Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New 4.3" touchscreen LCD for Propeller: "used" screens almost free w/purchase. - Page 7 — Parallax Forums

New 4.3" touchscreen LCD for Propeller: "used" screens almost free w/purchase.

Comments

• CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
    edited 2009-10-21 20:33
    ·Rayman said...

Touchscreen works!

Go man Go !·

> My 3 year old likes to play with this app, BTW [noparse]:)[/noparse]

····· Great - that means a 52 year old·kid will enjoy it too [noparse]:)[/noparse])

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2009-10-21 21:25
    Ray: i hope you sell some of the Protoboard based breakout boards. I use the Protoboard and Spin Studio. Thanks!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    What electronics need - MORE POWER!!!!!!!
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,797
    edited 2009-10-22 01:07
    Looking at it again, I don't think the pin arrangement is ideal for protoboard either. I think I must have just done what was easiest...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My Prop Info&Apps: ·http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/propeller.htm
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2009-10-22 05:44
    Beautiful job Ray! I can't wait to include one in a project I am wrapping up. It's a monitoring/display unit for an industrial oven used to bake MSD components. It will track temp/humidity for each of the 7 shelves to ensure everything is within spec.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    WBA-TH1M Sensirion SHT11 Module
    Special Olympics Polar Bear Plunge, Mar 20, 2010
  • Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
    edited 2009-10-22 10:55
    Just got my screens Ray..... They look great. Thanks!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim Fouch

FOUCH SOFTWARE
  • FredBlaisFredBlais Posts: 370
    edited 2009-10-22 13:17
    How do you send the video signal to the screen? (from the picture, all I can see is a kind of I2C bus connected, with BL and power signals)
  • mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
    edited 2009-10-22 13:22
    take a look at my breakout board.

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=394005

the i2c bus is for touch detection. The video is sent in parallel using 8 pins for each colour as well as hsync, vsync, and pixel clock.

you can reduce colour depth to 6bit by shorting every other pin of each colour together.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    propmod_us and propmod_1x1 are in stock. Only $30. PCB available for $5

Want to make projects and have Gadget Gangster sell them for you? propmod-us_ps_sd and propmod-1x1 are now available for use in your Gadget Gangster Projects.

Need to upload large images or movies for use in the forum. you can do so at uploader.propmodule.com for free.
    edited 2009-10-22 15:02
    Yeah, the breakout board is covering up the access to the Prop Platform's Prop pins 16..31... I think I'm using 16..23 for HSync, VSync, and colors (just like with the VGA driver)...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • MausmanMausman Posts: 16
    edited 2009-10-22 19:05
    Cant wait to see them here, but does someone has an eagle cad symbol of the fpc connector of the lcd?
    Tia
  • FlyingFishFingerFlyingFishFinger Posts: 461
    edited 2009-10-22 20:07
    Wow, what awesome timing on this whole thread. I'm in charge of a (touch) screen for the dashboard of the new UC Berkeley Solar Car at the moment...could this be the solution??
    If I understand correctly from this and mctrivia's thread, the cost of a system consisting of a) a used touch screen and b) a breakout board with touch encoder is ~ $30 (~$5 for the used display and ~$21 for the breakout board)? Correct me if I'm wrong by all means!
    Other than that, if this fits my application, I can't wait!

Cheers

Rafael

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You've got to play the game.
    You can't win.
    You can't break even, except on a very cold day.
    It doesn't get that cold.
    ~Laws of Thermodynamics~
    edited 2009-10-22 20:27
    Add in some shipping costs, and you've got it! [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Looks like it's going to be cheaper to buy from mctrivia... He may have them ready to ship first too.
    I'm going to make some breakout boards to sell too. But, I'm not exactly sure what the cost will be yet...

Used screens are sold out now, but I think I'll get more in a week or two...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-22 20:37
    you will be getting more screens though right?

Preferably I would like to be able to take orders for people that will be buying from this batch also. I can only offer the very low prices I am now because I have preorders for over 40 boards. Once I order parts I will have to increase prices for those that have not said they will buy.

I had one PCB ordered at the same time ship today and I suspect these breakouts will ship tomorrow.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Want to make projects and have Gadget Gangster sell them for you? propmod-us_ps_sd and propmod-1x1 are now available for use in your Gadget Gangster Projects.

