Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ARLISS Team NH - Page 37 — Parallax Forums

ARLISS Team NH

Comments

• Mark KiblerMark Kibler Posts: 546
    edited 2011-02-01 18:40
    Dylan,

"Seek, and you will find..." I'm not sure which book you were using since I was back and forth between all three groups. Take the initiative. Think back to Sunday, reconstruct in your mind which book(s) you were using (and try to recall the page number), then contact your teammate(s) if you need to. Between them you have both books ("Microcontroller" and "Robots".) Use your resources. Between you and your teammates, you'll find the answer... and the program! Please post it when you find it.

The moral of the story is: back up everything you do on a flash drive so you have it when you need it.

Here ends the lesson,

Mr. Kibler
    :cool:
  • Dylan LandryDylan Landry Posts: 235
    edited 2011-02-02 17:45
    The only item I have pertaining to the book is the scanned image of the graph on page 81, chapter two, "Your Boe-Bot's Servo Motors". The program is only a few pages before that one. On the team blue mission the pages you adressed us were from page 74 to the graph, so it must be located between those two pages.
    edited 2011-02-02 17:59
    "...on the team blue mission, the pages you addressed were from page 74 to the graph, so it must be located between those two pages.

Dylan,

That seems like a logical place to look then. Who on your team could you ask for help? Find the strengths of your indivudal team members-- everyone has strengths-- and use those strengths to get the task done. It's not so hard, really, and I'd like to get the homework assignment out to everyone sooner rather than later. Obi? Andrew? Emily?

Mr. Kibler
  • Obie WanObie Wan Posts: 46
    edited 2011-02-03 12:55
    Dylan,
    Do you have any part of the program because I remember part of it. Probably more like the end of it but here's what I remember.
    ' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

(Andrew wrote some sort of delay here) 9900
    PULSOUT 13, 850
    PULSOUT 14, 650

I'm not sure how much that helps but there it is. I've looked over the like that Emily posted, great find by the way, and the concept they are preposing is very interesting. It sounds like a nice alternative to the GPS program Andrew is designing. I don't know if we want to countinue with the GPS or try Tohoku University's suggested method. Well that's all right now. Hope I helped.
    Obie
    edited 2011-02-03 15:32
    [Obie Wan;973613]

Dylan,

... here's what I remember:

' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

PULSOUT 13, 850
    PULSOUT 12, 650

Obie,

Good start! Everyone, please look on page 84 in the "Robotics with the Boe-Bot" book and you'll find the program below.

ASSIGNMENT FOR EVERYONE:

1) Paste Obie's program lines (above) with the program lines below-- IN THE CORRECT ORDER-- and you will reconstruct the program.

Add these program lines DIRECTLY BELOW '{$PBASIC 2.5}:

DEBUG "ASP-BOT Program Running"

counter VAR Byte

FOR counter = 1 TO 122

Add these program lines DIRECTLY AFTER PULSOUT 12, 650

PAUSE 20

NEXT

END

Compile the program code lines and post your program here to the forum. I would like everyone to complete the assignment so we can all compare our results. It should be posted before bedtime on Friday. Then I will give you the next assignment (which is really a cool little contest! but it requires that you complete this assignment first...)

"Interest, Initiative, Aptitude, Attitude, Leadership, Service to Others, 100% Commitment". Who will complete the assignments and who won't?

Mr. Kibler
  • Andrew (ARLISS)Andrew (ARLISS) Posts: 213
    edited 2011-02-03 17:24
    Obie,

Good start! Everyone, please look on page 84 in the "Robotics with the Boe-Bot" book and you'll find the program below.

ASSIGNMENT FOR EVERYONE:

1) Paste Obie's program lines (above) with the program lines below-- IN THE CORRECT ORDER-- and you will reconstruct the program.
    Project team,

Using the code Mr. Kibler has posted, here is my result:
    ' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

counter VAR Byte

FOR counter = 1 TO 122

PULSOUT 13, 850
    PULSOUT 14, 650

PAUSE 20

NEXT

END

Theoretically, since each "PULSOUT" should last for 20ms, the motors should spin for 2.44 seconds, since 122 (the current counter value) * 20ms = 2440ms = 2.44 seconds. However, just remember for a significantly larger number, the counter should be set to a "Word" and not a "Byte." Does anyone else know the reasoning behind this?

-- Andrew
    edited 2011-02-03 17:33
    Good work Andrew ~ ! Who will be next...?

ROCKETEERS,

Don't just copy Andrew's program. He could have typed it incorrectly. Follow my procedure (above) and see what YOU come up with. Theoretically your programs should all look the same. When at least three of you have posted the program I'll give you the guidelines for our inter-team mini contest...!

