Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Dracblade SBC with Catalina C, PropBasic, CP/M, MP/M, TRS80, wireless network, - Page 8 — Parallax Forums

Dracblade SBC with Catalina C, PropBasic, CP/M, MP/M, TRS80, wireless network,

Comments

• Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2010-01-06 03:40
    I have posted some vb.net code on the 4dsystems forum so now need to 1) port it over to this board (any language) and 2) get the code written for the second port. I've almost finished #2 (just need to add the instruction to change the baud rate) and then will start working on #1.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.smarthome.viviti.com/propeller
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2010-01-06 15:23
    Dr_A I coming into the home stretch I agree I am trying to get the prop circuit running first but where does the prop plug go I am trying to use the only picture I have but when I blow it up it gets very distorted Yes 373 I just made a typo I think I have everyhting for the prop circuit but the max chip

Dr I also had a problem with my SD card socket the one they sent me had 11 pins the very end had 2 pins they were so close I thought they were connected but they were not so I just used the first 10 I did not hook up the very last pin pin 11 is that ok I will try and show you a picture
    If you look at the very last pin where my pen is pointing that pin is not connected to anything???
    Thank you very much for all the help

Post Edited (mikediv) : 1/6/2010 3:40:30 PM GMT
    2272 x 1704 - 988K
    2272 x 1704 - 1001K
    2272 x 1704 - 996K
    sd1.JPG 987.5K
    sd2.JPG 1000.8K
    sd3.JPG 995.9K
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2010-01-06 15:55
    mikediv: looks like it might be the card detect or write protect switch - just a guess. Look on the website for the spec for the part you have.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Links to other interesting threads:

· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBlade,·RamBlade,·SixBlade, website
    · Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator)
    · Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index)
    · Emulators: CPUs Z80 etc; Micros Altair etc;· Terminals·VT100 etc; (Index) ZiCog (Z80) , MoCog (6809)
    · Search the Propeller forums·(uses advanced Google search)
    My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz·· MultiBladeProp is: www.bluemagic.biz/cluso.htm
  • Toby SeckshundToby Seckshund Posts: 2,027
    edited 2010-01-06 16:47
    @ Mikediv

I have a couple of full size sd card sockets and in that cormer the very close together contacts are the "card present" and "protect" switched contacts. They looke like thin brass/gold strips edge on to the PCB. The contacts on the SD you need are 1-7(inc). Pin 1 is the first contact that is on the front edge of the card, next to the set back one by the champher (pin9, just accept it!). Along the top strip you use the central lot as the end one (or two half width ones) on the "square corner" is pin8.

Pinouts.ru has a pic.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Style and grace : Nil point
    edited 2010-01-06 22:35
    1) The sd card looks fine. So that bit is ready to go.
    2) The latches are HC374. Not 273 or 373. There is a 4 on the end and that is really important.
    3) The board doesn't use a prop plug. It uses the female D9 socket at a standard serial connection. Or a USB to serial adaptor ($2 on ebay). The reason for this is that once it is programmed, you can remove the programming serial cable and then use that D9 socket as a standard serial port to talk to other boards/devices. But if you do have a prop plug and want to use it, it could be possible by leaving out some components and adding a small socket. First question, do you have a serial port on your computer?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-01-07 01:44
    Thanks Clusso I am sure you right that's what I thought but I am not sure if its the last pin or the next to last. I got this from spark fun by using the link DR_A sent me I can not seem to be able to get a data sheet from spark fun it shows a mechanical sheet but no electrical ??
    Dr I do have a serial port and just finished soldering up my DB9 connectors.. Of course you are right I don't know why I keep posting the wrong part number. I am just finishing up the caps right now then its all ready for the chips.
    I even added the power plug , I am going to power it up when I am done even without the chips I have the prop chip, 256 eprom, and figured I could at least check out that part of the circuit.
    Oh I put a the Keyboard connector and a new VGA The one I had on initially was really crappy

Post Edited (mikediv) : 1/7/2010 1:51:41 AM GMT
    edited 2010-01-07 13:43
    ** Software update **

See attached:
    1) Added port 2 code. Now using single mbasic/c/assembly commands you can output a byte, test for a byte, input a byte and change the baud rate for port 2 all via CP/M, eg in mbasic (mbasic is quicker to test, though c and sbasic look neater)
    10 BAUD = 1200                                    
    20 OUT (&H7C),BAUD/1200
    30 OUT (&H78),65    REM prints A

I am using port 2 to talk to a video camera (14400 baud) or to a wireless transceiver (1200 baud) or to other boards with wired connections (19200 baud). Port 1 can also be used for comms if required.

2) Tweaked the vga driver font for the " character. This leant to the left, now it is straight up and down, ie not a beginning or end quote. Editing the font was quite fun!

3) Tweaked the keyboard object so it skips caps lock as a character. Caps lock was passing a character ^ to CP/M. Now nothing is passed when you hit caps lock - it just changes to caps.

