Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller 2 Live Forum - Open learning and support (topics, speakers and registration!) - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Propeller 2 Live Forum - Open learning and support (topics, speakers and registration!)

Comments

• Well, if I break it up with Cluso99 it will be more of a symposium but hands-on, so a workshop. One hour will go by very very quickly when you are following along yourself. I agree, it it were 60 slides, it would be too long. While I prepare for material and exercises for some kind of structure, I allow for interaction so that while I cover the main points, I won't run out of material if needed. Hopefully we should have a good balance.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    As you've gathered, Peter and I have discussed the upcoming zoom meeting. I will be discussing the P2 ROM Serial/Debugger/Monitor and if time permits the SD Driver. So we'll be doing a "dog and pony" show between us. There is a lot that can be done with just the builtin ROM :)

Peter's presentation has officially been changed to Wednesday June 17, 2020 08:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)!
    Brisbane/Melbourne/Sydney Thursday June 18th 13:00 (1:00 pm)
  • This is great; you two Aussies are really getting this underway for us!

I concur that many people will have hardware ready to follow along with their own hardware. At the beginning of this meeting, you could paste in a URL to the necessary files they might need (I think you mentioned a terminal program, somewhere above). They could get the necessary software downloaded while you get underway.

This format works very well. On Friday we will be completing training of 400+ teachers with Zoom. In one of our meetings we had 80 teachers programming their own hardware concurrently, all asking questions and helping each other. It took this pandemic for all of us to use Zoom and other tools to this extent, I guess.

Ken Gracey
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2020-06-12 03:13
    It's interesting about zoom itself, and once I get a few things completed such as the P2D2s etc I already have plans for the P2 to be used in conjunction with zoom. I want to build a "mouse" that plugs into the PC on USB. Big deal. But while it may be a fully functioning mouse it mainly is a big lighted dome on top that you can tap or push with your hand, and all around the mouse are little microphones feeding into the P2. Can you guess what it does? Sure, there is some interface work on the PC side of things with zoom, but it will be well worth it, extremely useful, and a lot of fun. It will make zoom go zoom.
    I use PST (Parallax Serial Terminal - comes with P1 PropTool download) for my serial terminal on the PC.
    It's really basic but it works and that's all that matters :)
    So that's what I'll be using in the demos.
    For those that want to follow along, will anyone be using a P2D2?

This does not matter for just going straight into the ROM but it will matter if we get to running some programs where the oscillator is setup to use the xtal.

Some of my code auto-detects the P2EVAL vs P2D2 because I have a have added a 10K pulldown on P25. P25 is close to a GND pin on the header.
    Those who have P2D2, can you put a 5K-50K pulldown resistor on P25, or do I need to post code specific for the P2D2?

I have just realised that pnut, and PropTool beta, probably do not support the P2D2 which uses a 12MHz xtal instead of the 20MHz used on the P2EVAL. This only applies for spin2 programs as pnut/PropTool automatically calculates the optimum clock setting and then sets it up. I guess we forgot about P2D2 using a different xtal.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    I have just realised that pnut, and PropTool beta, probably do not support the P2D2 which uses a 12MHz xtal instead of the 20MHz used on the P2EVAL. This only applies for spin2 programs as pnut/PropTool automatically calculates the optimum clock setting and then sets it up. I guess we forgot about P2D2 using a different xtal.
    ?
    Current designs of P2D2 use Si5351 to generate 20.000MHz P2 clock, from either 25MHz xtal (Si5351A eval boards), or 26MHz GPS TXCO (cheapest, low ppm source) - so sysclk should not be an issue.

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2020-06-12 06:28
    Only the original P2D2 with linear regs had a 12MHz crystal. After that I used the Si5351 clkgen to generate whatever frequencies I needed (since nobody could decide), in this case 20MHz to make it compatible with the eval board. BTW, the default frequency can be selected within the UB3 USB chip which loads the Si5351 up during reset. There are a couple of tables preloaded, or more can be loaded over USB, or even loaded in from the P2 through the I2C bus. Once the P2 is running it has control of the I2C bus and can directly load the clkgen if need be (not normally required).

