Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Developer Studio IDE - GA Target Release Date - Later This week - Page 5 — Parallax Forums

Developer Studio IDE - GA Target Release Date - Later This week

Comments

• PraxisPraxis Posts: 333
    edited 2008-10-21 07:25
    @Cluso99

I will give that some thought about the incremental doc saves.
    The top doc being the same as the project seemed the most user friendly way to specify a top doc.
    You can however do a save as for any other document in the project and the new name is updated in the project.

If this were an assembly language (non prop) project then the top doc could just have #Include statments for all the project docs.

I will update the propViewer font so it is smaller and upload it as an update later this evening.

I may be able to post a prelim user guide tonight.

The IDE is just the framework for a text editor, terminal program and later debug tools, the idea being that all the tools are a mouse click away.

There is a GEAR plugin that needs to be cleaned up that I will upload soon.

Cheers
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-10-21 14:21
    Clicked show serial ports

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    at FormCompiler.q_sort(Int32[noparse]/noparse numbers, Int32 left, Int32 right)
    at FormCompiler.btnShowPorts_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    Dstudio
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/DeveloperStudio/Dstudio.exe
    Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
    System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
    IdeInterface
    CodeBase: file:///C:/DeveloperStudio/IdeInterface.DLL
    IdeControl
    CodeBase: file:///C:/DeveloperStudio/IdeControl.DLL
    System.Management
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!
    edited 2008-10-21 14:24
    @BradC: What OS did that occur on?
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-10-21 14:27
    Praxis said...
    @BradC: What OS did that occur on?

XP.
    .Net 3.5
    No serial ports

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!
    edited 2008-10-21 15:04
    An update 1.3 will be posted in the next half hour that:

1. Reduces the size of the PropView Font.
    2. Fixes the error if no serial ports are installed in the computer.
    3. New Installer.

If you are running the update just say yes and install over the old installation, However I would recomend to unistall then reinstall using the new installer.
    edited 2008-10-21 18:07
    A minor Update 1.4 has been uploaded.

This update has some cosmetic changes and adds form maximize and restore when double clicking the form header.
    edited 2008-10-21 20:44
    Reminder: See the top post for download & registration details.
    edited 2008-10-22 00:18
    Update 1.5 Posted, This update adds addtional menu commands to make things easier for first time users.

List of revisions since RC3 Release:

Release 1.0 - Initial RC3 release.Release
    Release 1.1 - Fixed linker resource reference bug as reported by Coley.
    Release 1.2 - Minor fixes and small changes.
    Release 1.3 - Fixed if no serial installed on computer crash, Reduced PropViewer font size.
    Release 1.4 - Cosmetic Changes and Double Click Form Header Maximises/Restores.
    Release 1.5 - Added additional menus for common button functions.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2008-10-22 03:21
    @praxis: David, you certainly are a glutton for punishment. I look forward to the VB compiler. Will you be using the Spin Interpreter or a new one? If so, I am willing to help with the interpreter if you want.

Regarding the PropViewer, I think maybe the function of the CR is reversed and may only be a simple fix.

When CR is not selected (in PST mode), PV needs to send each character as it is typed, including CR (enter) which is not happening.

When CR is selected, the characters stored in the window need to be sent with the CR appended. Each CR resends what is in the window (I do not use this mode in my debugging).

I will download and test 1.5 a little later today (I am GMT+10) cool.gif

Update: Do you work with VB? I could add some PC debugging code to work with my spin/pasm debugger that maybe you could integrate (time permitting)? The debugger can use the listing output to follow the source as executed.

Post Edited (Cluso99) : 10/22/2008 3:27:23 AM GMT
    edited 2008-10-22 04:56
    @Clusso99:

Not realy the compiler was a started some time back about the same time I looked at using VS shell for an IDE.
    I scrapped the VS shell as it was too much work for the return and you end up with bloatware.
    I got as far as doing a lexer and a parser but not the code generator.

I will email you about the interpreter and the debugger, I got a few ideas we can brainstorm.

PropViewr should be the same as the standalone version but maybe something got mixed up anyway it has to be updated
    to suie the IDE colour scheme etc so I will check for the sending functions.

Yes download 1.5 when you can so far all subtle changes with nothing major at this time.