4) Note to myself and others - uses BST to compile and needs Tools/Compiler Preferences/Optimisations/Eliminate Unused Spin Methods, otherwise runs out of memory

5) Added screen blanking after 5 minutes of no keyboard input. Saves considerable power for a CRT display and prevents burnin of the A>

6) Added SD card disable after 3 seconds of no SD card activity. Makes inadvertant disk corruption less likely and also saves power.

I heard on the radio tonight about a program www.energyrating.gov.au/pubs/2006-sb-hak-do-kim.pdf to reduce standby power for all electronic devices to 1 watt by 2010. I'm rather pleased to say that the Dracblade complies with this new ruling!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-01-07 15:00
    So the only thing left for it will be, eradicating famine and bringing world peace, or is it the other way around ??

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-01-07 23:42
    Toby thank you .. you nailed it I called spark fun and they said the same thing so thanks guys. I am pretty much done with my board I am just waiting for ships now to finish it, Thanks again everyone Dr_A I downloaded the zip file do I just put all those files on the SD card and boot the system or is there some way I have to program the board first? For the diodes can I use 1N914 or plain Jane power Diodes the ones you buy in bulk at Radio Shack??
    edited 2010-01-08 00:00
    @ Toby; was it World Peace? Or World Domination?

It was one of those, anyway...*bites little finger*

@mikediv, that last zip is the program that goes into the propeller. Once you get a prop working, put all those files in a folder on the PC, open BST, point it to the files, open the Main one and hit F11 to program the propeller.

You should then get something on the screen but it will fail on the sd card read. In an earlier post are the .dsk files that go on the sd card.

Re the diodes, no, they have to be the ones specified. 1A 4001 power diodes are not fast enough, and 914 diodes are fast enough but only good for 10mA. Those ones specified are both fast and good for 1A.

Also, I'd suggest testing the power supply first, with no chips inserted. Then you could try just the eeprom, max232 and propeller and see if you can program it.

Addit: First real programming session today writing code on a Dracblade, independent of a PC. I'm using Mbasic as it is quick to test each little bit of code. It is not the best looking language, what with line numbers and all, but you can indent loops and if you don't put multiple statements on lines with : between them, and with rem comments and dividers like '******** it can be made more like a structured program. sbasic and C are better but the edit/compile/run cycle is too long.

Anyway, the uCAM is sending back its first acknowledge. This was the hardest part of writing the uCAM software in vb.net, so from now on it is just a matter of porting the vb.net over to the dracblade. Soon the Propeller will be taking Photographs. Do you like Photography? eh, eh, nudge nudge...

10 ' Capture a frame from the uCam and save
    20 GoSub 180: ' set baud rate to 14400
    30 GoSub 310: ' wake up ucam
    40 End
    50 ' ******************************
    60 ' Send 6 bytes to synch
    70 Print "=>";
    80 A$ = "AA0D00000000"
    90 For I = 1 To 6
    100   B$ = Mid$(A$, (I * 2) - 1, 2)
    110   OUT (&H78), Val("&H" + B$)
    120   Print B$;
    130 Next I
    140 Print
    150 Return
    160 ' *****************************
    170 ' set the baud rate
    180 OUT (&H7C), 12: ' set baud rate to 14400
    190 Return
    200 ' *****************************
    210 ' wait for 6 bytes to come back
    220 A = INP(&H7D): ' any characters?
    230 If A = 32 Then Print "Timeout waiting for character"
    240 If A = 33 Then Print "Got a character!"
    250 Return
    260 ' *****************************
    270 ' get 6 characters
    280 Print "Get 6 characters"
    290 Return
    300 ' *****************************
    310 ' check sync up to 60 times
    320 For S = 1 To 15
    330   GoSub 60: ' send 6 synch bytes
    340      For D = 1 To 100: ' this delay is important
    350      Next D
    360   GoSub 210: ' wait for bytes to come back
    370 Next S
    380 Return
    390 ' *****************************

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Dr_Acula) : 1/8/2010 2:37:37 AM GMT
    edited 2010-01-08 00:15
    Mikediv

As one in the uk that is removed from the central thoughts of the GODs that form this project,.

The sd should have the files that are in the archive that do NOT have anything to do with the terminal program or BST (etc) It is to big to upload to this board but comes to about 72MB+ expanded ( not the latest version anyway. Format a suitable SD and, staight away, copy over from the PC. The EEprom on the PCB wil have to be loaded with a BST compiled program. The rascals that run this thread put loads of conditional IFDEFs etc throughout the code. PropTool doesn't like it up'um. If you get stuck then a binary could be throw your way.

I have never built a true DracBlade, only my copies, so I know your pain (99.99% of which is nothing but self doubt) I have taken this back to 64KB with only two of the '374 latches and it fired up ok.

If you get sd not mounted then the SD card you have is probably not suitable, SANDISK SEEM TO WORK EVERY TIME, but other not (general, not just this project)
    If you get " Spacebar for next instruction ..." then the ram is not online, I have had problems.

