Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available - Page 25 — Parallax Forums

Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-04-14 12:19
    Thanks Rick.

That opening line made me read the post twice. Positive results both times.

;-)
    mindrobots wrote: »
    This won't make it any easier.

Win7 Desktop w/ v.12 - using PST demo for test program.

Switching back and forth between Activty Board and QS Rev A.

No issues seen. No delays in code.

20+ loads of QS with I/O to terminal when terminal killed and them QS reloaded. No issues.

Beanie, EEPROM, RAM loads all work. Switching between the two boards works.

I can probably test more later.

:thumb:
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-04-14 12:21
    jazzed wrote: »
    There is some insane revulsion to the idea of Projects here ;-) Choose another word? Maybe Workspace?

Personal OBEX :lol:

Code Repository (that's a fun one to mistype - at first I have COED Repository!! :innocent:)
    edited 2014-04-14 12:49
    Jon,

Looking a your request a little more ....

It's one thing to have an entry for Projects, Workspace, Co-ed storage (;-), etc ....

It is another to define the purpose. Are you thinking of a custom startup file? What did you have in mind?
  • KMyersKMyers Posts: 433
    edited 2014-04-14 12:58
    Same as Ray but no QS to try. ID"s good and loads my Activity board and C3 multiple times different programs. Putty term gets text display..

edit still have the delay before each term out
    edited 2014-04-14 13:16
    KMyers wrote: »
    Same as Ray but no QS to try. ID"s good and loads my Activity board and C3 multiple times different programs. Putty term gets text display..

edit still have the delay before each term out

So V0.10 works for you but not V0.12 ?
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,929
    edited 2014-04-14 13:40
    It is another to define the purpose. Are you thinking of a custom startup file? What did you have in mind?

Just a default starting folder for opening and saving files -- currently, the program location folder or library folder is used. For example, on my system I have a folder My Documents\Programming\Propeller which has folders for individual projects. I'd like to have the IDE start with that folder for opens and saves.

Are you thinking of a custom startup file?

It would be nice to specify a blank template for File\New (as the Propeller Tool does), but that can come later.
    edited 2014-04-14 13:49
    JonnyMac wrote: »
    Just a default starting folder for opening and saving files -- currently, the program location folder or library folder is used. For example, on my system I have a folder My Documents\Programming\Propeller which has folders for individual projects. I'd like to have the IDE start with that folder for opens and saves.

For every open and save?

Right now it should be using the last location for all file operations.

Propeller Tool has an "Open From" command. Maybe that can be a sub-menu?
    edited 2014-04-14 15:18
    For every open and save?

Right now it should be using the last location for all file operations.

Propeller Tool has an "Open From" command. Maybe that can be a sub-menu?

No, just the first after starting the program. The dialog does remember the last location after that. I do use the Open From command from time-to-time so, yes, I'd like that if it isn't a lot of trouble to add. Still like the starting folder, though.
    edited 2014-04-15 07:44
    Jazzed, V0.10 worked for awhile then stopped hence my question about the buffer not getting flushed and as what happens when it fills up. V0.12 the terminal never displayed anything but putty and pst both do.
    edited 2014-04-15 07:54
    KMyers wrote: »
    Jazzed, V0.10 worked for awhile then stopped hence my question about the buffer not getting flushed and as what happens when it fills up. V0.12 the terminal never displayed anything but putty and pst both do.
    Interesting. At the moment I'm sticking with V0.12. I don't like the V0.10 trick I had to use - that may have caused an issue. Did you try V0.11?

Can you please post the code that made V0.10 stop working? It would also be useful for you define clearly what was not working.

Jon, I'll look at the "Start" folder and making the General Properties sticky.
    edited 2014-04-15 08:57
    I did try v11 but didnt spend much time with it as you had posted 12. Couldnt get term to work in 11 at all. Could I be having a computer problem and I am suspecting one Activity board both it does download properly. Could it be the dreaded PLL problem?
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,824
    edited 2014-04-15 09:00
    I have a mystery on my hands, today I tried V0.12, and all seems to be working. All the boards I tried, worked as expected, and the debug screen seems to be working as expected. So, I am not sure how to narrow down the problem, one day it does not work, and then the next day it works. My SimpleIDE program works without any weird occurrences, so I am going assume that it is not a problem with my Windows 7 setup. Anybody have any ides as to what the problem could be?

Ray
    edited 2014-04-15 09:29
    Ray same here. Some times no problems next time wont load etc. I was thinking I have a prob here. Sometimes my power chair will shock the heck out of me if I dont ground out. Touched my activity board once and drew a visible spark and the serial lcd just displays streaked and blurrey. Not sure what to think of this but appreciate all of Jazzed hard work and frustration in dealing with this!
  • RoadsterRoadster Posts: 209
    edited 2014-04-15 17:45
    Version 0.12 loads without fail with the following boards, however the Beanie hat fails to detect the propeller chip.