How do you find the program so far?
    edited 2008-10-22 12:16
    @Praxis: V1.5

In Setup/Compilers, the Update at the top saves the settings (including Com Port). The Save button at the bottom only acts as an exit button without saving.

When launching, the window now opens but is not in front (semi transparent - in front of icons but translucent behind a floating toolbar that I have on my desktop). The taskbar flashes to indicate the program is waiting.

I still find the PropViewer font way too big (I am trying to see as many lines as I can on screen) - remember I am using it for tracing/debugging.

Overall the program is great. Maybe needs a little more feedback while programming??? It needs a bit more work on the initial setup as it took me a bit to find how to set it up to get it to work. No docs doesn't help, but then again over 80% don't read the docs anyway. However, it certainly works and you have achieved the functions in one package which is a huge advance.

I like the project concept, but I would like the top level file to be able to be independently named (other than the projuct name). I use 3 digits behind the name to indicate version and increment after certain improvements. Often I further add to this name subscripts for tests, etc. There are many reasons for this, including proof of authorship, should it ever be necessary.

I haven't had a great deal of time to test it well, but my debugger uses multiple cogs and two ram interpreters plus the serial port, so I think this is putting the programs through their paces. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
    edited 2008-10-22 13:37
    @Clusso99:

The compilers/programmers are added, deleted or updated to a collection. When the save button is clicked the collection is then saved to disk
    and is read back in each time the program starts. I will check to make sure that it is saving ok.

Can you post/email me a screen shot of the window when it opens.

In PropViewer I had a 'flashy" progress indicator for programming I will put somthing similar in.

In the 1.5 release I added the button functions to the main menu to ease the confusion and your comment about 80% don't read the docs is part of the reason I have not rushed it. In one of the earlier posts on this thread I wrote in some detail how to setup a project for the first time, so I will cut the post and past it into a readme doc.

As for the top doc my reason was to keep it simple i.e. the top doc was fixed as the first doc added to the project but I think what I will do a is a document properties window that allows the top doc to be nominated thus freeing it up for renaming.

As for the PropViewer font size, one of the "hidden gems" of PropViewer is that you can adjust the font size with Ctrl + or Ctrl - the size you set is saved.

All in all the program is proving to be quite stable and most of the release updates that I posted have been for cosmetic/functional changes.
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2008-10-22 14:09
    Hi Praxis.

In instaler You have Destination folder option now but it is not active and I still not have posiblites to change it

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.
    For every stupid question there is at least one intelligent answer.
    Don't guess - ask instead.
    If you don't ask you won't know.
    If your gonna construct something, make it·as simple as·possible yet as versatile as posible.

Sapieha
    edited 2008-10-22 17:20
    Hi Sapieha,

I am actual still giving that some thought.

I am posting a picture here of the syntax hightlight control settings, this will be avaliable in the GA version.

See the top post for download details.

Post Edited (Praxis) : 10/22/2008 5:36:12 PM GMT
    1280 x 994 - 84K
    edited 2008-10-22 17:43
    Hi Praxis.

It is posible to ad my own syntax highlightings else it is only them You ad?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If your gonna construct something, make it·as simple as·possible yet as versatile as posible.

Sapieha
  • EricGarlicEricGarlic Posts: 41
    edited 2008-10-22 21:05
    @Praxis
    Nice IDE, but difficulty submitting my registration. The header says "Developer Studio - Please Register to Activate". How does one activate (or am I being a bit thick). Cheers Eric
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-10-22 23:31
    In the first post of this thread is an e-mail address that you need to send your license too. The software doesn't make it obvious, the details are in Praxis' first post.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.

www.brilldea.com·- Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto fo SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.sxmicro.com - a blog·exploring the SX micro
    www.tdswieter.com
    edited 2008-10-23 01:55
    Everyone has to go to the top post to get the download but must be not reading the bit about how to register it.

I will change the top post to make it more obvious.
    edited 2008-10-23 05:20
    @Praxis: Also add a message to run(execute) the returned licence xxxx.reg file as it is not obvious.
    edited 2008-10-23 15:50
    @Clusso99: I have been putting that in emails that are sent with the license file[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Ok Revision RC3-1.6 will be out sometime tomorrow, I am happy to say no bugs except for the initial 2 reported, since then just changes due to user feedback and some cosmetic changes I felt like making.