Finish the build and fire up, the good folk on the thread will fall over themselves to help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-01-08 19:54
    Mikediv

Now it isn't something past midnight I will remember to list the files on my SD -

A.DSK through to H.DSK
    BLANK_E5.DSK
    BOOT.DSK
    CPMBOOT
    DELPASSW.TTL
    DIALUP.TTL
    ZIBOOT
    ZIBOOT.MAC
    ZIBOOT.PRN
    zicog_cpm2_files

I am sure that the two XXXX.TTL ones are not required as they look like something to do with teraterm. I haven't deleted them as it would spoil the contigious files.

Fresh format the SD to Fat ( not Fat32! ), and transfer the files over one after the other.

As Dr_A says if the SD isn't there, or isn't recognised, the prog will let you know, as it will with the KBD. I have had some "press spacebar for next instruction" error come up when the Ram isn't ok or sometimes when the power is first applied, Dr_A hasn't had this on his boards, a reset button push cures it, fo me.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-01-08 21:57
    Guys I am looking over the schematic and I am wondering what is the purpose of the inductors??? I can not seem to understand if there is some timing delay I am missing I have not installed them yet (I dont have them) but I powered up my board and I have the 5 and 3 volts its stable and if I jump them out all the IC sockets are getting clean power???? What am I missing
    edited 2010-01-09 00:50
    The inductors are part of the switching power supply. You can't leave them out! They store energy and are part of the clever circuit that takes a higher voltage and converts it to a lower voltage with hardly any energy loss (ie hardly any heat).

www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM2575.html#Overview

and click on the picture near the bottom right for a bigger view of the schematic.

These are very easy to use - just don't substitute different diodes (futurlec sell them for 18c each) and make sure the inductor is rated for 1 amp.

If you happen to have another source of regulated 5V and 3.3V then you can use that and leave out the on-board regulators. Remember though that linear regulators such as the 7805 will probably need a heatsink.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-01-09 01:44
    DR_A here they are also quick question. My board has two C1 one C1 right next to the giant capacitor the 2200 and th eother C1 at the top left under the DB9 connector was both of them suppose to be .01 caps?
    2272 x 1704 - 1001K
    lh.JPG 1000.7K
    edited 2010-01-09 01:51
    Yes bit of a muddle there, the one near the big capacitor has been overwritten.

The one up by the D9 is 0.01 This is from the parallax download circuit for the reset.

All the others are 0.1uF (bypass caps for the chips). But I've probably gone a bit overboard putting those 0.1uF caps everywhere, so if you have already soldered in a 0.01 near the ram chip, that won't matter.

And re the PM, if that is an inductor you are holding (the blue thing) then that looks perfect.

As an aside, the 2200uF cap is possibly overrated. If you are running off a transformer then bridge, it probably needs 4700uF. But if you are running off a wallwart, the wallwart very likely has 4700uF inside anyway, so the 2200uF could be decreased to, say, 470uF.

The rest of the board looks great. I gather you are just waiting on components now?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-01-09 06:31
    The uCam has beaten me for the moment. Very fickle bootup that almost seems temperature dependent (? timing on Uart. It is 43C today).

Anyway I'm very excited to annouce the first successful xmodem file transfer between two Dracblade boards. See photo.

The port addresses for the first port are &H68 for bytes and &H6D for the "ready" flag. The second port uses &H78 and &H7D. So it was just a matter of compiling a new version of xmodem with the two new port settings. Xmodem is working to and from a PC, so this new program was compiled on the PC, then sent via xmodem to both boards. Then the boards were connected to each other and on one:

XMODEM2 S MYFILE.TXT

and on the other

XMODEM2 R MYFILE.TXT

Working at 19200 baud (any faster and it overloads the little 16 byte buffer on the 4 port serial object by Tim Moore is just a bit fast for Zicog).

Also version 4 of the DracBlade has a red and green led for the second port so you can see the data going across.

Just one small snag (isn't there always one?) - the D9 male and female sockets are too close to fit some plugs at the same time, so you have to unplug the download cable. The IDC ribbon cable plugs are ok - just my USB to serial one is a bit fat!

But now we have file transfer working between propellers.

Next step - replicate the same thing with wireless...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    1280 x 960 - 360K
    edited 2010-01-09 06:38
    WOW! Xmodem between props - congratulations Drac.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

· Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator)
    · Emulators: CPUs Z80 etc; Micros Altair etc;· Terminals·VT100 etc; (Index) ZiCog (Z80) , MoCog (6809)
    My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz·· MultiBladeProp is: www.bluemagic.biz/cluso.htm
    edited 2010-01-09 08:51
    Dr_A

so there is only about 50C temp difference between here and at yours, I am nowhere near Scotland -22C, but we have -8C. Heater is bound to beat that, but it's his lot that's chucking it all at us.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2010-01-09 12:17
    >>Just one small snag (isn't there always one?) - the D9 male and female sockets are too close to fit some plugs at the same time, so you have to unplug the download cable. The IDC ribbon cable plugs are ok - just my USB to serial one is a bit fat!