Another advantage of the P2D2 is that it detects only a valid DTR load pulse before resetting the P2 and automatically overrides Flash and SD boot so that you don't have to disable these to load new code.

If I can detect the I2C RTC or UB3 at boot, then I know it's a P2D2 since the P2 EVAL doesn't have any of these extras on it.

Here's TAQOZ boot report detecting the P2D2
    KERNEL            Parallax P2  *TAQOZ* Extensible Firmware  V2.5 'CHIP' 200MHz 200604-2300
    MODULES:
       4796 *DASM51*        8051 DISASSEMBLER 200604-1000 
       2498 *DISK*          SD DISK REPORTING & FORMATTING TOOLS 190800-0000
       4756 *TAFFS*         TAQOZ FAT32 FILE SYSTEM for SD CARD plus VIRTUAL MEMORY  190800-0000
       1414 *SPIRAM*        LY68L6400 8MB SPI RAM ACCESS 191020-0000
       1774 *DECOMPILER*    A decompiler for TAQOZ 190825-0000
       1238 *RTC*           RV-3028 RTC DATE and TIME 190800-0000
        622 *SMARTPINS*     SMARTPIN FUNCTIONS and drive modes 190800-0000
        390 *P2CLOCK*       P2 CLOCK CONTROL 190800-0000
       2278 *ANSI*          ANSI TERMINAL SUPPORT 200410-0000
        392 *EXTEND*        Primary kernel extensions 200608-1800
       5748 *SPIFLASH*
    MEMORY MAP
      CODE:         08594  34,196 bytes
      WORDS:        1DA0C  9,566 bytes
      DATA:         01B12  68 bytes
      ROOM:                87,160 bytes
    HARDWARE
      PCB           P2      (P2D2)
      CLOCK IN      20.000000MHZ
    DEVICES
      SD CARD       63 GB  SANDISK   SD SC64G REV$80 #35190404 DATE:2018 /10
      SPI FLASH     16MB WINBOND $EF40_1800 #4837448895114529879
      USB           Silicon LaBS, EFM8UB3 P2D2v4  USB Bridge UB3_2.5.7A, 0005
    I2C DEVICES
      $36           P2D2 UB USB+SUPPORT  UUID:039BAD5834DEE811A8D742B1A51F80DA
      $A4           RV-3028 RTC
      $C4           Si5351A CLOCK GEN
                    2020/06/12 FRI 16:27:58   39.64'C   Vdd=1.830V
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TAQOZ#

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    edited 2020-06-12 08:15
    Another advantage of the P2D2 is that it detects only a valid DTR load pulse before resetting the P2 and automatically overrides Flash and SD boot so that you don't have to disable these to load new code.
    :)
    .. Plus UB3 has Analog channel reading, so it can check Supply voltages and measure temperature.

It also has a 32b capture counter that can confirm P2 clock settings, to UB3 clock accuracy (usually < 0.1% USB locked, better if external OSC used ) - good enough to catch most clock setting errors.
    Addit: The PC can also check it has a P2D2.UB3 connected, as status echo has a simple signature : RTS loops to CTS and DTR loops to DSR, and [DCD,RI] are a 2 bit counter that increments on toggle of either RTS or DTR.

edited 2020-06-12 08:02
    Peter & I just did a zoom test. Worked nicely once we got used to it :)
    Come Wednesday/Thursday we'll be ready :)
  • I'll log in a half-hour early before the first meeting so you may test the Zoom system a bit further, too. We'll go over a few more things to pay attention to.

Ken Gracey
  • 11pm east coast time? I hope I'm not sleeping.
  • David Betz wrote: »
    11pm east coast time? I hope I'm not sleeping.
    Peter was originally going to do it at 11:00 pm AEST, 6:00 AM PDT, that would have been much worse for you! Drink more coffee!!! ;)
  • That’s would have been 9am for me. Perfectly fine.
  • In one of our meetings we had 80 teachers programming their own hardware concurrently, all asking questions and helping each other. It took this pandemic for all of us to use Zoom and other tools to this extent, I guess.

