chip if he could arrange it so that we could use a QuadSPI device without having to disassemble/reassemble nibbles - see below.

Assuming CS is highest pin number under the serial port pins and CLK is next highest, you get a configuration something like this which leaves 80 P2 pins available for generic usage.
    P(n) = CS
    P(n-1) = CLK
    P(n-2) = SI or IO0
    P(n-3) = SO or IO1
    P(n-4) = WP or IO2
    P(n-5) = HOLD or IO3
    P(n-6) = SI or IO0*
    P(n-7) = SO or IO1*
    P(n-8) = WP or IO2*
    P(n-9) = HOLD or IO3*

Note*: use with 2nd QuadSPI chip for a byte-wide interface. CS/CLK shared with 1st and 2nd QuadSPI chip.

User Name wrote:
    SRAM transfer will be enormously faster than any QuadSPI.
    This is only correct for a small number of bytes at a time on typical asynchronous SRAM. For more than say 8 bytes at a time synchronous device like QuadSPI or SDRAM (more than 8 bytes at a time) will perform better with the P2 design. On P1, synchronous devices perform better than stock SRAM reads when using QuadSPI pins (other conveniences like more pins available and maintaining normal serial port usage are not sacrificed). The same advantages could be enjoyed by connecting 74*161s with an asynchronous SRAM, but then you start having even bigger real-estate issues.

P2 development is going to be a blast!
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-03-07 09:49
    you get a configuration something like this which leaves 80 P2 pins available for generic usage.

Figures....I need 81 pins! Here we go again!!
    edited 2012-03-07 10:13
    Is there going to be an non SMD layout, say a 128 pin DIP layout for those of us that like breadboards?
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-03-07 10:24
    trubosupra,

See posts beginning at #1026 where the question was asked and answered.

-Phil
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2012-03-07 10:27
    I did a side-by-side comparison of the V1.3 document with the V2.0 document, and I compiled a list of chnages. The clock rate was increased from 160 MHz to 200 MHz while maintaining the same number of instruction pipeline delays. The size of the color lookup table was increased from 128 longs to 256 longs. The hub RAM was decreased slightly from 128K to 126K. The single-cycle multiplier was increased from 16 bits to 24 bits, and normalization instructions were added. There are now 2 64-bit accumulators used with the multiply-accumulate instructions.

A cached read-quad instruction was added. An instruction that gives the number of clock ticks since the last time it was used was also added. A summary of the changes in the instructions is given below.
    V1.3                                  V2.0
    Instruction     Change                Instruction
    -----------     ------                -----------
                    added                 RDQUADC
    POPUPA          renamed to            POPAR
    POPUPB          renamed to            POPBR
    PUSHDNA         renamed to            PUSHAR
    PUSHDNB         renamed to            PUSHBR
    GETCORX         renamed to            GETQX
    GETCORY         renamed to            GETQY
    GETCORZ         renamed to            GETQZ
    SETCORX         replaced by           SETQM
    SETCORY         replaced by           SETQI
    SETCORZ         renamed to            SETQZ
    CORDROT         renamed to            QROTATE
    CORDATN         renamed to            QARCTAN
    CORDEXP         renamed to            QEXP
    CORDLOG         renamed to            QLOG
                    added                 QSINCOS
                    added                 SUBCNT
    MAC             replaced by           MACA, MACB
    MULS            removed
    CLRAACC         replaced by           CLRACCA, CLRACCB, CLRACCS
    GETACC          replaced by           GETACCA, GETACCB
                    added                 FITACCA, FITACCB, FITACCS
    DECODE2         swapped opcodes with  DECODE5
    DECODE3         swapped opcodes with  DECODE4
    DECODE4         swapped opcodes with  DECODE3
    DECODE5         swapped opcodes with  DECODE2
    SWAPZC          removed
    REP             replaced by           REPD
                    added                 SETSKIP
    SETVIDM         removed

• Bobb FwedBobb Fwed Posts: 1,119
    edited 2012-03-07 13:42
    turbosupra wrote: »
    Is my math right?

System clock roll over is once every ~2900 years? :)
    A little off. It's actually 2922 years,.266 days, 9 hours, 52 minutes, and 49 seconds
    This is not accounting for leap seconds but does include skipped leap years.
    That could be off by as much as 32 days using a 30ppm crystal.
    edited 2012-03-07 14:38
    I just had a quick look at the new spec. Automatic PWM generation by the counters is mentioned, will that include deadband?
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-03-07 14:40
    Cluso99 wrote:
    jmg wrote:
    That's how I read it too, ... [yada yada yada] ... I'm frankly stunned they missed this.
    I think it's highly premature to critique the Prop II's design based solely on the brief summary info we've been given. And, if even you're right, it's probably too late to make any substantive changes anyway. Based on our experience with the Prop I, the Prop II is certain to have some hidden jewels that we will all have fun discovering, exploiting, and repurposing (i.e. abusing) to great benefit. The design is in good hands. We just need to wait for more to be revealed. I, for one, am anxious to find out more about the Prop II's new counter modes.

-Phil
    edited 2012-03-07 15:03
    I just had a quick look at the new spec. Automatic PWM generation by the counters is mentioned, will that include deadband?

