Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ARLISS Team NH - Page 30 — Parallax Forums

ARLISS Team NH

Comments

• Mark KiblerMark Kibler Posts: 546
    edited 2010-09-13 19:48
    sylvie369 wrote: »
    Godspeed, and I'm on the edge of my seat to hear how it goes.

Thanks Syvlie! The Rocketeers are really excited about flying out to Nevada in the morning and all systems are "GO!" The transmitter is getting great LOS distance and a 5 x 5 signal, and the ASP ran flawlessly in our last ground test before we packed it away this evening. :smilewinkgrin:

As I said to Tracy, I really wish you were coming with us because you're certainly a big part of our team. The trip is really a celebration of all our hard work and our cross-country teamwork. You've been a great teacher Paul, and the kids and I have learned so much from you. Thank you. The ASP wouldn't work without your help and guidance. You're a great guy and a fine friend. I look forward to meeting someday soon.

We'll give you an update as soon as we can. Wish for blue skies (and a parachute at apogee, and no water to land in...!)

Best regards,

Mark and The Rockteeers
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-09-15 17:25
    Blue skies and best of luck to the Rocketeers! What a great project and a terrific show of help from the role models of the Parallax forum.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2010-09-15 18:05
    I forgot to ask, is there any kind of online presence for the launch events or schedule?
    edited 2010-09-17 22:58
    I forgot to ask, is there any kind of online presence for the launch events or schedule?

Tracy,

Yes, there's a real-time video feed that should run through Sunday, September 19th. It's called 'Virtual Classroom' and the link is somewhere on

www.arliss.org

or www.aeropac.org

Quick update from here on the desert -

Launch #1 was extremely windy and the ASP-2 got dragged 1.25 miles across the desert by its very large parachute when it landed. Atltitude was around 11,000 feet. We located it 3 miles from the launch pad. It was very, very dirty but it was intact, with excellent data. HOORAY TEAM ASP! We took it back to the hotel, did a major disassembly, cleaned it thoroughly, and returned the next day to launch again. A very robust design with few apparent flaws.

Launch #2 was much less windy. We discovered a broken toggle switch just before launch and spent 2 precious hours fixing it. Again we got good data and a landing about 1-1/2 miles downrange. The ASP wasn't dragged by the wind nearly as far. See attached graph from flight #2. Very preliminary graphic interpretation.

More later, "wish you were here",

The Rocketeers
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-09-18 02:21
    Excellent! That's several flights now with good data from each, isn't it? All that hard work paid off.

I'm very happy to hear this.
    edited 2010-09-21 18:08
    sylvie369 wrote: »
    Excellent! That's several flights now with good data from each, isn't it? All that hard work paid off.

I'm very happy to hear this.

Thanks Sylvie! We were lucky the ASP held together when it landed after the first flight. We launched in very strong winds (25-30 mph) and the ASP landed miles downrange. Then it was dragged by it's 60" diameter parachute for over a mile. When we got to it the ASP was literally bouncing across the desert...! After we collapsed the parachute we discovered that the CO2 sensor was missing. UGH!

When did it come off? Did it pop out at apogee? At 4,000 feet? The two parents who came with us followed the ASP's "bounce marks" (which were 2 feet apart) back and forth across the desert to no avail. And then, just as we were getting ready to drive back to the launch pad they FOUND IT! It didn't come off in flight but rather, near the end of it's 1-1/2 roller coaster ride across the desert. Hooray!

Attached in Excel format is the raw data from flight #1 and flight #2, and a graph of flight #1. The graph for flight #2 looks different because there wasn't nearly as much wind and the rocket went higher. I'll post it later. The ASP-2 has been dismantled for a full cleaning but I have no doubt it will fly and record good data again.

Mark
    edited 2010-09-21 18:14
    OK, here's the right graph with all the parameters.

Mark
    edited 2010-10-04 08:07
    Dear Fellow Scientists,

Attached are the graphs from both of the ASP-2's flights, on September 15 and September 16 in Nevada's Black Rock desert. You can find the raw data in a link a few posts up.

