Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum update progress report - Page 12 — Parallax Forums

Forum update progress report

Comments

• I do like the participated button, could we get one to just show posts/threads containing a NEW in the text, so new threads or new posts in existing threads?

Mike

• ... could we get one to just show posts/threads containing a NEW in the text, so new threads or new posts in existing threads?

That's really not necessary, since those threads appear only at the top of the recent discussions list.

-Phil

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2021-02-06 01:43

@"Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)" said:

... could we get one to just show posts/threads containing a NEW in the text, so new threads or new posts in existing threads?

That's really not necessary, since those threads appear only at the top of the recent discussions list.

-Phil

I am seeing it too I think. Where the old forum only listed the new threads and those with new posts at the top it seems we are getting other there too.
    Also the summary is taking up more space so all I see for most posts for the categories is the announcements where I used to see discussion threads too.
    But this is minor compared to the response issue.

It's great to see and use the formatting icons (bold, italic, etc). The smilies, links and images is great to see up there too. Perhaps the tooltip for the link could say "link" instead of "url" which is more technical - link seems more common especially in email software.

Could a code icon be added? - I know it's in the format icon but I think it would be a help to newbies. A quote icon would also be of use as I often use these myself which includes breaking up a quoted post. I'll need to relearn what they will be now.

None of these are show stoppers so thankyou to @VonSzarvas and @Wuerfel_21 for your untiring work :)

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,091

The new editor is ruthless on white spaces. You can't even add blank lines. :(

• @evanh said:
    The new editor is ruthless on white spaces. You can't even add blank lines. :(

Really?          Ok.         I'm cheating with unbreakable spaces.

Posting code is broken - indentation is lost, breaks into italics.
    And I was beginning to work with the formatting.
    https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1516420/#Comment_1516420

• @Cluso99 said:

If you want it to actually work, you need to put three backticks around it:

```
    [code goes here]
    ```

edited 2021-02-06 13:18

@Wuerfel_21 said:

@Cluso99 said:

If you want it to actually work, you need to put three backticks around it:

```
    [code goes here]
    ```

So can the formatting code icon be fixed to insert 3 backtics instead of 1 ?

And it seems there is no backtick on the iPad :(

• For now, you could click the code button three times

• @Cluso99 said:
    So can the formatting code icon be fixed to insert 3 backtics instead of 1 ?

If you paste your code first, select it and then press the code button, it works.

I posted atweak to make it put the three backticks on a blank selection a few pages earlier...

@VonSzarvas said:

For now, you could click the code button three times

Thanks @VonSzarvas
    That's a temporary solution. Noticed it needs to be on it's own line so when it becomes time to add it in to the formatting icon it should probably have the between the two sets of 3 ticks.
    I've gone back and edited my post and voila, it works. Now I have nicely formatted code and the italics make sense because it's parsing the code. It's a nice touch so IIRC thanks to @Wuerfel_21 for this.

• The proper Spin highlighting isn't even in yet. (There have been some difficulties, but with the plain editor these seem to have went away)

Has @VonSzarvas got any ETA on when it can be worked on?

• @"Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)" said:

... could we get one to just show posts/threads containing a NEW in the text, so new threads or new posts in existing threads?

-Phil

No they don't.

I regular try to follow all threads on a daily basis and using recent threads you have some yellow NEW, some gray NEW and threads in between, not having a NEW in them.

It would be nice to filter out those already read, so one has just new posts. A lot of forums offer this, so I think Vanilla might has this feature also.

Maybe something like 'most recent post in the last 48 hours'?

Mike

• @Cluso99 on iOS, and I think iPadOS as well, tap the numbers button on your keyboard and then hold down on the single quote. It should pop up a menu of similar symbols. Without releasing the screen, slide your finger over to the back tick and release.

Frustrating as can be but doable.

@AwesomeCronk
    Thank you. Never knew that. There’s a group of characters that explode like that :)

• No problem Cluso!

• msrobots: I regular try to follow all threads on a daily basis and using recent threads you have some yellow NEW, some gray NEW and threads in between, not having a NEW in them.

Not sure why you're seeing that. I never do unless I've just read one of the threads amidst the new ones. Typically, I'll read those among the new ones I'm interested in, then Mark All Viewed and do a screen refresh (Cmd-R on my Mac, or Ctrl-R on a PC). The next time there are new ones, there are no non-new ones in their midst.

-Phil

• Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,351
    edited 2021-02-07 19:34

When the first line in a code block is blank, its contents disappear into the ether! (try quoting this post)

• @Wuerfel_21 said:
    When the first line in a code block is blank, its contents disappear into the ether! (try quoting this post)

Whoa! That’s strange...

• Is it possible to do a search in just one forum area?

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2021-02-09 04:38

Go to Google. Search for

your search terms forums.parallax.com/name-of-forum-area

For example:

"spin compiler" forums.parallax.com/propeller-1-multicore-microcontroller

-Phil

• Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2021-02-09 18:26

This morning when I logged in, the forums seem to have lost it's memory of threads I have read. In the Propeller 2 forum I was all caught up late last night, this morning it's telling me every thread for several pages are new or have new replies, stuff that was posted/last updated well before yesterday.
    It's not everything, because some sub forum areas look fine. It's like it thinks my last visit was ages ago or something? I doubled checked that I was logged in too.

Edit: after posting this, it suddenly corrected itself. /sigh

• @"Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)" said:
    Go to Google. Search for

For example:

-Phil

That works nicely but it would be even better to not have to leave the forum pages to do that search

• @DiverBob said:

@"Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)" said:
    Go to Google. Search for

For example:

-Phil

That works nicely but it would be even better to not have to leave the forum pages to do that search

If you want to, you can set site-specific searches up as separate engines in your browser.

In Vivaldi, I have set it such that when I type, say, "gp hyperram" into the omnibar, it will do a google search for "hyperram site:parallax.com"

I actually have had this for quite a while, as the previous search, while based on google custom search, was kinda dysfunctional, so ye.

• Hello!
    I just offered a comment in this one, https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/172887/cody-computer and all of sudden when I finished and posted something strange happened... Basically the formatting on the rest of the comment changed. I'm wondering why because no Markdown was used in the formatting.

• @"Buck Rogers" it kind of looks like you bumped the bold button halfway through.

• No, that happens when you use a # at the start of a line, it turns into a heading

# Heading 1
    ## Heading 2
    ### Heading 3

Heading 1

Heading 2

Heading 3

edited 2021-02-12 21:10

Using common ascii characters for formatting is crazy!

Things like * (asterist) are used in normal text eg 8*8 font
    Things like _ (underscore) are used in filenames
    etc.
    At least with the [ .. ] there was only one pair of restricted characters and they had to be a valid tag sequence.

• If it misinterprets something as formatting, just escape it with backslash.
    You can also escape an entire paragraph into HTML by putting it in a <p> tag, but that will then follow HTML rules.

Anyways, the preview button exists for a reason (real-time preview like RES does would of course be preferrable).

(filenames semantically belong in inline_code.blocks, anyways, which also solves the issue. yes, I realize that doing that to every mention of a file name ever in a non-serious context is obnoxious.)

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2021-02-12 22:04

You can also escape an entire paragraph into HTML by putting it in a <p> tag, but that will then follow HTML rules.

Always in the past, flags were thrown about allowing raw HTML, due to security issues. What's changed?

-Phil