Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller 2 Live Forum - Open learning and support (topics, speakers and registration!) — Parallax Forums

Propeller 2 Live Forum - Open learning and support (topics, speakers and registration!)

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
edited 2024-01-03 16:53 in Propeller 2
IMPORTANT NOTE: All Propeller Live Forum Registration Links are now found on the Parallax web site right here https://www.parallax.com/category/events/ (click on the Propeller 1 & 2 Events Tab to register)

Early%20Adopter%20Series.png

PROPELLER 2 LIVE FORUM REGISTRATION LINKS

You can find upcoming events on our event page: https://parallax.com/category/events/
Or by going to parallax.com>Community>Events and then selecting the "Propeller 1 & 2 events" tab.

PROPELLER 2 LIVE FORUM ZOOM RECORDINGS

You can find recordings of past events under the same events page on our website, by just clicking on the tab "Past Events" and scrolling down to the event you are looking for (we have multiple pages there).

Or if you prefer to search through YouTube, we will continue to post the finished video links to the Parallax Inc YouTube Channel - they're under the Propeller Live Forum Playlist and easy to find.

We invite you to present!

Now accepting presentation commitments! If you'd like to present, simply e-mail support@parallax.com with your topic summary and preferred month/date to be a presenter. We try to schedule the forum on a Wednesday, either the second or third week of each month. Start time is usually 1pm PST, but let us know if we need to accommodate for your different time-zone. We're using the Zoom Meeting format so anybody can share screen, video, and use a chat. It'll be a live meeting each time.

The recommended length is 1hr (+-15 mins) including discussion.

This very first forum post will be updated with relevant information, so there will be no need to read all the subsequent posts if you're looking for topics and links. However, I invite everybody to use this thread to comment and share ideas about what kinds of topics are of interest.

The P2 Live Forum is now open!

Ken Gracey

Comments

• Maybe a couple of you could let me know if you can access the presenter's signup page.

It's open for anybody on the internet to edit, for now. We'll see how this works out.

Ken Gracey
  • Looks live to me.

What is the picture showing, new or an older P2 Eval board?

Larry
  • larryvc wrote: »
    Looks live to me.

What is the picture showing, new or an older P2 Eval board?

Larry

The closest P2 board I could find to photograph with my iPhone, which is a Revision A Propeller 2 Evaluation Board. Revision C boards are headed to manufacturing - we hope to have them for you before July 1st.

Ken Gracey
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,767
    edited 2020-06-11 01:36
    Did nobody actually sign up yet? I don't believe it...

I may have to if nobody else does by tomorrow...

Maybe the Aussies are sleeping now... That must be it...
  • Rayman wrote: »
    Did nobody actually sign up yet? I don't believe it...

I may have to if nobody else does by tomorrow...

Maybe the Aussies are sleeping now... That must be it...

Beat ya to it
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    A few questions before I volunteer to do a presentation...

What is the recommended length? I know this is a difficult question because some topics will be more in depth than others, but a general idea of minimum to maximum would help.

I've not used zoom, so can someone point me to a good use explanation so I can test it out.

First up I'm thinking I could do one on the inbuilt ROM Serial/Debug/Monitor (and its' soft alternative).
  • We have a presenter! The registration link has been created for Peter Jakacki's "Testing Hardware with TAQOZ in ROM". Peter and all attendees should register using the link above, in the first post!

@Rayman how about some display presentation?

Ken Gracey
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    A few questions before I volunteer to do a presentation...

What is the recommended length? I know this is a difficult question because some topics will be more in depth than others, but a general idea of minimum to maximum would help.

I've not used zoom, so can someone point me to a good use explanation so I can test it out.

First up I'm thinking I could do one on the inbuilt ROM Serial/Debug/Monitor (and its' soft alternative).

Ken said: The recommended length is 1hr (+-15 mins) including discussion.

You can practice zoom with me if you like. I will ring you later to set it up.
  • Zoom is easy and I will help you during the presentation. You just need a working webcam/headset and the rest is a matter of pressing buttons. YouTube will have a number of tutorial videos too.

Ken Gracey
  • Excellent! Signed up and ready to check out what Peter has to tell us.

Given the topic, it is likely wise to have a system set up to play along.

• potatohead wrote: »
    Excellent! Signed up and ready to check out what Peter has to tell us.

Given the topic, it is likely wise to have a system set up to play along.

Yes, anyone with hardware won't need to load a thing. However it would be wise to have a good terminal emulator ready.

• Sadly, I can not make 6am on a tuesday.
  • >Sadly, I can not make 6am on a tuesday.

I would like to present but don't know the best time. Should there be a standardised/recommended best time/place?
  • I'm flexible - I can make it later or another day. Maybe if everyone that's interested could at least indicate their preferences too, that might help us to work out the best time.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Just finished speaking with Peter. We're going to do a test setup tomorrow :)

I've learnt from broadcasting live shows every week at work that it's very important to test before hand.
  • A standardized time would make this effort more effective, but it would be very inconvenient for the Australians who have much to share.