You could probably use one of these slim DB9 MM and FF connectors back to back to extend one connector past the adjacent connector.
    www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&id=ID10188776&partno=00301&search=DB9_M-M&rsite=pccables.comcgi&rcode= and www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&id=ID10188776&partno=00302&search=DB9_F-F&rsite=pccables.comcgi&rcode=
    edited 2010-01-11 04:08
    ** Networking Propeller Dracblade boards **

I think I have finally got some code stable enough to call this a network.

Ok, the model is either a common RS232 bus (everyone listens to everyone else, all outputs are 'Wire-OR') or a wireless network where everyone is listening. The problem with both these models is that only one board can talk at once (especially with wireless).

This started off as a pretty simple idea. Take two microcontrollers (picaxes) and get them talking via wireless. That was easy.

Next problem, once you get up to a certain number of boards out in the field, it becomes difficult to upgrade them, especially since network testing involves lots of incremental rewrites. So you need some way of sending upgrades via the network itself. So then along comes the problem of what happens if a file transfer fails half way through? You now have a board with a new broken program and it may not respond at all to send a new copy.

So that leads to consideration of an operating system, where you can be running an old version, send a new one, run it, get some diagnostics to say it does actually run properly, and finally you can delete the old program.

But even an operating system is not quite enough. If a board is running a program (say a comms program) and you want to stop that program and drop back to the operating system, then it needs some sort of layer running underneath the operating system that is looking for certain messages.

It was at this point that I found real Z80 boards could not handle the multitasking and they needed more than one uart chip. Fortunately, at just the right time, along comes heater and cluso with the zicog and the hardware to run it.

Each board has two serial ports. The first one is for downloads and for connection to a terminal program.

The second port connects to a wireless RS232 module. CP/M is running and most of the time CP/M is checking to see if there is any keyboard input. Meanwhile, the 4 port serial port driver byTim Moore is listening in the background for anything out in the aether, and it collects bytes in its 64 byte buffer. Every 500 checks of the keyboard, there is a little bit of spin code that goes off and checks if there is a byte in the port 2 buffer. If there is, it looks for a sequence of 4 bytes (one Long) that must match a pattern. The pattern is # plus the first three letters of the board's name, which are Greek letters eg ALPHA, BETA, GAMMA. To wake up board EPSILON, send a message #EPS

This is simple enough you can type this on a terminal program connected to a serial port connected to a wireless RS232 module. So you don't need any complicated software to log into a board.

Once a connection is established, a board can send a command to the other board to run a comms program, eg

send XMODEM R MYFILE.TXT to the remote board which then runs xmodem and waits.
    then run XMODEM S MYFILE.TXT on the local board and that starts the link and sends the file.

All we really need now is a tiny "terminal" program for CP/M that displays the local and the remote board, maybe on a split screen.

The key to this is every board has a unique name and only the board that has been switched on can talk. This keeps the airwaves clean.

If there is no activity for a number of minutes then the connection is lost (when the screen saver is activated).

One can envisage other little commands, eg a hard reset that resets a board regardless of its name.

I've even been compiling little programs on the propeller itself, eg this program which disconnects the board:

; File PORT2OFF.MAC Turn off control from Port 2
    ; use zasm.sub with supersub
    ; eg supersub zasm myfile    (where myfile is called myfile.mac but do not put the
    ;                             mac in the instruction - m80 knows it is implied)
    ; zasm.sub is the following two lines
    ;M80 =$1 /Z/C/L/M
    ;L80 $1,$1/N/E

START:    OUT    (71H),A            ; send anything to port 71 to disable
            RET                ; back to CP/M
            END    

I compiled that on the propeller and used xmodem to send the compiled file back to the PC (rather than the other way round).

Added two new ports, background and foreground color change

eg in mbasic (or assembly)

OUT (&H72),E0 sets the foreground color to orange and

OUT (&H73),&H8 sets the background to blue where the color is RRGGBB00 and convert the binary to hex or decimal

So now you could have a tiny batch file to set the colors to how you want them rather than recompiling each time. (I did this with the idea that a terminal program would run in a different color when it was talking to a remote board)

The vga driver can change each row color (but not each individual character) so there could be something useful there.

So next little job is to think about a terminal program for CP/M. Should be fairly simple. Capture keypresses and direct to port 2 instead of the vga screen. Then look at port 2 for input and pass that to the vga screen. Change the color while it is running. And a key to 'escape', maybe ~. I've just written about half of it in 5 mins in MBASIC.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Dr_Acula) : 1/11/2010 5:53:52 AM GMT
    edited 2010-01-19 00:28
    Update on the wireless network.

(sorry about bumping my own thread, but even though this topic has been quiet for a little while, I posted off 4 boards yesterday so this is partly for those people who will be getting boards soon)

1) Photo. Attached is a picture. On the left is the controlling Propeller CP/M board. On the right is the board being controlled. Normal boards are green on black (I'm getting some shimmering with solid background colors like blue and white). The screen on the left is orange to indicate it is logged into the remote board. This is running Wordstar wirelessly. Also at the bottom is a pdf of the build instructions, with 12 steps with photos.

2) Radio Link. Radio link is 1200 baud, but modules can go to 19200 and beyond. I just chose 1200 as slower baud rates have longer range. Modules are from Yishi (433Mhz) and go up to 3km with line of sight. They use RS232 signals so just plug into the serial port of the Dracblade.