Mr. Kibler
  • Dylan LandryDylan Landry Posts: 235
    edited 2011-02-03 19:18
    ' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

counter VAR Byte

FOR counter = 1 TO 122

PULSOUT 13, 850
    PULSOUT 12, 650

PAUSE 20

NEXT

END

This is my version of the new program.
    Andrew,
    The reasoning behind naming the variable a Word and not a Byte, is due to how much information it can hold...
    Bit = 0-1
    Nib = 0-15
    Byte = 0-255
    Word = 65535
    If we needed a variable to only hold a counter of 5, we would most logically use a Nib instead of a Byte, to save space. If we needed a variable to hold lets say a counter of 150, we would use a Byte. It is possible to use a Word instead, but all it is doing is wasting very valuable space.
    edited 2011-02-03 20:03
    ' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

counter VAR Byte

FOR counter = 1 TO 122

PULSOUT 13, 850
    PULSOUT 12, 650

PAUSE 20

NEXT

END

Andrew,
    The reasoning behind naming the variable a Word and not a Byte, is due to how much information it can hold...
    Bit = 0-1
    Nib = 0-15
    Byte = 0-255
    Word = 65535
    If we needed a variable to only hold a counter of 5, we would most logically use a Nib instead of a Byte, to save space. If we needed a variable to hold lets say a counter of 150, we would use a Byte. It is possible to use a Word instead, but all it is doing is wasting very valuable space.

Good work Dylan, especially the information about "bit, nib, byte, and word." This will come in handy in part #2 of the assignment. Please encourage all of your teammates, on the forum or by e-mail, to complete the assignment. When one more person posts the program to the forum I'll post the guidelines for the team's mini-contest.

Mr. Kibler
  • Emily RoseEmily Rose Posts: 53
    edited 2011-02-04 16:36
    ' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}
    counter VAR Byte
    FOR counter = 1 TO 122
    PULSOU 13, 850
    PULSOUT 12, 650
    PAUSE 20
    NEXT
    END

This is my verison
    Emily,
    edited 2011-02-04 17:26
    Emily,

Good work! You're the third Rocketeer to post this simple program and so the game begins:

1) Look at the attached file to make sure the three programs (uploaded by Andrew, Dylan, then Emily) are exactly the same, then pick one. (*NOTE: They AREN'T exactly the same! There is a small typos in at least one program that will cause it not to run. Choose wisely and "read" each program carefully before you decide which of the three to start with.)

2) Change the program to make both servomotors run CCW (counterclockwise) for exactly 2 minutes, 16 and 1/2 seconds. Exactly!

3) E-mail your newly modified program to me and I'll test it on the HwB or BOE. *Those of you who have a BOE or HwB can test and fine tune your program before you send me your final version. Those of your who don't have one, please ask for one at our next practice if you would like one.

PRIZE! PRIZE! PRIZE! The first person to send me a program that makes the servos run for the exact specified time will win a cool techie PRIZE!, to be awarded at our next practice.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

A) I will tell you on the forum if your program didn't run for the specified time. I will not tell you what is wrong with it. You will have to figure it out.

B) You may ask questions. ANYONE ON THE FORUM can offer advice and suggestions...! (that includes Sylvie, Dr. Allen, JP, Mike Green, Jessica Ullman or anyone at Parallax tech support... and even me!)

C) You should definitely read the "What's a Microcontroller?" and "Projects with the BOE-BOT" books (available to download from the Parallax website) before you start. Don't guess. Read for understanding. I want you to be able to apply what you learn.

I'm eager to see who will be successful first (there may even be second and third place prizes...! What you accomplish here will become part of next 'mission' at our next practice. Who participates, and how, will help me determine project teams for our next practice (which is the third and final "try-out" for some of you.)

Have fun ~ !

Aim high,

Mr. Kibler

mkibler@alumni.unity.edu <
  • Andrew (ARLISS)Andrew (ARLISS) Posts: 213
    edited 2011-02-05 15:19
    ... The first person to send me a program that makes the servos run for the exact specified time will win a cool techie PRIZE!, to be awarded at our next practice ...

Mr. Kibler,

I have e-mailed you what I believe is the correct solution to your challenge.

Thank you,
    Andrew
  • Ashley#2Ashley#2 Posts: 11
    edited 2011-02-05 15:26
    Andrew,
    Do you know where I could find the "Projects with the BOE-BOT" book on the parallax website?
    ~Ashley
    edited 2011-02-05 15:52
    Ashley#2 wrote: »
    Do you know where I could find the "Projects with the BOE-BOT" book on the parallax website?

