Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Developer Studio IDE - GA Target Release Date - Later This week - Page 6 — Parallax Forums

Developer Studio IDE - GA Target Release Date - Later This week

12346»

Comments

• PraxisPraxis Posts: 333
    edited 2008-10-28 08:28
    Please see the top post for download, installation and registration information.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=754860
  • dMajodMajo Posts: 855
    edited 2008-10-28 17:15
    Praxis,

I have some troubles: running on WinXPsp3 (italian) DS rel1.7

1) still I can't choose where to install (forced to C:\DS· wish C:\uC\DeveloperStudio): maybe already noted by Sapieha

2) Unable to compile anything: default lib dir [noparse][[/noparse]C:\uC\Parallax Inc\Propeller Tool v1.2]; default project dir [noparse][[/noparse]D:\R&D_Soft\Propeller]; getting "Compiler Executable is Missing!" error continually

I have missed something or it's a bug?

thanks

Dario
    edited 2008-10-28 17:32
    Hi Dario,

For the time being it is not possible to change the installation folder, this is due to an issue with Vista which is being worked on.
    I know this is a pain for XP users but bear with us for the time being.

It sounds like your problem is because you have changed the installation folder so the program cannot find the path to the compiler so try the following:

1. Select Setup---> Compilers from the main menu
    2. Select a profile to modify.
    3. In the Compiler Section click the Compiler...... button.
    4. Select the file homespun.exe then click Open
    5. Now do the same for the programmer i.e. click programmer... and select PropLoader.exe
    Make sure the compiler has the correct com port number, you can check the available ports by clicking the Show Serial Ports button.
    6. Click Update.
    7. Repeat steps 2 to 6 for each profile in the profile selections.
    8. Click Save.

See included picture.

That should fix your problem.
    905 x 684 - 38K
    edited 2008-10-28 17:34
    Praxis,

just a speed-up thing:

1) It will be very nice if you can right-click on the document tab or on the file entry in the file manager and choose "Add to project" avoiding to browse again for the file from the project manager.

2) Could you add the entries "Add to project" and "Set as top document" on the document context menu? BTW: the "Top document name" is read only, you can choose it only in the project creation phase: how to change it from the project manager?

Dario
    edited 2008-10-28 17:40
    Hi Dario,
    Dario said...

1) It will be very nice if you can right-click on the document tab or on the file entry in the file manager and choose "Add to project" avoiding to browse again for the file from the project manager.

I will give that some thought.

Dario said...

2) Could you add the entries "Add to project" and "Set as top document" on the document context menu? BTW: the "Top document name" is read only, you can choose it only in the project creation phase: how to change it from the project manager?

Open the the top document into the editor and then do Save As, this will rename the top document while leaving a copy with the old file name.
    This is usefull if you do incremental document changes.

As for adding to a project, the current RC3-1.7 version has a button on the tool bar that will add an opened (non project) document to the project

Praxis
    edited 2008-10-28 17:43
    Praxis said...

It sounds like your problem is because you have changed the installation folder so the program cannot find the path to the compiler so try the following:

I have never changed the installation folder (it is always C:\DeveloperStudio): it was not possible. I have only changed through Setup/System window the project and library default folders to [noparse][[/noparse]D:\R&D_Soft\Propeller] and [noparse][[/noparse]C:\uC\Parallax Inc\Propeller Tool v1.2] respectively.

But you are right.

The paths in the Setup/Compilers changed by themselves to: [noparse][[/noparse]D:\Project\CUSTOMER\_Propeller\DeveloperStudio\DeveloperStudio\Bin\homespun.exe] and [noparse][[/noparse]D:\Project\CUSTOMER\_Propeller\DeveloperStudio\DeveloperStudio\Bin\PropLoader.exe]

Thanks
    Dario
    edited 2008-10-28 17:47
    oops, mea culpa....

It looks like I included the wrong compiler definitions in the setup program.

I will upload a new setup in a little while, anyone else who is having the same problem see the post 4 posts back for the fix.

Praxis
    edited 2008-10-28 18:00
    I have just uploaded a new installer that has the correct compiler/programmer config file.

Cheers
    edited 2008-10-28 18:06
    Praxis,

just one thing more.

I haven't got an answer (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=755856). You think is possible to recognise {#END REGION} such things? I appreciate very much the code grouping folding opportunity but in your way the source is incompatible with the PropTool. Having the region keywords in brackets will became just a comment for the original tool.

and

Could you save the window position and state (normal/maximized) and "Toggle white spaces" / "Toggle line numbers" somewhere so that there is no need to adjust at every run of the IDE

Dario

Post Edited (dMajo) : 10/28/2008 6:11:44 PM GMT
  • cimplexcimplex Posts: 11
    edited 2008-10-28 22:20
    Praxis,

So far I'm NOT impressed with the RC3. I downloaded, installed and ran the executable. First thing is a message strip across the top saying to register it, but there is NO place in the menu to register or instructions on how to do it. I then tried a sample compile and was told that the compiler was missing.

