Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New 4.3" touchscreen LCD for Propeller: "used" screens almost free w/purchase. - Page 8 — Parallax Forums

New 4.3" touchscreen LCD for Propeller: "used" screens almost free w/purchase.

Comments

• blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2009-10-26 02:14
    I would be definitely wanting one of them!!! Let us know when they are available.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    What electronics need - MORE POWER!!!!!!!
  • mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
    edited 2009-10-26 17:34
    I received my 5 displays today. They look great. Can't wait until I get my breakout boards in so I can start playing with them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    24 bit LCD Breakout Board coming soon. $21.99 has backlight driver and touch sensitive decoder.
  • CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
    edited 2009-10-26 17:58
    Yes they are great - got mine too a few days ago. And, Matt, I'm confident that your b-boards will work although you haven't had a chance yet to test them with the real McCoy. [noparse]:)[/noparse])

@Ray - nice to see the 'default' Propeller display content. For my next batch of screens, I'll try out your b-board. I like that it plugs right into the Prop.Platform. I can't tell from the picture - is it possible to to stack them like a sandwich - Prop below, Screen on top ... with the b-board inbetween like the peanut butter and jelly?

- H

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-26 18:09
    I am sure my breakouts will work also. Great care was taken to minimize EMI on the board and to allow highest possible bandwidth.

I am hoping to run this display at 30 frames per second 24bit colour once I get my 512Mbit memory module working. But first I will try running at 6bit like Rayman directly from the prop. Unfortunelty mine will not directly plug into the prop platform but it will plug directly into my memory module and will be very easy to wire to any prop. I took a bit of a risk on my sale price and building 90 break out boards. I still have to sell 9 more to break even but I just look at it as making it cheaper for me to use myself if I do not break even.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    24 bit LCD Breakout Board coming soon. $21.99 has backlight driver and touch sensitive decoder.
    edited 2009-10-26 19:13
    I think you and Ray are addressing different needs, which is good. These screens are nice enough to be used in many ways.

> hoping to run this display at 30 frames per second 24bit colour

Super! this will make a very impressive little display. I'm curious at what the minimum touch resolution turns out to be.

> took a bit of a risk on my sale price and building 90 break out boards

Well, I think it will turn out to be a smart gamble. If you continue to provide rapid solutions to new things like this, you're going to do fine, IMO.

- H

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-26 19:17
    well the touch decoder is 12bit so in theory 1pixel should be doable. in reality though that will not be the case i am sure.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Luis DigitalLuis Digital Posts: 371
    edited 2009-10-26 19:22
    I received the beautiful LCDs in my country. Thank you!

Mouser Part #: 649-176529-60105EHLF
    Could be 99.9% compatible with Ray and mctrivia PCBs?

For Ray and mctrivia:
    How much would a PCB without components? If Mouser Connector is compatible.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,805
    edited 2009-10-26 19:27
    The connector is a pretty standard thing, so I think that would work... I believe I described the important attributes (and the Digikey part#) in an earlier post...

Also, I've actually posted the PCB layout too, so you can see for yourself if it is compatible or not...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My Prop Info&Apps: ·http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/propeller.htm
    edited 2009-10-26 19:28
    no components I am selling panels of 10 for $40. With just caps and connector I sell $9.99.

Unless you are planning to make several you are better off to get the fully assembled. At $20.99 until end of the day parts cost is almost the same and you get assembled already.

Checkout http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=394005&p=2 for more info on mine.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-26 19:39
    Important things to know to see if will work with other screens:

60 pin
    0.5mm pitch

On mine actual use does not mater but label may be wrong for different display:
    pin 14-DOF
    pin 18-25 Blue
    pin 26-33 green
    pin 34-41 red
    pin 42-HSYNC
    pin 43-VSYNC
    pin 44-PCLK
    pin 45-DE

On both boards pins must match use
    pin 1,2-Back Light- or GND
    pin 3,4-Back Light+
    pin 6-touch X+
    pin 7-touch Y+
    pin 8-touch X-
    pin 9-touch Y-
    pin 46-NC
    pin 47,48-VDD
    all others GND

*Note I thought you found potentially compatible screen not connector.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-26 21:58
    Yeah, I don't expect too much demand for blank PCBs because although you can solder the connector by hand, it's not very easy... Plus, it would wind up costing you about the same after adding in an order for connectors and chips to make it work...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Rayman) : 10/26/2009 11:51:38 PM GMT
    edited 2009-10-26 22:01
    Luis Digital said...
    I received the beautiful LCDs in my country. Thank you!
    Glad to hear it!· Haven't heard of any broken ones yet...· I think domestic shipments are automatically insured, but I don't think international ones are...·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-26 22:17
    CounterRotatingProps said...
    ·I can't tell from the picture - is it possible to to stack them like a sandwich - Prop below, Screen on top ... with the b-board inbetween like the peanut butter and jelly?
    I did originally intend that the LCD be attached with double-sided tape to the back of the breakout board with just the header above the LCD.· Have to see how well that works out for people...
    I think what we really need is a nice plastic bezel and some way to mount the thing...
    This will be easy with my PSB board because the LCD is attached and it has mounting holes outside of the LCD perimeter...
    I'm not really sure how people can mount this display...
    I've asked for the original bezel, but I don't think I'll get it because it probably has company specific info on it...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-27 00:30
    mctrivia said...
    I am hoping to run this display at 30 frames per second 24bit colour once I get my 512Mbit memory module working. But first I will try running at 6bit like Rayman directly from the prop.
    It would definitely be nice to show true color images on the screen.· I think the screen is flexible enough to allow it, even if you have to drop the refresh rate way down...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-27 00:34
    My controller is running at 250Mhz and 133Mhz ram. Should be possible.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • neotericneoteric Posts: 144
    edited 2009-10-27 14:57
    I just got a CNC machine, I am still learning. But I could TRY (just learning) to prototype some cases, if someone wanted to do a design.

