Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Developer Studio IDE - GA Target Release Date - Later This week - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

Developer Studio IDE - GA Target Release Date - Later This week

Comments

• PraxisPraxis Posts: 333
    edited 2008-10-20 05:33
    Developer Studio RC3 is ready for download.

See top Post for details

Post Edited (Praxis) : 10/20/2008 6:58:11 AM GMT
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-10-20 06:07
    Where?
    edited 2008-10-20 06:08
    I assume dowload from where:

www.praxis.com.my/downloads/DevStudioLite.zip
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2008-10-20 06:42
    Hi Praxis.

How I close Project.
    I worrk on many projects and will close one.

Ps. Instalation place it in wrong place. I will have it in C:\Program\DeveloperStudio ... not directly in ROT

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.
    For every stupid question there is at least one intelligent answer.
    Don't guess - ask instead.
    If you don't ask you won't know.
    If your gonna construct something, make it·as simple as·possible yet as versatile as posible.

Sapieha

Post Edited (Sapieha) : 10/20/2008 6:57:24 AM GMT
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2008-10-20 07:11
    Everyone should look at the first post for instructions on registering.
    edited 2008-10-20 07:55
    Coley has found the first bug in RC3 and got an upgrade to unlimited license, beats me how I missed it.

I will update the installer later today.
    edited 2008-10-20 08:39
    RC3 - 1.1 ready for download.
    edited 2008-10-20 08:51
    Some Usefull keyboard tips:

Document editor keys are:

Ctrl+A Select All
    Ctrl+C Copy
    Shift+Del Cut
    Ctrl+V Paste

Ctrl+G Go to Line#
    Ctrl+F Find
    Ctrl+H Replace

F3 Next Find

Ctrl+F2 Toggle Bookmark
    F2 Next Bookmark

Ctrl+Z Undo
    Ctrl+Y Redo
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2008-10-20 09:33
    Vista requires that you give the program administration priviledges (c:\Developer Studio\DStudio.exe and set properties).
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2008-10-20 11:13
    I got the following error when opening Developer Studio every time.
    I have a HP Pavilion dv5-1002nr wunning Vista 32 bit

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'SharedClass' threw an exception. ---> System.Security.SecurityException: Requested registry access is not allowed.
    at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowSecurityException(ExceptionResource resource)
    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.InternalOpenSubKey(String name, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck, Int32 rights)
    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck)
    at RegSettings..ctor()
    at SharedClass..cctor()
    The Zone of the assembly that failed was:
    MyComputer
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at FormMain.FormMain_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    Dstudio
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/DeveloperStudio/Dstudio.exe
    Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
    IdeInterface
    CodeBase: file:///C:/DeveloperStudio/IdeInterface.DLL
    IdeControl
    CodeBase: file:///C:/DeveloperStudio/IdeControl.DLL
    System.Management
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.

Also my Synaptics Touchpad Enhancements has stopped workung

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    What electronics need - MORE POWER!!!!!!!
    edited 2008-10-20 11:21
    The program access the windows registry and therefore must have the correct access rights.

Try running the program as administrator i.e. got to

C:\DeveloperStudio and rick click on Dstudio.exe and select run as administrator.

This will fix the problem and in the meantime I will put an error trap for this when runnign under vista.
    edited 2008-10-20 11:38
    @Praxis (David)

First impression - very nice·hop.gif

The project uses a folder and binary and·output lists are output here also. We now have a listing (homespun compiler) - thanks·mpark (michael) hop.gif

It is necessary to run the xxx.reg program to install the licence into the registery and Vista wants confirmation that it is ok to do this. Each launch of Dev Studio requires permission to run (allow) also. Anyone know how to do this??

I haven't updated to the latest v1.1 yet as it is necessary to uninstall first. I think you will need to address this issue as it will be a pain for fixes.

I had a couple of problems trying to get the program to load to ram. After a couple of attempts in the settings making my Com port =6 (Developer Studio kept saying =4) I got it to download without problems. There appeared to be no feedback that it was not loading until I got it to load the first time. Maybe something to do with "Save" not working but "Update" (at the top) did???

For my first test program I had to copy and paste the code into a new file to get it to work. How do I load an existing project (perhaps I am missing something)??··OK - missed the Project Manager.···I will let you know how the PropViewer (serial) goes shortly.

