Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum update progress report - Page 17 — Parallax Forums

Forum update progress report

1111213141517»

Comments

• I thought the slowness and lagging issues were fixed, but the editor keeps freezing and I keep getting a long script is running error message when trying to post a message.

I am using IE11.

• @Genetix said:
    I am using IE11.

I think that may be your problem.

• Wuerfel_21,

I like that IE saves bookmarks as individual files.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,091

It definitely still happens. If I turn on scripting (I can't click the edit button without scripting) and do things on the forum, after a while the browser (Firefox) will eventually start bogging down. And it just gets worse until I close the browser - which defaults back to disabled scripting so all is good again.

• @evanh said:
    It definitely still happens. If I turn on scripting (I can't click the edit button without scripting) and do things on the forum, after a while the browser (Firefox) will eventually start bogging down. And it just gets worse until I close the browser - which defaults back to disabled scripting so all is good again.

Do you see any dialogue boxes which would indicate what's wrong? Sometimes the browsers deliver diagnostic information. I know that when I see a page not responding in Chrome and the browser agrees it shows me a box that confirms that. Oh and did you change your antivirus programming settings? Sometimes they get overly involved in what we browse. And then again it might be a bug in the browser.

It now doesn't progress to script timeout as it first did, for me. But I also quit the browser as soon I notice the slowdown.

BTW: It always seems to be during re-editing of existing posts. But that's likely just because scripting gets enabled then.

edited 2021-09-06 02:39

@TonyB_ said:
    ... I had to reinstall 98SE when XP SP3 stopped booting (no discs available for the latter).

Oh, Tony,
    If you want a free (money) version of Windoze10 then the existing XP licence number will work I believe. I had presumed, like me, you didn't want to use XP or later. Too spy-ee.

There is a full-install procedure listed on M$'s website. They don't publicise it any longer but they left the free upgrade feature open-ended ... https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• @AwesomeCronk said:
    I just find it awesome that you are working with Windows 98SE in 2021!

You are? I have a Dell Dimension running Windows 98SE when not running Linux. Both run fine there.

Bah! Just lost a big posting when turning on scripting. :( Would be good if forum software didn't need any scripts.

• @evanh said:
    Bah! Just lost a big posting when turning on scripting. :( Would be good if forum software didn't need any scripts.

Hows that again? I think I missed something. How did you lose a post? Check your saved drafts.

That's a script doing that.

• @evanh said:
    That's a script doing that.

Hello!
    And that's what I mean. You indicated that a script is doing that. What else is doing that? What other indicators do you see? As for your missing post, did check to see if there was anything in the drafts folder to see if it was there?

• I have switched to Chrome and I haven't had issues but now I am experience lagging so what changed?

• This site uses a lot of Javascript to manage details in the user interface. Things here will break if Javascript is disabled on your browser. You should also use a current version of Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Safari or Brave browser. Older browsers will likely be unable to run some of the scripts that use newer Javascript features, which will break things on this site.

As for browser performance issues, I would recommend that you use the Developer Tools that are embedded in the browser to help diagnose the problem. Open the developer console and check for error messages. You can use the developer tools->Network tab to see the timing of the browser loading the resources needed to render the page. This page will measure how long it takes to load these resources. For example, I am seeing about 3.8 seconds to reload this page with all browser caching disabled. With caching enabled, it's just over 1 second.

edited 2022-01-24 22:51

Website broken is normal expectation for me in the wider web. I ignore most of it, particularly the so-called Web2.0. Don't even know what I'm missing. ;) I see it as just poor implementation not having fall-backs.

• I thought I was using Chrome but I am actually using Firefox.

When I open up the Web Developer Tools, I see errors in the Console tab.

This page uses the non standard property "zoom". Consider using calc() in the relevant property values, or using "transform" along with "transform-origin: 0 0".
    Source map error: request failed with status 403     [Many on this page.]
    Some cookies are misusing the recommended "SameSite" attribute