Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum update progress report - Page 8 — Parallax Forums

Forum update progress report

Comments

• I may have missed it, but how do you add code blocks now, not seeing a selection for that option?

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,091
    edited 2021-01-28 13:35

I just want the generic browser edit box back. All the javascript junk interferes and makes things slow.

BTW: The post numbering doesn't show when not logged in either.

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2021-01-28 14:12

It looks like there's no sorting of threads - I don't see updated threads popping up to the top - I would expect to find them just below the sticky ones? Instead I see the occasional "N new" in between a number of threads without updates. This will make it very hard to keep track of anything.

• Seems like this behaviour is as bad as before, i.e. posts are sorted according to last updated time, regardless if you have read them or not. I'd also like to see my unread posts at top, this is even more important now when only a handful of posts are visible on the screen.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066

@VonSzarvas

Thanks for you tireless efforts trying to make this Smile vanilla software just basically work.

While it’s not the easiest to use ATM, I’ll work around it while you try and get some decent functionality back.

• Code blocks are entered in markdown format, so type three back ticks and hit enter

hello
    I'm a code block

When you're done, click the down cursor key, to get to the next line (The line I'm on now).

Alternatively, you could also (from within the code block), hit enter to go to a clear line at the end of your block, then click the </> code block icon on the left, and select the backward P paragraph icon instead.

There might be other ways that markdown gurus know about.

Also, you can change some inline content to bold, italic, or inline code, by selecting the code, then from the pop-up menu which will appear above the selected text, choose the style you want.

• Thanks for the info, hadn’t noticed the little symbol beside the text box before.

You have a thankless job trying to please everyone so let me say thank you for your efforts!

Bob Sweeney

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2021-01-28 17:38

+1 From me as well.

I'll also throw in some low priority requests.

It would be great to see who started a thread who was the last to post to the thread in the "Recent Discussion" list. I didn't realize how much I liked this feature until it was gone.

Thanks for working on making the forum better.

Edit: I didn't have the window wide enough to see the user names. See the post below by @Wuerfel_21

• Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,351
    edited 2021-01-28 17:18

It would be great to see who started a thread who was the last to post to the thread in the "Recent Discussion" list. I didn't realize how much I liked this feature until it was gone.

That's still there, it just hides it if your screen is too narrow. (the cutoff is 1272px)

• Thank you. I have a wide monitor so I generally don't "maximize" windows. I had Chrome a too narrow to see the user info.

1272px is a bit wider than I'd like but it's not a big deal.

Thanks again for pointing this out.

• Uh Oh, just noticed something really, really, really bad: Non-image attachments on very old posts are all gone now.

• Wait what the Smile?

okay, false alarm, they just take like a minute to load?

• The attachment on this thread was not there a minute ago, but now it is, no reload.

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,262
    edited 2021-01-28 18:20

Some good news, I have the editor box issues fixed in my local environment (cursor leaping and occasional CPU freezing).

I can't get access to upload the fixes today, but I'll try again tomorrow or else come in on the weekend.

As a bonus, with fingers crossed (and thanks to Wuerfel_21) we will have the spin and spin2 code highlighting working too!

I'll look back on other issues from this thread after that, and as some are already covered in the next upload, I'll wait to verify them all together before updating the todo list.

Heads-up, I won't have much more time after this week, given the exciting new P2 Edge module with 32MB RAM needs serious focus for some weeks! But we will check in periodically through the year. Maybe we could all benefit from a suggestions thread with vote up/down buttons. Hmm.. maybe that will happen :)

edited 2021-01-28 18:28

@VonSzarvas You got the latest version off github, right? https://github.com/Wuerfel21/hljs-spin/blob/master/spin.js

Infact, I just fixed a couple more bugs that I saw just by looking at it again

• Why is "new" not shaded when "2 new" is?

I would be happier if both were highlighted in a brighter color or if the entire box were highlighted. (I'm also curious why the above screen capture got posted so much bigger than life.)

-Phil

• Why is "new" not shaded when "2 new" is?

