Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ARLISS Team NH - Page 40 — Parallax Forums

ARLISS Team NH

Comments

• Mark KiblerMark Kibler Posts: 546
    edited 2011-02-19 14:32
    ARLISS Team New Hampshire Rocketeers,

I think we had a very good and productive practice today. What about you? Everyone is up-to-date on their homework assignments and it seems like everyone understands how simple programs work. I think you're beginning to see why it's important to do the activities before practice (because we use the information AT practice!)

Here's where we're headed next; this is what I would like you to do in the next several days before we meet again (Sunday, March 6th at 1 PM.)

Everyone:

1) List three things you think we need to accomplish next. I've asked Dylan to compile the list and prioritize what we've listed. We will enter these into a GANTT chart at-- or before-- our next practice.

RULES OF THE GAME: You cannot repeat anything anyone else has listed and so it's better to post to the forum sooner rather than later.

2) Look up what a GANTT chart is.
    Explain it simply in your next post.

Dylan and Andrew:

* Upload today's latest version of the ASP-BOT program (ASP-BOT v.3?) to the forum.

* Re-write the program so that the "movement - forward" subroutine activates after the MAWD "lands" and then reads 10 consecutive 0's. The first thing I would like to do at our next practice is put the ASP-BOT in the vacuum chamber and try your program.

* Please work indepently on writing the program but do check the answers that your partner receives on the forum to the questions he posts. His questions, and the answers he receives, will be different from yours and so you will be learning from each other. I want to see two different programs when we meet next time. As I said above, the first thing we'll do at our next practice is upload each of your programs, put the ASP-BOT in the vacuum chamber, and run your program to see how each one works. Good luck! (~ and get started sooner rather than later.)

* Please read your books and reach out to our friends on the forum forum for help. We're moving into territory beyond my expertise.

Emily, Jake, Obie, and Stephanie:

Good teamwork today, especialy Emily who worked back and forth between two subsystem teams. Continue the work you started at the end of practice. That is, write a program to make a STANDARD servomotor go one full rotation, pause 3 seconds, and then return to the position it started in. Your program will be used to release the parachute from the ASP-BOT and so it must work.

You will all need need to read further, and more deeply, in your "What's a Microcontroller?" book to figure this out. Everyone has one and these are a gift to you from Parllax, and from me. As with Dylan and Andrew, work independently so that each of you learns how to write the program. Once you've written your program, e-mail it to me (mkibler@alumni.unity.edu) and I'll test it and offer comments. I'd like to to receive your program before next weekend.

Finally, would everone please summarize your thoughts and suggestions about today's practice in a short paragraph when you list "three things we need to do next"? What worked, what didn't, and how can we become a better and more effective team?

You're the best!

Aim high,

Mr. Kibler
    :cool:
  • Emily RoseEmily Rose Posts: 53
    edited 2011-02-19 16:02
    A GANTT chart is a chart that has time deadlines for separate smaller parts of a bigger more complex project.
    1. We need to draw a blue print of what we want our ASP-BOT to look like.
    2. We need to figure out how to get the bot to sample and move at the same time.
    3. We need decide weather or not to use two BOE boards or not.
    Today was a good meeting because it was productive. I worked with Jake and Stephaine which helped cement concepets and math in my brain and I helped or rather learned and observed with Dylan and Andrew. With Steph and Jake I helped steph finish her homework and then Jake and I begain speculating about how to write the program. My idea however did not work. I did my best to help. From listening to Andrew and Dylan talk I think that we should have a separate BOE board to control the wheels with a separate MAWD. Tonight I start reading for my program andI think I might make a sketch of a parachute on our BOT..well think about what our BOT will look like mostly.
    Emily.
    edited 2011-02-19 19:46
    Emily,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. Here are the first three items on our "to-do" list. Emily believes that we need to:

1. Draw a blue print of what we want our ASP-BOT to look like.
    2. Figure out how to get the bot to sample and move at the same time.
    3. Decide whether or not to use two BOE boards, or one.

I agree with all three of her suggestions.

Who's next to add three items to the list?

Good evening,

Mr. Kibler
    edited 2011-02-20 09:37
    Emily, Jake, Obie, and Stephanie:

Before you get too far in the assignment I posted for you above I suggest that you read more about servomotors in your "What's A Microcontroller?" books. As you've learned, a standard servo works differently that an continuous rotation servo. But how? That is critical to understanding how to do the assignment... or not.

