Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
prop galore[512 32 bit processors - 10.2GIPs] - Page 5 — Parallax Forums

prop galore[512 32 bit processors - 10.2GIPs]

Comments

• mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
    edited 2009-04-22 16:30
    realised I need a vdd pin when figuring out how to build a parallel ram chip module

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Need to make your prop design easier or secure? Get a PropMod has crystal, eeprom, and programing header in a 40 pin dip 0.7" pitch module with uSD reader, and RTC options.
    edited 2009-04-22 18:58
    I am trying to figure out the best way to implement parallel sram with 8 pins

was thinking
    a0-a5 on p 20-p25
    we on p26
    oe on p27
    io on p0-p7
    i2c expander for rest of pins on p30-p31

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Need to make your prop design easier or secure? Get a PropMod has crystal, eeprom, and programing header in a 40 pin dip 0.7" pitch module with uSD reader, and RTC options.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2009-04-22 19:14
    Why would you add a parallel SRAM? 64 bytes is not very interesting.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve

Propalyzer: Propeller PC Logic Analyzer
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=788230
    edited 2009-04-22 19:20
    was thinking of making a daughter board with 8mb sram

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-04-22 19:35
    Ok, 24 bits of address (23 bits for word-wide).· The only way to do that with one Propeller is to ALE 16 bits. So, P0-15 are address/data, P16-22 are address (word-wide), P23+ for OE*, WE* etc.... Not sure why you need OE* ... maybe CS* instead? Access will be slow for sharing address/data.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve

Post Edited (jazzed) : 4/22/2009 7:42:34 PM GMT
    edited 2009-04-22 19:39
    a6-a 19 would be on the i2c

any better way?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-04-22 19:41
    I would not use parallel memory attached via i2c. Just add i2c SRAM.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve

edited 2009-04-22 20:15
    the eeprom can be replaced with a 1m fram was wondering if higher speeds could be reached on only 18 io. could use latch instead of i2c expander

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-04-22 21:31
    You could hook up 4 to 8 devices in parallel as mentioned in Tim Moore's SRAM code in the Obex. I'm not really suggesting you do this though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve

edited 2009-04-23 18:25
    ok the brain boards are done(except for mounting holes)

couple question:
    1) what should we call the boards with the 8 props on it? brain board is all I can think of.

2) main board should I place 4 on each side or something cooler looking like spokes on a wheel or maybe make them stand on there side like ram chips? or could put them on edge. ram chip would make the board large and thus more expensive and make accessing io difficult

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-04-23 18:55
    OctoProp ?

Tall order, but If you could make it all fit in a Context Engineering 3008H that would be so cool [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve

edited 2009-04-23 19:12
    not sure what that is but I can try. have a link?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-04-23 19:30
    A 3008 may be too small. There are other sizes: http://www.contextengineering.com/split_body_enclosures.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve

edited 2009-04-23 20:40
    forgot 1 of my questions. how big do mounting holes need to be?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-04-23 20:45
    the board is to long and skinny for 3008

board is 8.5x1 roughly

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-04-23 20:48
    Mounting holes 0.125" annular ring with 0.25" outer diameter ? Good for 4x40 standoffs, etc...
    I've seen tons of 6 point via mounting holes if that's what you mean by stars ... less "insert repetitions" no?
    A 0.1" keepout on the long sides is necessary for the slide in nature of the 3008 box.
    Ooops ... didn't realize how long the boards are ... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve

edited 2009-04-23 21:02
    stars ... less "insert repetitions" no?

where did I write that? I blame mobile 6 os if I did.

probably

step and repeat

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-04-23 21:08
    You didn't. I was thinking about the old spec concept of "maximum number of board insert/removals" ....
    This was an important rating in Navy electronics long ago. "Hardware failed: surpassed life expectancy; send to depot."

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve

edited 2009-04-23 21:52
    ah I see.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-04-24 00:23
    well I have been looking through the Context Engineering Cases and noticed you can get different lengths then what is listed there. the 3008 board could take 3 boards side by side. The boards would be v scored between each but I think if they were not broken apart it would be strong enough especially if the motherboard was at the end of the case.

So yes I could do it but it would require you to buy in multiples of 3 Brain Board/OctoProp board. and you would need a custom length. I do not know how expensive that case would be. Would it be worth it for you?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-04-24 00:29
    as for the name. OctoProp to me makes it seem like a complete system. These boards can not function by them selves(well they can using internal timing). They need a mother board with clock generation and power supply.

Designing a motherboard with 8 headers for use with up to 8 boards is next on my list(well after getting a quote on the board cost)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-04-24 04:25
    New Pictures of both whole board and each square.

Mounting screw points are grounded.

I left a square at bottom of each board so you can label them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    939 x 129 - 11K
    610 x 485 - 29K
    edited 2009-04-24 05:38
    Now the question is at $169 assembled can I sell the 12 minimum I needed?

Motherboard is not designed yet but I will give the PCB for free to anyone that orders more then 2 boards.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-04-24 06:19
    That's a little tough for me to swallow. My daughter would much rather me buy her a Nintendo DSI.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve

edited 2009-04-24 06:27
    true it is not the cheapest thing out there but to put it in perspective Propeller Professional Development Board, and Propeller Control Board are both more money and not as many propellers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-04-24 06:47
    What are the advantages of the board that you offer, though? It's pretty much the cheapest design possible for that amount of propellers, but is that at the cost of unusable hardware? While it would certainly make an interesting computational experiment (all sorts of parallelization experiments come to mind), how will it advance the knowledge of the hobbyist?
    edited 2009-04-24 12:44
    I mostly see it's usefulness ness in computational experiments and robotic minds. A hobiest that is only comfortable with through whole components could easily add the timing circuit to there robot and add one of these boards. Trying to add 8 dip props to a robot would make it very heavy and take up a lot of space and not be that much cheaper.

It also opens up fun and crazy super prop experiments to the hobiest. 8 of these boards on a other board would give you 1152 IO lines, 512 cogs, 2MB of ram, 4MB of EEPROM(or 8MB of FRAM if EEPROM is replaced) and 10.2GIPs of processing power with the prop they have already learned to love.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • WNedWNed Posts: 157
    edited 2009-04-24 15:28
    The pictures: That is just too damn cool. Like a big DIMM, but for processors...
    The price: Seeing the final price is a bit of a shock, but really shouldn't be, price was one of the first issues discussed.
    @McT - is that $169 CN or US?
    What's in it for the hobbyist? Depends on what level you're at. If all you want to do is build kits where other people have done everything but solder the little bits on, this is not for you. If you can come up with ideas of your own, and want to see "what would happen if I..." then you begin to drool, just a little, each time you visit this thread............. Sorry, had to get a paper towel. This is the kind of card you just don't find outside research facilities. The hardest question is, which project goes first?

Ned

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "They may have computers, and other weapons of mass destruction." - Janet Reno
    edited 2009-04-24 15:53
    price is us dollars.

there is power to do what your imagination can come up with.

I would love to see what people can come up with.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • WNedWNed Posts: 157
    edited 2009-04-24 16:50
    mctrivia - You want a name? Call it the Prop Wrangler, since it basically corrals a herd of Props into one place.

Ned

Added: It's a tough concept to grasp, really. I just glanced at the thread title again and was reminded that this is not a collection of 8 processors per board, but 64 frickin' processors, per board!
    Damn that's cool!
    Beowulf cluster, kiss my ***.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "They may have computers, and other weapons of mass destruction." - Janet Reno

Post Edited (WNed) : 4/24/2009 5:00:45 PM GMT