Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum update progress report - Page 6 — Parallax Forums

Forum update progress report

Comments

• Signatures fixed, for @dgately and 63 others.

Editor seems a bit more stable now. Looking at the cursor jump in code block mode next

• I've messed some more with the Spin highlighting stuff, fixed some bugs and improved auto-detection quite a bit.

Also put it on GitHub because why not.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,091
    edited 2021-01-26 13:27

I don't much like the new editor. It requires scripting to be enabled and therefore it's always going to be very sluggish.

The old software was much superior.

• And oops, there was a (very minor) bug in that one

• That sounds like a plan.

I've seen some of the things people are discussing.

• Thanks for adding the post numbers, should make it easier to find old posts

When looking for new posts in a group such as P2, there is a label of new or number of new posts listed, is it possible to highlight the entries in addition to the label to make these stand out more when scrolling through a list of threads? I’ve already found myself accidentally skipping over threads I want to read, a more visual indicator would be helpful.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,091

Can't find the logout button any longer.

• Click your avatar (top right of screen). Sign out is the last option.

• Was it the spin2 file you couldn't upload before, or some other... ?

You can upload spin and spin2 now.

Not sure about removing the security totally... that's not a quick decision. But if there's some filetypes still missing, we can get them added to the list.

• Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,351
    edited 2021-01-26 16:42

Spin's always been fine, the problem was uploading the JS file. I always work around this issue by just putting it into a ZIP, but that's kindof annoying.

Off the top of my head, I'd probably whitelist the following (in addition to what already is):

• Programming languages: js, ts, css, py, rb, hpp
    • Media files: mp3, ogg, opus, flac, mkv, webm, mid
    • Other stuff: md, yml, json

• Also RE this, it actually does align to the right if the window is wide enough to not llinebreak the post title. Even better, I guess.

• Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,351
    edited 2021-01-26 17:46

Also: I figured out why old browsers display blank pages

For some reason there's a

body {
      visibility: hidden;
    }

in the CSS somewhere. On new-enough browsers, this gets overriden by an inline style element that's apparently created by JS. If you were to put that bit of style in the site (or remove the nonsense rule from whatever file it is coming from), it becomes possible to read the forum in old browsers, albeit with slightly gonked layout. Writing posts won't work though, editor's too a d v a n c e d .

body {
      visibility: visible !important;
    }

(This modification doesn't seem to negatively impact new browsers (I'm using Vivaldi 3.5)

[Pictured: Forum displaying semi-correctly in Opera 12]

• I guess that's the intention-- not to show something broken on old browsers that might lead to frustration 🙈

Anyhow... lets try with the override. Added to CSS. If that get's @TonyB_ online again, then it's gotta be worth it.

Thanks for the idea @Wuerfel_21

• Cool. It even works on the Wii now :)

Well, sortof, anyways. Loads very slow and it bugs out the Wii's network connection after awhile, but good enough for a laugh.

Surprisingly, being an even older Opera version, everything renders perfectly fine (probably because it's so low-res)

• 😁👍️

• Listen to the customers, I'm thinking most forum members are Parallax customers. My vote is return to the previous format.

• Is it possible to move the avatar within the frame and the arrow point to the right instead. Then we can make better use of the space for text. The height on the right is blank anyway.

• Another issue: There's no way to manually trigger a draft save. That, combined with the WYSIWYG-related inability to simply copy the editor content, is quite annoying

• A couple things:

1. In the old forum, it was possible to dismiss Announcements. I don't see that option anymore.
    2. I actually liked the faded yellow background in code blocks. It's the color I use with UltraEdit. Can it come back, please, if not too many forumistas object?

Regarding the edit seizures: I experienced these yesterday in Chrome on my MacBook. In fact, it froze every Parallax site, including shopping. Oddly enough, my Win7 PC was not affected.

-Phil

• Is there an option we can enable for the editor that lets you see/edit the source markdown? That would be ideal. So like toggle between "WYSIWYG edit" and "markdown source edit".

• Dismiss Announcements is now working. Thx.

