Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ELEV-8 Quadcopter: ordering, design files, assembly and flight! — Parallax Forums

ELEV-8 Quadcopter: ordering, design files, assembly and flight!

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
edited 2014-09-05 12:19 in Robotics
Introduction to the ELEV-8 Quadcopter
Open-source, Propeller-powered flight that may make your wildest dreams of flight come true!

December 3, 2011: the first posts in this thread is where we will maintain updated information about the ELEV-8. Expect these posts to be populated in the next couple of days! Parallax is now assembling ELEV-8s and we expect the first shipments to go out in one week.Details will be provided here. Until Nick, Kevin and I get the details up all we have is a pretty picture (below, not the guy on the left who appears seven times).

ELEV-8_Sticker.jpg

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2011-12-03 18:57
    Assembly Tools, Supplies and Additional Hardware
    Things the customer should provide before attempting an ELEV-8 build

The following tools are required to build an ELEV-8:
    • 1/4" wrench (box-end or socket)
    • 11/32 wrench or nut driver
    • #1 Phillips screwdriver
    • Soldering iron
    • Wire strippers (12-16 AWG)
    • Wire cutters (12-16 AWG)
    • Needle nose pliers
    • Heat gun or lighter for melting heat-shrink tubing
    • Scissors
    • Safety glasses
    The following supplies are also required and not included in the kit:
    • Solder
    • Velcro (for securing R/C receiver to chassis)
    The following additional hardware is also required and not included in the kit:
    • 6-channel R/C radio. The types of systems we recommend are Spektrum DX6 or Spektrum DX8 2.4 gHz. This is the same frequency as the common 2.4 gHz wireless audio and video links, so you may wish to choose a different frequency.
    • 4000 to 4400 mAh 3-cell 30C discharge rate LiPo battery
    • LiPo battery charger
    • ESC programming card for Turnigy (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2169 which is available domestically, too) *Not required, but makes programming of the ESC's easier and less time consuming.
    edited 2011-12-03 18:58
    Design Files (SolidWorks, eDrawings, DXFs, PDFs)
    Download open-source drawings here to assemble ELEV-8 kit or to build your own

Parallax's ELEV-8 design is distributed under Creative Commons 3.0 so you are free to share, change or use these drawings for any use (including commercial) - no approval from Parallax is required. We have provided all of the common formats people may wish to use including the native SolidWorks files. Each drawing format has its own benefits.For simple browsing, download the SolidWorks eDrawings viewer http://www.edrawingsviewer.com/. With this tool you can easily navigate through the various sub-assemblies with the ability to zoom, rotate and modify views. All of the parts may be made with a laser cutter, bandsaw and drill press.
    Example of SolidWorks eDrawings

SolidWorks eDrawing Sample.png
    Bill of Materials (BOM)
    Single-level BOM with usage, supplier part numbers, costs and notes in XLS format

Shown below is an XLS version of the internal Parallax manufacturing BOM for ELEV-8. You may use this BOM to identify replacement parts you wish to order or to assist with your own builds and modifications. Common suppliers are shown (like McMaster) though Parallax may purchase these components elsewhere for cost savings.This BOM includes Parallax cost for raw materials but excludes any labor time, machine fixturing costs and machine run time.

ELEV-8 BOM.png
    YouTube Videos
    First prototype flight inside Parallax, assembly examples and miscellaneous clips

These are listed in the order in which they were filmed. The most recent videos are at the bottom.

edited 2011-12-03 18:59
    Assembly Instructions
    How to put your ELEV-8 together

These are the files that you will use for Assembling your ELEV-8 Quadcopter. You will want to open "ELEV-8 ASSEMBLY GUIDE", and "ELEV-8 ASSEMBLY DOCUMENT" below. They were made to be used together. The Guide is just as it says, a Guide for assembly. It is not step by step directions for assembly, as they are not needed with the amount of information and detail combined between all of the documentation. When you open the .pdf, go to the menu and select VIEW> READ MODE. This will put the doc in order so that the pages will correlate with the step number in the Guide.

The Turnigy ESC Manual had to be split up into two documents due to it's size. You will use the two pages together to program your ESC's using your Transmitter and Receiver, unless you purchased or already have an ESC Programming Card.

Take a look at the docs, and let me know if you have any questions or comments so that I can make any necessary changes before the Kits are available. I dont want a key piece of information to be left out, so take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

-Nick
    edited 2011-12-03 18:59
    Additional Resources for Hoverfly and Quadcopters
    Reading these links and watching some videos from others will be very helpful

Content to follow.
    edited 2011-12-03 19:01
    Reserved for history
    edited 2011-12-03 19:12
    And one more just in case. . .
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2011-12-03 19:14
    Sign me up for at least one!! I gave up on scratch building mine.

Paul
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2011-12-03 19:14
    I can't wait to see this in a couple days. :)
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2011-12-03 19:17
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    I can't wait to see this in a couple days. :)
    Lucky dog.
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2011-12-03 19:46
    Ken I know I've told you allready - I want one of your full kits w/ the HoverFly sport.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2011-12-03 20:10
    Looks great Ken...
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2011-12-04 12:33
    I'd like to get a kit, too. Looking forward to finding out how to order.
  • BRBR Posts: 92
    edited 2011-12-04 20:01
    This is probably obvious to most folks, but for a complete R/C novice such as myself...would it be possible to add to the BOM a "recommended" or "reference" battery and charger combo that would be appropriate? Voltage, current, capacity, connector type? Ken stated in in the other thread that he uses 3S (11.1V), 4000mAh batteries with EC-3 connector, but nothing about current rating. There was some discussion that a current rating of 35C would be OK? I guess LiPo is the way to go? Could someone point me in the right direction?