3) Login. You can only log into one board at a time, and you need to log out of one board before logging into another (unless you use two different RF frequencies) Login command is #BET for board BETA, and logout is PORT2OFF (or LOGOUT). There are other network protocols I've had working such as ones that send tiny packets to each other. These work well but are harder to debug out in the field when a particular board has stopped working. Easier to build this up in layers and logging into boards remotely is a very useful first step.

4) Buffering. One big problem going from wired to wireless links is buffering. Let's say you type "DIR". If you type that in, then the D goes out, and the remote board echoes it back and it goes to the local screen. But what if you type the I and that goes out at exactly the same time as the D comes back? Then the data will get corrupted and likely neither character gets to its destination. The symptom is dropped characters. And the solution came to me while studying the Spin code for the keyboard driver (Thanks Chip!). This uses circular buffers with a Head and a Tail, and maybe this sort of code is common knowledge, but I had never seen such a solution. Particularly the way you test if Head = Tail to see if the buffer is empty, and the way you can make it circular by doing an AND with a number like 0FH. So - the key with a wireless terminal program is to buffer keyboard input for half a second or so and to send all the characters out at once. CP/M (or mbasic or whatever) then sends back a response, but the key is that that response comes back while the local keyboard is buffering more characters. So no data clashes. The characters appear on the screen with a slight delay which takes a little getting used to, but the delay is no worse than the delay typing into Google with the autosearch function on.

5) Wireless module buffering. Another feature of wireless modules is they have their own buffering. Most brands buffer 32 characters and send them out every 30 milliseconds or so. Unfortunately, xmodem sends in 132 byte packets, so either you need to modify xmodem to put in delays every 30 characters or so, or use modules like the Yishi ones that have bigger buffers.

6) Raw RF processing Ideally I'd like to do raw RF processing using the Bell Modem object in the Obex. Unfortunately I've run out of cogs (and almost out of hub memory), so more code is having to be moved over to CP/M rather than PASM/Spin. I guess that is one of the nice things about CP/M is the almost unlimited memory (if you run out of hub space, put it into a CP/M program. If that fills up the 64k space, write several programs and chain them with Submit files and pass variables via small text files. If you run out of 8mb space on a drive, chain programs onto different drives. It only runs out of space at 64mb of program, and that is a pretty big program!) But it would be nice to use the Bell Modem as it means you can use cheaper RF modules, even a standard CB radio and audio via a speaker and microphone. The ability to put big programs in SpinPASM with >8 cog programs and >32k hub code is why I am intrigued by Sphinx and PrEditor and PropDos. Eg while the orange screen terminal program is running, it doesn't need the SD card code in the cog. So replace that with the Bell Modem code. Ditto on the remote machine, it doesn't need the local keyboard cog running.

7) Code. So the above is the justification for posting a huge slab of Z80 code here on the Prop forum *grin*. This is the terminal program that logs into any board within RF range. This program is compiled on the Dracblade itself. Run programs remotely, write programs, transfer files. You can even compile the terminal program on a remote machine, wirelessly. I'm still amazed by what the Propeller can do!

; TERMINAL.MAC program for wireless login to CP/M boards

; changing from tasm mnemonics - replace all $nn with nnH
    ; remove . in front of equ
    ; remove : in equ lines
    ; must have a CR/LF after END
    ; use zasm.sub with supersub
    ; eg supersub zasm myfile    (where myfile is called myfile.mac but do not put the
    ;                             mac in the instruction - m80 knows it is implied)
    ; zasm.sub is the following two lines
    ;M80 =$1 /Z/C/L/M
    ;L80 $1,$1/N/E

; tasks - check port2 until empty and send on to local display, then keyboard and send to port2
    ; ports 74H = a key ready on keyboard, 75H = keyboard data, 11H= output to local display, 7D port2 test
    ; 78H=port2 data, 7C=port2 baud. To transfer files, run XMODEM2 R MYFILE on the remote machine, log out
    ; of this terminal program with ~ then run XMODEM2 S MYFILE on the local machine

FDOS    EQU    0005H    ; COMMON ENTRY POINT FOR BIOS AND BDOS

START:

CALL CLS            ; clear screen
        CALL ORANGE        ; screen to orange on black
        LD DE,STRING1         ; welcome screen
        CALL PRINT        ; print this string
        LD DE,STRING2        ; welcome screen line 2
        CALL PRINT        ; print second line
        LD DE,STRING3        ; welcome screen line 3
        CALL PRINT        ; print third signon line
        CALL BAUD1200        ; port 2 to 1200 as radio modules use this
        CALL RESETCOUNTER     ; counter for buffering keyboard input
        JP MAIN    

