Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ethernet PHY Accessory board - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Ethernet PHY Accessory board

Comments

• I'd buy a few if you made them.

Cheers,
    Jesse

• @ManAtWork said:
    Ok, nobody seems to be interested. Ken didn't even answer my mail. So there won't be an "official" Ethernet accessory board from Parallax. I stop this project and use the RMII based interface for my own applications, only.

If there is no interest by Parallax, then you will have the marketspace all to yourself. Build it and sell a million! There is no question we need this product and you’ve done most of the hard work already. It would be a shame for this to die.

• Today, the PCBs have arrived. The accessory boards:

and my custom board with Ethernet for my CNC controller:

• Looks interesting ManAtWork. :smile: Hopefully you don't have to wait too long for your parts.

• I've designed them in that way that I have everything in stock. Everything else doesn't work, theese days. Luckily, the parcel with the PCBs has escaped Shenzen before the latest lockdown.

• SMD P&P done

• The accessory board has passed the first smoke test. The modified pinout compared to the Waveshare board caused a bit confusion to my driver code at the beginning. But I have sorted it out and I can now read the MAC address from the EEPROM and receive and send packets.

@avsa242 and @Simonius, I have 10 boards. How many do you want?

• I'll take two... three if another isn't claimed by the time you're ready to ship.

Cheers,
    Jesse

• @ManAtWork said:
    The accessory board has passed the first smoke test. The modified pinout compared to the Waveshare board caused a bit confusion to my driver code at the beginning. But I have sorted it out and I can now read the MAC address from the EEPROM and receive and send packets.

@avsa242 and @Simonius, I have 10 boards. How many do you want?

If you have left, I'll like to buy 2 aswell

• @ManAtWork I'd like an accessory board if you still have some for sale!

• I would also take 2

• 1 for australia please

• ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,614
    edited 2022-03-24 03:06

I might like to buy one as well if you're selling them. I'm in the US.

I'm really surprised Parallax isn't very interested in selling an accessory board like this, considering how much work they did with Ethernet on the P1 in the Spinneret days and considering how much better suited the P2 is for this sort of thing.

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738

There are also KISS boards still on stock. I have to say, I was very busy with other kinds work and couldn't focus on the P2, but I'm now back, start up a project using the P1 to consolidate, next I'll switch over to the P2. So I'll make use of the components designed by ManAtWork I already have and willing to manage the distribution in EU

• Oh, so we finally have higher demand than stock. I know it would be nice to have two boards to be able to communicate between two P2 systems. But as I only have 10 boards at the moment I have to limit the number of boards per person. The boards will be free of charge because writing invoices and handling customs etc. takes time I'd rather invest in something useful like making more boards.

I'd suggest a priorisation scheme...
    1. Simonius (I already promised him one)
    2. Anybody who is willing to contribute implementing protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, ARP)
    3. Anybody who has an active P2 project that would benefit from having wired Ethernet (like Terry's LED controller)
    4. Anybody else who's interesed

So if I limit it to one board per person (unless somebody has a good reason why he needs two) we would have enough for...

• Simonius
    • Jesse (avsa242)
    • rosco_pc
    • Stephen Moraco
    • Tubular
    • Electrodude
    • Terry? (ke4pjw)
    • Me (ManAtWork)
    • Parallax?
    • one left over
  • Hi ManAtWork, I would be interested in that last board if one is still available as I was planning to look into Ethernet as well, but only if it is truly left over and you don't need two boards yourself. For convenience in shipping you could send two to Tubular as I am nearby him anyway.

• Good to see demand :)
    Just one is fine here... have other devices I can test with.
    On the networking stack side of things, I've been working on a device-independent stack at https://github.com/avsa242/network-spin
    It's super rough and early on, as I'm just learning networking at that low of a level now. I've started objects/#includes for constructing/deconstructing ETH II, IP, ARP, UDP and BOOTP/DHCP messages.
    Only tested with an ENC28J60 on the P1 so far, so anxious to see what's involved in implementing a MAC for use with this, and to try it with other devices.

• ManAtWorkManAtWork Posts: 2,049
    edited 2022-03-26 19:29

Ok, so please send me your postal address (Email to info@benezan.de or forum PM) so I can figure out how we handle shipping. It would be a good idea to bundle shipping to Australia and USA so I only have to pay for that once.

On my list are...

• Simonius, Germany
    • Jesse (avsa242), USA
    • Terry (ke4pjw), USA
    • Stephen Moraco, USA
    • Electrodude, USA
    • Michael (VonSzarvas), Hungary
    • Roger and Lachlan (rogloh, Tubular), Australia
    • Robert (rosco_pc), Sweden
  • I'd be a willing recipient of the "one left over" on behalf of Parallax.
    And I'd be happy to help with admin when the time comes, to GitHub and here, plus helping with code if I can.

• @ManAtWork said:
    Ok, so please send me your postal address (Email to info@benezan.de or forum PM) so I can figure out how we handle shipping. It would be a good idea to bundle shipping to Australia and USA so I only have to pay for that once.

On my list are...

• Simonius (I have your address)
    • Jesse (avsa242)
    • rosco_pc
    • Stephen Moraco
    • Tubular
    • Electrodude
    • Terry (ke4pjw)
    • rogloh
    • one left over (Parallax?)

Count shipments to US/Canada and I will ship from here to save postal.

• I have all addresses, now. There are 4 in the USA, 3 in Europe and one in Australia. I'll try to send all out next week.

Thanks @Publison, I bundle all shipments to USA.

• Thank you for this, ManAtWork.

• @ManAtWork said:
    I have all addresses, now. There are 4 in the USA, 3 in Europe and one in Australia. I'll try to send all out next week.

Thanks @Publison, I bundle all shipments to USA.

Thanks @ManAtWork, I got the board now. Hope I can work with it in the coming long Easter weekend

• I picked up this book hoping it might come in handy for this project.

• I have not received the board. Just checking in if others have received theirs.

--Terry

• Yeah I got one a couple of days ago. Took a while to make it over from Europe, but it eventually arrived to Australia.

• I've sent all boards with destination USA to Jim (Publison). There seems to be a delay. USPS tracking number is RM662806985DE. The tracking shows "out for delivery" on April 16th but no progress thereafter. :/

• I have recived the boards and they will all ship Monday.

• Perfect, thanks!

• @Publison said:
    I have received the boards and they will all ship Monday.

Thank you sir! I received mine today. I didn't know we were practically neighbors!

--Terry