Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Developer Studio IDE - GA Target Release Date - Later This week — Parallax Forums

Developer Studio IDE - GA Target Release Date - Later This week

PraxisPraxis Posts: 333
edited 2008-11-05 16:02 in Propeller 1
RELEASE VERSION HERE http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=762626

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Adequatio Rei Et Intellectus

Post Edited (Praxis) : 11/6/2008 7:03:31 PM GMT
1280 x 994 - 189K
1280 x 995 - 111K
1280 x 994 - 105K
1279 x 994 - 92K

Comments

• BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-09-29 14:47
    Question. Will it run on Linux 32/64, MacOS Intel/PPC, Win98+ and handle unicode with the Propeller font on all those platforms ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!
  • Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
    edited 2008-09-29 16:41
    Sign me up for one!!

I work in Visual Studio 2008 about 10 hours a day, so all of the items you mentioned would be very welcomed.

Will it support jumping to·definitions like VS Shift-F2 function. Also a feature to search for all uses of a var/object.

Need any beta testers?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim Fouch

FOUCH SOFTWARE

Post Edited (Jim Fouch) : 9/29/2008 4:48:23 PM GMT
  • PraxisPraxis Posts: 333
    edited 2008-09-29 18:17
    @BradC: It should run under mono.

@Jim Fouch: Same here with many hours with VS2008, basically the best features from VS without sluggishness.

Cheers
  • BasilBasil Posts: 380
    edited 2008-09-29 19:43
    Im in [noparse]:)[/noparse] Looks great!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Alec

My our page
  • ImageCraftImageCraft Posts: 348
    edited 2008-09-29 20:30
    Praxis, can you send me an email richard
    @ imagecraft.com when you have a chance? Thanks
    edited 2008-09-29 22:09
    I have uploaded an image showing C code syntax highlight example.
  • BadgerBadger Posts: 184
    edited 2008-09-29 22:49
    Hello all

is the developer studio under some open source license and free of charge ...

Badger
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2008-09-30 04:03
    Sounds great...

If it's free and works on Linux, I'll be more than happy to be a Beta tester... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] OK, I got my resistors hooked up with the LEDs.
    [noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] I dream in SX28 assembler...

/Bamse
    edited 2008-09-30 08:12
    Thank you to all of you who have volunteered to beta test etc however we have that in hand already.
    I have made a note of who you are and will give you a copy of the production release as soon as it is available.

What I am interested in hearing is any ideas that an IDE should have so as to reduce coding time and for new users how to shorten the learning curve.

In the next day or so I will post the full spec for Developer Studio but in the meantime we are tweaking the user interface and several back end routines.

A major change is the addition of plug-ins.

A standard plug-in will be the PropViewer terminal and we are looking at reworking GEAR as a plug-in as well.
    The plug-in interface will be published along with a sample plug-in project so that anyone with visual studio can write a plug-in.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-09-30 08:22
    Hi Praxis, having two source windows open at once, sometimes with the same source even ( a bit like good old Brief if you remember that [noparse]:)[/noparse] )
    oh, and the Block copy from brief would be fantastic [noparse]:)[/noparse] as it's always handy to be able to copy blocks, and don't forget to move the cursor down, so you can use it for inserting blocks in tables too.
    oh, and another greatly missed feature is F7, F8 for record key press, and playback [noparse];)[/noparse]
    can you tell I loved and miss brief [noparse];)[/noparse]

Baggers.

ps put me down for a release too [noparse];)[/noparse] especially if these functions are added.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2008-09-30 10:57
    Count me in too..

Rgds,
    John Twomey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Those who can, do.Those who can’t, teach.
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-09-30 11:13
    Will this software allow for a definable library(s) path? For instance, I like to keep my objects in a seperate folder from the standard parallax objects. Can I define multiple paths for this?

Will there be a conditional compile option? Is this possible with Propellent and other tools available now?

I am excited to see what this looks like Praxis when you are done.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.

www.brilldea.com·- Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto fo SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.sxmicro.com - a blog·exploring the SX micro
    www.tdswieter.com
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2008-09-30 12:10
    David,

Being able to switch windows within the IDE to PropViewer is fantastic. Much less complicated than at present.

Baggers... did I hear you mention Brief?... showing your age!!
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-09-30 12:35
    Cluso99,
    <retro mode>
    yes, I mentioned the now aging Brief, it's without a doubt the best editor I've ever used [noparse]:)[/noparse] I hated when VS removed brief compatibility mode, way back [noparse]:([/noparse]
    well I have been in the games industry for almost 24 years now [noparse]:)[/noparse] which was way before Brief, back in the good ol' speccy days, of Zeus and Melbourne Draw, [noparse]:)[/noparse] lol, and even before PC's we're capable of moving much around on screen even in 4 colours, let alone all the true colour 3D stuff they do now [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    </retro mode>

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·
    edited 2008-09-30 13:42
    I have uploaded a new screen shot showing PropViewer terminal.

PropViewer is loaded as a plugin dll, other debug tools can be created and loaded the same way,

As mentioned before I will take a look at GEAR when time allows to convert it to plugin dll.