MAIN:
        CALL DECCOUNTER        ; subtract one off counter and clear the keyboard buffer if any characters
        IN A,(7DH)        ; check port2 has a byte
        CP 32            ; 32=no byte, 33=a byte
        JP Z,KEYBOARD        ; jump to keyboard test if no byte
        IN A,(78H)        ; get the character from port2
        OUT (11H),A        ; send to local display
        JP MAIN            ; back to beginning
    KEYBOARD:
        IN A,(74H)        ; local keyboard 0 if no keypress, 255 if keypress
        CP 0            ; loop until a keypress
        JP Z,MAIN           ; back to beginning if no keypress
        IN A,(75H)          ; get the key byte
        CP 126            ; is it ~ (this is the exit character)
        JP Z,FINISH        ; jump to finish and end the program
        CALL KEYADD        ; add characters to the 16 byte circular buffer
        JP MAIN            ; back to beginning
    FINISH:
        CALL GREEN        ; screen to green on black
        CALL CLS        ; clear the screen
    ;    BAUD19200        ; port 2 baud rate back to 19200 (commented out, may as well leave at 1200)
        RET                  ; to cp/m

; ************** subroutines ************************

PRINT:                ; prints string at DE
        LD A,(DE)
        CP 0            ; zero terminated strings
        RET Z            ; finish if zero
        OUT (11H),A         ; print to screen
        INC DE            ; subtract 1
        JP PRINT        ; loop around

ORANGE:
        LD A,0E0H        ; screen to orange on black rrggbb00B
        OUT (72H),A        ; set foreground colour to orange
        LD A,0            ; set background colour to black
        OUT (73H),A        ; output to background port
        RET

GREEN:
        LD A,34H        ; screen to green on black
        OUT (72H),A
        LD A,0            ; set background colour to black
        OUT (73H),A        ; output to background port
        RET

CLS:
        LD DE,STRING4        ; clear string
        CALL PRINT
        RET

BAUD1200:            ; port 2 to 1200 baud
        LD A,1            ; a=1=1200,2=2400 etc. 16=19200
        OUT (7CH),A
        RET    

BAUD19200:
        LD A,16            ; 1200*16=91200
        OUT (7CH),A        
        RET

KEYADD:                ; add a character to the circular keyboard buffer (head/tail)
        LD D,A            ; temp store to D for the character passed in A
        LD A,(KEYHEAD)        ; get the head counter
        LD HL,KEYBUFFER        ; get the location of the 16 byte keyboard buffer
        LD B,0            ; B=0
        LD C,A            ; set up for adding the head to the buffer
        ADD HL,BC        ; add them - answer in HL
        INC A            ; add one to the head counter
        AND 0FH            ; and with 00001111B so cycles at 16 to 0
        LD (KEYHEAD),A        ; store the new counter
        LD A,D            ; get the character back from register D
        LD (HL),A        ; store it in the location HL calculated above
        RET

KEYCLEAR:            ; clear the keyboard buffer
        LD A,(KEYHEAD)        ; get the head counter
        LD B,A            ; store it in B
        LD A,(KEYTAIL)        ; get the tail
        CP B            ; is the head equal to the tail
        RET Z            ; if yes then return - buffer is empty
        LD HL,KEYBUFFER        ; set up for getting the tail character
        LD B,0            ; B=0
        LD C,A            ; A contains the tail counter => C
        ADD HL,BC        ; add the buffer and the tail counter
        INC A            ; add 1 to the tail counter
        AND 0FH            ; and with 00001111B so cycles at 16
        LD (KEYTAIL),A        ; store the tail counter
        LD A,(HL)        ; get the character
        OUT (78H),A        ; output it to the appropriate port
        JP KEYCLEAR        ; repeat until head = tail

DECCOUNTER:            ; subtract 1 from counter, runs last few lines if = to zero
        LD HL,(COUNTER)        ; get counter value
        DEC HL            ; subtract 1
        LD (COUNTER),HL        ; store the new value
        LD A,H            ; test the high byte
        CP 0            ; is HL equal to zero, if not then return
        RET NZ            ; return if not zero
        LD A,L            ; test the low byte
        CP 0            ; is it zero
        RET NZ            ; return if not zero
        CALL RESETCOUNTER    ; counter is zero, so reset to a nominal value
        CALL KEYCLEAR        ; clear the keyboard buffer out to the port
        RET

RESETCOUNTER:
        LD HL,1000H        ; adjust for the buffer delay (less than a second, 1000H is about right)
        LD (COUNTER),HL        ; reset the counter to a nominal value
        RET    

; ***************** debugging rountines *******************************
    ; print registers  00000 to 65535 (A is 00000 to 00255) for debugging

REGISTERS: ; Print all the registers
        PUSH HL
        PUSH DE
        PUSH BC
        PUSH AF
          PUSH HL
        PUSH DE
        PUSH BC
        CALL PRINT_A
        POP BC
        CALL PRINT_BC
        POP DE
        CALL PRINT_DE
        POP HL
        CALL PRINT_HL
        LD E,13
        CALL WRITE_CONSOLE
        LD E,10
        CALL WRITE_CONSOLE
        POP AF
        POP BC
        POP DE
        POP HL
        RET

