Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop2 Analog Test Chip Arrived! - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

Prop2 Analog Test Chip Arrived!

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    Nice Chip! Looking forward to later tonight's news! :)

I'm really hoping the delta-sigma ADC works well.
  • cgracey wrote: »

If this test chip works what's the next step? Will you make a second test chip with at least one COG on it?

• Looking forward to see the analog results. :)
  • This is great news! The P2 analog test chip passed the smoke test, and it has a heartbeat! Things are getting exciting now.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    cgracey wrote: »
    We got the test chip boards built today.
    Here's the 20MHz internal RC oscillator (mode $00):
    Here's the 20KHZ internal RC oscillator (mode $01):
    These were designed so that fixed capacitors and resistors dominate the RC period. They both have low temperature coefficients. You can see how close they are in frequency to the design goal.
    Cool, a pulse !! - nice and close to targets too.. :)
    How does this vary with temperature & time & Vcc ? - ie the Can of freeze and a soldering iron quick test -> > 70'C ?

Can you leave one running, and log the frequency over a few days - normally, you get a lazy temperature tracking drifts.

• However you ended up soldering such a fine pitch, you rocked it.
    edited 2016-11-06 10:49
    User Name wrote: »
    However you ended up soldering such a fine pitch, you rocked it.

At Parallax there are big magnifiers and fine-tipped soldering irons that make it really easy. Water soluble flux in needle bottles helps, too. With those kinds of tools, you could solder even much smaller things. It's amazing what's possible with good tools. Tyrell and I soldered those. He did most of the work, just because he's so much faster, doing those things every day.

By the way, I went to sleep last night because I was too tired, after all the driving. So, I'm back to work now.
  • It looks really great, Chip!

I was trying to work out the headers, I'm guessing you have some kind of long male headers that both let you plug into a P123-A9 and probe the signal at top as well?
    Tubular wrote: »
    It looks really great, Chip!

I was trying to work out the headers, I'm guessing you have some kind of long male headers that both let you plug into a P123-A9 and probe the signal at top as well?

That's right. It's a header with long pins out the top and bottom. It solders from the underside.
    Here's the Prop123-A9 board with the Prop2 test board plugged in:

Prop123_A9_Prop2_Test.jpg
    2006 x 1362 - 561K
    edited 2016-11-06 07:25
    Here's the RESn pin responding to pulses. It was designed to ignore 100ns or smaller pulses and trigger on 200ns or larger pulses. You can see the trip point is at ~150ns:

pulse_100ns.jpgpulse_200ns.jpg

I think this was one of Jmg's suggestions.
    1028 x 832 - 168K
    1192 x 930 - 201K
    So far, everything is checking out, though the PLL seems a little over-reactive. I'll need to simulate that some more and try to figure out what's wrong. It's certainly something in the loop filter, which is just a resistor and a cap. There's a strange 60/40 duty cycle issue, as well. Perhaps the layout is not friendly to the intended circuit.

The analog pins seem to work perfectly, so far. I've tried out the DAC modes and they all work great. I need to do some ADC testing, as well.
    edited 2016-11-06 08:59
    So far, everything is checking out, though the PLL seems a little over-reactive. I'll need to simulate that some more and try to figure out what's wrong. It's certainly something in the loop filter, which is just a resistor and a cap. There's a strange 60/40 duty cycle issue, as well. Perhaps the layout is not friendly to the intended circuit.

The analog pins seem to work perfectly, so far. I've tried out the DAC modes and they all work great. I need to do some ADC testing, as well.

Sounds like great progress :)
    What is the PFD range, on this PLL design ?
    What exactly does "a little over-reactive" mean ?

Is it over-reactive on a NCO generated signal, vs a clean signal (crystal oscillator, or NCO binary setting) ?

As I've mentioned before, it's common for PLLs to run a VCO at 2x the required output, and use a local fast /2 to give exactly 50% outputs.
    That's usually hidden in the docs a little, as that /2 is fixed and invisible to the equations.