Need to upload large images or movies for use in the forum. you can do so at uploader.propmodule.com for free.
    edited 2009-10-23 00:15
    Mctrivia - is it too late to order a breakout board with touch chip from the $21 batch?

Rafael

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You can't win.
    ~Laws of Thermodynamics~
    edited 2009-10-23 00:22
    nope. i am still offering the $1 hidden discount for prepay also.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• neotericneoteric Posts: 144
    edited 2009-10-23 20:49
    COULD SOMEBODY INSTRUCT ME PLEASE on how to buy these boards. I've emailed, I've posted. What am I missing? I would really like to purchase 3!
    edited 2009-10-23 20:51
    My breakouts are at propmodule.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• neotericneoteric Posts: 144
    edited 2009-10-24 01:07
    Actually, I meant to say Screens, not boards.

HOW DO I order the screens. (I ordered 3 boards...)
    edited 2009-10-24 01:18
    He is temporarily out of stock. Send email to rayman and wait.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2009-10-24 03:04
    I hope to get some more soon. They're being recovered from their poor hosts right now...

The next batch may be the last at the super low cost though... I'm told the price may increase $10 in future batches.
    But, we'll have some breakout boards available by then, and if you look at the competition,
    these things are a steal even at $15 each.

I believe it's even possible for $15 more or so to get ones with the touchscreen replaced with new ones...
    But, I imagine that most people care more about cost than newism...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-24 05:06
    Does the $15 price tag come from the screens being $5 and your breakouts being $10 as opposed to Matt's $21 breakouts? Just curious...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You can't win.
    ~Laws of Thermodynamics~
    edited 2009-10-24 10:39
    Sorry, no. I'm confident my breakout board will be more than $20 [noparse]:)[/noparse]

May be able to do $25, but not sure yet...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • kerrywkerryw Posts: 61
    edited 2009-10-24 17:15
    Hey Ray, your PSB looks great. Any idea when that might be available for purchase? Thanks.

Kerry

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Heaven help me Marge, I'm just not that smart." - Homer Simpson
    edited 2009-10-24 18:26
    No worries. Any combination of these boards / screens is still ridiculously cheap... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You can't win.
    ~Laws of Thermodynamics~
    edited 2009-10-24 21:32
    Just got the final (hopefully) PSB prototypes yesterday...· Need to see if they work...· Still thinking of trying to squeeze in a DS1307 RTC and backup battery somewhere...

BTW:· I'm about to order the breakout boards...· Trying to be clever and save money by combining two different versions of the board with the mono breakout board...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    641 x 815 - 49K
  • CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
    edited 2009-10-24 21:38
    Ray,
    would the RTC /batt addition be the best use of the precious real estate? I mean, for a more sophisticated app, I'd think they'd already be covered. Is there an I/O function that might be better... was thinking along the lines of Matt's breakouts having the extra 2 adc pins ... I seem to always need more 'goes ins and goes outs' lately.

just my 2c's

thanks
    - Howard

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Q*bertQ*bert Posts: 59
    edited 2009-10-24 22:54
    I like the idea of an RTC and battery on board.

A system board with these great displays screams for an on screen clock/timer.
    edited 2009-10-24 23:04
    My suggestion don't but connector on board. Use your or my breakout.

This way if you cant get the same screens you can just make new breakout. Will also probably save board space.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2009-10-25 02:32
    mctrivia said...
    My suggestion don't but connector on board. Use your or my breakout.

This way if you cant get the same screens you can just make new breakout. Will also probably save board space.

This is a good point.· The PSB is really designed specifically for this display.· But, I have a stash of 50 "like new" of these displays.· I'll be happy enough if I sell 50 PSB units.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-25 19:31
    Breakout board just tested successfully with Protoboard.

Was pretty sure it would, but had to make absolutely sure [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Actually, I did have a heck of a time figuring out that I had the counter in a mode that was by default messing with Pin#0, which I'm using for VSync here...· Just have to set the counter to use a pin that's not in use...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    1496 x 1122 - 729K
    edited 2009-10-26 01:35
    Ok, just ordered 150 breakout boards... 100 of the style in the picture above and 50 that plug directly into the Propeller Platform (no jumper wires needed). It's a lot of money, so I hope I didn't mess up! Find out in 12 business days...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