Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
KISS Eval board (obsolete, no longer shipping) - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

KISS Eval board (obsolete, no longer shipping)

Comments

• ManAtWork wrote: »
    Update: all boards to USA are shipped to Publison

I'll have some extras for North America late adopters.
  • First two KISS boards delivered to a good home.

Great job, ManAtWork, and thank you !

• @ManAtWork
    these green leds on the KISS board - what make/model/part number are they ? Quite bright and low power. I like them. Are these from Vishay ?
  • They are from Würth Electronic, part number 150141GS73100. Yes,. they are quite bright with a 10k resistor @ 3.3V! I saw that Chip has used tristate drivers to switch the LEDs off on some eval board. No need for this, here!

I also use this LEDs in my propeller based gadget geocache: GC5R3D5
    It runs 2 years out of an LR123 cell.

BTW, the shipping to Thailand still seems to be stuck at the Frankfurt airport. Shipping to USA is said to be cleared by the customs but also still not delivered but stuck at Miami. I'm sorry but I can't do much about it at the moment.
  • Thanks, ManAtWork.

I can't easily measure the current of the led (do not have another one to connect and do not want to do a desoldering job on the board) but a simple math reveals it maxes at around 330uA or even much less and the led is surprisingly bright at that current. Initially, I thought there is a mistake on the schematic (10k instead of 1k resistor) but NO. The board and the schematic match.

Your KISS board rocks !
  • Publison wrote: »
    I'll have some extras for North America late adopters.

I bet I need one of these if they're still available. What's the total in USD?

• Hey Duane,

Follow this quote:
    To order please send me an email to "nicolas@benezan.de" with your complete postal address. I'll send you a Paypal link.
  • Yes, order instructions are in the first post. Shipping status is in post #4. I'll try to keep it up to date.

For USA: I'll collect the money and pay Publison to ship it. No need to split the payment.
  • Great job, ManAtWork. Put me on the list for one.
  • 7 boards still available for North America purchase.
  • Got mine! Thanks!!
  • doggiedoc wrote: »
    Got mine! Thanks!!

You got the whole package with cluso's boards?
  • I received my board now aswell, although the nice Swedish mail had me wait 1 week longer and then drive halfway to the airport in Stockholm to fetch it (even though I have a mail droppoint 5 mins walking from my place :( )

Nice board and the smaller eval accessory boards from Parallax fit nicely. With the larger ones (like the A/V board) you'll need to skip a slot.

3c29544d0bf68ac66442bb500d0d83.png

Have not checked if it is all working, just that it fits :)
    694 x 925 - 932K
  • Beware, these KISS boards are addictive.
    Before you know it, you'll be wanting a second one, no matter what boards and how many you already have. I have (and torture) two of them and still have a feeling I'm missing another two at least :).
    They work perfectly.
    7 boards still available for North America purchase.
    What is the price for the US boards including shipping?

• David Betz wrote: »
    Publison wrote: »
    Special offer until xmas or until they're out of stock: €40 per board,
    To order please send me an email to "nicolas@benezan.de" with your complete postal address. I'll send you a Paypal link.

• doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2020-12-15 00:58
    @Publison —
    You got the whole package with cluso's boards?
    Yes! Thanks for the prompt shipping. Can’t wait to get a break from work to play with them!

• I've received my board, thanks @ManAtWork. It looks really nice. Now I need some time to check the new features of the P2.
    David Betz wrote: »
    So we pay @ManAtWork directly in euros? What about the postage for delivering it to a US address?

So we pay @ManAtWork directly in euros? What about the postage for delivering it to a US address?

The boards are already here in the US. Postage for shipping within the US is included in the price. ManAtWork and I have worked out a reimbursement program for my costs.
    So we pay @ManAtWork directly in euros?

PayPal will convert the US dollars into euros based on the current exchange rate. PayPal also takes a couple dollars as a fee to convert the currency. When I purchased my board last week the USD total was $62.36. This includes the shipping and fee.

Thanks Jim and Nicolas. I received by board yesterday.

• I'm interested in one of these.
  • Special offer until xmas or until they're out of stock: €40 per board,

The current availability status is in the 4th post IIRC.

• It looks like there are double rows of pins on each side of the module. Is it possible to use it with a breadboard and still have access to adjacent pins or would you only be able to use every other pin?
    It looks like there are double rows of pins on each side of the module. Is it possible to use it with a breadboard and still have access to adjacent pins or would you only be able to use every other pin?

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1507679/#Comment_1507679
    It looks like there are double rows of pins on each side of the module. Is it possible to use it with a breadboard and still have access to adjacent pins or would you only be able to use every other pin?

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1507679/#Comment_1507679
    So unless you want to alternate between breadboard connections and jumper wires it looks like you can only use every other pin. Does anyone make a module that is designed for a breadboard with adjacent pins available on the breadboard?

• How many adjacent IO pins are you looking for ?

The issue with bringing out all the IO's is that the module would be so large, it would consume an entire breadboard and likely be a job-and-a-half to insert/remove.

There's a couple breakouts that offer half the IOs into breadboard and half the IOs upward. I think ManAtWork's is in that category, and one other I think I saw in the forum. Plus the #64018 breakout.

The #64019 assumes you'd sit that beside a breadboard and run your M-F jumpers into the breadboard- and thus not take up any breadboard space.

If you wanted a specific subset of pins for the breadboard, which pins would they be ? I wonder if there is a use case that's not yet on the radar..
  • I don't have any specific needs. I have a JonnyMac breadboard on order so that will let me play with adjacent pins. I also have a P2D2 or order although I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. I buy way too many Propeller boards! :smile:
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2020-12-17 16:54
    I buy way too many Propeller boards! :smile:

I'm tempted to say there's no such thing but I'm likely in the same boat.

I wouldn't try to plug the Kiss board directly into a breadboard. I'd keep it to the side of the breadboard and use jumper wires from the board. Kind of like the Propeller Professional Development Board.

I used to have a couple boards like this one.
    BreadboardProp120314b.png

After the QuickStart came out, I started using it. IMO, It's better to have the Propeller pins off to the side of the breadboard and just run a wire from the pin to the desired breadboard location.
  • Duane Degn wrote: »
    I buy way too many Propeller boards! :smile:

I'm tempted to say there's no such thing but I'm likely in the same boat.

I wouldn't try to plug the Kiss board directly into a breadboard. I'd keep it to the side of the breadboard and use jumper wires from the board. Kind of like the Propeller Professional Development Board.
    That makes sense but I already have a P2 Eval board I can use like that. I thought this Kiss board was intended for breadboard use. I guess I misunderstood. BTW, I guess there might be some demand for a simple DIP module that doesn't have all of the P2 pins accessible but will work with a breadboard. Maybe some of the pins could be available on headers on the top of the board like the Kiss board but the ones that plug into the breadboard would present sets of adjacent pins.