Ken, that's awesome. Yes, a whole lot of what I would normally have traveled for has been fairly reasonably done with Zoom and similar tools.

I sense a sort of reset happening right now. Largely a good thing, IMHO.

• I’m a maybe later adopter, a P1 guy curious about P2 at the core level. No hardware to follow along though. Do you welcome lurkers if we promise not to ask dumb questions?
    That’s would have been 9am for me. Perfectly fine.
    Ouch, yeah, time zone dyslexic, it's me that needs more coffee...
  • I’m a maybe later adopter, a P1 guy curious about P2 at the core level. No hardware to follow along though. Do you welcome lurkers if we promise not to ask dumb questions?

Are you kidding me!? Of course you are welcome. Just don't lurk too much, join in. Funny thing is that sometimes dumb questions aren't so dumb......sometimes :)
    11pm east coast time? I hope I'm not sleeping.

It's midnight my time. I probably won't be able to make this one live, but look forward to seeing the recording.
  • SuracSurac Posts: 176
    edited 2020-06-13 14:51
    Bummer.
    5 am in the morning. i have to wait for the youtube version of thi.

Also my computer would not rum Zoom. My Company forbid to rum Zoom because of security blablabla.
  • July 23rd has now been booked by TeamOz to present MicroPython for Propeller2

The first post of this thread has been updated. Registration link will be provided after we confirm the time.

We have about five presentations we can run between now and then; who else would like to share what they've got in the works? I have two very interesting ones in the queue (Smart Pins, ESP8266) but no firm dates have been set for them as of yet.

Ken Gracey
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    July 23rd has now been booked by TeamOz to present MicroPython for Propeller2

The first post of this thread has been updated. Registration link will be provided after we confirm the time.

We have about five presentations we can run between now and then; who else would like to share what they've got in the works? I have two very interesting ones in the queue (Smart Pins, ESP8266) but no firm dates have been set for them as of yet.

Ken Gracey
    I asked this before but didn't get a reply. What C compiler is TeamOz using for their port of MicroPython?

It's a question to ask TeamOz, but I'm sure they'll address it at the presentation.

Ken Gracey
  • Surac wrote: »
    Bummer.
    5 am in the morning. i have to wait for the youtube version of thi.

Also my computer would not rum Zoom. My Company forbid to rum Zoom because of security blablabla.

YouTube links will be provided on the first post in this thread. We know this time is inconvenient for our Europeans.

Ken Gracey
    Tubular wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »

Ken Gracey
    I asked this before but didn't get a reply. What C compiler is TeamOz using for their port of MicroPython?

David its p2gcc
    Interesting. I thought p2gcc was no longer being developed or supported. Wouldn't it be better to use one of the other options?

Please start a new thread to discuss.

- Ken
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Tubular wrote: »

Ken Gracey

David its p2gcc
    Interesting. I thought p2gcc was no longer being developed or supported. Wouldn't it be better to use one of the other options?

Please start a new thread to discuss.

- Ken

New thread started.
  • I could do a presentation on multi-language development with flexgui/fastspin. I've tentatively suggested 2pm July 1 Pacific time; that's 7am Brisbane time (July 2, I assume) and 11pm Berlin time, which is far from ideal, but I'm not sure how much wiggle room people have in their schedules. I'm open to other suggestions for times (or topics)!
  • I'm in. Happy to talk about revisions to the Smart-Pins documentation.--Jon
  • We've got a few more presentations in the queue, placed up top until we finalize details.

Ken Gracey
  • Thank you Eric Smith for the "Multi-language development with fastspin/flexgui" presentation, which is now open for registration by following the link in the first post in this thread.

Ken Gracey
  • RossHRossH Posts: 5,333
    Sadly, I will be unable to attend this presentation live. Our satellite internet connection is simply not up to the task. Today it is particularly slow - this happens periodically, and I have never discovered a good reason for it.

I will however try and review the presentation after the event.

Ross.