PRINT_A:
        PUSH AF
        LD E,'A'
        CALL WRITE_CONSOLE
        LD E,'='
        CALL WRITE_CONSOLE
        POP AF
        LD B,0
        LD C,A
        CALL PRINTHEX
        RET
    PRINT_HL:
        PUSH HL
        LD E,' '
        CALL WRITE_CONSOLE
        LD E,'H'
        CALL WRITE_CONSOLE
        LD E,'L'
        CALL WRITE_CONSOLE
        LD E,'='
        CALL WRITE_CONSOLE
        POP HL
        PUSH HL
        LD B,0
        LD C,H
        CALL PRINTHEX
        POP HL
        LD B,0
        LD C,L
        CALL PRINTHEX
        RET
    PRINT_DE:
        PUSH DE
        LD E,' '
        CALL WRITE_CONSOLE
        LD E,'D'
        CALL WRITE_CONSOLE
        LD E,'E'
        CALL WRITE_CONSOLE
        LD E,'='
        CALL WRITE_CONSOLE
        POP DE
        PUSH DE
        LD B,0
        LD C,D
        CALL PRINTHEX
        POP DE
        LD B,0
        LD C,E
        CALL PRINTHEX
        RET

PRINT_BC:
        PUSH BC
        LD E,' '
        CALL WRITE_CONSOLE
        LD E,'B'
        CALL WRITE_CONSOLE
        LD E,'C'
        CALL WRITE_CONSOLE
        LD E,'='
        CALL WRITE_CONSOLE
        POP BC
        PUSH BC
        LD C,B
        LD B,0
        CALL PRINTHEX
        POP BC
        LD C,C
        LD B,0
        CALL PRINTHEX
        RET

; ************************************************        
    ; bdos calls that preserve registers             
    WARM_BOOT:
        LD C,0
        CALL FDOS
        RET            ; probably doesn't need a RET!
    READ_CONSOLE:            ; returns answer in A
        LD C,1
        CALL FDOS
        RET
    WRITE_CONSOLE:            ; prints letter in E
        LD C,2            ; FUNCTION NUMBER
        CALL FDOS
        RET    
    WRITE_STRING:            ; prints string at DE (ends with $)
        LD C,9
        CALL FDOS
        RET
    WRITE_STRING_CR:        ; prints string and new line at end
        LD C,9
        CALL FDOS
        LD DE,CRLF
        LD C,9
        CALL FDOS
        RET

READ_BUFFER:            ;like input in basic, reads a string from keyboard
        LD C,10
        LD DE,READBUFF
        CALL FDOS
        RET
    OPEN_FILE:            ; if opening a file for write to drive A etc, need to call create_file first
        CALL SET_DMA
        LD C,15
        LD DE,FCB
        CALL FDOS
        RET
    CLOSE_FILE:
        LD C,16
        LD DE,FCB
        CALL FDOS
        RET
    DELETE_FILE:
        LD C,19
        LD DE,FCB
        CALL FDOS
        RET
    READ_SEQ:
        ; returns a=0 for success, a=1 for fail (a=1 for eof as well)
        ; 128 bytes at set_dma location (80H)
        LD C,20
        LD DE,FCB
        CALL FDOS
        RET
    WRITE_SEQ:
        LD C,21
        LD DE,FCB
        CALL FDOS
        RET
    CREATE_FILE:
        CALL SET_DMA
        LD C,22
        LD DE,FCB
        CALL FDOS
        RET
    GET_DRIVE:
        LD C,25
        CALL FDOS
        RET
    SET_DMA:
        LD C,26
        LD DE,080H    ; STANDARD DMA ADDRESS IS 80H
        CALL FDOS
        RET

FILE_SIZE:
        LD C,35
        LD DE,FCB    ; PASS FCB CONTAINING FILE NAME
        CALL FDOS    ; RETURNS RECORDS IN FCB+33,35,35 
                ; ALSO RECORDS IN CDE
        LD DE,FCB    ; MOVE BYTES TO CDE 24 BIT NUMBER
        LD HL,33    ; BUT WOULD ALWAYS BE A 16 BIT NUMBER
        ADD HL,DE    ; AS 65535*128 IS 8MB
        LD A,(HL)    ; SO ANSWER REALLY IS DE RECORDS
        LD E,A
        INC HL
        LD A,(HL)
        LD D,A
        INC HL
        LD A,(HL)
        LD C,A
        RET        ; answer in DE number of records

PRINTHEX:    ; print the hex value in C to the display
    ; Hex to Ascii. Hex value in C. Answer in hl then print it.    preserves other registers        
        LD A,0F0H
        AND C
        RRCA
        RRCA
        RRCA
        RRCA
        CALL PHEX1
        LD HL,STRING1    ; Put answer here in string array
        LD (HL),A        ; store A
          LD A,0FH
        AND C
        CALL PHEX1
        INC HL        ; Add one to string array
        LD (HL),A        ; store low nibble
        INC HL
        LD A,'$'
        LD (HL),A        ; Store end of string marker
        LD DE,STRING1
        CALL WRITE_STRING
        RET
    PHEX1:ADD A,30H
        CP 3AH
        RET M
        ADD A,7
        RET

