Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 Arc8de Project - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

P2 Arc8de Project

Comments

• Gosh, yes!

Although one blessing of ply... there's no plastic protective backing to peel off all those pieces !!! :wink:

• ColeyColey Posts: 1,108

I hate it when real work gets in the way of my project but it has or at least it was. Things have calmed down a bit so I am able to give you an update.

Quite a few of the component parts of the cabinet are two piece and have to be glued together before assembly.

I had a few mishaps with alignment when gluing some of the two piece components so I ended up making jigs for them, they worked great!

This has enabled me to get all the two piece components glued together and I've now completed all of the LCD assemblies.

• Progress! Looks good.

• Well done @Coley!

@Publison said:
    Progress! Looks good.

@JonnyMac said:
    Well done @Coley!

Thank you :)

• Very nice work Coley! :smile: Tubular and I were only talking about this project the other day wondering how it was coming along.

• Ahle2Ahle2 Posts: 1,178

Great work Coley! :smiley:

Did you ever get Phoenix running on the Arc8de? I would love seeing it in action.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066

Looking good Graham!

• Wow Coley looks (and sounds) fantastic. Congrats

• @coley Fun to see your progress. It's exciting!

• @Coley
    Fabulous!
    Lots of good memories triggered. :smiley:

• Good job!

Now make it run Spin Hexagon! ;3

(mapping that to single button controls may require a bit of fiddling with the code, since it's set up for having seperate "confirm" and "abort" buttons. One of them could be mapped to an unused stick direction, but either choice is a bit jank (you certainly don't want "abort" on the stick, but you also want "confirm" on the button). So ideally you'd change it to detect long presses as abort and short presses as confirm, I think)

@rogloh said:
    Very nice work Coley! :smile: Tubular and I were only talking about this project the other day wondering how it was coming along.

Your idea of having a square front display panel that is removeable and held with magnets was super, it works great!

@Ahle2 said:
    Great work Coley! :smiley:

Did you ever get Phoenix running on the Arc8de? I would love seeing it in action.

I have had Phoenix running but not on this cabinet version which is the 8in1 but I will see what I can do this weekend when I have more time.
    PS You did a great job on the sounds... :wink:

@Cluso99 said:
    Looking good Graham!

@Tubular said:
    Wow Coley looks (and sounds) fantastic. Congrats

@ozpropdev said:
    @Coley
    Fabulous!
    Lots of good memories triggered. :smiley:

Thanks.

@"Stephen Moraco" said:
    @coley Fun to see your progress. It's exciting!

I need to build an RGB matrix in somewhere, then it will be exciting :smile:

@Wuerfel_21 said:
    Good job!

(mapping that to single button controls may require a bit of fiddling with the code, since it's set up for having seperate "confirm" and "abort" buttons. One of them could be mapped to an unused stick direction, but either choice is a bit jank (you certainly don't want "abort" on the stick, but you also want "confirm" on the button). So ideally you'd change it to detect long presses as abort and short presses as confirm, I think)

I think that's best suited for the six button cab but I have one assembled so will give it a go this weekend.

This project has been a lot of fun and I've enjoyed working with Baggers, Chip and VonSzarvas to get it over the line.
    Once the 8in1 version is complete I will finish off the standalone version, housing a P2 on it's own rather than sharing 8 cabinets with one P2.
    I expect that coupled with the new P2 Edge will be a whole lot of fun!

• Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,351
    edited 2021-09-07 17:21

@Coley said:

@Wuerfel_21 said:
    Good job!

I think that's best suited for the six button cab but I have one assembled so will give it a go this weekend.

It'd work without any major changes on the standalone, that's for sure (and buttons are somewhat preferable over a stick for left/right), but that game is actually simple enough that it could work on the 8in1 version. Infact, with some code restructuring it could easily run 4 instances at once (1 cog updating all 4 game states and displaylists, 1 for reading the inputs, 1 for audio streaming, then one rendering/output cog for each display)

• Excellent work!

I can't wait to give it a go.

So, who is going to do the 8 in one video?

• One assembled?

Do we have a link to the project files?

• Hmm, anyone got the pinout for the 8-in-1 PCB?

I'm thinking that my VJET graphics library could be pretty easily adjusted for artifact colors (just need to change the color field to 32bit and change the span fill function a bit), which would make it possible to have 8 separate screens without taking up all the cogs (just, like, 6 of them - 4 for rendering, 2 to shuffle the bytes around and pump them onto the DACs). But that wouldn't work if the video pins are arranged in a stupid way where they aren't spread between DAC channels (the two obvious arrangements of having all 8 video pins adjacent or having each head's 3 pins adjacent would work just fine).

These are the vinyl prints for the sides.

and the new marquee (the one on the right is the new one)

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2021-09-24 18:32

Sweet!
    Will it Does it stick well? It's on top of the Lacquer top coat we saw last night?