~Ashley

Ashley,

The reason I guided everyone to the Parallax website is so that each person would go there, look around, become familiar with what's available on the website (and where)... and then find the "BOE-BOT" project book and the answers to the challenge. Once completed, this demonstrates the initiative and leadership I'm looking for in new candidates/team members.

Go to www.parallax.com
    >

Click on "Robots" (top center of the screen)
    >

Click on "BOE-BOT robot"
    >

Read this page, find "downloads and resources", then download the information you need to solve the challenge I posted (above).

Good luck ~ !

Mr.Kibler
    :nerd:
    edited 2011-02-05 16:01
    Mr. Kibler,

I have e-mailed you what I believe is the correct solution to your challenge.

Thank you,
    Andrew

Thanks, I got it. I'll download it, run it, and see how long it runs for. Did you do the same before you uploaded it...?

If you're helping Obie and Emily with this up at Sant Bani, guide them along and help them learn, just as Dr. Allen does with you and Dylan. Don't just give them the answers (that's too easy...!) Guide their learning so they become problem-solvers. As you know, we'll need this skill later in the project (or maybe sooner rather than later!)
    Mr. Kibler
    edited 2011-02-05 16:28
    Thank you Mr. Kibler.
    ~Ashley
    edited 2011-02-05 17:41
    Ashley#2 wrote: »
    Thank you Mr. Kibler.

~Ashley

You're welcome Ashley. Did you find the files OK?

Mr.Kibler
    edited 2011-02-05 17:51
    ROCKETEERS,

OK, here are the results of "Andrew's Program, version v.1" - Trials #1-4:

Andrew’s program, v.1
    February 5, 2011 – Mr. Kibler’s lab

*Power from adapter, not 9 volt battery, so variation in time is probably not due to fluctuation in the voltage.

Trial (run) #1 = 150.0 sec. (2 min., 30.0 sec.)

Trial #2 = 150.0 sec. (2 min., 30.0 sec.)

Trial #3 = 1:49.5 sec. (2 min, 29.5 sec.)

Trial #4 = 147.0 sec. (2 min, 27.0 sec.)

Question #1: Why did Andrew use "counter VAR Word" instead of the "counter VAR Byte" that was posted above? What does this do?

Question #2: What can Andrew change to make the servomotors run for less time?

Question #3: Would changing the "PAUSE" from 20 to 10 make the servos run for less time? If not, then what would changing the "PAUSE do?

*Consult your "What's a Microcontroller? "book for answers, and to help you write YOUR program.

Good luck!

Mr. Kibler

Here is version 1 (v.1) of Andrew's program:

' {$STAMP BS2e}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

DEBUG “ANDREW’S PROGRAM, v.1”

counter VAR Word
    FOR counter = 1 TO 6006
    PULSOUT 13, 850
    PULSOUT 14, 850
    PAUSE 20
    NEXT
    END
    edited 2011-02-06 13:52
    Here's my orignal program. I'm still working on the latetest asignment and sadly I can't test it out to see how long it runs, but I'll make do.

' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

DEBUG "ASP-BOT Program Running",CR, "Obie's Non-Version"
    counter VAR Byte
    FOR counter = 1 TO 122
    PAUSE 20
    NEXT
    END

Also, if you use more information than a Word-65535, then what do you do if you exceed its possible information storage. Well I'll see you all this coming weekend.
    Obie
    edited 2011-02-06 14:39
    Obie Wan wrote: »
    Here's my orignal program...

FOR counter = 1 TO 122
    PAUSE 20
    NEXT

Obie

Obie,

I haven't downloaded and run your program yet but I theorize that it won't run for anywhere close to 2:16 minutes. Check your book again and see how long your 'FOR' command makes the servo run for:

FOR counter = 1 to 122

Please post your reply.

You pose a good question here, one that is VERY relevant to our project!

Also, if you use more information than a Word-65535, then what do you do if you exceed its possible information storage?

You should have downloaded the "Stamp Editor" PBASIC program by now, right? Open it up:

1) click on 'Help' (top menu bar)

2) then click "Basic Stamp Help"

3) then click "PBASIC Language Reference"

4) then click "Variables' and read what it says.

5) When you've read this, read through the "Basic Stamp Help" section.

I think you could use DO -- LOOP to make a 1-minute program command LOOP 3 times (3 minutes total.) But there must be another way too...

Let me know what you find out and reconsider the program you posted. When I run your program I'll post the results (but I think it will be way short of 2 minutes...)

