Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
KISS Eval board (obsolete, no longer shipping) - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

KISS Eval board (obsolete, no longer shipping)

Comments

• Received mine yesterday, very nicely done board! Thank you all for making and distributing these.
  • The KISS board is what it is and, in my experience with this board, I can tell you it is a VERY FLEXIBLE, well made and versatile board. I can't imagine a board that would suit all needs and even if there was one, there are many ways to satisfy a single need.

But I'm biased. I do not use breadboards. I used to, but not any more.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    David Betz wrote: »
    Publison wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    It looks like there are double rows of pins on each side of the module. Is it possible to use it with a breadboard and still have access to adjacent pins or would you only be able to use every other pin?

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1507679/#Comment_1507679
    So unless you want to alternate between breadboard connections and jumper wires it looks like you can only use every other pin. Does anyone make a module that is designed for a breadboard with adjacent pins available on the breadboard?
    My RetroBlade2 supports sequential pins (just solder the male headers on the underside).

If you use the cheapo 170 pin breadboards you can connect 3 of these - one on the left edge for GND & P00-P15, one on the bottom edge for P16-31, and one on the right edge for P32-47 & GND.

If you use the ones with power and gnd rails, then they are slightly longer so the bottom edge will not fit into another breadboard. So you can add a breadboard on the left edge for GND, 5V 3V3, GND & P00-15 and on the right edge for P32-47 & GND, 3V3, 5V, GND.

Or you can solder directly into Peter's microMAT prototyping board.
  • Please move the discussion about pinout to that thread. This one is for orders and dsicussion about shipping.
  • Now it's official, the UK has left the EU. My favorite shipping carrier (Hermes) for small parcels no longer offers shipping to UK. :( DHL is some € more expensive and I have to fill out a customs declaration form. A few days earlier it still worked without.
  • @ManAtWork

Ah well. If I owe you more money please let me know

Dave
  • Update: Unfortunatelly there is some trouble with shipping. The parcel to Teva in Thailand seems to be lost. I filed a insurance case but this takes time. I have refunded the money via Paypal. There are also problems shipping to the UK. I'm trying to find a solution.

My stock here in Europe is sold out at the moment since I had to reserve some boards for my own projects. If there is demand I can produce some more.

There is still stock available in the USA (Publison).
  • Hi

Just received mine here in UK.
    Looks very professional.
    Haven't tried it yet but thanks for making these available in europe.

Dave
  • It is not just looking very professional :smile: .

Just try it out. You're going to love it.
  • @ManAtWork if you can get one of these to me I can feature it on the Parallax site.

Ken Gracey
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2021-01-04 17:58
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    @ManAtWork if you can get one of these to me I can feature it on the Parallax site.

Ken Gracey

Ken, I still have 8 left in US stock. I'll send you one of mine.
  • This is a great honour to me. But I'm not sure if I want too much advertising for my board. At the beginning, it was meant as temporary gap-filler because the P2 edge and eval boards from other forum members were still not available. I know, there may be cases where the KISS board is easier to use because it doesn't need any special adaptors or connectors. But I don't want to compete with Parallax products neither am I very good as a dealer.

But if you think it helps promoting the P2 I'd be glad to give any support I can. Unfortunatelly, my stepper driver project (based on the KISS board) is still far away from anytrhing that can be presented.

• Humble Man At Work.

Thank you for the KISS board. It certainly is (to me) much, much more than just a gap-filler.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2021-01-05 20:58
    @ManAtWork,
    Ken assured me a long time ago Parallax sees other boards as helping gain attraction to the cause and openly supports them. And, Parallax still gets to sell chips. Your KISS board is a great addition to the mix :smile:
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2021-03-26 13:37

Still 5 in North America stock.

Contact nicolas@benezan.de for payment instructions.

• Is anybody interested in some more boards? There are still some in Publisons stock in the USA but here in Europe I ran out of it. I'd assemble some more if anybody is interested.

• @ManAtWork said:
    Is anybody interested in some more boards? There are still some in Publisons stock in the USA but here in Europe I ran out of it. I'd assemble some more if anybody is interested.

I'll take 2 if you make more for Europe. But don't assemble only for me

• Ok, I'll assembler another batch. But it will take some time as we are currently very busy.

• @ManAtWork said:
    Ok, I'll assembler another batch. But it will take some time as we are currently very busy.

I'm also interested in one of the boards from the EU batch.
    Do you know what will be the price and shipping costs to EU?

• @loboris1 said:
    I'm also interested in one of the boards from the EU batch.
    Do you know what will be the price and shipping costs to EU?

It used to be 40 EURO apiece plus shipping within the EU but outside of DE (13 EURO in my case) but it would be good if ManAtWork could update these details when he's ready.

• @loboris1 and @rosco_pc

12 boards are assembled and ready to ship. Please refer to the first post for how to order.

• @ManAtWork said:
    @loboris1 and @rosco_pc

12 boards are assembled and ready to ship. Please refer to the first post for how to order.

That was quick :)
    mail send

• Update: boards to Rosco_pc and Loboris1 shipped.

• 5 boards still available for North America shipping.

• Update: 16 boards available in the USA, 6 in Europe. Ordered 100 new (empty) PCBs.

• Received another 16 new boards as Nick has said. Available to North America.

• I've successfully tested 72 boards, today. The "basic version" (without SD card socket) is available as special offer for €20 + shipping. It will take a few days until they are ready. I'm on holiday tomorrow and I have to talk to ErNa how we handle shipping in the most efficient way. Publison has some boards in stock which could ship immediately within the USA.

I'll assemble the "extended version" (with SD card socket) when I'm back from holiday. I can't tell the exact price, yet, but it will be a few $ more but surely a lot less than the original €40.

• Cool.
    I'm in for both versions. Will get in touch when you return. Happy holidays.

• Yesterday, I've assembled 176 of the KISS boards with SD card. So now we have 248 boards alltogether.

Unfortunatelly, we have a bit of bad timing. Assembly and testing got delayd because of the SPI flash problem. I've been on holiday the last week and now ErNa who volunteered for organising all the shipment is on vacation for two weeks. So distribution won't start before August 30th. Hopefully I can send some of the boards to Publison, earlier.

• Yesterday, I've assembled 176 of the KISS boards with SD card. So now we have 248 boards altogether.

This is great news.
    These boards really do look nice. Thanks for all the effort.