If you do need to re-spin the PLL/PFD, I'd suggest extending the /M/N ranges ( & Xtal amplifier spec) to support the VCTCXOs (Clipped Sine).

I see these continue to fall in price, NEW at Digikey is this family.. common values are 19.2/26/27MHz etc

TG2016SBN 19.2000M-TCGNBM0 EPSON VCTCXO 19.2000MHZ $0.64500/1000 Clipped Sine, 500ppb 1.4mA (2.00mm x 1.60mm)
    edited 2016-11-06 09:01
    So far, everything is checking out, though the PLL seems a little over-reactive.
    I wonder how sensitive this is to Vcc decoupling & Vcc ?
    Can you easily vary Vcc over a range ? Is the PLL Vcc locally generated ?

jmg wrote: »
    So far, everything is checking out, though the PLL seems a little over-reactive.
    I wonder how sensitive this is to Vcc decoupling & Vcc ?
    Can you easily vary Vcc over a range ? Is the PLL Vcc locally generated ?

The VCO runs at 1.8V and the power is filtered on the die. The PLL looks looks very jittery in some cases, and not others. I don't understand what the issue is, yet.
    edited 2016-11-06 10:25
    I've been testing the pin ADC and it seems to be working quite well. I'm using the ADC to digitize an incoming analog signal from my function generator and then those samples are going to the other analog pin in DAC mode. In the pictures, the top signal is the function generator and the bottom signal is the ADC sample going out the DAC in the adjacent pin.

Here is an analog-to-digital-to-analog conversion at 4 bits (16 clocks) per sample (5 MSPS):

ada4.jpg

Here is 8 bits (256 clocks, 312.5kSPS):

ada8.jpg

And here is 12 bits (4,096 clocks, 39kSPS), which the scope can't do justice to:

ada12.jpg

Here are the programs:
    ' 4-bit analog to digital to analog, 5M samples/second

dat	org

dirh	#5			'dac enable

wrpin	##%100011<<15,#4	'adc on

wrpin	##%0001<<28+%01100_0,#3	'count adc highs
    	wxpin	#16,#3			'16 clocks per sample
    	dirh	#3			'enable counter

setse1	#%01<<6+3		'se1 triggers on adc sample

loop	waitse1				'wait adc sample
    	rdpin	y,#3			'get adc sample
    	setnib	x,y,#3			'set nib in dac mode
    	wrpin	x,#5			'set dac
    	jmp	#loop			'loop

x	long	%10100<<16	'dac mode
    	y	long	0		'sample buffer

' 8-bit analog to digital to analog, 312.5k samples/second

dat	org

dirh	#5			'dac enable

wrpin	##%100011<<15,#4	'adc on

wxpin	#256,#3			'256 clocks per sample

setbyte	x,y,#1			'set nib in dac mode
    	wrpin	x,#5			'set dac
    	jmp	#loop			'loop

y	long	0		'sample buffer

' 12-bit analog to digital to analog, 19.5k samples/second

dat	org

wrpin	##%101<<18+%01_00011_0,#5	'12-bit pwm dithered dac
    	wxpin	##4096,#5			'4,096 clocks per sample
    	dirh	#5				'enable dac

wrpin	##%100011<<15,#4		'adc on

wrpin	##%0001<<28+%01100_0,#3		'count adc highs
    	wxpin	##4096,#3			'4,096 clocks per sample
    	dirh	#3				'enable counter

setse1	#%01<<6+3			'se1 triggers on adc sample

loop	waitse1					'wait adc sample

rdpin	x,#3				'get adc sample
    	shl	x,#4				'shift it up
    	wypin	x,#5				'set dac
    	jmp	#loop				'loop

x	res	1			'sample buffer

2194 x 1684 - 571K
    2098 x 1632 - 435K
    2042 x 1548 - 495K
  • Very cool, Chip!
    Things are looking up! Exciting!
  • Cool pictures Chip! :)
    edited 2016-11-06 11:41
    Here's what I've been looking forward to trying...