You can also look at the Parallax website to find a brief summary of each type of servo, what it does, and what it doesn't do:

Standard servo - http://www.parallax.com/tabid/768/ProductID/101/Default.aspx

Continuous rotation servo - http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/ProductID/102/List/1/Default.aspx?SortField=UnitCost,ProductName

The questions you're really trying to answer are:

1) What can each servo do?

2) What are the limitations of each type of servo?

Have fun,

Mr. Kibler
  • Dylan LandryDylan Landry Posts: 235
    edited 2011-02-20 16:21
    Project Team---

Sorry for not posting earlier. The rest of my weekend was more busy then I had expected.
    1. Create a program to initiate the parachute detachment.
    2. Create a program to initiate movement of the ASP-BOT.
    3. Address the matter of possibly contacting the Japanese teams for insight on both creating the mechanism of detaching the parachute and number 2.
    edited 2011-02-20 17:19
    Project Team---

Sorry for not posting earlier. The rest of my weekend was more busy then I had expected.

1. Create a program to initiate the parachute detachment.
    2. Create a program to initiate movement of the ASP-BOT.
    3. Address the matter of possibly contacting the Japanese teams for insight on both creating the mechanism of detaching the parachute and number 2.

Thanks for positing, Dylan. Your answer #2 is essentially the same as Emily's #2 but your #3 was actually two ideas. So I split them into #5 and #6.,

So far we have:

4. Create a program to initiate the parachute detachment.
    5. Contact the Japanese teams for insight on creating the mechanism for detaching the parachute, and
    6. Contatc the Jaoanese team(s) for their ideas about a program to make the robot move (*actually we said that we wanted to ask them about GPS navigation, not about a simple movement program-. We already have one, remember?)

Keep up the good work,

Mr. Kibler
    edited 2011-02-21 03:58
    Here is the current program: 'ASP-BOT v.3 - February 19, 2011'

The ASP-2 program is being re-tasked so the 'ASP-BOT' robot moves 100 meters after the Air Sampling Probe/Robot (ASP-BOT) lands, all the while collecting data as it did while in flight.

Our challenge is unlocking the 'movement' subroutine and seamlessly interfacing it into the current program so that each program works perfectly.

Mark
  • Jake GoldsberryJake Goldsberry Posts: 85
    edited 2011-02-21 04:00
    Hi all,
    I think our next steps from here should go as follows:
    1. Understand the standard motors and learn the approriate way to program them.
    2. Draw diagrams of the rover with all the essentials in place.
    3. Draw diagrams of the parachute and list Ideas for a mechanism

A Gantt chart is a graphical representation of the duration of tasks against the progression of time.

I think the meeting was only partially efficent, mostly because of how confused we are about the standard motor programming. We spent alot of time trying to understand that, when we could have been designing the parachute or the rover. I understand it is a helpful step towards the rover, but in the end, we probably wont use something as slow as a standard servo motor to release the parachute. That's just my opinion. I was however, impressed by the work completed by Andrew and Dylan. Great job guys! And Emily, nice job being the four and a half. See you all in two weeks! :)

-JAKE-
    edited 2011-02-21 08:10

A Gantt chart is a graphical representation of the duration of tasks against the progression of time.

-JAKE-

Jake,

In your own words, what is a a GANTT chart and how will we be using it at our next practice?

Mr. Kibler
    edited 2011-02-21 08:16
    So far we have:

Emily:

Dylan:

5. Contact the Japanese teams for insight on creating the mechanism for detaching the parachute, and
    6. Contact the Japanese team(s) for their ideas about a program to make the robot move (*actually we said that we wanted to ask them about GPS navigation, not about a simple movement program.

Jake:

7. Draw diagrams... for a [parachute release] mechanism
    8. Understand the standard motors and learn the approriate way to program them.
    9. Travel to UNH to get ideas about the project. Or MIT.

Who will be next to post their ideas? This list is growing long, we've used up the 'simple' ideas, and so it's gone to become more challenging to find ideas to add to the list.

Mr. Kibler
    edited 2011-02-21 13:19
    Hi all,
    In my words, a gantt chart is a graph used to plan project steps and the amount of time you have. This way you can get a glimpse of the task ahead of you, and if it is possible to complete it in the timeframe given.

Two more suggestions:
    1. Decide on which team is design and which team is program ( I think team names would be good for this)
    2. Travel to UNH to get ideas about the project. Or MIT. Either would be great! :)

-JAKE-

p.s Sorry about the repeats, I didn't think they had been posted. Of course i did do that in the morning,
    edited 2011-02-21 15:48
    [QUOTE=Jake Goldsberry;979088
    ]... A GANTT chart is a graph used to plan project steps and the amount of time you have. This way you can get a glimpse of the task ahead of you, and if it is possible to complete it in the timeframe given.