Mr.Kibler
    edited 2011-02-06 15:45
    ' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

counter VAR Byte

FOR counter = 1 TO 122

PULSOUT 13, 850
    PULSOUT 12, 650

PAUSE 20

NEXT

END

Andrew,
    Bit = 0-1
    Nib = 0-15
    Byte = 0-255
    Word = 65535
    If we needed a variable to only hold a counter of 5, we would most logically use a Nib instead of a Byte, to save space. .
    Andrew used Var because of the number we used for the counter and how much Var can hold. If there is a pause then it wont make the motors run longer it will make them stop longer. and to make the servomotors run for less time he would need to change the counters.
    edited 2011-02-06 16:13
    Emily Rose wrote: »
    Andrew used Var because of the number we used for the counter and how much Var can hold...

Emily,

Have you e-mailed me your version of the program yet?

Please recheck your information (above.) I thought that VAR (variable) describes or defines the type of variable.

servorotations VAR Byte

(or)

servorotations VAR Word

FOR servorotations = 1 to 200

Each VAR can hold a limited amount of information:

Bit 0 to 1
    Nib 0 to 15
    Byte 0 to 255
    Word 0 to 65535

So why then, would Andrew use Word as a VAR insted of Byte?

I recall (or maybe I was dreaming) that there is another command called "LONG" that hold more information. But I couldn't find it on page 71 in the "Robotics with the BOE-BOT", nor in the "What's a Microcontroller?" book.

Dpes anyone know if "LONG" is a VAR command longer than Word...? Is there anything longer than Word for a VAR (in PBASIC)?

Mr. Kibler
    edited 2011-02-06 16:47
    sorry, I understand how my thinking was wrong, and no I haven't emailed mine to you yet, I'm still working on it.

Emily
    edited 2011-02-08 08:42
    ROCKETEERS,
    Just a reminder that we're making a presentation to the Contoocook Valley Shortwave Radio Club tonight (Tuesday, 2/8). I'll bring the video, a projector, and the PowerPoint presentation. Let's not foget the ASP, the rocket, and a 440 mhz transmitter they asked us to bring.

Please meet at my house by 6:15 and we'll drive to Hopkinton from there. I should have you back to my house between 8:15-8:30. TEAMN DRESS is nice khaki pants, nice shoes (no tennis shoes please), and an ARLISS or SLI team shirt. Andrew and Dylan, please make sure everyone understand 'team dress.'

This is not a mandatory event for new team member candidates but I would like to see everyone from last year's team attend. Recall that last year the shortwave radio club loaned us a shortwave transceiver so we could track our payload's longitude and latitude. They are eager to hear you talk about your project and to meet you. This is our way of saying "thank you" to them.

So Rocketeers have uploaded the answer to the assignment (you were asked to write a simple program) and some haven't. This factors is two ways:

1) If you are a candidate for this year's team it shows leadership and responsibility (or not)

2) You will need the proggarm at this Sunday's practice. Those who have completed and who understand the assignment will probably work together and move ahead. Thise who haven't will be relegated to the 'dungeon' (our TV room) to complete the late homework assignment.

I look forward to seeing the four of you tonight who said you plan on coming around 6:15 PM.

From the lab (lunch time!)'

Mr. Kibler
  • Jake GoldsberryJake Goldsberry Posts: 85
    edited 2011-02-09 04:07
    How did the meeting go last night? I'm sorry I haven't been on in a while, I'm working really hard on understanding the Basic Stamp Editor. Mr. Kibler, is there any way we could meet during school so you could help me really understand all that you can accomplish with the program? It would be a great help! I'm trying really hard to get the challenge done before this weekend.
    Hopefully we can meet up,
    -JAKE-
    edited 2011-02-09 13:50
    Mr. Kibler,
    Sorry I never replied on Saturday, but I did find the files okay, and started reading it. Jake said that he could use some help in understanding, and I agree. I guess programming isn't my strong subject either! I have tried learning and it just hasn't helped my understanding. Is there any way you could help both me and Jacob?
    ~Ashley~
    edited 2011-02-09 15:26
    ROCKETEERS,

First of all let me compliment those who attended last evening's presentation to the Contoocook Valley Shortwave Radio Club-- especially those who came from nearly an hour away on a cold New Hampshire school night. You were absolutely AWESOME! You were poised, professional, and passionate, and that resonated really well with the people who attended the meeting. I found out today that some came all the way from Nashua and Boston just to hear about the project. Wow!

The members were absolutely enthralled by your presentation; I know this because I received 11 glowing e-mails today saying so. If this was you first presentation, welcome to the "big leagues"! Your feet are wet, you're on your way, and you did just fine.