If they could handle a 7 pm Pacific time that might work well for most Americans, but not so well for the Europeans. A pm Pacific time would work well for Americans and Europeans, but not at all for Australians.

For now, Peter should pick (and stick with) his time and when we start to get some traction with the effort we'll try to standardize at the same time every week.

Ken Gracey
  • How about:
    UTC-time                                Brisbane        Los Angeles     Berlin
    Wednesday, 17 June 2020 at 03:00:00	Wed 1:00 pm	Tue 8:00 pm     Wed 5:00 am
    Wednesday, 17 June 2020 at 04:00:00	Wed 2:00 pm	Tue 9:00 pm     Wed 6:00 am
    Wednesday, 17 June 2020 at 05:00:00	Wed 3:00 pm	Tue 10:00 pm    Wed 7:00 am
    Wednesday, 17 June 2020 at 06:00:00	Wed 4:00 pm	Tue 11:00 pm    Wed 8:00 am

• Peter, how about if we change it to that first time you listed? Not ideal for Europeans, but we can't be everywhere at once.

Ken
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2020-06-11 14:26
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Peter, how about if we change it to that first time you listed? Not ideal for Europeans, but we can't be everywhere at once.

Ken
    I'm ok with 1pm Wed my time but I'm not sure about everyone else here on the east coast.
    But it will be fun. Have P2, be prepared.
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2020-06-11 15:51
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Peter, how about if we change it to that first time you listed? Not ideal for Europeans, but we can't be everywhere at once.

Ken

Here's another thought on how to deal with this (though I don't know how well Zoom would support it). Suppose instead that you have two event times set up to accommodate for time zone differences. For the second event, you start by playing back the presentation portion of the first event, followed by the rest of the event as normal. The event times would still need to accommodate the presenter, because that person would likely need to attend to answer questions. But it would at least keep the presenter from having to perform the same presentation twice. And all of the Q&A would be for the same exact presentation, which might make it easier to post-process the events into a single video.

Note that this would also allow you to record the presentation at any time, not necessarily during one of the events. In this case, you'd play back the presentation at the start of both events.
  • Depending on Peter, and any presenter, doing it again after having done one and the high value Q & A, may prove to be high value.

That has always been my preference in the past. Second one tends to be pretty great.

I don't intend to speak for anyone. Just tossing the idea out there.

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738
    Is there a way to log the meeting and then replay it?
  • Peter,
    What is the hardware set up you will use for your demo (accessory boards, monitor, pin connections, etc.) I would like to follow along.

Thanks
    Tom
  • twm47099 wrote: »
    Peter,
    What is the hardware set up you will use for your demo (accessory boards, monitor, pin connections, etc.) I would like to follow along.

Thanks
    Tom

I'm still thinking about the content and flow of the presentation but to make it easy to follow along all you need is a terminal emulator and the P2 board. It helps if you have a scope and meter to verify some of the exercises but other ones can be done via the terminal and led indicators. If you have accessory boards, then plug them in.

But I will be talking to Ray later today and what I might do is about 30 mins on testing and discovering hardware with the TAQOZ ROM. Then I will take a short break and while the topic is about the ROM, Ray (Cluso99) will then present aspects of the P2 debugger in ROM. Ray also wrote the SD loader so no doubt he will discuss that too.

Maybe Ray might take 15-20mins and then I can come back in but I might introduce TAQOZ RELOADED with sound and VGA and PS/2 keyboard etc, just to show how easy it is and how much fun it is to interact with the hardware at a higher level hand-in-hand with low-level control.

If you haven't already done so, download TeraTerm for WIndows or I'd recommend minicom for Linux which although it doesn't have a nice GUI, is nonetheless a very good terminal emulator. Perhaps you have a favorite editor that you like using, but I will be using the terminal inside of my new favorite, the Visual Studio Code editor which runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

• If Peter is presenting, heck yes! I’ll set an alarm (and crawl over several miles of broken glass) to see this!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2020-06-12 01:47
    Peter's presentation has officially been changed to Jun 17, 2020 08:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)!

We already have 20 registrations. All of them have been noted of the time change. The guest list is impressive, too - a "who's who" of Propeller 1 and 2 ecosystem.

We need more presentations to make this viable - one per week. Who's next?

Ken Gracey
  • ErNa wrote: »
    Is there a way to log the meeting and then replay it?

Yes, we'll record these and load to YouTube afterwards.

Ken Gracey
    1hr seems like too much... I could probably do 30 minutes... That's like an invited talk at a conference. 15 minutes might actually be better for a lot of people...
  • The schedule is 1 hr +/- 15 minutes, which could be 45 minutes.

But yes, shorter is always better and allow the time to be used for questions. For all presenters, I encourage keeping it relatively short.

Rayman, I need your help. I have access to about 140 HDMI 7" displays that I'd like to get in stock. I'd like somebody with some Propeller 2 video experience to test them out for Parallax. Can you do that? If so, send me your shipping address kgracey@parallax.com.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
    In my line of work, the usual thinking is 1 minute per PowerPoint slide. So, 1 hour means 60 slides and that is a LOT of preparation...