Shop Learn
P2ME2 - (was Bypass capacitors needed for P2) - Page 12 — Parallax Forums

P2ME2 - (was Bypass capacitors needed for P2)

167891012»

Comments

• roglohrogloh Posts: 3,556

@jmg said:
    Of course, they are even harder to see on the floor ;)

Yes, and they are a nightmare to hand solder. I have some of those 563 packages on my carrier board and they took me forever to solder.

I can't figure out where this part vanished to but I do hope to find it otherwise I might have to wait for Feb next year to obtain more. I know it was still inside some of its black cut tape so it is not that tiny to see. Right now my bench is a mess anyway and needs a clean up, so hopefully I can hunt it down today.

@rogloh said:

@jmg said:

Yes, and they are a nightmare to hand solder. I have some of those 563 packages on my carrier board and they took me forever to solder.

I can't figure out where this part vanished to but I do hope to find it otherwise I might have to wait for Feb next year to obtain more. I know it was still inside some of its black cut tape so it is not that tiny to see. Right now my bench is a mess anyway and needs a clean up, so hopefully I can hunt it down today.

UPDATE: FOUND IT! It was hidden at the back of my soldering iron station. How it got back there is a mystery.

• AJLAJL Posts: 427

@rogloh said:

@rogloh said:

@jmg said:

UPDATE: FOUND IT! It was hidden at the back of my soldering iron station. How it got back there is a mystery.

Well, it has legs, even if they are short. ;)

I'll show myself out ...

• @evanh said:
    Begging for a thermocouple to be sunk into the centre solder blob!
    I don't think the Prop2 ADCs are anywhere near good enough, not directly anyway.

Have you seen this?
    https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/173508/direct-thermocouple-measurement#p1

• evanhevanh Posts: 11,685

Yep, Ariba also linked it. And I do remember it again, having made comments there. I had forgotten about it.

It does solve much. But the noise at high gain is still likely an issue. And I'm not sure how accurate it ever was either.

• It's possible but I also wouldn't recommend it. Thermocouples are good for very high or very low temperatures. If you're in the range of typical sensor chips (-20 to +150°C) I'd use something like a TMP102 which is much more convenient. Or if +/-5° tolerance is acceptable a cheap NTC resistor also does the job.

I chose the MCP9701A which is +/- 2C and should do the job and looks to have good sensitivity over the full scale range expected. It also doesn't always need an i2c driver to run in the P2 for temp measurement. Stocks might be getting low so I should order it soon. I do have other i2c devices on the carrier board (LM75A) but these could be read by the supervising micro on it's bus.