Also I object to having to invoke a project to do a simple compile, unlike the Prop tool where you can do an ad-hoc compile & download of a editor screen.

-Joe

EDIT: Just saw previous posting on install issues, will try again.
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2008-10-28 22:32
    @trelis: Ouch! Praxis has done amazing stuff in a VERY short time. He's offered this version free to test and has made it clear - in the first post (which he's mentioned MANY times) - how to register. You are not being forced to use this software wink.gif

@Praxis: Excellent work. I'm hoping to start working on my Propeller again this weekend, and I'll *definitely* be giving DeveloperStudio a good workout smile.gif Thank you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,
    Simon

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.com

You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again wink.gif
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offence at my writing style smile.gif
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2008-10-29 04:34
    Be careful with XP SP3. A lot of things are failing. I saw a note re com ports being unaccessable after SP3. I have been going around in circles trying to reinstall windows XP. As soon as it was installed I downloaded SP3 (80MB???), then put on my virus program and voila - no internet access. After 5 variations I believe SP3 to be the culprit. It is still not running and I must have downloaded over 1GB in trying and I pay for downloads because I am wireless (on a boat). :-(
    edited 2008-10-29 10:22
    I thought at this time it would be good to kick back and recap some previously mentioned information regarding Developer Studio.

The current downloadable version of Developer Studio Lite is a Release Candidate (RC).
    We decided to make the RC version available to the community gather feedback on usability,
    performance and to catch any bugs that our own alpha and beta testing did not.

In a short while the GA or Generally Available version will be ready for download.
    The GA version is the fully qualified commercial release.

For more information about software release cycles. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

Developer Studio is not a clone or copy of the propeller tool it is instead a development tool in its own right.

Developer Studio has a different paradigm that is centred around project development and not the occasional single document
    write and compile. user.

The first release of Developer Studio is the LITE version is and will be provided free for personal and commercial use.

The Professional version when released will have many more features will not be free and a time limited version will be available for download
    for evaluation purposes.

It would appear that is some confusion about how to get a an activation code to activate the product.
    On the first page of this thread (where you downloaded the program) a few lines under the download link are the activation instructions.

Developer Studio Lite has proven to be a popular download from our web site and I have included here a picture from our
    website management software that shows download history for the last 4 years.

While Developer Studio may not be for your personal development style keep your feedback and comments coming so that we be better able to support the product.

Developer Studio Team.

Post Edited (Praxis) : 10/29/2008 10:47:03 AM GMT
    498 x 356 - 9K
    edited 2008-10-29 14:08
    An update 1.8 is ready for download.

This update implements suggestions from users and as of this time since the 1.0 release there have only been 3 bugs reported.

New in this release: Global Line Numbers, White Space and Code Folding activation.

These settings can be selected from the main menu system setup and only apply to documents that are not loaded.
    To apply these settings to all documents close then reopen or right click and select from the context menu in the document editor.

Also added is syntax highlighting for the homespun compiler listing file (see included picture).

And to mention again - See the first page of this thread for download, installation and activation information.

Praxis
    1280 x 994 - 81K
    edited 2008-10-30 16:28
    An update 1.9 is ready for download.

This update has the following:

1. Code Blocks allow blocks of code to be "folded"
    2. Code blocks are defined by "tags"
    3. Start and end tags can be manualy typed in or inserted using the context menu (right click in editor)
    4. Selections of code can also be "tagged" from the context menu.
    5. Tags are 100% spin compatible.
    6. Added a short cut key display to the editor tool bar (Info symbol).
    7. Added compiler selection to main tool bar.
    8. Unlicensed versions now display a license screen that allows launch and auto fill of an email form.

This is the last update before the GA release so no more user suggestions will be added at this time.

See the first post for the download details.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Adequatio Rei Et Intellectus

Post Edited (Praxis) : 10/30/2008 5:28:39 PM GMT
    1280 x 995 - 72K
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2008-10-30 22:39
    @Praxis: Just been playing with DS1.9 and got an unhandled exception when hitting F1 in PropViewer.