Just to say it...other items that should perhaps be on the "user supplied" list?:
    Ken called out this motor accessory pack as a good-to-have item
    Loctite
    Battery strap
    Low battery voltage alarm? Or is this overkill?
    Anything else I'm forgetting?

We've all been there...nothing more disappointing than getting a new toy, unwrapping it, putting it together...then figuring out that one part is missing or doesn't fit right.

EDIT: just saw post #2 in this thread. Thanks, Ken.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2011-12-04 21:45
    50 landing gear out of one 12" x 12" piece of Delrin? How are you doing that? I can't fit more than 40.
  • SkoorbSkoorb Posts: 42
    edited 2011-12-05 04:45
    This is great!

What kind of flight time are you getting?
    edited 2011-12-05 05:22
    BR wrote: »
    Just to say it...other items that should perhaps be on the "user supplied" list?:
    Ken called out this motor accessory pack as a good-to-have item
    Loctite
    Battery strap
    Low battery voltage alarm? Or is this overkill?
    Anything else I'm forgetting?

We've all been there...nothing more disappointing than getting a new toy, unwrapping it, putting it together...then figuring out that one part is missing or doesn't fit right.

I agree, an official list like this would be useful - especially if it involves ordering from places that might take longer to deliver. (In fact, I actually logged in to make the same post.)
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2011-12-09 08:57
    Sweet...

I'm putting this one on my X-mas wishlist... ;-)
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2011-12-14 01:10
    Can you provide the drawings in the .ai (Adobe Illustrator) format? This will allow us to use Inkscape (Open Source) to edit the files.
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2011-12-15 08:56
    Ken after reading the manual it seems pretty clear. I have a question is that Loctite Blue 242?. After the Loctite all I am missing is the kit!
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2011-12-15 09:41
    The You Tube videos of the ELEV-8 are really impressive. What on-board camera was used and what additional parts are needed to support the camera?
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-12-15 09:48
    David, I believe they are using GoPro cameras. Seems to be the latest in lightweight HD cameras.

http://gopro.com/products/?gclid=CPas6O_QhK0CFUOo4AodeAvzSQ

N
    ot sure of the model # Ken and Jason are using.
    edited 2011-12-15 13:02
    Publison wrote: »
    David, I believe they are using GoPro cameras. Seems to be the latest in lightweight HD cameras.

http://gopro.com/products/?gclid=CPas6O_QhK0CFUOo4AodeAvzSQ

N
    ot sure of the model # Ken and Jason are using.
    Thanks for the link! I guess I misunderstood what was going on with these videos. Somehow, I thought the video was being streamed back in realtime. I guess it's just being recorded and played back later. In any case, I'd love to know which model Ken and Jason were using? Is it the $199 "Naked" model?
    edited 2011-12-15 13:39
    David Betz wrote: »
    Thanks for the link! I guess I misunderstood what was going on with these videos. Somehow, I thought the video was being streamed back in realtime. I guess it's just being recorded and played back later. In any case, I'd love to know which model Ken and Jason were using? Is it the $199 "Naked" model?

Ken talks about flying with streaming video in the build/project thread:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?133372-Ken-Cluso99-W9GFO-JasonD-s-QuadCopter-Build-Log-%28updated-info-ELEV-8-availability%29&p=1058736&viewfull=1#post1058736
  • JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
    edited 2011-12-15 13:41
    David - The only difference between the Naked and and others is the set of mounting options included. I believe I have the original GoPro HD Hero (Helmet version, but with another case that's not waterproof, for better sound). The Naked version comes with a single, curved mount, suitable for helmets. You'll probably want to get an additional flat mount at least.

The new one (HD Hero2) looks like it'll do higher frame & data rates, which would be cool, but isn't really necessary unless you're filming fast action stuff like sports.
    edited 2011-12-15 13:48
    JasonDorie wrote: »
    David - The only difference between the Naked and and others is the set of mounting options included. I believe I have the original GoPro HD Hero (Helmet version, but with another case that's not waterproof, for better sound). The Naked version comes with a single, curved mount, suitable for helmets. You'll probably want to get an additional flat mount at least.

The new one (HD Hero2) looks like it'll do higher frame & data rates, which would be cool, but isn't really necessary unless you're filming fast action stuff like sports.
    Thanks Jason!
    edited 2011-12-15 13:51
    For anyone looking for a decent charger, I use this one: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKAU0&P=FR

It doesn't do cell balancing, which you'll eventually want to do, and would need a separate (but generally inexpensive) unit for. It does charge 4 batteries at a time though, which is awesome. Up to 3A each. I fly pairs of batteries, so this is perfect for me. I'm willing to bet you could find something similar on HobbyKing that also did balancing, but I haven't looked. This one by Hitec does, but it's more expensive: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAEGM&P=M

Many battery chargers also require a 12V power supply. Some will use standard A/C wall power, but many don't, so check that too. The ones I linked above do not, so you need something like this to go with them: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWGU7&P=FR
    edited 2011-12-15 13:59
    I just checked the HD Hero2 specs, and the one other thing it does that's kind of cool is a 90 degree FOV, whereas the HD Hero is only 170 degree unless you're in 1080p mode. The wide angle is nice, but it also has a decent amount of fisheye distortion, which is annoying. The Hero 120fps mode is only available in WGA resolution, but it looks like it has a few other improvements that might make it worthwhile, like better optics, and nearly double the low-light sensitivity. (The one I have doesn't like dusk at all).

I ordered one of these a couple days ago. I'll report back on quality once I get it and have time to test it.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17200
    edited 2011-12-15 14:04
    The new Hero2 doesn't come in a "naked" version (I emailed them to ask). You need to get it in one of the packages which include mounts that you may not need (helmet, motor vehicle, surf board). The packages run $300. I haven't seen the new one discounted anywhere.