If you're having difficulty understanding PBASIC programming, start with the "basics". Think back to what we did at Sunday's practice, read the assignment I posted above, then go to the "What's a Microcontroller" book and read the pages we covered until you understand them. Then complete the assignment. The book is FREE at the Parallax website and many of you already have it. Your answers may not be perfect but it is a starting point. If you don't understand something, ASK on the forum.

Our team requires time, thought, and effort outside of practice, no doubt about it. We are not a club but rather, we are a top-notch Engineering Design Team. We are scientists and problem-solvers. Success on the team requires that you stay current with the homework assignments that are posted above in order to understand what we're doing at our next practice. We won't be spending time at practice covering assignments that should have been done before practice because we need to use the knowledge AT practice. We meet too infrequently and our limited "build" time together is precious. If the assignments are too hard or if you don't want to commit the time learning and understanding them, please reconsider whether the team is a good fit for you.

Congratulations again on your presentation, Rocketeers! ARLISS Team New Hampshire is on it's way!

Well done,
    Mr. Kibler

:nerd:

P.S. - I think I left my new 'Indiana Jones' hat at the Hopkinton Library* (*which is really in Contoocook, as we found out...!) Has anyone seen in?
  • Stephanie1113Stephanie1113 Posts: 13
    edited 2011-02-10 12:03
    Hey everyone,
    Hi everyone, sorry it has been so long! My computer was broken. I tried so many times to get on here using my ipod, but i couldn't remember my password. I also tried to check my email for it, but we don't get much wi-fi at my house and it wouldn't let me get a signal. I know i owe you guys three questions from the last meeting, but I would like to read all the posts that you guys put on while I was not on. I'm sorry about your Indiana hat Mr. Kibler. I love Indiana Jones movies, but anyways I hope you find it.

~Steph

P.S. How was the surgery Mr. Kibler?
    edited 2011-02-10 12:50
    Obie,
    Here is the program you posted above:

' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

DEBUG "ASP-BOT Program Running",CR, "Obie's Non-Version"
    counter VAR Byte
    FOR counter = 1 TO 122
    PAUSE 20
    NEXT
    END

To make your program function there are three things for you to look at, understand, and then change.

1) When I ran your program the computer screen only shows the words between the quotation marks: "ASP-BOT Program Running",CR, "Obie's Non-Version". After that nothing happened. Look at Andrew's program and see how your DEBUG commands are different than his, then change them.

2) I changed your DEBUG statements and ran the program again. But again, nothing happened. Compare the second half of your program to Andrew's and see if you can write the program to make the servos move, for any length of time. (*HINT: You need to include two small, simple lines of program code that send an electrical PULSE that command the sevomotors to move.)
    THE SPECIFIC ORDER AND WORDING OF PROGRAM COMMANDS IS ALWAYS CRUCIAL, all the way down to a comma or a period...!

3) Finally, and as we discussed in the van on the way to the presentation the other night, your "FOR counter" command is far too short to make the servos run for 2 minutes, 16-1/2 seconds. Read the book and then write a new "FOR counter" command line to make the servos run for that exact time. Andrew's command line, "FOR counter = 1 to 6006" makes them run too long (see above.) Don't simply copy his work (it's HIS work, and the servos run too long.) Read the WMA ("What's a Microcontroller?") book; learn; and the apply what you learn. The team needs leaders, thinkers, and do-ers, not followers.

You have three simple program "fixes" to make, Obie. Once you've made these changes please post version 2 (v.2) of your program to the forum and I'll run it again.

You should all learn from the information I just explained to Obie, then change your programs so they work. Read the pages in the WMA book that I assigned for a better and more thorough understanding. Some of you won't be able to change your program because you did not do the assignment.... ;-( ....As I explained to Obie, the team needs leaders, thinkers, problem solvers, and do-ers.

You did a fine job at the presentation the other night, Obie! Pretty good for your first presentation. Thanks for staying up so late on a cold school night and with such a long drive home. Please thank your mother profusely for driving (maybe even give her a hug!)

Aim high,

Mr. Kibler

**Stephanie - My surgery went OK and I'm lying in a hospital bed, texting and recovering. I obviously won't be at school tomorrow (but I will be on-line and on the forum...!) How are the heat shield trials going in class?

Thanks for asking. ;-)
    edited 2011-02-10 16:33
    Ok Mr. Kibler I'll look into the code and have it to you as soon as possible. I had a great time at the presentation, Dylan, Emily, Andrew, and of course Mr. Kibler, you guys did great. It was a great experience.
    Oh searched the web a bit to try and find a larger value than word but I couldn't find anything else. Of course most of what I found didn't even have all the ones Dylan listed above. So I was wondering if anyone else has found anything.
    Well see you all on saturday.
    Obie