Cheers

I forgot to add that you can run more than just one instance of the PropViewer so if you want to view more than one serial interface in the same IDE now you can.

Post Edited (Praxis) : 9/30/2008 2:14:42 PM GMT
    edited 2008-09-30 15:26
    David (Praxis),

More than 1 PropViewer is another great feature - it allows debugging on one port while still using the serial port for whatever. Originally I used 2 serial ports on my prop.
  • BadgerBadger Posts: 184
    edited 2008-09-30 16:16
    Hello

Hey may I be included on that. That ide sounds like it would be a lot of help for me to learn about the propeller better since i mostly use ide development platforms. that have objects. So if you would let me be included there i would be most grateful ...

Badger
  • Mike HuseltonMike Huselton Posts: 746
    edited 2008-09-30 16:44
    Fantastic work - very professional. You are truly inspired!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    JMH - Electronics: Engineer - Programming: Professional
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2008-09-30 17:28
    WOW! (I seem to say that a lot regarding the Propeller - LOL) I love the look of this, and the possibilities it opens-up. Count me in, please.

Oh; I'd love it if the cursor automatically moves to the end of the line after hitting the down-arrow (if the line is shorter than the existing one) - hmmm, not sure if I can explain that any better!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,
    Simon

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.com

You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again wink.gif
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offence at my writing style smile.gif
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2008-09-30 17:47
    Hi Praxis.

I can help You test it if You wish.
    Have plenty of time and Ideas how it must function

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.
    For every stupid question there is at least one intelligent answer.
    Don't guess - ask instead.
    If you don't ask you won't know.
    If your gonna construct something, make it·as simple as·possible yet as versatile as posible.

Sapieha
  • sevssevs Posts: 50
    edited 2008-09-30 21:27
    Hello,

This looks to be an impressive piece of software!· PropViewer was a great way to try using FullDuplexSerial for the first time.· I think the buttons are a fantastic idea.· One small thing though, when the·PropViewer tab is selected could you make it reconnecet automatically? I'm not sure if that is possible or it may already to this and i have not worked it out yet blush.gif

I know you said you didnt need any beta testers, but if you would like a novice to try and break it, feel free to·PM me.

Thanks,

Sevs

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Advertisement sponsored by dfletch:
    Come and join us on the Propeller IRC channel for fast and easy help!
    Channel: #propeller
    Server: irc.freenode.net or freenode.net
    If you don't want to bother installing an IRC client, use Mibbit. www.mibbit.com
  • neotericneoteric Posts: 144
    edited 2008-10-01 01:49
    I would be very interested in this.· I am new to SPIN, so I make a lot of mistakes.· This would help a lot!
    edited 2008-10-01 20:03
    Hi [noparse]:)[/noparse] Just had a thought which I should of mentioned in my first 'I want one post' [noparse];)[/noparse]

How tricky would it be to add code completion type features for objects declared in the OBJ section.

Eg. If the user had ' serial : "FullDuplexSerial" ' which has a method 'Start (RXpin, TXpin, Mode, Baud)'

If the user types 'serial.Start(' , the IDE will then suggest which parameters are needed.

Sort of like eclipse or visual studio.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Alec

My our page
    edited 2008-10-01 20:06
    Ooo, and what about a bit of code which will estimate required stack size based on references to @Stack, @Stack2 etc etc

I may just be dreaming :P

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Alec

My our page
    edited 2008-10-02 19:19
    Just a quick update, the GUI is now finalized.

A lot of inspiration was taken from several existing IDE's however most of those suffer from slow resonse and code bloat.

Although the GUI is graphic intensive the Developer Studio is more responsive and has a EXE file size of currently 480kb.

Some coding left to as well as a lot of testing.

Cheers
    edited 2008-10-02 19:52
    Nice [noparse]:)[/noparse] I am envious of how fast you can build a GUI :P

Cant wait to play around! scool.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Alec

My our page
    edited 2008-10-02 20:38
    Hi Basil,

To date I have spent 5 days on this project, I budgeted for 2 weeks so far so good.

I have uploaded a new image showing GEAR as a plug-in.
    I only had time to convert GEAR to a plug-in DLL but no time to update the visual interface.
    GEAR can get the binary/eeprom file direct from the compiler output.

Cheers
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-10-03 02:54
    Good progress. Is this based on the Visual Studio Shell ? I've been reading up on that but don't have any real experience with Visual Studio so it's a bit of a learning curve, so if it is it's encouraging to know that it so useful.
    edited 2008-10-03 03:26
    Hi Hippy,

No it is not based on the VS shell, it is a complete from the ground up development project.
    As I spend over 40 hours a week using VS it is no wonder that it bares a resemblance.

I downloaded the shell programs a few months back and was quite excited by the prospect of using it.
    After some playing I decided to do the easier thing that being do it yourself.

Unlike VS shell which is several tens of megabytes in size the current build (debug) of Developer Studio has an EXE size of less than 500kb and the bulk of that being the resource images.

Cheers
    edited 2008-10-03 06:35
    Wow, I am really impressed by your progress. Keep it up.cool.gif