Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum update progress report - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Forum update progress report

Comments

• You can always get the link to any particular post by copying the link that's on the timestamp.

This is the link for the post right above this one: https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1515115/#Comment_1515115

And for another example, this is the link to a very quotable post of Chip's: https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1488017/#Comment_1488017

getlink.png
    685 x 635 - 44K
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,620
    edited 2021-01-25 17:52

macOS style "Copy Link":

EDIT: Removing post error (test)... FAILED! - editing this post does not repair the claimed "rich post" error.

• Here's a new editor. Accepts markdown and tries to make text entry simple.

Is this an improvement ?

We should see all the old BBCode posts rendering properly, but please flag if you see any odd-balls !

code block

or code inline

Drag-drop images or files.

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2021-01-24 23:15

Is this the new look? I think if I make the window full screen I could probably read as many as 10 posts at a time !!

Then I tried to attach an image and got a failed with status code 500 !!!

Really busted bad this time !!!!

EDIT: ok - tried again after @VonSzarvas fixed it. Tried to strike out the last couple of lines. Not sure how to do that yet.

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,262
    edited 2021-01-24 23:04

Seems the old embedded image plugin conflicts. Some images will not show up inline until tomorrow.

@Peter Jakacki Your CSS looks different. Could you try to clear cache ? Maybe shift+F5 if you're on Chrome ?

• With the new theme today, now there's too much vertical white space between lines in a text paragraph in my opinion. CSS line-height property is I'm guessing 1.6

Why so much? Could there be multiple display themes to pick from?

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2021-01-24 23:13

I did the whole shift+F5 thing already and also checked it in Chromium and it's the same big wide open whitespaces

I showed you mine, you show me yours.

• Owie ouch, this is very bright.

Also, the editor is some terrible markdown/WYSIWG hybrid nonsense now. At least that means entering code isn't comically clunky, as it switches to monospace when you enter a code block. You win some, you lose some I guess.

And please fix those upload locations again...

• I tried it again in Pale Moon - a fork of the old FireFox and the forums look normal, until I signed in, and then it was all white, but not all right.

• Other breakage: User avatars are cropped to circles. I guess this is a matter of taste (I personally dislike it on every site that has it), but all the existing avatars were corpped for a square frame, so they're all mis-framed now.

• Current text size seems to be more comfortable to old-eyed, like myself, including the Android version. Thanks a lot!😊

• It is more comfortable for reading on a phone for sure. Now Chip can follow the forums easier when he is working the field and crunching critters under his boots!

• Based on the feedback so far....

1. Avatars can be adjusted to almost-square soon.
    2. Line height and also the and margin between p's was reduced a bit.
    3. Theme/bright white... for starters, I'm thinking it might help to get some contrast between the signature areas and the post text. Will give it a try.
    4. Old uploaded images to show inline.
  • Right tree, but I just did a misleading bark at it, and too early...

Wherever black text is displayed onto a saturated and blue-tinted background, my eyes are being cheated, since I can see only a blueish rounded-rectangle.

I know that there must be something being displayed, but white text seems to work a lot better.

Both at Firefox (pc) and Android.

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2021-01-24 23:52

Oh no! The large format totally sucks! Why must the forum get worse every time it changes?

-Phil

• Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,351
    edited 2021-01-25 00:07

Here's a userstyle I quickly threw together to stop my eyes from completely burning out:

@-moz-document domain("forums.parallax.com") {

body {
        color: black; /* increase text contrast */
    }
    .Frame {
        background-color: #f8f8f8; /* make background less bright */
    }

.Username {
        color: black !important; /* Fix contrast issue created by the background edit above */
        font-weight: bold !important;
    }

/* reintroduce alternating post background */
    .Item.Alt.ItemComment {
        background: rgba(0,0,0,0.04);
    }
    .Item.ItemComment {
        background: rgba(0,0,0,0);
    }

/* code block fixes */
    .userContent code {
        font-family: Parallax, monospace !important;
        font-size: 16px;
        color: black;
    }
    .userContent pre {
        line-height: 1 !important;
        background-color: #FFF8C0 !important; /* prop tool CON block color...*/
        font-family: Parallax, monospace !important;
        font-size: 16px !important;
        color: black;
    }

.PhotoWrap {
        border-radius: 0px !important; /* square avatars */
    }

/* hide distracting slideshow */
    #header-slideshow {
        display: none;
    }
    }

• Uh, apparently new posts get syntax highlighted code blocks now, fancy. This broke my CSS, but I already updated it. However, it seems to soomehow autodetect the language with no manual override?