The ADC has 1x, 10x, 25x, 50x, and 100x modes. At 100x, 33mV is full scale. You can capacitively couple a signal into the pin and it will bias it at center. The AC of the signal can then be digitized.

Here is a 20mV peak-to-peak sawtooth wave being digitized to 8 bits by the ADC at 100x and then played back through the DAC:

ada8_20mv.jpg

I turned on 'averaging' on the scope, because there was too much noise on the input (and, hence, the output) to make out much, otherwise. You can see, though, that the 20mV signal (top) is being digitized and output (bottom).
    ' 8-bit analog to digital to analog, 312.5k samples/second

dat	org

dirh	#5			'dac enable

wrpin	##%100111<<15,#4	'adc on

wxpin	#256,#3			'256 clocks per sample

setbyte	x,y,#1			'set byte in dac mode
    	wrpin	x,#5			'set dac
    	jmp	#loop			'loop

y	long	0		'sample buffer

1145 x 921 - 239K
    David Betz wrote: »

If this test chip works what's the next step? Will you make a second test chip with at least one COG on it?

If this proves out, we are ready for the full enchilada.
  • cgracey wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »

If this proves out, we are ready for the full enchilada.
    Wow! That's great! It looks like the test chip is working pretty well. Congratulations!!

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,800
    Glad to hear it's working.
    A lot of other chip's I've seen need external capacitors and sometimes a resistor around the crystal. Maybe this one does too?
  • Congrats Chip! I'm really happy to see the results you have achieved so far. I hope the issues will be minor and easy to fix.
    The VCO runs at 1.8V and the power is filtered on the die. The PLL looks looks very jittery in some cases, and not others. I don't understand what the issue is, yet.

Do you have access to the VCO voltage control node, to sweep it externally ?
    Maybe also add a series R to the OscOutput, to reduce the ringing currents, and so reduce Vcc ripple.
    I'm using the ADC to digitize an incoming analog signal from my function generator and then those samples are going to the other analog pin in DAC mode.
    Can you add notes to those around what the expected DAC resolution is for each, and what DAC mode is being tested.
    DAC results seem to be always coarse ?
    (IIRC DAC has Fast and slower modes ?)

Have you tested the DAC(s) using a slow triangle digital sweep ?

edited 2016-11-06 19:49
    Rayman wrote: »
    A lot of other chip's I've seen need external capacitors and sometimes a resistor around the crystal. Maybe this one does too?
    I'm not sure Chip is testing the Crystal Analog side yet ?
    Common is to have a bias resistor internally, which needs to be quite high if targeting 32kHz modes.
    The P1 has a choice a few CAP values, maybe P2 is the same ?
    (but with lower Caps, to match the higher targeted crystals)

Another detail worth checking on the Xtal Amplifier, is the AC coupled Sine Amplitude threshold (will vary a little with MHz)
    The Clipped Sine Oscillator modules usually spec > 0.8V p-p into 10K//10pF, with a source impedance < 470 Ohms
  • Nice going, Chip!

The sine wave input appears to dip down below zero - is that to deliberately test slightly beyond the rails? If so looks like its working well. Being able to pick up that 20mv 20khz signal in a 100x mode is really quite impressive

Not sure whether the dithering is working quite right though, unless its some CRO artefact
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Looking good :)
  • Hi Chip,

Very nice! I'm happy to see that the P2 project is progressing rapidly.

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço
    Rayman wrote: »

Like the Prop1, this has built-in loading caps. You can select between 15p and 30pf per leg. Effectively in series, that means 7.5pf and 15pf overall loading. There is only one level of drive strength and a fixed feedback resistance of ~1M ohms.
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738
    Chip, you definitely deserve better scope! Congrates!