In the 1.6 release due to popular demand the default installation directory will be C:\Programs\Developer Studio with an option to pu it anywhere you like.

The default project directory will be MyDocuments\Developer Studio but can be changed.
    edited 2008-10-23 16:50
    Hi Praxis.

Thanks for Instal posiblites

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Sapieha
    edited 2008-10-24 03:35
    @Praxis: Having some issues with my email program so here is the attachment
    1280 x 800 - 98K
    edited 2008-10-24 10:34
    See the Top Post (Page 1) for download details.
  • kerrywkerryw Posts: 61
    edited 2008-10-25 04:30
    Not sure if this has been called out before, but on my Vista machine the resize tab/gadget/thing on the lower right of the window does not work as expected. I cannot drag the corner if I have selected the dotted area, I can only drag and change the window size by select the very edge of the window frame. This is just a few pixels, so it is difficult to grab. Let me know if you need a better description Praxis.

Kerry

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Heaven help me Marge, I'm just not that smart." - Homer Simpson
    edited 2008-10-25 21:17
    Reminder: See the top posting for download & registration details.
    edited 2008-10-26 16:13
    RC3-1.6 Ready for Download, this update has the following changes:

1. New project now allows the naming of the top level document.
    2. New project has a new button "Settings" visible when selecting a Spin project for the clock setup.
    3. Added a button to the document editor tool bar that allows loose (previously opened or new documents) to be added to a project.
    4. Document editor now allows Save As for the top level document.
    5. Added Syntax Colour selection setup menu (Lite Version does not save) for evaluation.
    6. When compiling if there are no errors/warnings the output window is active (on top) to display other compiler messages.
    7. When programming (loading) the propeller the output window is active (on top) to view programming progress/errors.
    8. Double clicking the errors/warnings list will now open and display the error/warning for a non project document i.e. library object.
    9. Added system setup for default Project & Library paths.
    10. Added Project Zipper to the project management control, this allows the project files to be saved as a zip file.
    11. Some small cosmetic changes to main GUI.
    12. Upgraded the HomeSpun compiler to version 023.

Now that the changes to the top level document and zipper etc have been done the user guide will be release in a day or so.

Please see the top post for download, installation and registration information.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=754860

Anyone who believes that they should have gotten an unlimited license let me know and I will upgrade etc.

Praxis
    edited 2008-10-26 21:52
    RC3-1.6.1 Uploaded.

1.6.1 - Extended Save All to include non project douments.

Save All is a user function, executing a compile also saves all documents before compile.
    edited 2008-10-27 14:53
    RC3-1.7 Ready for Download, this update has the following changes:

1. Fixed bug reported about adding a new document to a project.
    2. Added syntax coloring for 0x hexadecimal numeric data.
    3. Changed default programming serial port to port 3.
    4. Added display dialog popup to show compiling/programming is being done.
    5. Upgraded the HomeSpun compiler to version 024.

Due to the lack of a user guide at this time please note that if you need to change the serial port for programming then;
    1. Select Setup---> Compilers from the main menu
    2. Select a profile to modify.
    3. In the programmers Section change the COMPORT= to your comport.
    4. Click Update.
    5. Repeat steps 2 to 4 for each profile in the profile selections.
    6. Click Save.

See included picture.

Please see the top post for download, installation and registration information.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=754860

Note: Spin language extensions such as the 0x hex number format are only compatible with the homespun compiler at this time.

Praxis

Post Edited (Praxis) : 10/27/2008 3:09:01 PM GMT
    905 x 684 - 38K
    edited 2008-10-27 18:27
    Developer Studio comes complete with a built in terminal program PropViewer.

Multiple tabbed windows of PropViewer can opened at any time allow commincations with several serial ports.

When programming the propeller PropViewer is disconnected/reconnected during the programming process.

Post Edited (Praxis) : 10/27/2008 6:33:37 PM GMT
    1280 x 994 - 66K
    edited 2008-10-27 20:32
    Developer Studio allows finding coding errors fast.

A double click on the error displayed in the Errors List will display (and if not loaded, then load and display) the dcoument where the error occured.

This also applies to any library objects that may have compile time errors.

An Error Marker is displayed on the offending line.