• Nice! The art suits the project

@Wuerfel_21 said:
    Hmm, anyone got the pinout for the 8-in-1 PCB?

I'm thinking that my VJET graphics library could be pretty easily adjusted for artifact colors (just need to change the color field to 32bit and change the span fill function a bit), which would make it possible to have 8 separate screens without taking up all the cogs (just, like, 6 of them - 4 for rendering, 2 to shuffle the bytes around and pump them onto the DACs). But that wouldn't work if the video pins are arranged in a stupid way where they aren't spread between DAC channels (the two obvious arrangements of having all 8 video pins adjacent or having each head's 3 pins adjacent would work just fine).

Here are the pin assignments...

P32 Cabinet 1 Audio
    P33 Cabinet 1 Video
    P34 Cabinet 1 Buttons (ADC)
    P35 Cabinet 2 Audio
    P36 Cabinet 2 Video
    P37 Cabinet 2 Buttons (ADC)
    P38 Cabinet 3 Audio
    P39 Cabinet 3 Video
    P40 Cabinet 3 Buttons (ADC)
    P41 Cabinet 4 Audio
    P42 Cabinet 4 Video
    P43 Cabinet 4 Buttons (ADC)
    P44 Cabinet 5 Audio
    P45 Cabinet 5 Video
    P46 Cabinet 5 Buttons (ADC)
    P47 Cabinet 6 Audio
    P48 Cabinet 6 Video
    P49 Cabinet 6 Buttons (ADC)
    P50 Cabinet 7 Audio
    P51 Cabinet 7 Video
    P52 Cabinet 7 Buttons (ADC)
    P53 Cabinet 8 Audio
    P54 Cabinet 8 Video
    P55 Cabinet 8 Buttons (ADC)

@Publison said:
    Sweet!
    Will it Does it stick well? It's on top of the Lacquer top coat we saw last night?

Yes it sticks very well, so well you can see the texture/grain of the wood through the vinyl.

• @Coley said:

@Wuerfel_21 said:

P32 Cabinet 1 Audio
    P33 Cabinet 1 Video
    P35 Cabinet 2 Audio
    P36 Cabinet 2 Video
    P38 Cabinet 3 Audio
    P39 Cabinet 3 Video
    P41 Cabinet 4 Audio
    P42 Cabinet 4 Video
    P44 Cabinet 5 Audio
    P45 Cabinet 5 Video
    P47 Cabinet 6 Audio
    P48 Cabinet 6 Video
    P50 Cabinet 7 Audio
    P51 Cabinet 7 Video
    P53 Cabinet 8 Audio
    P54 Cabinet 8 Video

Cool, the video pins are infact evenly spread across DAC channels. So 8-head artifact colors from 2 cogs should work.

Laser engraved instead of the vinyl print?

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,767

This is looking great!

Been wondering... Do you need to find some way to secure it to something so that the whole thing doesn't move around when playing?

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2021-09-24 20:32

@Coley said:

>

How much does the vinyl add to the price? Customer can apply to save labor.

• Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,351
    edited 2021-09-24 21:07

@Wuerfel_21 said:

@Coley said:

@Wuerfel_21 said:

P32 Cabinet 1 Audio
    P33 Cabinet 1 Video
    P35 Cabinet 2 Audio
    P36 Cabinet 2 Video
    P38 Cabinet 3 Audio
    P39 Cabinet 3 Video
    P41 Cabinet 4 Audio
    P42 Cabinet 4 Video
    P44 Cabinet 5 Audio
    P45 Cabinet 5 Video
    P47 Cabinet 6 Audio
    P48 Cabinet 6 Video
    P50 Cabinet 7 Audio
    P51 Cabinet 7 Video
    P53 Cabinet 8 Audio
    P54 Cabinet 8 Video

Cool, the video pins are infact evenly spread across DAC channels. So 8-head artifact colors from 2 cogs should work.

Yep, and I just confirmed that
    a) P2 artifact colors look great
    b) there's enough cycles to interleave 4 independent buffers @ 229MHz _CLKFREQ (64*color burst). Of course using really unrolled code...

Will polish the code for that up and post it, probably tomorrow.

@Rayman said:
    This is looking great!

Been wondering... Do you need to find some way to secure it to something so that the whole thing doesn't move around when playing?

Thanks Ray.

Re Slipping around, I've already got that covered ;)

Notice the 4 rubber feet!

@Publison said:

@Coley said:

>

How much does the vinyl add to the price? Customer can apply to save labor.

Not sure, my friend has a sign making shop and owed me a favour, I will be getting an idea of cost off him and producing a full BOM and where to source everything.

And we will release the whole design once the World Record attempt is out of the way so that people can make their own.

@Wuerfel_21 said:

Will polish the code for that up and post it, probably tomorrow.

Cool, look forward to it!