-Phil

• So far, I've used this a little. Format is growing on me. While I second the comments made on overall information density, it's not a worry. Whatever we all settle on will be just fine. Trends seem to be away from all that right now. I predict in half a decade, maybe a little more, those trends will swing back the other way. Just give it time, lol

So, how are we doing quotes right now?

This is what I just did: https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1515370/#Comment_1515370

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2021-01-27 00:41

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet but I don't see a link to the Parallax store. Not a high priority I'm sure but just something to add to the list. (Edit: I see it's already on the list provided in post #93.)

While I'm making requests, it would be fantastic if there were a way to fix the many broken links within the forum. I have listed a bunch forum posts I want to keep track of in the thread linked in my signature. I was able to fix a lot of the links just by replacing "showthread.php?" with "discussion/". It sure seems like this sort of fix shouldn't be too hard to automate.

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2021-01-26 21:13

[quote=Duane Degn]It sure seems like this sort of fix shouldn't be too hard to automate.[/quote]

It's not hard at all. It just requires spidering through the forum with a Perl script that uses a regex to do the substitution.

-Phil

Gaaah!! The old BBcodes no longer work, and I can't figure out a way to do a partial quote from a user's post.

• TonyB_TonyB_ Posts: 2,099
    edited 2021-01-26 21:44

Thanks to Wuerfel_21 and VonSzarvas, I can view the forum again with Firefox 3.6.28 and Win98SE.

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B and it seems I will have to use that to post messages, but its text is more fuzzy compared to Win98SE. I prefer to use the latter for browsing as unfortunately I am now suffering from oscillopsia.

Issues:

1. Quote does not work on the RPi running Chromium 78.0.3904.108. Clicking Quote just shows the whole last page again.
    2. I cannot see any quotes of earlier messages on FF 3.6.28. I see a URL in full but when I click on it, I get "Problem loading page - the connection was interrupted". Is there some timeout that could be adjusted?
    3. Editing a new comment on Chromium is often incredibly slow with waits of more than a minute or several minutes for no apparent reason.

Suggestions:

1. Can the background colour of a topic with unread messages be changed from white to pale yellow, then revert to white when all message have been read?
    2. Can the online users be listed one per line, as before?
  • Yes, partial quotes would be nice. I realize that quoted posts are now in a collapsed box that hides most of their content, but I like to break up quoted content as I respond to portions of a post, iteratively! (i.e. I edit the quoted text, removing irrelevant lines, adding others, as I respond to a previous post).

dgately

• On the main page, whether signed in or not, there is no dates for individual forums for me to see if latest posts are new to me or not. This seriously affects the usefullness of the website. I can't be expected to pop into each forum topic to manually see if there is a new post or not.

The 'NEW' field doesn't mean anything because I may have elected not to read an individual forum's posts yet even if I am interested in the subject. Need to read dates for most recent post in a subject

Also, as I am typing this it's slow and laggy. This is Win8.1 dual core 2.5 ghz computer. This is really not a good sign dudes..... Go back to the old software

• When editing my Profile, I notice that the menu list of Profile options disappears when selecting "Who's Online Settings":

You have to click on "HOME" to return back ups to the other editable options...

Thank you for all the fixups, so far!

dgately

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2021-01-27 00:39

This post is under construction. It posted before I could finish it. I don't see a way to delete it so I'm presently editing it.

In post #179 @The_Master said "Go back to the old software"

Apparently this isn't an option.

In post #137 @VonSzarvas said "The old system could not stay operating beyond Jan 30."

I don't think there's an option to continue with the old software. I think the intention is to get the forum to look at least as good as the old one. I'm sure the plan is to make it better. I've seen a lot of progress since the change was first made. I'm presently optimistic the forum will be as usable as it previously had been (if not better).

As others have said, the ability to partially quote someone would be really nice. Attempting to quote from both page 8 and page 6 of this thread made my text entry box disappear. When clicked "Leave a Comment" my partially composted reply was posted. I didn't see a way to deleted my prematurely created reply so I edited this reply rather than starting fresh as I had initially intended.