Two more suggestions:

1. Decide on which team is design and which team is program ( I think team names would be good for this)
    2. Travel to UNH to get ideas about the project. Or MIT. Either would be great! :)

JAKE

Jake,

Yours is a a good, clear definition of what a GANTT chart is and how we'll be using it. I'll add your ideas to the list and I like the idea of following-up on the invitation to go to UNH's Department of Aerospace Studies.

Mr. Kibler
  • Obie WanObie Wan Posts: 46
    edited 2011-02-21 18:47
    A gannt chart is a chart with a list of start and end dates for different elements, parts, or subsystems of a project, used to organize a project within a time frame. In our case it would be the asp bot.
    Here are my three contributions to the list:

Decide what we want to sample with the asp bot if we cannot fit everything on it
    Find a way for the asp bot to still be useful after it lands/how it lands (meaning it does not land in anyway that could incapacitate it)
    Program the soil sampling aspect of the asp (if we get that far)
    Assemble the ASp bot(obviously)

I believe that corresponds with the rules Mr. Kibler. Also what exactly does everyone mean by unlocking the movement code, because I wasn't there Saturday and never really figured out what it means? See all soon.
    Obie
    edited 2011-02-21 18:55
    So far we have:

Emily:

Dylan:

6. Contact the Japanese team(s) for their ideas about a program to make the robot move (*actually we said that we wanted to ask them about GPS navigation, not about a simple movement program.

Jake:

Obie:

10. Assemble the ASP-BOT
    11. Program the soil sampling aspect of the ASP (stretch goal)

Who will be next to post their ideas: Andrew or Stephanie? This list is growing even longer and so it's going to become more challenging to find ideas to finish out the list. Viable ideas will be put on the GANTT (project planning) chart and subsystem teams will be assigned accordingly.

Mr. Kibler
    ;-)
    edited 2011-02-21 19:00
    Obie Wan wrote: »
    A gannt chart is a chart with a list of start and end dates for different elements, parts, or subsystems of a project, used to organize a project within a time frame. In our case it would be the asp bot.
    Here are my three contributions to the list:

Decide what we want to sample with the asp bot if we cannot fit everything on it
    Find a way for the asp bot to still be useful after it lands/how it lands (meaning it does not land in anyway that could incapacitate it)
    Program the soil sampling aspect of the asp (if we get that far)
    Assemble the ASp bot(obviously)

I believe that corresponds with the rules Mr. Kibler. Also what exactly does everyone mean by unlocking the movement code, because I wasn't there Saturday and never really figured out what it means? See all soon.
    Obie

Obie,

I'm not sure what your first two ideas mean and they seem to say the same thing. Our ideas need to be specific, actionable items, things we can do, or build, or program. Specific tasks.

* Decide what we want to sample with the asp bot if we cannot fit everything on it
    * Find a way for the asp bot to still be useful after it lands/how it lands (meaning it does not land in anyway that could incapacitate it)

Your second two ideas are right on target (especially "build the new ASP-BOT") and I added them to the list. Can you come up with one more specific thing we need to do to add to the list?

* Program the soil sampling aspect of the asp (if we get that far)
    * Assemble the ASP-BOT (obviously)

See you on Wednesday when we'll meet to work on your Independent Project. Tell Mom or Dad or whoever is driving you that Mrs. K is planning pizza and salad for dinner. Come hungry!

Mr. Kibler
    ;-)
  • Andrew (ARLISS)Andrew (ARLISS) Posts: 213
    edited 2011-02-22 05:45
    Everyone:

1) List three things you think we need to accomplish next. I've asked Dylan to compile the list and prioritize what we've listed. We will enter these into a GANTT chart at-- or before-- our next practice.

RULES OF THE GAME: You cannot repeat anything anyone else has listed and so it's better to post to the forum sooner rather than later.

1. Discuss, design and build how the ASP-Bot is going to move. Do we want wheels, treads, a crawler? This may seem simple enough, but the rover's functions are going to be dependent on this. As with other parts of the project (such as GPS navigation), this may be another aspect to ask other ARLISS teams about. Why did the Japanese teams use the wheel design that they chose? Did it actually work? etc.

2. Building off of some other questions already asked, if and when we collect soil samples of the playa, how will we use and study them and for what purpose? Perhaps this has been discussed before, but for the team members that proposed soil sampling, what exactly do you have in mind to do with the samples? Will our soil sampling rover simply be a proof of concept, or something more?