We're working on the documentation (schematics, diagrams, program code, parts list, etc.) for the entire ASP-1 and ASP-2 project so that anyone can build their own Air Sampling Probe (ASP.) Stay tuned for details!

Best regards,

Mark
    edited 2010-10-04 09:20
    Dear Fellow Scientists,

Attached are the graphs from both of the ASP-2's flights, on September 15 and September 16 in Nevada's Black Rock desert. You can find the raw data in a link a few posts up....

*Keep in mind when viewing the graphs that the relationship between CO2 millivoltage and the concentration of CO2 (ppm) is inverse. This has not been compensated for (we haven't calculated the constant or multiplier yet) and so the red CO2 line is actually upside down in both graphs.

Mark
    edited 2010-10-04 10:37
    It looks to me as though you have good data all around, with the sensors responding as expected when the rocket took off.

I assume you are still expecting to calculate CO2 ppm from the mV data from that sensor, and need to figure out how to calibrate it. I also assume that it's still in working condition once you put it back together, and that you can put it into a closed environment with that other CO2 sensor you have in order to get some good calibration points. Right?
    edited 2010-10-04 17:17
    Hi Sylvie!

Yes, now that we're back and settled in we plan on figuring out the millivoltage to
    > parts per million conversion. The ASP is fully functional despite the beating it took as it tumbled across the desert. It's even been dismantled and repainted and it looks as good as ever.

As you said, all the data looks solid and the ASP functioned just like it was supposed to. However, the slow climb of the CO2 sensor after the ASP landed makes us wonder whether there is a delay on the response time. One way we could figure this out is by looking at a smaller subset of the data as the ASP touched down. That we we can seem smaller fluctuations in the data, better.

We're 'characterizing' (?) the ASP-1 and ASP-2 as I said above. We're diagramming exactly where each wire goes for each sensor and device so that others can make their own ASP if they choose. Of course we'll include the software so they can make it fully functional. I may take these 'blueprints' to a group of my students who have never done this before to see if they can clone the ASP. That will be the real test but it probably won't happen until well into the fall.

What have you been up to? You mentioned a high-altitude balloon launch this fall (if I'm not mistaken.) Whare are you at with that? Have you launched lately? I missed a launch our club (CMASS) hosted last weekend because of other commitments but I'd really like to get out to launch an EX KNO3 motor I built (J-K impulse.) Have you heard from Tracy? I wonder if he's keeping out of trouble...?!

Regards,

Mark
  • Gage2010Gage2010 Posts: 3
    edited 2010-10-28 05:37
    Hi,

This is Gage from Mr. Kibler Flex block class. I'm uploading the SHT Fast Data program for our class. Any comments or questions?

Gage
    edited 2010-10-29 20:57
    Hi Gage,

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the forum!

What kind of comments or questions are you fishing for? My first question would be to ask, "Why is the program called "SHT FAST DATA..."? The program seems to do much more than read the SHT11 sensor, for one of the ASP missions I believe. FAST in what respect? Does the program work okay?
    edited 2010-10-29 21:30
    I'm looking at your temperature graph from the flight on Aug. 16th, seeing that the temperature dropped about 15°C (from 28°C down to 13°C) as the rocket shot up to 9000 feet. Then, here is a puzzle, why about 6 minutes into the descent, 4500 feet, the temperature peaked up to 45°C, and then came back down and ended up at 18°C for a while on the ground. Explanations? Good data is a starting point, but it is puzzles that make the data interesting!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=74157&d=1286204845
    edited 2010-11-02 05:35
    Hi Dr. Allen,

Thank you for replying to our group's post. :lol: SHT FAST DATA means Sensor, Humidity Temperature. FAST DATA means that it sends data fast (about two data points per seconds). The program that we copied this program from was used by a previous project team (ARLISS and SLI teams.) It was modified to measure and record the SHT data twice as fast as before. But we're really not sure where in the program code it was changed to make it read and record faster. Can you give us a hint?

The program seems to work just fine. It collects SHT data, fast, with out stopping. We understand that part of the program will make our robot work, too.