I note that the character set is not the same as spin (special characters). I have become used to the PropTool background color highlighting of the DAT/CON/OBJ/PUB/PRI sections so I will just wait and see what I think about this versus what else is being colored.

Anyway, great work David. I didn't think it possible to write such small programs for windows anymore. roll.gif

Update: If you get an error .. initialise for "Shared Class", right click on Dstudio.exe and select run as administrator.

Post Edited (Cluso99) : 10/20/2008 11:55:53 AM GMT
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2008-10-20 11:39
    Hi Praxis.

Still not option in instaler to have instal path to another place.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.
    For every stupid question there is at least one intelligent answer.
    Don't guess - ask instead.
    If you don't ask you won't know.
    If your gonna construct something, make it·as simple as·possible yet as versatile as posible.

Sapieha
    edited 2008-10-20 12:01
    @Clusso99

Go to the program folder and right click the Dstudio.exe then select properties and then select the tab compatability.

Go to the bottom and check the box Privilge Level.

The program will now run with admin rights, see included picture.

@Sapieha: Not at this time.
    1280 x 1024 - 291K
    edited 2008-10-20 12:09
    Setting the comport for the loader.

Go to main menu / compilers.

After the compilers profiles box appears, select a profile (there are 2 defined).

In the bottom section (programmer you can see the COMPORT=4 (default) setting.
    Click on Show Serial Ports to view the available serial ports on your system then edit COMPORT=? to suite.
    The click Update, now select the next profile and repeat the process above.

When all done click save.
    604 x 344 - 20K
    edited 2008-10-20 12:26
    Using Developer Studio is more like using Visual Studio than using the Propeller Tools.

Code sections can be defined using the #Region #Endregion statements (These only work with the HomeSpun Compiler and are not compatable with the
    Propeller Tools).

Included here is an modified GraphicsDemo.spin file that shows the use.

The "Regions" can collapsed are expanded individualy or from the main menu bar or right click context menu (collapse.expand all).

If your hover the mouse over a collapsed region the contents are displayed like a tool tip.
    edited 2008-10-20 12:36
    @ Praxis:
    I have just tested my debugger and the ram interpreter and serial port using the propviewer window. All works great except for the PST emulation - If "CR" is not checked then all characters are sent as they are typed except the CR (enter) is not sent. When "CR" is checked then all characters are stored until CR (enter) is typed. PST sends each character, including CR (enter) as it is typed. David, I can still use PST until you get time for this.

I did somehow try to save the project (could not reproduce what I did) but I received a window with "Save and Close Current Project" but it only had an OK button, no Cancel button. There is no close box. I hit Esc then clicked on OK - it did not close the project. (When you are ready I will email you my code).

Regarding the Project Manager - When you are trying to add files to a project, I would be more likely to do this in the File section rather than the Project section, so maybe the Project Manager needs to be present here as well???

I messed up and tried to compile the project without a real top level file (I am still having to paste the code into the top file). There was no indication of the error in the error list. When I switched to the output window, the compiler complained about no input file.

I am not keen to run programs with administrator priviledges - just a comment, not sure how others think.

I am very impressed with how quickly you have put his together smile.gif

Update: I already have "Run as administrator" selected. I tried other setting without success. I am using Vista Home on a laptop.

Post Edited (Cluso99) : 10/20/2008 12:58:13 PM GMT
    edited 2008-10-20 12:52
    I have posted an update that has small fixes and changes.

This should now run on Vista without the need form admin rights, I wait for the feedback to confirm this.

If you already have Developer Studio installed the install progam wants you to uninstalled before applying an update.
    To resolve this updates are avaialable for download in a zip file, just unzip and copy to C:\Developer Studio and overwrite the old files.

See the top post for the download details.

@Clusso99 thanks for all your feedback, without the user guide it is pretty much trial and error so I will push that along.

I will let the comments pile up for a few days before decding on where and how any changes may be required.
    edited 2008-10-20 13:04
    @Praxis - V1.2 still requires admin rights. I had to click "Unblock" on the General tab to stop a run question saying it was from another computer.
    edited 2008-10-20 13:10
    Ok Now I am srcatching my head, I am running on Vista but as admin, I will create another user account and do some tests.

