Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 Arc8de Project - Page 6 — Parallax Forums

P2 Arc8de Project

Comments

• ColeyColey Posts: 1,108

It's been busy at the show so far...

• Great Shot!

• I only see 7 units?

• The furthest from the camera is turned such that you can’t see the glowing marquee, only the side of the cabinet. There’s 8 there.

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,273
    edited 2021-10-23 13:08

@Publison said:
    I only see 7 units?

8th is there... right at the end by the monitor. Just turned away a little, but you can make out the top grills.

Edit: AJL beat me to it... and gets the highest score award :)

The most popular game is Space Invaders but Jim's multilayer tank game is a close second.

• I bet Jim beat the rest. :)

• Did you guys make the record?

• msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,701
    edited 2021-10-24 00:45

@Coley said:
    The most popular game is Space Invaders but Jim's multilayer tank game is a close second.

what a dick -head ... :) - I want one

@msrobots said:

@Coley said:

what a dick -head ... :) - I want one

I hadn't even noticed :D

• Hi all, event was amazing, so many people wanting them someone even wanted to order 56 iirc for each of his staff, as he gets them something cool each year for xmas, and this is what he wants to get them.
    Everyone who saw it loved everything about it, the games, the design, the build quality, the fact we want to get them into schools so the kids can make an arcade game, the size of them, one guy wanted an 8in1 set for his retro games shop in Scotland, there was a guy who works with the IT departments of 200 schools and wants to help us get them into there to teach with.
    As for the GWR, now that I finally have the cabs, and some good photos of people playing them, I can finally do the application, which could take 16+ weeks as their backlog is quite high at the moment, they are normally up to 12 weeks to process an application, but due to high demand, it's 16+, so we'll know hopefully before the next event which is hopefully Feb next year.

@Baggers said:
    Hi all, event was amazing, so many people wanting them someone even wanted to order 56 iirc for each of his staff, as he gets them something cool each year for xmas, and this is what he wants to get them.
    Everyone who saw it loved everything about it, the games, the design, the build quality, the fact we want to get them into schools so the kids can make an arcade game, the size of them, one guy wanted an 8in1 set for his retro games shop in Scotland, there was a guy who works with the IT departments of 200 schools and wants to help us get them into there to teach with.
    As for the GWR, now that I finally have the cabs, and some good photos of people playing them, I can finally do the application, which could take 16+ weeks as their backlog is quite high at the moment, they are normally up to 12 weeks to process an application, but due to high demand, it's 16+, so we'll know hopefully before the next event which is hopefully Feb next year.

56??

It took me 6 months to make 8!!!!!

• Hi

Well done! Wish I could have been there.
    Any idea how much the people were willing to pay? If the margins are enough I am sure finding a capable engineer or manufacturer could be found. Parallax?

Dave

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,805

I was a bit worried for you when I saw cloth on the tables. Thought that might make the units slide around too much, but sounds like it went well.

@Rayman said:
    I was a bit worried for you when I saw cloth on the tables. Thought that might make the units slide around too much, but sounds like it went well.

I was watching people all day, one of the first things they'd do was pick it up and say how light it was.
    They didn't really move around much once you were playing them, the rubber feet on the cloth was strong enough and the cloth didn't really move much.

@tritonium said:
    Hi

Well done! Wish I could have been there.
    Any idea how much the people were willing to pay? If the margins are enough I am sure finding a capable engineer or manufacturer could be found. Parallax?

Dave

Thanks.
    We didn't really talk price because we did this as a technical demo to help get some traction with P2.
    The truth is my time alone spent on these would make them way too expensive.
    I'm looking into a redesign to reduce parts and make them easier to manufacture.
    The concept is great and those of the female persuasion who played on them commented on the size being just right...... ;)

• I had a draft comment... "Now what is needed is a multiplayer game"

Of course @Baggers was already there!

Nice work you two. Knocked it out of the park!

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133

Awesome job, Jim and Graham. That went really well.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066

Congrats guys!
    So pleased it went so good. You deserve it :)

• I watched a couple of 'walkthrough' vids, looked like a happening/well attended show.

We just got a big laser in-house, hope we can cut some some cabinets one day

• The people really looked interested in having fun. The fact that others wanted large quantities of the cabinets is pretty exciting. Great work!

I may try a 3D printed cabinet. A couple of the machines I've got my hands on right now have the build volume to do it.

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,805

Something like the Shapeoko CNC would be good for making these in quantity...

Once again, thanks everyone.

@Rayman said:
    Something like the Shapeoko CNC would be good for making these in quantity...

I'm designing the standalone version for CNC production, it will help to reduce the number of parts required.

• Any updates on the project?

@Publison said:
    Any updates on the project?

We are waiting for Guiness World Records to come back to us re the application for the WR, Jim can update us on this.

I ordered a CNC router so I can manufacture the cabinets in fewer pieces and I've been redeisgning the cabinet to accomodate the differences in manufacturing between laser cut and CNC routing.
    https://ooznest.co.uk/product/original-workbee-z1plus-cnc-machine/#size-colour

That was delivered Friday so I need to spend the next few week assembling it and calibrating etc before moving on with the new design.

In the meantime I have been writing a simple platform game with a driver that Jim wrote that has sprites and display layers that also has a combined dual LCD and Composite Video output driver ;)

@Coley said:

@Publison said:
    Any updates on the project?

We are waiting for Guiness World Records to come back to us re the application for the WR, Jim can update us on this.

I ordered a CNC router so I can manufacture the cabinets in fewer pieces and I've been redeisgning the cabinet to accomodate the differences in manufacturing between laser cut and CNC routing.
    https://ooznest.co.uk/product/original-workbee-z1plus-cnc-machine/#size-colour

That was delivered Friday so I need to spend the next few week assembling it and calibrating etc before moving on with the new design.

In the meantime I have been writing a simple platform game with a driver that Jim wrote that has sprites and display layers that also has a combined dual LCD and Composite Video output driver ;)

Super, Coley!

We've got Parallax's Epilog laser cutter up here now, so hopefully we will be able to make these cabinets soon.

• Appreciate the update Coley!

• Is it appropriate to ask if there are any kits available at this time?

@moorem34 said:
    Is it appropriate to ask if there are any kits available at this time?

I haven't talked to Coley in a while, so I'm not sure where this is at.

The Epilog laser here hasn't been working. We think it needs a new laser.

I will message Coley and ask him where things are at on his end.

• I WhatsApped Coley and he has yet to unbox his router :D

I one-upped him...I just unboxed an inkjet printer that was delivered May 2019 :D

Craig