Mr. Kibler has said a lot of great things about you. If you can give us any help or tips we would be grateful for your help and advice.

Gage, Cullen, Lizz
    edited 2010-11-04 05:37
    Hi Dr. Allen,

Thanks again for your reply to our post we were really grateful. We were just wondering if you had any more tips for us.

Gage, Cullen, Elizabeth
    :jumpin:
    edited 2010-11-04 09:30
    I'd suggest that you guys give us a little summary of where you're at in the project right now. What are you trying to accomplish at this point?
    edited 2010-11-05 16:22
    Hi Gage,
    I think the "S" in SHT might also stand for "Sensirion", the company in Switzerland that makes the core sensor element.

There is a long history of emails, going back at least 3 seasons. Reasons this version of the program is FAST in comparison to a prior version is no doubt hidden there if you want to dig. At one point, the result of each conversion was flashed out in Morse code. That would have slowed things down. Does it still do that?

I too wonder where are you going with this?
  • Dylan LandryDylan Landry Posts: 235
    edited 2010-11-18 15:33
    Hello everybody!
    Sorry for my long absence, I have been utterly consumed by the new responsibilities of High School. I guess I never properly thanked you Dr. Allen and Sylvie, and I apologize for it. Everyone that has helped has opened an unimaginable amount of opportunities to me, and I thank everyone for it.

I agree Dr. Allen, I am also unsure of what is going on here from my absence. Its not that I wouldn't like to take part in another project, I would love to, its just that I am unsure of what is occurring at this time. Mr. Kibler, is it true that you have another flex block class up and going? What is it based on? Robotics, rocketry, geology? It would be great for more kids to be able to take the class as an opportunity to progress in learning!

Also, Gage or Mr. Kibler, what exactly are we trying to accomplish at this point in time? I would be extremely grateful if we could take part in another project, i'm completely up for it!
    edited 2010-12-05 15:40
    Dylan (Tracy, Sylvie and forum followers),

First of all let me congratulate you on being selected as team captain for next year's project. I'm sure you will do an excellent job and that you will hone your leadership skills in the process.

Here's a quick summary of what was going on when we last posted to the forum. Gage, Elizabeth and Cullen were students in my 'flex block' enrichment class. They wanted to figure out how to "unlock" the ASP-2 program we used in September so they could make robot to move while the ASP collects data.

At the end of the 1st grading period I was 'asked' (told) to teach guided study (study hall) instead of enrichment. Gage, Elizabeth and Cullen were moved into another enrichment class (basketball) and I'm now doing study hall. Ours plans to get the robot up and going came as part of a class to a screeching and unfortunate halt. That's where things stand now and so we continue our project after school and on weekends as we did last year.

I'm pretty certain that Aeropac and the Rotary will offer us grants again in February so we can launch at Black Rock again in September. At last September's breakfast banquet Ken Biba (from Aeropac) suggested that we consider deploying a robot next year like many of the Japanese teams are doing. That's why I had Gage and his classmates working on the robot. I think this would be a great place to pick up where we left off (that, and calculating the elusive conversion constant we needed in September.)

I think Ken had a GPS-powered robot in mind, one that navigates back to the launch pad after it lands (like the Japanese teams' robots.) I propose that we simply get the robot moving and recording data first, then consider adding GPS navigation. We could also clone the ASP-robot and have one team work on getting it to move while another team moves ahead with GPS navigation for the robot.

Tracy and Sylvie, if you're out there we'd love to hear your ideas about the pros and cons of this proposal. You can expect to start seeing active dialog from Dylan (team captain), Andrew, and Stephanie (new team member.) They will be the core of this year's project team. We will recruit three other like-minded students over the next month or so.

Looking to hear back from you,

Mark
    edited 2010-12-05 15:45
    Here's an e-mail from Andrew to Dylan and I. Look for most of our conversations to continue here on the forum.

