Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to kill a P2 video driver (and probably USB etc)... - Page 7 — Parallax Forums

How to kill a P2 video driver (and probably USB etc)...

123457»

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,170

Chip,
    Exactly where does the internal clock circuits tap into the crystal oscillator loop?

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133

@evanh said:
    Chip,
    Exactly where does the internal clock circuits tap into the crystal oscillator loop?

There is a sense inverter on XI that feeds the PLL. Should have put a Schmitt in like JMG said to.

• @cgracey said
    There is a sense inverter on XI that feeds the PLL. Should have put a Schmitt in like JMG said to.

Meh. Cut yourself some slack, Chip. So much of the P2 was done darned near perfectly. Besides, there is always the P3! Encore? :)

edited 2021-04-20 00:15

@cgracey said:
    There is a sense inverter on XI that feeds the PLL.

That's what I was expecting. And in the docs it says this of the XI source select:

CC != %00, allow 5ms for crystal to stabilize before switching to XI

It seems there is at least the desire to also have XI as a clock input other than crystal feedback.

However, I've now soldered wires onto the XI input and GND on an Eval Board and tested HUBSET #%00_10 with a 1 MHz square wave inputted but, sadly, no action from the Prop2. :( The 1 MHz to XI looks good on the scope. By commenting out said HUBSET, the Prop2 under test comes back to life - running from RCFAST. So I haven't killed the chip yet. :)

PS: Here's the DUT source code:

dat     org
            hubset  #%00_10         'XI input from external clock gen

rep @.rend, #0
            drvnot  #56         'toggle pin P56
            waitx   ##1_000_000
    .rend

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    edited 2021-04-20 00:23

@evanh said:
    It seems there is at least the desire to also have XI as a clock input other than crystal feedback.

but CC=%00 disables the Xtal amplifier and it disables the XI buffer,
    Docs state : %00 XI ignored

Your comment XI input from external clock gen is wishful thinking, not what actually happens in HW :)

so you need anything above %00 to activate XI

edited 2021-04-20 00:28

I think the docs need changed too. There is too much hinting at %00 having a function, when it has none at all.

@evanh said:
    I think the docs need changed too. There is too much hinting at %00 having a function.

It does have a function :)
    It powers everything down, ie both the XI-XO Osc amplifier and the XI buffer amplifier so the Icc does not care what level those pins have.
    The Xtal buffer draws significant current in the linear region.

That's XO, not XI.

@evanh said:
    That's XO, not XI.

There are two buffers in any Xtal oscillator.
    One between XI-XO that activates the crystal, but there is another buffer, often overlooked, that has to take the sine wave, and square it up.
    That buffer needs to also be disabled, if you want low power from the pins (or you need to drive XI to a known digital level)

I guess Chip could have added a light pulldown to XI, and kept the XI buffer enabled, as an alternate power saving approach, but that was not done.

Something to clarified in the docs.

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133

When mode %00 is selected, the inverter and feedback resistor are turned off and XI is disconnected from the sense inverter (which should have been a Schmitt trigger).

Thanks. I've added a small comment to the silicon doc saying that %CC = %01 is required with an external clock source.