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at PropViewer.FormMainViewer.FormMain_KeyDown(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyEventArgs(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmKeyChar(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
        Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    Dstudio
        Assembly Version: 1.9.0.0
        Win32 Version: 1.9
        CodeBase: file:///C:/DeveloperStudio/Dstudio.exe
    Microsoft.VisualBasic
        Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
    System.Windows.Forms
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Runtime.Remoting
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
    IdeInterface
        Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 1.0.0
        CodeBase: file:///C:/DeveloperStudio/IdeInterface.DLL
    IdeControl
        Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 1.0.0
        CodeBase: file:///C:/DeveloperStudio/IdeControl.DLL
    System.Management
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll
    System.Xml
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    System.Design
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Design/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Design.dll
    PropViewer
        Assembly Version: 3.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 3.0.0
        CodeBase: file:///C:/DeveloperStudio/PropViewer.DLL
    System.Web
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.Web/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.dll
    Accessibility
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
    System.Configuration
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
        <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I have it installed on a fresh VMWare Workstation, running WinXPPro SP2.

Otherwise - I LIKE IT A LOT smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,
    Simon

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.com

You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again wink.gif
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offence at my writing style smile.gif
    edited 2008-10-31 06:20
    @simonl: Good catch that bug has been in PropViewer since day one, I am surprised that nobody else has not found it before when you consider that PropViewer has been out in the wild now for a few months or more.

Send me an email with your license info and I will upgrade your DS to unilimited.

An updated installer is ready to be downloaded with a fix for the PropViewer.

Cheers

Praxis

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Praxis) : 10/31/2008 6:58:24 AM GMT
    edited 2008-10-31 10:57
    Praxis,
    if, in the "Compiler Profiles" window, you click on the "Set Active Profile" button before having·chosen a profile in the "Profiles List", you get the following:
    Le informazioni su come richiamare il debug JIT (Just-In-Time) anziché questa finestra
    sono riportate in fondo al messaggio.

************** Testo dell'eccezione **************
    System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index non compreso nell'intervallo. Richiesto valore non negativo e minore della dimensione dell'insieme.
    Nome parametro: index
       in System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
       in System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()
       in System.Collections.Generic.List`1.get_Item(Int32 index)
       in FormCompiler.btnActive_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       in System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       in System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       in System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       in System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       in System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       in System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       in System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       in System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Assembly caricati **************
    mscorlib
        Versione assembly: 2.0.0.0
        Versione Win32: 2.0.50727.832 (QFE.050727-8300)
        Base di codice: [url=][/url]
    Dstudio
        Versione assembly: 1.9.0.0
        Versione Win32: 1.9
    Microsoft.VisualBasic
        Versione assembly: 8.0.0.0
        Versione Win32: 8.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    System
    System.Windows.Forms
    System.Drawing
    System.Runtime.Remoting
    IdeInterface
        Versione assembly: 1.0.0.0
        Versione Win32: 1.0.0
    IdeControl
        Versione assembly: 1.0.0.0
        Versione Win32: 1.0.0
    System.Management
    System.Xml
    System.Design
    PropViewer
        Versione assembly: 3.0.0.0
        Versione Win32: 3.0.0
    mscorlib.resources
    System.Configuration
    System.Web
    System.Windows.Forms.resources
        Versione Win32: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

************** Debug JIT **************
    Per attivare il debug JIT, è necessario impostare il valore
    jitDebugging nella sezione system.windows.forms del file di configurazione
    dell'applicazione o del computer (machine.config).
    L'applicazione inoltre deve essere compilata con il debug
    attivato.

Ad esempio:

<configuration>
        <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

Quando il debug JIT è attivato, tutte le eccezioni non gestite
    vengono inviate al debugger JIT registrato nel computer,
    anziché essere gestite da questa finestra di dialogo.

I think you have forgot the error trapping for the empty filed/variable

Cheers
    edited 2008-10-31 13:52
    @dMajo: yeah I already found that one, the result of doing the lazy way of adding change compiler profile without having to go to the project manager.

I have totaly changed it and removed compilier selection from the project mamager and set default compiler from the compiler profile editor.

I will upload the changes tomorrow after some more testing.

Cheers

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-11-02 14:13
    Update 1.9.3 Uploaded - see first page for download info.

Update Changes:

1. Compiler / Programmer selection removed from Project manager.
    2. Compiler / Programmer can now be selected from tool bar drop down.
    3. Block comments {{ }} can now be applied to a text selection.

Due to the changes to the compiler / programmer config file existing project files are now not compatible.
    If the compiler / programmer drop down displays a message in RED text just select the profile you want and your project file will updated with the new profile.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Praxis) : 11/2/2008 4:55:23 PM GMT
    1280 x 995 - 70K
    DS.png 69.7K
    edited 2008-11-03 07:52
    The GA Release for Developer Studio will be Later this week.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Praxis) : 11/5/2008 4:03:22 PM GMT
    edited 2008-11-05 16:02
    A great Font for programming is Droid Sans Mono - Included picture is Devloper Studio using this font.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    1280 x 994 - 116K