C3
    Quick Start ver A
    Propeller ASC+
    Propeller Platform USB
    Chameleon propeller / avr version
    Hydra
    edited 2014-04-15 18:11
    Nothing has changed about the Propeller Hat code. Did it work in V0.11?
    edited 2014-04-16 06:36
    I solved the mystery, for my setup, I think. It is the beanie and "Identify the Hardware" that seem to be having an affect on the blue terminal screen working correctly. The sequence:
    1. Start IDE
    2. Open spin program
    3. Run spin program in blue terminal
    This works as expected on all boards that I tried with the blue terminal window being functional.
    4. Close the debug window
    5. Run beanie or "Identify the Hardware"
    6. Run spin program in blue terminal
    7. Nothing shows in the debug window
    At this point you have to close the IDE and start at the beginning. The problem also occurs if you just start the IDE and then use the beanie or "Identify the Hardware" then open a spin file and run it in the blue window, nothing shows in the debug window. Hopefully somebody can confirm this on their own setup.

Ray
    edited 2014-04-16 09:16
    You may be on to something here! I verified this on one Activity board using the integer demo for the SHT-11 sensor a few minutes ago. If you dont do an ID the terminal almost works in that I get the syartup info for the SHT but no data comes out. If things work out I will try more boards etc later and see why no data if possible.
    edited 2014-04-16 09:40
    Thanks for the detailed steps Ray. That helps a lot.

I only get a failure if the F7 step doesn't Identify before starting F8. That is if I quickly hit F7 and F8 one after the other, it the debug window doesn't work properly and one could say that F7 fails too. If F7 is allowed to finish then F8 works with no problems.
    edited 2014-04-16 10:31
    From another thread:
    I still use PropellerTool when I want to look at the Propeller Manual and DataSheet ... why can't we have those links in SimpleIDE?

Me, too. Can we have those in PropellerIDE? :)
    edited 2014-04-16 10:41
    JonnyMac wrote: »
    From another thread:

Me, too. Can we have those in PropellerIDE? :)

They could even include the Propeller Tool Library and demo folders if those aren't (I haven't looked in a while). Unless Spin support is still being considered: yay or nay?
    edited 2014-04-16 10:51
    mindrobots wrote: »
    They could even include the Propeller Tool Library and demo folders if those aren't (I haven't looked in a while).

Andy and Stephanie told me not to include Spin libraries in IDE packages. I don't know if Manuals and DataSheets apply.

There are a few changes pending for making the General Properties sticky and fixing reproducible loader headaches, but the IDE development is essentially finished. So, if anyone is interested ... user guide work can commence ;-)
    edited 2014-04-16 10:58
    So, if anyone is interested ... user guide work can commence ;-)

I recall reading that someplace before...... :lol: ...wonder if there will be any volunteers this time?? :innocent:
    edited 2014-04-16 11:15
    Andy and Stephanie told me not to include Spin libraries in IDE packages. I don't know if Manuals and DataSheets apply.

That seems very odd being the Spin libraries are MIT licensed....
    dat

{{

Terms of Use: MIT License

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this
      software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software
      [B]without restriction[/B], including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify,
      merge, publish, [B]distribute[/B], sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to
      permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following
      conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies
      or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
      INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A
      PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT
      HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF
      CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE
      OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

}}

edited 2014-04-16 11:28
    Good point Jon. I think the issue is in having a good revision though.

Of course that is mostly solved by using source control where there is one known good repository.

The only issue is that older IDE packages (not having automatic update mechanisms) can contain stale code.

That being said, I'm not interested in adding source control to PropellerIDE any time soon ;-)
    edited 2014-04-16 11:38
    Good point Jon. I think the issue is in having a good revision though.

Perhaps Parallax could help by maintaining a library archive (in ObEx) for anyone that needs it. Not as elegant as your solution, but workable.
  • lmclarenlmclaren Posts: 104
    edited 2014-04-16 13:27
    Hi,

I have noticed that if you set the default application on windows for spin files to be the IDE, if you double click on a file that should open with the IDE, it opens the IDE but the file is not opened.

You have to then open the file inside of the IDE.
    edited 2014-04-16 13:45
    Ok,

Here is V0.13
    ... It should fix the loading issue that I was able to reproduce (rather crudely by preventing more than one operation on a propeller at a time ... that may change later if folks are willing to test and I'm willing to change it).

It also adds persistent settings for AutoComplete and SpinSuggest.

It also allows you to open a spin file if you associate files with the program - copied code from SimpleIDE.

We don't have a "sticky windows" program icon yet because nobody has voted for one yet.
    edited 2014-04-16 14:13
    Ok,

Here is V0.13
    ... It should fix the loading issue that I was able to reproduce (rather crudely by preventing more than one operation on a propeller at a time ... that may change later if folks are willing to test and I'm willing to change it).

It also adds persistent settings for AutoComplete and SpinSuggest.

It also allows you to open a spin file if you associate files with the program - copied code from SimpleIDE.

We don't have a "sticky windows" program icon yet because nobody has voted for one yet.

I'm starting to feel bad (ok, not too bad), you are pumping out release faster than I can download and install them!! :lol:

Sticky Windows Icon??? I didn't know we were having elections!
    edited 2014-04-16 14:52
    @Rick, you can test only the odd numbers if you like. This version is also prime ;-)
    edited 2014-04-16 16:14
    Re: V0.13
    Everything looks good so far, I will test so more tomorrow.

Ray