The machine cuts plastic, so we could do some prototypes and then someone could use them to have cases made. Did I mention I am just learning it. It is 2.5D, not fully 3d like a plastic prototyper. But might be fun to try.
  • kerrywkerryw Posts: 61
    edited 2009-10-27 18:44
    Rayman said...
    PSB prototype checkout is all done and everything works! (with a few jumper wires here and there...)

It's got:
    - 4.3" touchscreen LCD
    - Prop with 64kB EEPROM
    - VGA and TV output
    - 2X USB keyboard/mouse input (PS2 mode only) <-- I think I need to add in a regular PS2 port
    - SD card with WP/CD sensor
    - USB programming/power
    - Amplified headphone audio output
    - Onboard 5V regulator

I want to add in next revision:
    - I2C 3-axis accelerometer
    - I2C RTC
    - Power light
    - LCD header so board can double as low cost breakout board
    - PropPlug header
    - PS2 keyboard or mouse connector

Gimme [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Seriously, I'd be all over one of these. Or two.

Kerry

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Heaven help me Marge, I'm just not that smart." - Homer Simpson
  • Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
    edited 2009-10-27 22:19
    I can help design and produce a nice screen enclosure with a bezel. I have a 50W laser that will cut out some very nice parts. I've made some screen enclosures for some other LCDs I've been using. Once I get the break out boards, I'll start my design.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim Fouch

FOUCH SOFTWARE
    edited 2009-10-27 22:39
    Jim,

a narrow benzel would be nice as the screen rim is narrow ... just enough to hold the screen and mount the benzel... a mount pount in each corner would be good for me. Thanks - H

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-29 15:56
    Just heard they're going to ship 170 more displays in the next few days!

But, after these, the cost will increase ~$10 to about $15.

I'll try to find time to make a special page for these displays with ordering info on my web site...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2009-10-29 18:44
    I got my five displays today... they look great!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.mikronauts.com Please use mikronauts _at_ gmail _dot_ com to contact me off-forum, my PM is almost totally full
    Morpheusdual Prop SBC w/ 512KB kit $119.95, Mem+2MB memory IO board kit $89.95, both kits $189.95
    Propteus and Proteus for Propeller prototyping 6.250MHz custom Crystals run Propellers at 100MHz
    Las - Large model assembler for the Propeller Largos - a feature full nano operating system for the Propeller
    edited 2009-10-29 19:25
    Great! I think you're one of the few people around who may be able to get a photo going on these things [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Nick McClickNick McClick Posts: 1,003
    edited 2009-10-29 19:32
    Ha! Bill already has Windows XP running on it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Gadget Gangster - Share your Electronic Projects
    edited 2009-10-30 00:30
    I've added a page for this display to my web page:

http://www.rayslogic.com/Propeller/Products/PSB/PSB_Display.htm··

Can now ship 6 to a box (At least, I'm pretty confident I can).· So, limit is increased from 5 to 6.

International shipping rates slightly reduced.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2009-10-30 00:35
    Thanks [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Morpheus does have enough memory to do that...
    Rayman said...
    Great! I think you're one of the few people around who may be able to get a photo going on these things [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.mikronauts.com Please use mikronauts _at_ gmail _dot_ com to contact me off-forum, my PM is almost totally full
    Morpheusdual Prop SBC w/ 512KB kit $119.95, Mem+2MB memory IO board kit $89.95, both kits $189.95
    Propteus and Proteus for Propeller prototyping 6.250MHz custom Crystals run Propellers at 100MHz
    Las - Large model assembler for the Propeller Largos - a feature full nano operating system for the Propeller
  • Luis DigitalLuis Digital Posts: 371
    edited 2009-10-30 19:08
    Ray,

From 1 to 10 (1 - Poor, 10 - Excellent), what is the quality of the Touchscreen?

Do you sell separately Touchscreen?

Thank you.
    edited 2009-10-30 23:03
    I would rate them a 9.· They look perfect when they come to me.· They probably have my fingerprints on them when you get them...

I wouldn't give them a 10 because:

1.· I want to make my stash of "like new" ones more valuable, and
    2.· I have noticed that some areas of the touchscreen are more sensitive than others, presumably from use.

But, I have to say that my #2 point probably doesn't really matter, just something I noticed and have to adapt my code to compensate for...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • MausmanMausman Posts: 16
    edited 2009-11-01 22:22
    Got my displays yesterday. Just need to solder the connector and the chips and programm the prop.
    Displays are looking great, can's see they are used.
    edited 2009-11-03 01:48
    Here are some updated·files for the Paint Demo, VGA Demo, and Graphics Demo...

The lcd driver has been updated so that the pins are fully abstracted and defined in the CON section...

The Paint app is tweaked so it should work with all displays...

Graphics demo has slightly better color match to the original...

Also:· Got an email that my breakout board PCBs have shipped, which is strange because it was supposed to take 1 more week....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2009-11-03 01:55
    Need to send you those connectors for the trade, before the price goes up!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Computers are microcontrolled.

Robots are microcontrolled.
    I am microcontrolled.

But you·can·call me micro.

Want to·experiment with the SX or just put together a cool project?
    SX Spinning light display·
    Want cheap wholesale electronic parts?
    Transistor parts wholesale