3. What are some ways we can minimize the size (and possibly weight) of the ASP-Bot? While designing the ASP-Bot, I think it is critical that we take into consideration the amount of space we have available, and the space we are going to need. It is important to note that in addition to just a BOE (or two?), there are other required components such as the BeeLine GPS transmitter, an altimeter, etc.

2) Look up what a GANTT chart is.
    Explain it simply in your next post.

A Gantt chart is a chart that outlines the schedule of a project. It shows dates for the start and completion of important tasks, to keep the project on schedule so it is completed by the deadline.

Thanks, and hello from sunny and warm Florida!

-- Andrew
    edited 2011-02-22 17:37
    So far we have:

Emily:

Dylan:

Jake:

Obie:

10. Program the soil sampling aspect of the asp (if we get that far)
    11. Assemble the new ASP-BOT (obviously)
    12. ??? (see above)

Andrew checks in from Florida with some thoughtful ideas.

13. Discuss, design, and then build how the ASP-Bot is going to move (wheels, treads, a crawler?)
    14. If we collect soil samples (a stretch goal) how will we use and study them? For what scientific purpose? Will our soil sampling rover simply be a proof of concept, or something more?
    15. Minimize the size (and weight?) of the ASP-BOT

PS - What DOES "proof of concept" mean (see #14)?

Waiting for Stephanie to post. Then I'll put together our GANTT project planning chart.

Mr. Kibler
    edited 2011-02-22 18:42
    Rocketeers,

Please see the attached GANTT chart and give me your thoughts on the timeline and deadline dates for each component. Andrew and Dylan will most likely NOT be responsible for the parachute release mechanism and its program. They will be given a similar GANTT chart (with a similar timeline) for getting the movement program operational. The parachute release mechanism subsystem team will be a two person team.

Please note that whomever is on the parachute detachment subsystem team must come to the next practice with design ideas in hand, and that the deadline date for having the device and the program fully operational is only four weeks later, in early April.

Mr. Kibler
    1024 x 768 - 31K
    edited 2011-02-23 05:28
    See the update I posted below
    edited 2011-02-23 07:47
    Rocketeers,

What are your thoughts on these susbsystem teams and goals? The goals are a condensed version of what you posted above.

* Dylan and Andrew: Your subsystem tasks are posted below. I'll post your timeline/GANTT chart as soon as I complete it.

* Jake: Your GANTT chart timeline is already posted (ABOVE) and the clock is ticking. All four tasks are due in 5 weeks.

* Team: Who, of the remaining Rocketeers, should be on which subsystem team?

ASP-BOT ENGINEERING DESIGN TEAM: Design and build the ASP-BOT – Obie and ???

Mission goal #

1. Design the ASP-BOT. How is it going to move (wheels, treads, walk, or crawl?)

2. Decide whether to use two BOE boards or one.

3. Draw a blue print of the ASP-BOT. Decrease the ASP-2’s weight and space.

4. Clone the ASP-2’s circuitry and build the new ASP-BOT.

ASP-BOT PROGRAM DESIGN TEAM: Program the ASP-BOT to sample and move at the same time – Andrew and Dylan

5. Activate the movement subroutine.

6. Program the movement subroutine so the ASP-BOT moves at least 100 meters after the MAWD reads “0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0” after touchdown.

7. Test the program in the vacuum chamber.

8. Have the program fully operational (launch ready.)

PARACHUTE RELEASE MECHANISM SUBSYSTEM TEAM: Design and build a parachute release mechanism – Jake and ???
    (GANTT chart posted to forum, above)

9. Contact the Japanese teams to learn about the mechanism they used for detaching their parachute(s).

10. Draw diagrams for a parachute release mechanism.

11. Understand the standard motors and how to program them.

12. Create a program to initiate parachute detachment.

STRETCH GOALS: These will wait until all primary mission goals are “launch ready.” – Team

1. Design, build, and program the soil sampling part of the ASP-BOT.

2. GPS navigation back to launch site. - Contact the Japanese team(s) for their ideas about a program for GPS navigation in the meantime.

Mr. Kibler
    edited 2011-02-24 09:42
    I believe their is only two poeple left to be placed on teams. Emily and Stephanie. Which would be best for designing the BoE and which would be best for designing the release mechanism? The gnatt chart shows that the release mechanism is to be designed by the next practice. Once we have the team officially decided, we can really get moving and collaborate. Mr. Kibler pointed out to me today that the project has a major ripple effect if one thing is not completed on the rest. So again, who is best for what project? The sooner this is decided, the sooner we can get the release mechanism designed. One person teams are not efficent in my opinion.
    Thanks so much,
    -JAKE-
    edited 2011-02-24 14:06
    I think my skills would best used if I was on the PARACHUTE RELEASE MECHANISM SUBSYSTEM TEAM with.
    edited 2011-02-24 15:18
    Rocketeers,

These goals are a condensed version of the ideas you posted above.

