Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum update progress report — Parallax Forums

Forum update progress report

Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,351
edited 2021-02-02 15:04 in General Discussion
  • It seems the editor has been changed from BBcode to Markdown. May be intentional. Inline code works now, so yay! (editing old posts still uses BBcode, oddly enough)
  • But now the big code blocks are kinda toast
big code
is
toast
  • The code button in the editor inserts an inline code segment (which ignores line breaks within it) instead of a code block

• My TM smybols turn into this UlgyMess™: ™

EDIT 1:
- Precise post times are no longer displayed (still available by hovering over the post date). May be intentional.

Comments

• Thanks for the reports. Appreciated.

I've set the config back to BBcode default. (I'm wondering if BBcode is still the preferred style ? Markdown appears to have some advantages)

The big blocks will get fixed tomorrow when the theme is worked on.

TM... they look ok ? ™ ™ ™

Post times.... sure, I'll check where that option went.

• The TMs look ok in preview, but get turned into big low-res images when you actually post them.

I'd actually prefer Markdown in general (and I'd assume most people are used to it these days from github, discord, reddit, etc using it) and it seems to support inline code blocks and proper lists here, so I actually kinda liked that. The main problem is that inserting code in a sensible manner (which new users always seem to have trouble with as-is) becomes even less obvious. If it can be exposed as a user choice, that'd be best.
  • Inline images appear to have a problem now. For example this reply has several images included inline but I only see small a small icon with the name of the image where the photo should appear.

The "link" feature has a strange behavior now. After adding the URL the text box remains and it won't dismiss when the "cancel" button is pressed. The text box will vanish when the main text window is clicked.
  • I'm just unsure what's my real opinion about the fact that posts now have only the time of the day element as a timestamp, lacking the month/day/year they where posted.

For slow-paced information exchange, it'll be not a real problem, to derive to which specific date any post refers, without having to scan thru other pages, backwards.

But for hot subjects, where the number of interventions can be counted at dozen-per-hour paces (or even higher numbers), it would be at least "strange", needing to scan back, one or more pages, only to make sure where the discussion was left, from your (mine, theirs,...) POV.

Perhaps it's just me, barking at the wrong tree...
  • Oh, the editor just changed completely. Finally got rid of the misleading youtube button, but the code block is now hidden away a bit too much IMO.
    Also: The quote buttons on posts are missing now?

And yes, as Duane said, attached images are ALL BORKED.

The timestamp thing is indeed now the opposite problem, but you can still get the full timestamp by hovering, so not all is lost.
  • Hi Wuerfel_21

You're right, perhaps it's only me, and a bit of rust invading my brain cogs, affecting its plasticity. Lets spend some time on it, slowly digesting...
  • Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,351
    edited 2021-01-23 01:00
    It seems all uploaded files were moved to new locations. This should be fixed ASAP.
  • Those images will be fixed in the morning, along with anything else reported here that we can achieve in the standard Vanilla forum package or via plugins.

We are going to avoid custom code this time, so hopefully we can avoid having these 'stuff gets broken' situations in the future.

• Uhm, now all uploaded files are completly gone! That's no good!
  • Just want to put in my vote for Markdown instead of bbcode. Way more preferred.
  • And it looks like a bunch of avatars (mine!) got borked too...
  • anything else reported here

The "quote" button which was on the bottom of each reply is also gone.
  • I agree with everyone else Von, the whole idea was good, but we need the return of the quote function.

---
    Mascot asleep.

Swimming bots on the beach.
  • @Wuerfel_21 said:
    Oh, the editor just changed completely. Finally got rid of the misleading youtube button, but the code block is now hidden away a bit too much IMO.
    Also: The quote buttons on posts are missing now?

And yes, as Duane said, attached images are ALL BORKED.

The timestamp thing is indeed now the opposite problem, but you can still get the full timestamp by hovering, so not all is lost.

Sorry for a stupid question, but how do you hover using a phone or other device without a cursor?

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,262
    edited 2021-01-23 09:08
    Update: These items fixed:

Quote button,
    Code styling, (desktop theme)
    Date/Time stamps,
    Inline images

Will take a look at BBCode vs Markdown later, along with mobile theme fixes and some general theme updates.

• Another thing: Not sure if it was always like that, but user signatures aren't shown when not logged in.
  • Wuerfel_21 wrote: »
    Another thing: Not sure if it was always like that, but user signatures aren't shown when not logged in.

That's correct. Spammers abuse the sigs otherwise.
  • VonSzarvas wrote: »
    Update: These items fixed:

Thank you.

• AwesomeCronkAwesomeCronk Posts: 1,055
    edited 2021-01-23 22:11

I would personally vouch for markdown or potentially the option to pick one. May not be the right thread for this but I was mentioned above so I thought I’d chime in.

edited 2021-01-23 22:56
    I would personally vouch for markdown or potentially the option to pick one.

Thanks for the vote.
    edited 2021-01-25 15:57
    This standard option "Advanced Editor" seems to tidy and improve on what we have now:

https://success.vanillaforums.com/kb/articles/12-advanced-editor

I'll test it with markdown tomorrow.

Update: That editor is EOL and broken. No go!
  • I vote to keep bbcode. What happens to the bbcode already in the forum if markdown is the only option?

-Phil
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066

I’ve noticed for some time that the forum load became very slow. Think it was around the time the hosting changed. It’s painful and getting worse (subjectively). Anyone else noticed?

• I vote to keep bbcode. What happens to the bbcode already in the forum if markdown is the only option?

-Phil

Each post is rendered using the markup style it was entered with.

Potentially the user could decide which to use. (Although such an option is not active now).

For example, the 1st post in this thread was entered in markdown.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2021-01-24 08:46
    Are we back to that mode we had once where it had a very narrow activity window for reporting online users?
    Now I've just checked again and it's just me!
  • MaciekMaciek Posts: 668
    edited 2021-01-24 13:08
    I've noticed too. I ca nsee three users logged in, me included.
    Moreover, the default icon picture has been apperetly changed but it only seems to affect the non user uploaded ones. Anybody else notice that or is it just me ?
  • I see that too. Just me.
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed?

Noticed but I don't find it painfully slow. Just a nuisance. It's the pages with multiple images where I notice it.

• Once upon a time the individual posts in a thread were numbered which made it easier to tell someone where to check up on an entry. Is it possible to get that feature turned on again?
  • DiverBob wrote: »
    Once upon a time the individual posts in a thread were numbered which made it easier to tell someone where to check up on an entry. Is it possible to get that feature turned on again?

I also liked this feature.