Mark

"I'm glad to hear you are still interested in participating in whatever our next project may be. Do you have any ideas of possible projects that we would be capable of completing? As we previously discussed, attending ARLISS yet again would be a viable option. However, I wonder what our project would be centered on. We could either have a continuation of the ASP-2 or start something entirely new -- a rover, and perhaps compete in the comeback competition? Alternatively, the NASA Centennial challenges could be very rewarding. However, depending on which challenge you may be interested in, it would differ greatly from anything our team has accomplished before, and may require significant funding. Nonetheless, I think it's a great option that shouldn't be overlooked. What are your thoughts on all of this? Are there any other projects or competitions that seem interesting to you?"
    edited 2010-12-05 15:48
    Andrew,

Can you post a summary (not a link) of the NASA Centennial challenges? Then post a link at the bottom of your summary.

Thanks,

Mr. Kibler
  • Andrew (ARLISS)Andrew (ARLISS) Posts: 213
    edited 2010-12-05 16:54
    Andrew,

Can you post a summary (not a link) of the NASA Centennial challenges? Then post a link at the bottom of your summary.

Thanks,

Mr. Kibler

Mr. Kibler,

There are currently three new NASA Centennial Challenges open. The first, titled "The Nano-Satellite Launch Challenge" involves launching small satellites into Earth orbit quickly and efficiently, at least twice in one week. The second, titled "Night Rover Challenge" involves designing a solar-powered exploration vehicle that operates in complete darkness, using stored solar energy. The third challenge, titled "Sample Return Robot Challenge" involves designing a fully autonomous robot which can retrieve geological samples from a wide variety of environments. In addition, there are three more challenges that are still open, that were not solved in previous years. One challenge is titled "Power Beaming" and is related to the wireless transmission of electricity. The next challenge is called "Strong Tether," which requires invention of a material, 50% stronger than it's commercial equivalents, theoretically to be used for a space elevator. The last challenge available is titled "Green Flight" and involves the creation of a highly energy-efficient and safe aircraft.

The first link listed below is an overview of past NASA Centennial Challenges as well as the challenges that are currently open. The second link contains more detailed information in the form of a press release.

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/oct/early_stage_innovation/centennial_challenges/cc_info_detail.html

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2010/jul/HQ_10-162_New_Centennial_Challenges.html

-- Andrew
    edited 2010-12-05 19:36
    Andrew,

All of those challenges seem extremely interesting. I personally am interested the most in the Night Rover. I am a bit questionable on what would actually be required for the robot to do. Also a bit unclear on some information about how to go about entering the challenges. I have heard some ideas from Mr. Kibler that he and his students have come up with for a future project, and before moving on, I believe that a meeting should be held to discuss this. Just so that we can clear up on some matters. Does this sound reasonable?

Hope to hear from Sylvie and Dr. Allen soon : ) ,
    -Dylan Landry
    edited 2010-12-06 09:08
    The Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium rocket contest a few years ago was to fly and land a vehicle that would then move the furthest distance possible (in a certain amount of time, if I remember correctly). There were about a dozen groups working on the project, and none were successful. Now, the terrain here at Bong is quite a bit more challenging than a dry lake bed would be, but that wasn't the main problem. There were difficulties in flight, which I think you guys would not face as you've got a pretty good amount of experience. But getting a vehicle to drop by parachute upside-up onto its wheels or treads is difficult, and then either dragging the parachute or detaching it is another challenge. Of course you could instead land a capsule by parachute and then have the vehicle leave the capsule, which has its own set of challenges.

It sounds like you're around student groups that have managed some of this ("the Japanese teams"), so you might have some good models to work from. I'd be very interested in seeing where you go with this.

The solar power/storage thing does sound interesting, and probably the most educationally-valuable idea of the bunch, as the storage and regulation of power generated by solar or wind (or wave or...) is most certainly going to be one of the important technologies of the next few decades. The sample return one also sounds interesting, but a little less generally useful.