One hopes :)
    edited 2012-03-07 15:08
    I think it's highly premature to critique the Prop II's design based solely on the brief summary info we've been given. And, if even you're right, it's probably too late to make any substantive changes anyway.

These are not what I'd call "substantive changes" - I could have done this in HDL, in less time than we have spent discussing it.

If someone from the design team wants to clarify just what the Silicon WILL do, around hardware support for Serial Input, and industry Standard SPI and QuadSPI support, that would, of course, be great.
  • pedwardpedward Posts: 1,642
    edited 2012-03-07 15:13
    It doesn't have SPI in the silicon, just like the Prop 1 doesn't have I2C in silicon. The whole notion of the prop is to give you the tools in a robust instruction set to be able to do what you want. The P2P serial is described in the instruction set for what is known now. All that you can say is that it transfers 1 long per instruction call, the clock rate is unknown, etc.

What's with the 20 questions trying to pin it down on preliminary info? How many companies post this kind of data before the silicon is done? Chip is pretty firm on the design, but is known to change things last minute.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,352
    edited 2012-03-07 17:04

You might want to explain that request a little more. I doubt automatic PWM generation means anything like profile following. I think that's just the proportional toggling hardware. Deadband generation is no biggie to throw into your own code when you are already performing the servo code or whatever.
    edited 2012-03-07 17:25
    evanh wrote: »
    Deadband generation is no biggie to throw into your own code when you are already performing the servo code or whatever.

That depends very much on the underlyng hardware.

You need deadband on BOTH edges, and vanilla/generic (sawtooth) PWM only allows code-fix on the moving edge, all flyback edges are the same.

So, some companies build triangle counters, and allow True/False and with that HW, you can control symmetric dead band in SW.

Smarter HW still, allows asymmetric deadband, and fast current sense inputs, to quickly remove PWM drive on a fault.

Also common on 'better' controller chips (say > $5) is fractional time control on PWM - 1ns, or even 150ps.
  • pedwardpedward Posts: 1,642
    edited 2012-03-07 17:53
    For motor control, software generated PWM is doable even on the Prop 1, you don't need counters to make it happen. This is how I will probably do my stepper driver, so I can drive more than 1 motor per COG.
    edited 2012-03-07 18:51
    I meant this sort of thing:
    In Half-Bridge mode, a digitally programmable deadband
    delay is available to avoid shoot-through current
    from destroying the bridge power switches. The delay
    occurs at the signal transition from the non-active state
    to the active state.

which is available on little low-cost PICs.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2012-03-07 19:03
    Phil & all:
    I am certain there will be many jewels in the P2's counters. Heck, we have not even touched the surface of what the P1's counters are capable, partly due to the lack of detailed information.

Yes, there is info on the P1 counters, but not enough. I would like to see a much more detailed block diagram. I believe the video counters have many untouched uses as well as the counters. I have noted the uses in the sd (SPI) drivers such as fsrw2.6 and kye's. I know we can use the vga for outputting serial data but have not had sufficient time to test this theory.

I am just disappointed that the lack of a simple controllable gate and line to input to the counters/video seems to be missing. This is such a simple thing and would permit these complex counters/video to be used in all kinds of ways in reverse (as in clocking the data in rather than out). Perhaps I am oversimplifying, but IMHO this would have far more use in any P2 design (for use as serial in modes) than any of the complex functions of these counters/video provide. Enough said.

As I have said many times before, Parallax really needs to push the P1 & P2 as chips with all kinds of soft configurable I/O blocks. Almost every time we get a new experienced user here, they complain about no basic standard peripherals like UARTS, I2C and SPI. We have to go to great lengths to explain how this is done simply using already written objects. I just keep wondering how many engineers have seen the specs, noted no peripherals, and moved on. As all of us experienced P1 users know, this is the biggest benefit of the prop. I never have to go searching for a AVR/PIC/etc chip with a specific set of peripherals, and then wait for it to arrive. I just pull one of my trusty 1" prebuilt modules and I am away with a new design. I know that it can almost have any peripheral set (within reason) that I may desire. We really have to sell this feature prominently, not hidden, in the datasheet.

Anyway, P2 is still some time off, so I will watch and wait, while I continue on my P1 designs. There is way too much to do with the P1 anyway ;)
  • KyeKye Posts: 2,200
    edited 2012-03-07 19:18
    Nah, its the lack of a software library that addresses all common usages scenarios.
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2012-03-07 19:32
    which is available on little low-cost PICs.

And also on low cost TI msp430's
    But most of the time you have a few motors to control, so dedicate a cog to handle it in software is no big deal.
    7701.forum.JPG
    edited 2012-03-07 19:38
    Thanks Bobb. I put the ~ or circa/around because I was too lazy to account for the leap years/seconds

If only the prop1 could have a 64 bit counter!

Bobb Fwed wrote: »
    A little off. It's actually 2922 years,.266 days, 9 hours, 52 minutes, and 49 seconds
    This is not accounting for leap seconds but does include skipped leap years.
    That could be off by as much as 32 days using a 30ppm crystal.