Yeah the unblock thing is windows tagging a zip/chm or other type of script file (XP is the same), there is some policy that can be changed but too lazy to check into it.
  • Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
    edited 2008-10-20 13:26
    This looks very nice.

I just installed v1.2 and the CTRL-Y (Delete line)·key short cut does not work.

I'm running on Vista-64bit SP1, quad core laptop.

David, will this work like VS as in it will COPY the current line you the clipboard? I like this for when I need to duplicate a line. It's very easy to type CTRL-Y, CTRL-V, CTRL-V.

Any plans to support drag and drop from file explorer into the folder view?

Thanks,

Jim Fouch

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim Fouch

FOUCH SOFTWARE
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2008-10-20 14:19
    Anyone tried this on Linux ?

The Install wants to install .NET 3.5, I'll click OK and it downloads something...
    Then the downloaded file cannot be verified and I can keep trying downloading the file for ever... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] OK, I got my resistors hooked up with the LEDs.
    [noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] I dream in SX28 assembler...

/Bamse
  • RetrobitsRetrobits Posts: 46
    edited 2008-10-20 17:21
    I can confirm that the newly uploaded version is now working on Vista SP1 32-bit!· (the original version had the exception problem).

yeah.gif

Thanks!· This looks great so far...

- Earl
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-10-20 19:30
    1) How do I change the colours / font / bolding used for Syntax highlighting and change the background from white ?

2) In the top post; "Developer Studio Lite is not free software however it is free to use it in any way that you wish with no restrictions. All future releases of Developer Studio Lite will be under the same conditions" - You might want to change the EULA which has to be agreed to when running SETUP.EXE because that is a lot more restrictive than suggested.

3) When I run other than maximised, the vertical scroll bar at the right is not accessible, ie, RHS pane never resizes.

4) Creating New Code Document, no vertical scroll bar appears while entering many lines.

5) Propviewer / Setup / Com Port - Uses black text / default windows colours making selection 'invisible' when black background - I knew I'd find one smile.gif
  • RetrobitsRetrobits Posts: 46
    edited 2008-10-20 19:53
    Just curious if I did something wrong on the license file - I sent it to the e-mail as instructed in the first post, but didn't receive a registration file back.

Not being impatient - just wondering if I messed something up.· I'm not sure if it's an automated process...

Thanks!

- Earl

·
  • Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
    edited 2008-10-20 20:12
    Earl,

I don't think it's automated. I sent one in early this morning and received it back quickly. My guess is because he's on the other side of the planet, he's probably sleeping. Check later tonight or first thing tomorrow morning.

thanks,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim Fouch

FOUCH SOFTWARE
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2008-10-20 22:24
    Hello,

I made a short try of developerstudio light

oh my god it took so long for windows to install this 3.5 .net thing
    are the features of this IDE only possible using the .net-framework ?

my questions:
    is it possible to change the highlightings of PUBs, CON, VAR, etc to the way like the parallax proptool does
    f.e. PUBs light/dark blue EACH line of the PUB ?

The compiler reports in the output window file not found
    is it possible to jump to the codeline where the error occurs by doubleclicking on the error?

Next thing I did was loading one of my spin-files
    problem 1: did not compile at all button disabled no message what's to do

OK I make a projectfile (just empty)
    try to compile error No PUB routines found in Test2.spin

OK take the content of my SPINfile and copy & paste it into the projectfile
    Compiler Errors - 1
    very informative guess something failed but WHAT ?

After installing there should be a sample project that runs straight through WITHOUT any difficulties and errors
    and which is as foolproof as possible

If your planning to sell this software this will give a much better first impression.

Otherwise this software is only attractive to the small number of people that enjoy crawling through difficulties
    for days until the thing is running. Seeing it this way: "every new software is an adventure with secrets to solve"

Aha - there is a folder graphicsdemo. Ok this one works. Stays the point foolproof demoproject
    guide a new user by a messagewindows should demoproject be loaded ? (with a don't show this message again checkbox)

where can I modify the settings in the projectfile of an an EXISTING project like if a new project is created?