Does it detect Spin?

CON
      SAMPLE_RATE = 520_000.0  
      nf = 0.9438743967    '
      MSN = 2_00_000_000.0 * (67500.0/82000.0)
      f12 = MSN,      f11 = f12 * nf, f10 = f11 * nf, f09 = f10 * nf, f08 = f09 * nf, f07 = f08 * nf
      f06 = f07 * nf, f05 = f06 * nf, f04 = f05 * nf, f03 = f04 * nf, f02 = f03 * nf, f01 = f02 * nf

VAR                 
      byte cog
      long freqDest_, volumeDest_, modulation_, filter_, filter2_      

PUB start(right, left) 
      stop
      tempValue1 := $18000000 | left
      tempValue2 := $18000000 | right
      tempValue3 := ((1<<right) | (1<<left))&!1
      sampleRate := clkfreq/trunc(SAMPLE_RATE)
      cog := cognew(@TinySynth, @freqDest_) + 1

• @Wuerfel_21 I just dropped your CSS into the site to see how it looks.

• Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,351
    edited 2021-01-25 00:17

Does it detect Spin?

Apparently not. Seems to detect as Nix for some reason. Seems to use highlight.js, so I guess it'd work if someone wrote a Spin definition for that?

Also, quoting is very broken. If I click the quote button, I get an uneditable thing inserted into my post

You can manually turn a paragraph into a quote (after you've pasted in the text, because pasting into a quote is not allowed by the WYSIWYG gods), but that looses the reference to the original post and doesn't notify the quotee.

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2021-01-25 00:28

I vote for smaller type, still. The more stuff that I can see without scrolling, the better. Also, on the Recent Discussions page -- WAY too large a font, BTW, there's no longer any visual cueing as to which threads have unseen posts and which do not. This is essential!

But more to the point, what we had was fine. What's the point of changing it if you only make it worse?

-Phil

• That's the way they do quoting now. A compact image that can be expanded.

There's another plugin for quoting the odd line here or there... I'll check if it's still being maintained.

• OMG, you went all narrow, and it's AWFUL. The old layout was nice and would fill my window now I get a stupid narrow band in the middle, and can see much less stuff on one screen. Also, the blue was much nicer that this super blinding white.

• Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2021-01-25 00:43

Seriously, this is a GIANT step backwards in usability and readability of the forums. :(

Narrow is BAD.

So much wasted extra Smile in the message lists, used to be more compact.

Also, nothing seems to configurable at all... :(

Edit: so the narrow issue got a little better, but it still doesn't fill the window like it used to. It's 2021, gotta handle 4K monitors properly.

• The adjustments are making the forum display better, little by little, every time I F5 Refresh.

I'm using both firefox on a desktop with 3840 pixels wide, and an Android phone in vertical display.

Latest observation: when forced to really narrow on a desktop, or normally on the Android phone, the views & comments buttons become unreadable (circled):

• Including images is so much easier now!!!!

On Android Firefox the page selector is really squished.

On top, maybe it can reflow to underneath the text "Comments", and on the bottom there's plenty of room to show at least a few more pages, or just take up the entire width? Right now it's only one.

edited 2021-01-25 01:47

There is no "Preview"?

How do I write with code style?

block
    inline PUB main | x,y,z text

• block

inline text

block
    of
    code

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,262
    edited 2021-01-25 01:45

Let's swap to the old markdown editor, and see if that's preferred over the Rich (markdown / combo).

edited 2021-01-25 01:49

PUB main | x, y <== OK, now there are emoji-menus... good! And, Preview is back... Yay!

THx

• @dgately said:
    There is no "Preview"?

How do I write with code style?

block
    inline PUB main | x,y,z text

If you use the triple back ticks to surround the code block, then click the preview button (which should be beside the post-comment button), then you should see the block?
    The Rich editor is nicer I think, as that previews the code view as you type.

I'm seeing an issue with the Draft save feature though... it keeps freezing the comment box here and there. Another thing for the list.