; *************** data here **************************

CRLF:        DB    13,10,'$'
    READBUFF:    DB    'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ$'
    FCB:        DB     0,'FILENAMECOM',0,0,0,0,0
    STRING1:    DB    'Connects to port2 @ 1200 baud. Hit ~ to finish',13,10,0  
    STRING2:     DB        '#BET<Enter> to log into BETA',13,10,0
    STRING3:        DB        'Run PORT2OFF on remote computer to disconnect',13,10,0
    STRING4:    DB    27,'[noparse][[/noparse]2J',0 ; for clear string
    KEYBUFFER:    DB        '0123456789ABCDEF' 
    KEYHEAD:    DB    0
    KEYTAIL:    DB    0
    COUNTER:    DW    0

END

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Dr_Acula) : 1/19/2010 2:48:41 AM GMT
    edited 2010-01-19 04:43
    Nice work Drac. A great HOOT to get the wireless running.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2010-01-20 13:14
    Thanks cluso.

Much of this probably seems a bit esoteric, but I'm hoping to demonstrate useful things soon. eg take a picture and send it wirelessly round a network.

Anything you can do manually you ought to be able to do automatically. Just pretend someone typed in various things and put in the appropriate delays.

This is a quick and simple mbasic program to demonstrate an automatic login to a remote board, get the A> back and then logout. (mbasic is the quickest to write and debug. I'll translate to sbasic once it is working)

Next step, do an xmodem file transfer automatically.

10 GOSUB 360:' Clear the port 2 buffer
    20 A$="#BET"+CHR$(13)+CHR$(10)
    30 GOSUB 110:' output A$
    40 GOSUB 320:' Longer delay
    50 PRINT "Connected to remote board"
    60 GOSUB 200:' get response
    70 IF A=33 THEN GOTO 60:' more bytes to get back
    80 A$="LOGOFF"+CHR$(13)+CHR$(10)
    90 GOSUB 110
    100 END
    110 ' **** output A$ to port 2 *****
    120 FOR I=1 TO LEN(A$)
    130   A=ASC(MID$(A$,I,1))
    140   PRINT CHR$(A);
    150   GOSUB 270:' delay
    160   OUT (&H78),A
    170 NEXT I
    180 PRINT
    190 RETURN
    200 ' get characters from port 2 
    210 A=INP(&H7D)
    220 IF A=32 THEN RETURN
    230 ' there is a byte ready to collect
    240 B=INP(&H78)
    250 PRINT CHR$(B);
    260 RETURN
    270 ' *** short delay ****
    280 ' line below 50 too fast, 75 works, 100 to be sure
    290 FOR J=1 TO 100
    300 NEXT J
    310 RETURN
    320 ' *** longer delay ****
    330 FOR J=1 TO 400
    340 NEXT J
    350 RETURN
    360 ' *** Clear port 2 buffer ***
    370 A=INP(&H7D)
    380 IF A=32 THEN RETURN
    390 A=INP(&H78):' get the character
    400 GOTO 370
    410 RETURN
    Ok

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Dr_Acula) : 1/20/2010 9:48:44 PM GMT
    edited 2010-01-20 15:12
    Nice work smile.gif

Fancy posting Z80 code on a prop forum to be run on the prop !!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2010-01-20 20:45
    Thats nothing !!!!

I'm looking at some BASCOM AVR code at the moment. Two sins for the price of one.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-01-22 02:11
    It works!!! A huge thank you to DR_A for all the help believe me I bugged the poor man to death, anyway I have finally gotten my board to work as far as connecting to the prop TOOL , I can load spin programs and save to eprom or ram my next
    big task is getting the whole board to run now with all the chips and CPM I am just waiting for an 74HC138N chip to arrive I did not know the N meant it was a different part than just a plain 138 .. Anyway any advice or help will be greatly appreciated

I have copied all of the DR_A files from his site and unzipped them onto a 1 gig sd card will this automatically boot or is there a step I need to do to get it to read the SD card?
    Thanks guys
    edited 2010-01-22 02:41
    Dr I ended up using a 2n2222 but put it in backwards as the pin outs are reversed. Also as you can see from photos I used LM7805 and LM240 +5 and +3 voltage regulators but ran them through all the caps just like the original circuit
    Also I might add an on off switch once I get everything working properly.
    Right now I just need to know where to get spin files and how to load CPM so I can test the SD card circuit and make sure that's now working.
    2272 x 1704 - 1018K
    2272 x 1704 - 983K
    2272 x 1704 - 1002K
    edited 2010-01-22 03:09
    mike: I have posted the code for autobooting the RamBlade. You can change the SD pin numbers and burn to eeprom. That will mean that the prop will always boot from the sd card, so you do not have to reload the eeprom again.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2010-01-22 03:19
    Re spin files, if you go back to page 9 of this thread, the very last post on the 7th Jan has a zip at the bottom with all the files. See if that runs. Without all the chips you won't get much but hopefully some sort of error message on the screen.

I'm at work at the moment but when I get home I might post a binary of Catalina too, and maybe you can get that running as well. That will work with the board as you have it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