Because they mean different things. "new" means it's a thread you haven't read. "2 new" is a thread you have read that has 2 new replies

• No, they mean the same thing: the thread has content that I've not read. They should be highlighted the same.

-Phil

• I hadn't :) But will check that hub before starting to get the very latest.

Thanks for the link.

• roglohrogloh Posts: 5,119
    edited 2021-01-28 23:08

Yes I agree. The "new" indicator is something I need to look for all the time, and it seems a bit subtle and doesn't stand out a great deal. A brighter red bold text for that or some other high contrast colour combination could be useful to see this quickly.

The other thing is the discussion list page format almost seems one font size too large in comparison to the actual discussion page format (which is far nicer for readability/usability). I can compensate for this if I adjust the zoom size down in my browser to try to see more actual discussions on a page but then if I select one to view, the discussion viewer page gets too small and I need to alternate between these two zoom sizes on different web pages for best results. Am using Firefox on a MacBook Pro @2560x1600 screen. Maybe the pages are more optimized for a 1920x1080 screen.

• Where's the Preview button?

• It looks like we don't need one. What we enter is previewed as we enter it.

-Phil

edited 2021-01-29 01:28

RE: Information density on the thread lists.

Unless Von has something better in store, here's a go at making the thread lists a bit denser (and arguably prettier). This also massively benefits on mobile.

Before:

After:

/* front page tweaks */
    .CategoryBox+.CategoryBox {
        margin-top: 0px;
    }
    .MorePager {
        margin-top: 0px;
    }
    .DataList {
        margin-bottom: 8px;
    }
    .CategoryBox .H {
        margin-bottom: 4px;
        font-size: 28px;   
    }
    .DataList li.Item {
        padding: 3px 7px;
    }

/* thread list tweaks */
    .DataTable .Title.Title {
        display: inline;
    }
    .DataTable.DiscussionsTable.DiscussionsTable .MiniPager {
    }
    .DataTable .Item .Meta {
    }
    .DataTable td.BigCount {
        width: 55px;
    }
    .DataTable .Item td {
        padding: 3px 0px;
    }
    .DataTable td.FirstUser, .DataTable td.LastUser {
        width: 150px;
    }
    .DataTable tbody td.FirstUser .Wrap, .DataTable tbody td.LastUser .Wrap {
        padding-left: 36px;
    }
    .DataTable tbody td.LastUser, .DataTable tbody td.FirstUser{
        padding-left: 4px;
    }

/* mark read/unread threads*/
    .Item.Read:not(.Announcement) td {
        background-color: rgba(255,255,255,0.6) !important;
    }
    .Item.Read .Title {
        color: #41546c !important;
    }
    .UserLoggedIn .Item.Unread {
        box-shadow: 0 1px 6px 0 rgba(32,32,160,0.35);
    }
    .HasNew.NewCommentCount:not(.JustNew) {
        background-color: transparent !important;
    }
    .HasNew.NewCommentCount {
        font-weight: 600 !important;
    }

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,091
    edited 2021-01-29 01:25

Anyone got a heads-up on markdown codes? I can't figure out how to make a code block.

PS: Quoting someone else's post to examine doesn't help either because that's still not editable/examinable.

•  I can't figure out how to make a code block.

Go to a new line, click the paragraph icon to the left of the edit box, click the quotes icon in the popup, select code block. Then paste in your code (typing it in directly is pain currently, Von is working on it).

• Wuerfel_21,

I really like your high-density rendition. VonSzarvas, any reason this can't be done?

-Phil

• I second that, Wuerfel_21's high density view is perfect!

• Yes increasing the density on the list page is great though I think if you could fit that "new" indicator icon at the left side / beginning of each discussion title in the list, it could make it faster to scan down the list quickly and see the new thread/comments instead of hunting for it in different rightmost positions on each line. The new indicator could also indent new thread slightly making them stand out more, or perhaps there is a way to leave space available for the new indicator to keep each name aligned and looking a bit prettier?