How about loading the *.lst-file by doubleclicking on the related message in the output-window or enter on the line with the cursor ?
    How about changing to the register errorlist by doubleclicking on the related message in the output-window or enter on the line with the cursor ?
    How about opening a windows explorer by doubleclicking on the message writing outputfile or enter on the line with the cursor ?
    How about NAMING the outputfile in the message of the outputwindow
    How about a FULLY configurable list of hotkeys for all the buttons with showing the hotkey in the hints when mousearrow stays on a button?
    How about jumping to the defintion line of labels variables when Strg-Click or hotkey is pressed

programming means the MAIN work is WRITING. You have your fingers on the keyboard
    and then things like compile / load eeprom are done so very often that you know it in your head and then using hotkeys is MUCH FASTER than
    taking the mouse kicking the mouse around for simple things like click on compile once more

How about an insert COLUMMS (not rows !) mode for the editor?

how about tripple-clicking marks complete line, quad-clicking marks complete PUB and keyboard-hotkeys for this

How about a window that gives a search-OVERVIEW of all hits
    (jump from hit to hit is so annoing)

the search-overview-window should have a possability to jump to the line by clicking on the line or using a hotkey

for real keyboard-freaks:
    how about hotkeys to change the focus between the different areas of the windows as there are
    left upper projekt / files
    right upper files
    lower outputwindow

these are the spontanous ideas from me from LOOKING at it how to improve it

I think there will be much more if I start USING it
    But I will wait using it until there is an easy to understand helpfile

AHH! OK some general improvement-ideas about helpfiles smile.gif)

ALWAYS COMPLETE Clickways WITH PICTURES

a helptext like "click on button project-manager" does not help very much if you don't know how this button LOOKS LIKE and
    where's the way along to SEE this button at all (way down which sub-sub-window-register-button-new-window-new-register ....)
    by showing screenshots of EVERY SINGLE STEP makes it really easy to use

give chapters in brackets ALL SYNOMYMS you can think of

If a new viewer for chm-files is easy to write give it this searchresult-overview-window that shows ALL hits AT ONCE
    with some lines of text around the hits
    then it's possible to do a quick crossreading instead of
    clicking item 1 shwoing the BEGINNING of the chapter even if the hit is three pages down
    clicking item 2 shwoing the BEGINNING of the chapter even if the hit is three pages down...

Ok this is enough for today

I hope it does animate to improve it and not frustrate

best regards

Stefan
    edited 2008-10-21 03:58
    I have .net installed so it was a fast install for me.

For compile errors, click to see the compiler's errors (lower pane bottom - there are 2 options, "error list" and "output". Output gives more details as it is from the compiler.

@Praxis: I have now seen that some launches of Dev Studio place it minimised on the task bar, even though it was closed either full screen or partial screen. About 50% of the time???
    re administrator (allow screen), PST does the same. I can live with this. Anyone remember the mac ad???
    edited 2008-10-21 06:00
    Hi y'all,

Lots of intersting feeback...............

It would seem the problems fall into 3 catagories

1. Operating system issues.

2. How to use it.

3. Its not like the Propeller Tool.

As mentioned ealier the user guide is still a work in prgress partly becuse we keep changing it and becuase we wanted some feeback so we could tailor it based on user experience.

Let me state here that Developer Studio is not (nor will be) a clone of the Propller Tool, it is tool that uses a different paradigm, the central theme is project based devlopment. This being similar to Imagecraft, CodeWarrior and other platforms for MCU code development.

Keep the comments comming and if you do experience any problems please indicate what OS you are using it on.
    Also keep in mind that is a RC3 release and not a fully qualified product.

I note that some of have indicated that the installer requests a download for the 3.5 Framework, that is an issue with the installer (VS Deployment) which I will address as Developer Studio at this time only requires the 2.0 Framework to operate.

Praxis

PS. As we are on GMT +8 it may take up to 12 hours for your license code to be sent.

Post Edited (Praxis) : 10/21/2008 7:09:19 AM GMT
    edited 2008-10-21 07:09
    @Praxis: Some questions and comments...

It seems that the project name and the top level filename have to be the same. Is this correct? It would be nice to be able to browse to the top level filename. I often use saveas to increment the filename as I develop the program (allows backward backups in case I need to regress). Can I do this within the Project?

Can the PropViewer font be made smaller?

One problem we are all having is lack of documentation (hence understanding how youmean it to work) and I respect that this takes time - what about a prelim release with whatever you have?

You are right - it is definately not like PropTool. What you have done is give us an IDE to work within and I thank for that smile.gif