* Dylan and Andrew: Your subsystem tasks are posted below. I'll post your timeline/GANTT chart as soon as I complete it.

* Jake and Emily: Your GANTT chart timeline is posted (ABOVE) and all four tasks are due in 5 weeks.

* Team: Who, of the remaining Rocketeers, should be on which subsystem team?

ASP-BOT ENGINEERING DESIGN TEAM: Design and build the ASP-BOT – Obie and ???

Mission goal #

1. Design the ASP-BOT. How is it going to move (wheels, treads, walk, or crawl?)

2. Decide whether to use two BOE boards or one.

3. Draw a blue print of the ASP-BOT. Decrease the ASP-2’s weight and space.

4. Clone the ASP-2’s circuitry and build the new ASP-BOT.

ASP-BOT PROGRAM DESIGN TEAM: Program the ASP-BOT to sample and move at the same time – Andrew and Dylan

5. Activate the movement subroutine.

6. Program the movement subroutine so the ASP-BOT moves at least 100 meters after the MAWD reads “0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0” after touchdown.

7. Test the program in the vacuum chamber.

8. Have the program fully operational (launch ready.)

PARACHUTE RELEASE MECHANISM SUBSYSTEM TEAM: Design and build a parachute release mechanism – Jake and Emily
    (GANTT chart posted to forum, above)

9. Contact the Japanese teams to learn about the mechanism they used for detaching their parachute(s).

10. Draw diagrams for a parachute release mechanism.

11. Understand the standard motors and how to program them.

12. Create a program to initiate parachute detachment.

STRETCH GOALS: These will wait until all primary mission goals are “launch ready.” – Team

1. Design, build, and program the soil sampling part of the ASP-BOT.

2. GPS navigation back to launch site. - Contact the Japanese team(s) for their ideas about a program for GPS navigation in the meantime.

Mr. Kibler
    edited 2011-02-26 03:35
    Emily- I will contact you this afternoon (later) so we can get to work!
  • Dylan LandryDylan Landry Posts: 235
    edited 2011-02-26 16:56
    Project Team,
    It seems that there haven't been a lot of conversation lately, since everyone has their tasks and whatnot.
    This may sound over the top, but I would like one person from each subsystem team to email me their progress, about once a week. This will help me and Mr. Kibler gauge where we are in terms of completing goals, and in just general progress. This can also help us figure out what we need to do as a team each practice, as in what goals are priority and what gaols still need to be completed that require all of us to be in attendance.
    I understand that all of us are on vacation this week, so you don't, "HAVE" to email me your progress this week. But after this weekend I expect each team to send me an email on where you are, in terms of completion of your tasks.

Hope you all have a good vacation,
    Dylan Landry
  • RavenkallenRavenkallen Posts: 1,057
    edited 2011-03-01 19:08
    I just want to say that i am really proud to see that electronics are flourishing in NH. Although i wasn't born here, i consider it to be my home. Most people disregard the scientific aspect of New Hampshire, but i really think it is crucial and will help shape the future of the state...It is weird to think that i could have seen some of you and didn't even know it! Keep up the good work guys and girls:)
    edited 2011-03-02 06:13
    Emily- This is my idea so far for the release mechanism attached in a pdf file below. This is still open to suggestion, since we do not have a finished design yet. Please reply soon thanks!

-JAKE-

Here is the document:
    edited 2011-03-02 16:29
    Jake,
    Thanks Jake I like the idea, I'll be posting my ideas soon
    Emily
  • Obie WanObie Wan Posts: 46
    edited 2011-03-02 16:51
    I have an interesting question. What is the chance of rain or some other hazardous weather happening while we are in the Black Rock Desert?

Jake, I looked at the parachute design. (Yes I know I'm not on parachute design) It's looks pretty good. Great job.

One final question: Have we already chosen the date for the next meeting or is that still in conceptual stages at this point?

See you all soon, have a great vacation.

Obie
    edited 2011-03-03 14:56
    I have an interesting question. What is the chance of rain or some other hazardous weather happening while we are in the Black Rock Desert?

There's a minimal chance of rain but it could be pretty windy, depending on what time of day we launch. It is, after all, a desert.
    Have we already chosen the date for the next meeting or is that still in conceptual stages at this point?

Obie

Yes! We have practice THIS SUNDAY from 1-4 PM

From my hospital bed (I had emergency surgery today),

Mr.Kibler