I'm going to work this winter/spring with a student on a project of some sort using the Scribbler 2 robot, which may give me some new ideas relevant to what you're doing. I'm also supposed to be working on a "legged lander" for next August for a rocketry contest, with the idea being to build a rocket that lands on legs that are deployed during flight. That might also have some relevance (most importantly in getting something to come down with a certain orientation under parachute).
    edited 2010-12-06 13:07
    Andrew,

All of those challenges seem extremely interesting. I personally am interested the most in the Night Rover. I am a bit questionable on what would actually be required for the robot to do. Also a bit unclear on some information about how to go about entering the challenges. I have heard some ideas from Mr. Kibler that he and his students have come up with for a future project, and before moving on, I believe that a meeting should be held to discuss this. Just so that we can clear up on some matters. Does this sound reasonable?

Hope to hear from Sylvie and Dr. Allen soon : ) ,
    -Dylan Landry

Dylan,

I'm excited to hear that you are also interested in the Night Rover challenge. It definitely seems like a viable project for our team, and would be very rewarding. Perhaps we should consider contacting the appropriate contact at NASA to request additional information regarding all of the Centennial Challenges. What do you think?

I believe having a meeting soon to discuss these various projects would be very beneficial. If I may make a suggestion, let's keep researching possible projects until then, so we have many options to choose from.

Looking forward to everyone's suggestions,
    Andrew
    edited 2010-12-06 14:35
    Andrew,
    Contacting the department would be a well placed step onward. Certainly on the right track for getting more information.
    Do you think continuing on the ASP II would be a good idea? I'm not sure if it would or not, due to its complexity already, and limits to space left on the payload. Although we could continue with it, by using two rockets launched at the same time, one the ASP II, the other working with it. Just an idea of how we could continue the ASP II project.

Can't wait for the new member(s) to come online,
    -Dylan Landry
    edited 2010-12-06 14:45
    Andrew,
    Actually, let me correct myself. I found a webpage buried in NASA's website more in detail about the specific night rover challenge. It actually seems like a project we are completely capable to do.
    Here is the link...
    http://www.nasa.gov/offices/oct/early_stage_innovation/centennial_challenges/night_rover/index.html
    Here is the one for the Nano-Satellite...
    http://www.nasa.gov/offices/oct/early_stage_innovation/centennial_challenges/nano_satellite/index.html
    And finally the one for the Sample Return Robot...
    http://www.nasa.gov/offices/oct/early_stage_innovation/centennial_challenges/sample_return_robot/index.html
    edited 2010-12-07 18:02
    Andrew,
    Contacting the department would be a well placed step onward. Certainly on the right track for getting more information.
    Do you think continuing on the ASP II would be a good idea? I'm not sure if it would or not, due to its complexity already, and limits to space left on the payload. Although we could continue with it, by using two rockets launched at the same time, one the ASP II, the other working with it. Just an idea of how we could continue the ASP II project.

Can't wait for the new member(s) to come online,
    -Dylan Landry

Dylan,

After reading the complete details for the Night Rover Challenge, I do believe we can design a rover meeting their criteria, as you stated in your previous post. As for "continuing the ASP II," I'm not exactly sure myself what that implies, but I agree fully with you that physical space is limited and a complete re-design would be necessary. Of course, I'm not suggesting that a project at ARLISS would have to be even closely related to the ASP or our previous projects. However, I'm intrigued at what you are thinking of with a simultaneous ASP II and "ASP III" (whatever that may be) launch. What would be the purpose of such a launch, if nothing more than proof of concept.

If you hear anything from new team member(s), please do let me know so I can stay in touch with them!

-- Andrew
    edited 2010-12-07 18:37
    Andrew,

I will certainly notify you if get in contact with the new team member(s).
    When I was talking about the ASP II, I was trying to imply that if we were again going to participate in ARLISS and keep working on the ASP II, that it would be possible. That there is room for improvement. Possibly going about this by launching two rockets at the same time, one containing the ASP II, and in the other container its partner (lets just call its partner the ASP III) The ASP II could be taking the readings it would be normally, (Altitude, CO2, humidity, temperature), and the ASP III would also be taking readings on other gases, and somewhere in that process they could communicate with each other. Possibly the ASP III could compile all the readings from the ASP II and itself onto one flash drive. The idea was really just to prove that we could still work on the ASP II.
    -Dylan Landry